PDA

View Full Version : Talking 'bout Churros and ballpark food

PaleHoseGeorge
11-30-2004, 08:50 PM
....Besides, exactly WHAT ELSE do you guys want to talk about in the Sox Clubhouse during the offseason? Perhaps another thread on why we should have green seats in the ballpark? The saturated fat contact of the churros, perhaps?
We've had countless threads about green seats. However we've never discussed the saturated fat content of churros. Time to get busy.
:wink:

I'll start.

I'm not exactly sure what the fat content of churro might be. They are roughly the same size as a donut and nearly identical in texture and taste. How much fat is inside a donut?
:dunno:

As far as I'm concerned a churro is far more delicious than a donut. So even if a churro had more fat calories than a Big Mac I wouldn't mind. It's all about Sox baseball, David Berg kosher dogs, churros, and Chevrolets.
:cool:

DaveIsHere
11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
We've had countless threads about green seats. However we've never discussed the saturated fat content of churros. Time to get busy.

I'll start.

I'm not exactly sure what the fat content of churro might be. They are roughly the same size as a donut and nearly identical in texture and taste. How much fat is inside a donut?

As far as I'm concerned a churro is far more delicious than a donut. So even if a churro had more fat calories than a Big Mac I wouldn't mind. It's all about Sox baseball, David Berg kosher dogs, churros, and Chevrolets.

Not Chevrolets, It's Dodge's

ilsox7
11-30-2004, 08:54 PM

I'll start.

From "Calorie, Fat, and Carbohydrate Counter" (it's a book), a 10 inch churro, or 1.2 ounces has 140 calories, 9 grams of fat, and 12 grams of carbs. Unfortunately there is no mention of saturated fat.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-30-2004, 09:02 PM
From "Calorie, Fat, and Carbohydrate Counter" (it's a book), a 10 inch churro, or 1.2 ounces has 140 calories, 9 grams of fat, and 12 grams of carbs. Unfortunately there is no mention of saturated fat.
Okay, so at 9 calories per gram of fat, that means 81 of the 140 calories inside a churro come from fat. That means churros belong to the very top of the Food Pyramid.

See, I always knew churros were the King of Foods.
:bandance:

34 Inch Stick
12-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Give me 10 inches and make it hurt.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Okay, so at 9 calories per gram of fat, that means 81 of the 140 calories inside a churro come from fat. That means churros belong to the very top of the Food Pyramid.

See, I always knew churros were the King of Foods.
:bandance:I thought everyone knew this: Calories consumed at baseball games don't count.:tongue:

A.T. Money
12-01-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm not a big fan of churros. They are a little bit too dry.

SOXSINCE'70
12-01-2004, 10:44 AM

I'll start.

No way,dude.Kosher hot dogs and
Sportschip cookies (Oatmeal Raisin) rule!!
:D: :D: :bandance: :bandance:

wdelaney72
12-01-2004, 10:44 AM
I'd like to ask whatever happened to the Italian Beef /Sausage combo that used to be available. To me, it was one of the best food items available at the Cell.

Churo's are OK, but I'll go with the pretzel with cheese.

Iguana775
12-01-2004, 10:51 AM
what an entertaining thread. :supernana:

Foulke You
12-01-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of churros. They are a little bit too dry.
Blasphemy!:D:

MushMouth
12-01-2004, 01:46 PM
I thought we had Kosher Best, not David Berg dogs?

Anyway, just had me a nice Fluky's dog and am still burping up sport peppers. I really do with they had real "chicago-style" toppings at the Cell.

mweflen
12-01-2004, 02:52 PM

Anyway, just had me a nice Fluky's dog and am still burping up sport peppers. I really do with they had real "chicago-style" toppings at the Cell.
I think it's cheap and stupid that onions, relish, ketchup and mustard are the only condomint choices. Where are the pickles? Where the tomatos? The peppers? (Which they already have for nachos, btw) The celery salt? (okay, i never saw the appeal, but I had to throw it in)

The Sox should not rest on their sausage laurels. Yes, we have the best ballpark dogs in the city. But management's contentment with mediocrity just makes me sick!

mweflen
12-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Personally, I believe you can't go wrong with the Bavarian Creme filled ones. This also would have to effect the saturated fat content, wouldn't you think?:D:I like the creme ones the best, as well. Creates a nice rich counterpoint to the sugar/saltiness of the outer shell. Jelly just doesn't cut it.

I wish the things weren't $2, though. I think that's a rip. $1.50 or even $1 would be much more palatable.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-01-2004, 03:28 PM
I like the creme ones the best, as well. Creates a nice rich counterpoint to the sugar/saltiness of the outer shell. Jelly just doesn't cut it.

I wish the things weren't $2, though. I think that's a rip. $1.50 or even $1 would be much more palatable.
I think churros must be marketed to the masses who would like to sample what churros taste like but may be scared off by the high initial cost of buying one.

The White Sox are being cheap, timid, and stupid not to price churros at a more popular price point. As somebody once noted, "You have to spend money to make money!"
:gulp:

Foulke You
12-01-2004, 03:42 PM
I like the creme ones the best, as well. Creates a nice rich counterpoint to the sugar/saltiness of the outer shell. Jelly just doesn't cut it.

Agreed. Those things disappear much to quickly to cost $2. But don't fret, I'm sure with every bite of churro, we are taking one more step towards the median payroll in the American League.:smile:

mweflen
12-01-2004, 04:02 PM
I think churros must be marketed to the masses who would like to sample what churros taste like but may be scared off by the high initial cost of buying one.

The White Sox are being cheap, timid, and stupid not to price churros at a more popular price point. As somebody once noted, "You have to spend money to make money!"
:gulp:They should at least discount the churros in the Upper Deck, to offset the 15% price increases there. People in the other sections of the park can afford to pay $2 for a churro. Once the word gets out, the UD will be crammed to the gills every game!

No wait... they should decrease the quality of the churro and still raise the prices. Yes... that seems much more appropriate somehow...

Actually, in all seriousness, some sort of value meal might be a great idea to both increase revenues and ease the hit on fans' pocketbooks. For instance, most people will buy a dog and a beer or soda, which comes out to about $9. Why not make the value meal $10 and throw in a churro or a pretzel or something? People spend $1 more than they planned, but feel fuller and more satisfied afterward. The Sox make $1 more than they would have, which still more than clears the cost of a churro or pretzel (20 cents? 30?)

Convince people that they're getting a deal and they'll love you for it. Oh yeah... that explains fans' attitudes towards sox management...

PaleHoseGeorge
12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
They should at least discount the churros in the Upper Deck, to offset the 15% price increases there. People in the other sections of the park can afford to pay $2 for a churro. Once the word gets out, the UD will be crammed to the gills every game!
Compare the simple yet noble churro with the bourgeois decadence of the Club Level's chocolate turtles. It's no comparison!

Churros for the masses!

voodoochile
12-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Got to agree with the creme Churro choice.

I like the idea of discount churros in the UD too...

A.T. Money
12-01-2004, 05:53 PM
If they started to sell Krispy Kremes at the Sox games, they might put the Churro stands out of business! LOL.

Mohoney
12-01-2004, 07:15 PM
They should at least discount the churros in the Upper Deck, to offset the 15% price increases there. People in the other sections of the park can afford to pay $2 for a churro. Once the word gets out, the UD will be crammed to the gills every game!

No wait... they should decrease the quality of the churro and still raise the prices. Yes... that seems much more appropriate somehow...

Actually, in all seriousness, some sort of value meal might be a great idea to both increase revenues and ease the hit on fans' pocketbooks. For instance, most people will buy a dog and a beer or soda, which comes out to about $9. Why not make the value meal $10 and throw in a churro or a pretzel or something? People spend $1 more than they planned, but feel fuller and more satisfied afterward. The Sox make $1 more than they would have, which still more than clears the cost of a churro or pretzel (20 cents? 30?)

Convince people that they're getting a deal and they'll love you for it. Oh yeah... that explains fans' attitudes towards sox management...
They do have value meals. Hot dog, small soda, and a Big Grab of potato chips; or burger, small soda, and curly fries.

I get 'em all the time, unless I'm in the mood for something else.

Then again, I usually eat about $20 worth of food during the game anyway, so sometimes I'll top off a burger value meal with a beef sandwich.

FightingBillini
12-01-2004, 08:11 PM
To me, the best food item at the Cell is the bratwurst topped off with warm sauerkraut and brown mustard. Best brat I have ever tasted, at a park or not. Though I imagine the brats at Miller Park would give them a run for their money.
I went to a game at the urinal and ordered a brat before. They handed me a shriveled little hotdog-sized brat in a bun that looked like someone smashed it in their fist. The worst part is that they lied and said they had sauerkraut. When I went to the condiment table, all they had was packets of mustard. The food is HORRIBLE at the Urinal.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-01-2004, 08:37 PM
They do have value meals. Hot dog, small soda, and a Big Grab of potato chips; or burger, small soda, and curly fries.
It's called an All-Star Value Meal and is available at any of the Shortstop Grill food stands. Pants & Sweetpea have one nearly everytime we go to the ballpark.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 08:43 PM
It's called an All-Star Value Meal and is available at any of the Shortstop Grill food stands. Pants & Sweetpea have one nearly everytime we go to the ballpark.
:cool:I'm a sucker for the grilled kosher dogs. With grilled onions. The stand is right behind my seats, and my stomach starts rumbling by the bottom of the 1st.

batmanZoSo
12-01-2004, 09:56 PM

I'll start.

I don't really care for those things. I had one and it was cold and I felt it should have had more cinnamon and sugar on the outside. Plus the chocolate filling wasn't very good, it had a really whipped texture and it almost tasted like it was diet..like it was made with Equal or something. I like funnel cakes a lot better, but they're so horrible for you I rarely get one. I just get a polish with like a whole onion sliced and grilled with plenty of mustard and a pepsi.

batmanZoSo
12-01-2004, 10:01 PM
If they started to sell Krispy Kremes at the Sox games, they might put the Churro stands out of business! LOL.
Talk about something horribly overrated. Krispy Kremes are all air and they only have one good donut and that's the glazed. Dunkin Donuts is ten times better and have a much better variety. Not to mention their donuts are much heartier and filling. When I eat a KK I'm like what the hell, did I just eat something or didn't I?

Rocklive99
12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
The corn at those stands are underrated. Last year I tried the curly fries for the first time, and wow! Also, I always try to get nachos.Hot dogs are okay, mine are always burnt though.

Al Capone
12-02-2004, 12:11 AM
I agree....after i eat a dozen or so of kk specialties......i kinda feel full....but its like asian food...your hungerier an hour later

jake27
12-02-2004, 12:33 AM
ballpark food is way to expensive for me. i fill up at o'malleys before the game so i dont spend $10 on food at the game :cool:

nasox
12-02-2004, 09:37 AM
where else to they sell churros in sports? I havent had one at another place (but go to pilsen and you can get them a dime a dozen-well not that cheap, but still.)

nasox
12-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Talk about something horribly overrated. Krispy Kremes are all air and they only have one good donut and that's the glazed. Dunkin Donuts is ten times better and have a much better variety. Not to mention their donuts are much heartier and filling. When I eat a KK I'm like what the hell, did I just eat something or didn't I?
I completely agree. I had a creme filled KK and it sucked ass. But, I do like the glazed. I have to tell you, all storebought donuts are terrible. COme to my house and I'll show the best donuts in town. Seriously, donuts are best homemade.

Procol Harum
12-02-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm a sucker for the grilled kosher dogs. With grilled onions. The stand is right behind my seats, and my stomach starts rumbling by the bottom of the 1st.
[Insert Homer Simpson drooling sound here] :bandance:

MushMouth
12-02-2004, 11:20 AM
The corn at those stands are underrated. Last year I tried the curly fries for the first time, and wow! Also, I always try to get nachos.Hot dogs are okay, mine are always burnt though.

Oh yeah - the Corn off the cob with chili, cheese and salt is a great meal. Add a kosher dog with grilled onions and mustard and a cold beer = HEAVEN for me

I still do think they should have authentic chicago dog toppings and a better Italian Beef at the park.

surfdudes
12-02-2004, 11:33 AM
To me, the best food item at the Cell is the bratwurst topped off with warm sauerkraut and brown mustard. Best brat I have ever tasted, at a park or not. Though I imagine the brats at Miller Park would give them a run for their money.
After 10 years of not having a real brat, I am taking this moment to get lost in the warm Sauerkraut/ Brats falling from the sky/scantilly clad Italian beef/swimming pool full of Old Style fantasy.............................

In the meantime, 2 giant big bags of fresh made Churros at the Tijuana/San Diego border for 10 pesos(1 dollar) Beats Krispy Kreme anyday.

SOXSINCE'70
12-02-2004, 12:07 PM

It's Best Kosher.To me,Vienna had the best kosher hot dogs,
but Best is pretty good as well.:D: :D:

maurice
12-02-2004, 12:08 PM
You can get churros in Bridgeport even on non-game days from the churro / Italian ice stand at 2520 S. Halsted (just South of Archer).

SOXSINCE'70
12-02-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm a sucker for the grilled kosher dogs.
That makes 2 of us.:D: :D:

mweflen
12-02-2004, 12:28 PM
My fave food item is also the grilled polish with cooked onions. I get one probably every other game I attend. All this talk about creme churros is unnaturally inflating them in my mind - so right now they're number 2.

Ditto the desire for real chicago toppings on dogs. I wish they gould plop a gold coast dogs stand (IMHO Chicago's best dog) onto the concourse. That would be SWEET.

mjharrison72
12-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Talk about something horribly overrated. Krispy Kremes are all air and they only have one good donut and that's the glazed. Dunkin Donuts is ten times better and have a much better variety. Not to mention their donuts are much heartier and filling. When I eat a KK I'm like what the hell, did I just eat something or didn't I?And then you keel over from a glazed donut lodged in your aorta.
I agree, though... I'll take Dunkin' any day over KK... and the coffee's better at Dunkin', too.

TornLabrum
12-02-2004, 06:49 PM
where else to they sell churros in sports? I havent had one at another place (but go to pilsen and you can get them a dime a dozen-well not that cheap, but still.)
Kane County has a churro stand.

Chrisaway
12-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Silver Cross Field (Joliet Jackhammers) has no churros, nor a talented ballclub.

Chrisaway
12-02-2004, 07:18 PM
But yeah over the past few years churros are one of the things I'll always look forward to on my way to the Cell.

Thing I always look forward to...
Churros
BP (talking to the players/possibly collecting a sig or 2)
Standing up and saluting Frank whenever he bats (almost always guarantees at least one home run)
a cold beer(since 2001) and a hot dog
talking baseball with random fans
high fiving said random fans after a good play
a White Sox winner
thet guy playing the simpsons theme in the parking lot afterwards

SouthSide_HitMen
12-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Ditto the desire for real chicago toppings on dogs. I wish they gould plop a gold coast dogs stand (IMHO Chicago's best dog) onto the concourse. That would be SWEET.Blasphemy. If they are going to put a North Side Hot Dog Joint into Comiskey it has to be either Superdawg or Wallys (Central / Diversey - torn down for a friggin Walgreens - Leon's skinless franks).

I pick up Maxwells on 31st or get a few dogs (with some Bud) at Jimbos before the game.

batmanZoSo
12-02-2004, 07:56 PM
I completely agree. I had a creme filled KK and it sucked ass. But, I do like the glazed. I have to tell you, all storebought donuts are terrible. COme to my house and I'll show the best donuts in town. Seriously, donuts are best homemade.
Storebought glazed are pretty good..the ones that remain wet. They have the density of bread, but still taste like a great donut.

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Im suprised no one has brought NACHOS up yet. NACHOS are my favorite of ball park food believe it or not. Hot Dogs come in a close 2nd. I love the Aztec Nachos with nice hot cheese, and jalapeņo peppers. Mmmmmm. So good, So tasty, and so hot. Top that off with a nice cool pepsi and you're set. :cool: :gulp:

markfromthechi
12-02-2004, 10:10 PM
i'm a fan of nachos at the ballpark.....

1) they are unbelievably tasty

and....

2) they last for more than four bites (like hot dogs)

everytime i go to a game, which is about three a year, nachos is what i go for, unless of course it is dollar hot dog day..... then hot dogs win out no doubt...