PDA

View Full Version : Gag! Wretch! SI's "Sportsmen of the Year"

PaleHoseGeorge
12-01-2004, 05:14 PM
My copy just arrived. This year's Sportsmen of the Year is given to...

Red Sox Nation.

The cover is a mosiac comprised of a few thousand tiny photos of Red Sox players and fans.

I'm sure "Cubs Nation" is insanely jealous. "But we're cursed, too!"

Sox Fans do not suffer fools easily.
:mad:

thepaulbowski
12-01-2004, 05:25 PM
:chunks

That's what I think about that.

maurice
12-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Clearly, the Red Sox Nation is more deserving than, say, Lance Armstrong or Pat Tillman.

Kilroy
12-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I pulled my copy out of the mail box and looked at the cover as I was walking up my drive. When I saw that, I just yelled out "That's Bull****!"

soxfan26
12-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Lance Armstrong
No way that guy never had to overcome 'a curse' to win!

Way to go SI!!

kraut83
12-02-2004, 08:14 AM
We are never going to hear the end of this red sox lovefest.

eriqjaffe
12-02-2004, 08:21 AM
We are never going to hear the end of this red sox lovefest.It could be worse. It could've been the Cubs.

34 Inch Stick
12-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Anybody else tired of hearing the phrase _______ Nation? Like "walk off home run" it was good when it was underused. Now every fanbase of teams from across the country are termed a "Nation". Illinois football has very little following within the state yet they are big enough for a "Nation"?

The Red Sox and their nation can bite me.

Baby Fisk
12-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Clearly, the Red Sox Nation is more deserving than, say, Lance Armstrong or Pat Tillman.Lance won it last year, and was even more deserving of it this year. :angry:

Risk
12-02-2004, 08:55 AM
This may finally be the straw that breaks the camel's back and force me to finally cancel my subscription. Should have been Pat Tillman.

Risk

C-Dawg
12-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Anybody else tired of hearing the phrase _______ Nation? Now every fanbase of teams from across the country are termed a "Nation".

Yes!! I'm sick and tired of it!

In all honesty, the first time I heard of the term was last October when the Cubs were in the playoffs. The first thought that came to me was "Huh, I guess hopping on a bandwagon puts you into a Nation..."

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Anybody else tired of hearing the phrase _______ Nation? Like "walk off home run" it was good when it was underused. Now every fanbase of teams from across the country are termed a "Nation". Illinois football has very little following within the state yet they are big enough for a "Nation"?

The Red Sox and their nation can bite me. White sox fans need to create something....how about White Sox PLANET? :smile:

WinningUgly!
12-04-2004, 12:10 PM
White sox fans need to create something....how about White Sox PLANET? :smile:
For the bazillionth time, it's WHITE SOX WORLD! :tongue:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/EARTH2.JPG

C-Dawg
12-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Quoting myself:

The first thought that came to me was "Huh, I guess hopping on a bandwagon puts you into a Nation..."

I think my new signature will be:

CUB NATION - Just hop on the bandwagon!

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-04-2004, 12:38 PM
For the bazillionth time, it's WHITE SOX WORLD! :tongue:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/sigs/EARTH2.JPG Ahhh, I forgot the exact wording but I remember that picture in your sig before. Why'd you get rid of it? :whiner:

voodoochile
12-04-2004, 12:40 PM
I imagine there are a few femainst BoSox fans who are NOT pleased with this award...:o:

DumpJerry
12-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Forget ______nation. Back in the 70's, out slogan was "You're in Sox Country!"

We thought it up first.....

sdwebguy
12-05-2004, 03:49 AM
I don't see why there is all the hate for the success of the Red Sox. This never gets old.

SoxFan76
12-05-2004, 04:11 AM
I don't see why there is all the hate for the success of the Red Sox. This never gets old.
PAT TILLMAN!!!

I said I'd never post drunk again, but I genuinely think that it's a travesty that the Red Sox "Nation" gets picked over Pat Tillman and Lance Armstrong.

sdwebguy
12-05-2004, 10:49 AM
PAT TILLMAN!!!

I said I'd never post drunk again, but I genuinely think that it's a travesty that the Red Sox "Nation" gets picked over Pat Tillman and Lance Armstrong.

Pat Tillman was a great hero but he was no longer a "Sportsman" While the Lance Armstrong win was spectacular, it was not unexpected. I have a feeling you'd feel much differently if it were a different color Sox on the cover.

voodoochile
12-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Pat Tillman was a great hero but he was no longer a "Sportsman" While the Lance Armstrong win was spectacular, it was not unexpected. I have a feeling you'd feel much differently if it were a different color Sox on the cover.
And I suspect people would feel differently if they gave the award to say Curt Schilling for pitching spectacularly on an ankle and a half.

To give it to the freaking fans is just plain silly...

Why do you feel the need to compulsively defend the BoSox? Maybe because for all that talk about the Yankees buying championships and your boys bemoaning their fate, the truth is your team was almost entirely composed of free agents and not a single true star of the team - a guy who seriously made a difference in the outcome of the pennant and WS was homegrown.

Hope you folks had fun buying your championship... Wish it were me...:rolleyes:

sdwebguy
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
And I suspect people would feel differently if they gave the award to say Curt Schilling for pitching spectacularly on an ankle and a half.

To give it to the freaking fans is just plain silly...

Why do you feel the need to compulsively defend the BoSox? Maybe because for all that talk about the Yankees buying championships and your boys bemoaning their fate, the truth is your team was almost entirely composed of free agents and not a single true star of the team - a guy who seriously made a difference in the outcome of the pennant and WS was homegrown.

Hope you folks had fun buying your championship... Wish it were me...:rolleyes:

Yes, right, the Red Sox are the Rotisserie type of collection of superstars like the Yankees. You obviously don't know much about baseball if you believe that to be the case. The roster is full of guys rejected by or traded away from other teams with two big name free agents (Foulke and Ramirez). One a side note, they didn't give the award to the fans, they just wrote about the fans, it was given to the team.

voodoochile
12-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Yes, right, the Red Sox are the Rotisserie type of collection of superstars like the Yankees. You obviously don't know much about baseball if you believe that to be the case. The roster is full of guys rejected by or traded away from other teams with a two big name free agents (Foulke and Ramirez). One a side note, they didn't give the award to the fans, they just wrote about the fans, it was given to the team.
Didn't the Yankees trade for some of their big acquisitions too?

What does that have to do with my point?

Your team is the second highest paid roster in the majors and has almost ZERO home grown talent.

So climb off the high horse here. Just because you traded for other teams highly paid free agents, doesn't make it better. And again, don't misunderstand me, I would love for the Sox to do the same.

If they gave it to the team, why not just give the award to the Boston Red Sox. When they gave it to the fans too (hence the name on the award "Red Sox NATION" they crossed a line. Isn't the award supposed to go to people who not only win but win classy? Have Red Sox fans earned that designation this past post-season? Have they earned it in the past? :dunno:

I didn't bother reading the article to be honest and really don't care to. My beef is with people like you who feel the need to come here and say, "You hate us and I love it." It just proves my point.

Where's Fenway when we need him? Now there's a class act of a BoSox fan...

NonetheLoaiza
12-07-2004, 12:27 PM
wait, pat tillman is not a sportsman, but red sox nation is? pretty terrible tillman wasnt on the cover.

ode to veeck
12-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Red Sox Nation gimme a break, though I could see the Red Sox team getting consideration for their unprecedented comeback from being 0-3 against the Yanks.

Lance Armstrong is certainly deserving of a Sportsman of the Year award. His domination of one of the most gruelling sports events period, is unprecedented.

sdwebguy
12-07-2004, 02:38 PM
...My beef is with people like you who feel the need to come here and say, "You hate us and I love it." It just proves my point....

I proves nothing. I don't know why you are so nasty. I never said any of that "You hate us and I love it." kind of crap that you accuse me of. If I had, that would make me a Yankee fan. This is a White Sox forum and I will always remember that, but you obviously have a stick up your ass when it comes to the Red Sox and/or large market teams. I suggest therapy.

doublem23
12-07-2004, 02:56 PM
If I still didn't live in Illinois, I think the Red Sox would have surpassed the Cubs for most intolerable fanbase.

:chunks

TommyJohn
12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
I proves nothing. I don't know why you are so nasty. I never said any of that "You hate us and I love it." kind of crap that you accuse me of. If I had, that would make me a Yankee fan. This is a White Sox forum and I will always remember that, but you obviously have a stick up your ass when it comes to the Red Sox and/or large market teams. I suggest therapy.
Great idea. I'll do that as soon as the "nation" gets therapy to deal with their
obsession with the Yankees. Fair enough?

FarWestChicago
12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
I proves nothing. I don't know why you are so nasty. I never said any of that "You hate us and I love it." kind of crap that you accuse me of. If I had, that would make me a Yankee fan. This is a White Sox forum and I will always remember that...You're right, this is a White Sox board. Go troll elsewhere, dumbass. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/troll.gif

sdwebguy
12-07-2004, 04:35 PM
I apologize if I offended any of you. We can agree to disagree in a civil fashion and you are right we do have a hangup regarding the Yankees or did.

JKryl
12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
_______________Nation is kind of like the old, "America's Team". I still get ticked off when I think of that one. Just whoever appointed the Cowboys or Scrubs as, "Americas Team" anyway? :angry: Hopefully, _________Nation will die out a lot quicker. :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

longshot7
12-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I imagine there are a few femainst BoSox fans who are NOT pleased with this award...:o:
why?

voodoochile
12-08-2004, 04:18 PM
why?
Because it's not gender neutral... It was a joke...