PDA

View Full Version : Hold onto your lunch, folks.....

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 03:01 PM
From today's column in the Trib by Dave Van Dyck:

Sosa back on the South Side would make sense in many ways. First, U.S. Cellular Field has become a home run haven, the seats easily reachable for the slimmed-down Sosa. Second, Sosa would be reunited with, and perhaps re-energized by, former teammates: manager Ozzie Guillen, hitting coach Greg Walker and, briefly, Williams himself.http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041130cubsvandyckonbaseball,1,7848547.story?coll=c s-cubs-headlines

Rocky Soprano
12-01-2004, 03:08 PM
:kukoo:

Does anyone have this moron's e-mail?

idseer

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041130cubsvandyckonbaseball,1,7848547.story?coll=c s-cubs-headlines
that isn't even funny. :o:

SomebodyToldMe
As I've said elsewhere, ff this were to EVER happen, I would shave every part of my body, cover my body in gas, go to Comiskey, then set myself on fire right there.

Kogs35
12-01-2004, 03:09 PM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-041130cubsvandyckonbaseball,1,7848547.story?coll=c s-cubs-headlinesi was waiting for some1 to post this. ive lost all respect for the former fox sports columnist Dave Van Dyck. trading for sosa is like the john starks trade in 98 comeing to the bulls.

soxfan26
12-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Fascinating, but probably fantasy league stuff.
Let's all take a deep breath...

Justafan
12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
It might be the most moronic suggestion I have ever read. Get rid of Magglio because the Sox are too cheap to sign him and sign a guy who is clearly on the downside of his career and is 6 years older. Not even JR and KW are this dumb.

tebman
12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Let's all take a deep breath...
Good advice. I just came back in off the ledge.

- tebman

wdelaney72
12-01-2004, 03:19 PM
The only explanation I can think of...

:bong:

ma_deuce
12-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Sammy back in the South Side!?!?!? That's Unpossible!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/crack_pipe021105.jpg

Dude, step away from the crack pipe...

DumpJerry
12-01-2004, 03:24 PM
I saw this when I read my paper this morning and thought "how desperate are the Flubs to get rid of this guy?" I mean, trading him to the Sox? Can't they find a more subtle way to start rumors? Come on, even the ivory tower dolts at Tribune Co. must know that Scammy will never be welcomed back on the South Side and also we have Joe Borchard, so we're set in RF.

I think the Flubs are stuck with the bum. Plain and simple.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 03:26 PM
I saw this when I read my paper this morning and thought "how desperate are the Flubs to get rid of this guy?" I mean, trading him to the Sox? Can't they find a more subtle way to start rumors? Come on, even the ivory tower dolts at Tribune Co. must know that Scammy will never be welcomed back on the South Side and also we have Joe Borchard, so we're set in RF.

I think the Flubs are stuck with the bum. Plain and simple.Obviously a rumor started by KW so that Sox fans will be happy to see Joe Borchard in RF this year. Pretty devious.

jabrch
12-01-2004, 03:26 PM
This is about to be the most unpopular post in a long time...

But if the Cubs are GIVING HIM AWAY - lets say we give them Everett - AND ARE WILLING TO PAY ALL 25mm of his deal for next year less the 4mm that Carl is making, in addition to all the money that he might want to waive his 10/5 rights, then I'd take him...

Salary would be the same as Crazy Carl...and he'd be no worse than Joe Borchard. Now I'd still hate him. But he might actually help this team...

LET THE FIRING SQUAD BEGIN....

DumpJerry
12-01-2004, 03:35 PM

But if the Cubs are GIVING HIM AWAY - lets say we give them Everett - AND ARE WILLING TO PAY ALL 25mm of his deal for next year less the 4mm that Carl is making, in addition to all the money that he might want to waive his 10/5 rights, then I'd take him...

Salary would be the same as Crazy Carl...and he'd be no worse than Joe Borchard. Now I'd still hate him. But he might actually help this team...

LET THE FIRING SQUAD BEGIN....I think Jabrch is on to something. We do the deal and then release him or put finely ground pepper in his shirts so he'll be on the DL all season. Of course, to make it worthwhile for the Sox, the Flubs will have to pick up all of Everett's salary. We will then use the money freed up by Everett to sign Matt Clement.

mweflen
12-01-2004, 03:37 PM

LET THE FIRING SQUAD BEGIN....Can't... stop... self... from... agreeing... with Jabrch....:thud:

A pretty sad state of affairs when the things we get the most excited about are the realistic probailities of Cubs castoffs coming to the Sox... Nomar, Clement, Lieber, Sosa, Alou, Walker...

Give me Lieber and Hollandsworth and call it a day!

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 03:41 PM

LET THE FIRING SQUAD BEGIN....I'd rather sign William Ligue to play RF.

It would be a tossup as to which would get booed more.

SomebodyToldMe
12-01-2004, 03:41 PM

Dear Lord...For some reason...I don't mind that...Carl's on of the only people I wouldn't mind getting rid of...

Must...Get back...to...reality.

jake27
12-01-2004, 03:42 PM
sosa on the white sox again?:chunks

mweflen
12-01-2004, 03:55 PM
:nandrolone "Meesa bein' so happy to bein' back here. Where deysa keepin Albert Belle's old bats again?"

Unregistered
12-01-2004, 04:00 PM
:nandrolone "Meesa bein' so happy to bein' back here. Where deysa keepin Albert Belle's old bats again?" Wait, is Jar Jar Binks playing the role of Sammy?

mweflen
12-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Wait, is Jar Jar Binks playing the role of Sammy?
I tried to think of the most annoying, unwelcome-presence speaker of broken english to compare Sammy with. It was just natural.

Justafan
12-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Since were on the subject, do any of you feel Sosa will NOT make the hall of fame? I say he is a lock, but stranger things have happened.

jabrch
12-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Since were on the subject, do any of you feel Sosa will NOT make the hall of fame? I say he is a lock, but stranger things have happened.
600 HRs..probably 700 if he plays 3-4 more years...

FIRST BALLOT LOCK

jabrch
12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Carl's on of the only people I wouldn't mind getting rid of...
There's a lot of guys I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Past Shingo, Freddy and Buehrle, I don't think there is a player on the team I'd regret losing if we got more than fair value for them. I like Lee/PK/Uribe...but if any of them can be traded to get us more than fair value....I wouldn't miss em.

mweflen
12-01-2004, 04:20 PM
600 HRs..probably 700 if he plays 3-4 more years...

FIRST BALLOT LOCK
the only possible derailment would be a potential drug scandal. which I wouldn't rule out, but it looks like Sosa's been careful about hiding it thus far.

Justafan
12-01-2004, 04:23 PM
the only possible derailment would be a potential drug scandal. which I wouldn't rule out, but it looks like Sosa's been careful about hiding it thus far.
Here is must see TV on friday night.

<LI>This Friday, Dec. 3, at 10 p.m.

In his debut report for "20/20," correspondent Martin Bashir has an exclusive interview with Victor Conte, who talks about his role in a doping scandal that has rocked the sports world.

DSpivack
12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
There's a lot of guys I wouldn't mind getting rid of. Past Shingo, Freddy and Buehrle, I don't think there is a player on the team I'd regret losing if we got more than fair value for them. I like Lee/PK/Uribe...but if any of them can be traded to get us more than fair value....I wouldn't miss em.
Add some guy named Thomas, and yeah I'd agree with that.

Jerome
12-01-2004, 04:37 PM
:mad: :(: :mad: :(: :mad: :(: :mad: :(:

If that were to ever happen, I would finally have a reason to hate this team. I could finally leave this team and cheer full-time for the A's. I would never cheer for the Sox again, or at least as long as he was on the team. I think after the boos at the all star game (he wore earplugs remember) Sosa would'nt even play hard for the Sox.

Charlie Ward on the Bulls is nothing compared to the absolute travesty this would be.

I know it sounds childish to all of the sudden hate your favorite team because they aquire one player, but I think here at WSI we all know what a complete sham Sosa is.

Chicago83
12-01-2004, 04:41 PM
As bad as this idea at first seems I really wouldn't mind seeing Sammy slugging in the cell. Look at it this way, you replace the offensive production of Jose Valentin and gain a RF who can field better than Everett. He may be a clubhouse cancer, but in the last year of a contract I think he might shut his mouth and just play. Assuming the cubs eat a LARGE portion of his contract, then I say why not bring Sammy back and get 40 HR out of him for cheap?

jordan23ventura
12-01-2004, 04:54 PM

Have we all gone MAD?!?!?!

The idiot that wrote this article is a perfect example of the many garbage 'sportswriters' in this town. If you are going to discuss a trade scenario, at least go off a rumor of something. Look at some facts or something. Discuss soemthing that may actually work for the two teams involved. This makes me angry not because the guy is a moron, but because I have to go to work every day and hate my job while this idiot gets paid for sitting in a Starbucks making stuff up. He didn't even do enough research to find out that the Sox are NOT looking to dramatically increase payroll and trying to focus on defense/pitching. Why do people like this have JOBS?

Dynamite article, Dave. That journalism school has really paid off.

Terry21fg
12-01-2004, 04:54 PM
The cubs can keep sosa, his boombox, personal trainer, steroids and everything else....the sox should want nothing to do with him...I don't care if he hits 90 HRs next year...I'd rather cheer for Joe B and his 190 K's....then a fake, arrogant, self centered, piece of crap like sammy sosa...and that's me being nice

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

jordan23ventura
12-01-2004, 04:56 PM
:mad: :(: :mad: :(: :mad: :(: :mad: :(:

If that were to ever happen, I would finally have a reason to hate this team. I could finally leave this team and cheer full-time for the A's. I would never cheer for the Sox again, or at least as long as he was on the team. I think after the boos at the all star game (http://toolbar.desktoptraffic.net/cgi-bin//ezlclk.fcgi?id=24) (he wore earplugs remember) Sosa would'nt even play hard for the Sox.

Charlie Ward on the Bulls is nothing compared to the absolute travesty this would be.

I know it sounds childish to all of the sudden hate your favorite team because they aquire one player, but I think here at WSI we all know what a complete sham Sosa is.
Thank you.

the_valenstache
12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
If that were to ever happen, I would finally have a reason to hate this team. I could finally leave this team and cheer full-time for the A's.

So long, then.

My ties to this team run a little bit deeper than a couple of grade-A feminine napkins being on our roster. I don't understand why so many of our own fans threaten to hate this team. Do it then. If it instills a sense of self-righteous pride in you, then brother, it's your right.

Funny thing is that I was talking with a Cubs fan friend of mine last night about how they'll never unload Sosa, but I'd take him on the White Sox if we paid him no more than 500K/season and made him stop hopping/blowing kisses/running to RF conditional upon sack beatings. Then maybe.

jordan23ventura
12-01-2004, 05:28 PM
So long, then.

My ties to this team run a little bit deeper than a couple of grade-A feminine napkins being on our roster. I don't understand why so many of our own fans threaten to hate this team. Do it then. If it instills a sense of self-righteous pride in you, then brother, it's your right.

Funny thing is that I was talking with a Cubs fan friend of mine last night about how they'll never unload Sosa, but I'd take him on the White Sox if we paid him no more than 500K/season and made him stop hopping/blowing kisses/running to RF conditional upon sack beatings. Then maybe.Go blow a kiss to your Cubs fan friend for me.

Being a diehard sportsfan in Chicago is just like any other bond in the real world. Usually, it's the thing you love the most that you can grow to hate the most. It's the people that are the biggest fans that get the angriest. If Sosa ever came to the South Side, I would say 'screw the organization' too. But, in time, I would go back again.

soltrain21
12-01-2004, 06:10 PM
The cubs can keep sosa, his boombox, personal trainer, steroids and everything else....the sox should want nothing to do with him...I don't care if he hits 90 HRs next year...I'd rather cheer for Joe B and his 190 K's....then a fake, arrogant, self centered, piece of crap like sammy sosa...and that's me being nice

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

That gets my vote for post of the week.

chisoxmike
12-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Sosa will NEVER...EVER... come back to the Sox. Can anybody even imagine the riots that would break out by Sox fans if this happend. The cell would be burnt down and fans would be breaking down doors for KW's head.

DumpJerry
12-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Ok, as an earlier poster said "take a deep breath."

Now, repeat after me:

"It aint gonna happen. It aint gonna happen. It aint gonna happen" 20 times.

A.T. Money
12-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Let's face it though, if Sosa came back here and hit 60 homeruns and we ended up in the playoffs, people will love him for it.

Besides, I'm sure he'd end up being a draw too.

I never understood why Sosa was such an enemy. He didn't turn his back on us like Ordonez is doing this year. He was traded in one of the biggest mistakes in Sox management history. He was just a late bloomer.

DumpJerry
12-01-2004, 07:05 PM
I never understood why Sosa was such an enemy. He didn't turn his back on us like Ordonez is doing this year. He was traded in one of the biggest mistakes in Sox management history. He was just a late bloomer.He is despised because he was the vehicle that set the Flubs' stock in the media skyrockting as every #%#^#&% Flub fan, young and old, idolized him and used him as the reason why the Flubs are the "it" team on Planet Earth. If Scammy had been a down to Earth, normal guy (like, say, Cal Ripkin), then we would not have so much animosity. But he epitomizes all the phoniness and shallowness of Flub culture which is antithetical to Sox (and baseball in general) culture. Even after being exposed as phony and charlatan, the media continued to make him out to be Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and Savior all rolled into one.

Then there is his use of rum bottles.

Other than that, he's an alright guy.

RedPinStripes
12-01-2004, 07:17 PM
The Sox have made some really dumb p.r. moves, but i dont think they're that dumb. Sosa is a cancer and they know it. Ever hear how many "boo's" over the cheers at the Cell when Sosa is on the field?

Never happen.

RKMeibalane
12-01-2004, 08:02 PM
As I've said elsewhere, ff this were to EVER happen, I would shave every part of my body, cover my body in gas, go to Comiskey, then set myself on fire right there.
Yes, but how do you really feel?

RKMeibalane
12-01-2004, 08:06 PM
You're thinking of John Starks. Charlie Ward never did anything to cause Bulls fans to hate him.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Let's face it though, if Sosa came back here and hit 60 homeruns and we ended up in the playoffs, people will love him for it.

Besides, I'm sure he'd end up being a draw too.

I never understood why Sosa was such an enemy. He didn't turn his back on us like Ordonez is doing this year. He was traded in one of the biggest mistakes in Sox management history. He was just a late bloomer.Yeah. That must be it. A late bloomer. Or maybe it was just having the right "fertilizer".

http://naturalhealthline.com/newsletter/15nov02/syringe.jpg

SomebodyToldMe
12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Yes, but how do you really feel?
Well...It all started when I could never become a banker.....

the_valenstache
12-01-2004, 09:56 PM
If Sosa ever came to the South Side, I would say 'screw the organization' too. But, in time, I would go back again.
As would I. But when someone says that they've been just waiting to jump ship and hop on some other team's bandwagon because of idiotic personnel moves, I wouldn't exactly call that being a diehard fan.

soxfan26
12-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Well...It all started when I could never become a banker.....
It was because you hated your father and you would do anything to displease him. Isn't THAT true?

TommyJohn
12-02-2004, 10:36 AM
I'd be interested in Les Grobstein's take if Sammelah came south. Remember,
he still speaks of "wife-beater Wil" Cordero and brags about how Cubbie fans
threatened to cancel ticket subscriptions if the Cubs got him. So, if Sammy
comes to the south side, will he become "rum bottle Sammy" or "corked bat
Sammy?"

I like and respect Les by the way. I'm just tweaking him on this.

nasox
12-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Even though we hate sosa, this deal doesn't make monetary sense. *** is this guy smoking? I gotta get me some of that. :tongue:

Dan H
12-02-2004, 10:44 AM
I'd rather take my chances with an expensive Ordonez than take on Sosa for nothing. Keep him away from us.

MisterB
12-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Well...It all started when I could never become a banker.....http://www.blacksword.currantbun.com/Posters/10006349.jpg

TommyJohn
12-02-2004, 11:22 AM
http://www.blacksword.currantbun.com/Posters/10006349.jpg
I'd like to see a tag of that with Lucy sporting a Sox hat. Didn't PHG put one
up once? I'm pretty sure someone did.

jabrch
12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
I guess there are two arguements...

1) Sosa would be bad for this team

and

2) Sosa is a piece of crap and we don't want him cuz we hate him

The former can not be considered definitely true if you go under the assumption that the deal would be Everett for Sosa and the Cubs picking up the entire difference in cost.

As far as the second goes, I accepted Albert Belle, knowing what a jagoff he was. I accepted Cordero. I accepted a littany of dip****s - because I felt they were better for the Sox. Sammy would be no different to me. If this team could find a way to improve their chances to win, I'd be all for it.

Jerome
12-02-2004, 03:43 PM
You're thinking of John Starks. Charlie Ward never did anything to cause Bulls fans to hate him.
Whoops. Those short Knicks PGs confuse me. You're right. Ward is now on Houston.

A.T. Money
12-02-2004, 03:44 PM
He is despised because he was the vehicle that set the Flubs' stock in the media skyrockting as every #%#^#&% Flub fan, young and old, idolized him and used him as the reason why the Flubs are the "it" team on Planet Earth. If Scammy had been a down to Earth, normal guy (like, say, Cal Ripkin), then we would not have so much animosity. But he epitomizes all the phoniness and shallowness of Flub culture which is antithetical to Sox (and baseball in general) culture. Even after being exposed as phony and charlatan, the media continued to make him out to be Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and Savior all rolled into one.

Everything you said is BS and you know it. It's because he sucked with us and went to the Cubs and became a future HOFer.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Everything you said is BS and you know it. It's because he sucked with us and went to the Cubs and became a future HOFer.No, Sosa was a tool when he played for the Rangers. He was a tool when he played for the Sox. "Uncoachable" is how I remember the Sox coaches characterizing him. He was a tool when he went to the Cubs. Then he discovered the magic of chemistry, and he started popping HR out like ping-pong balls. As a juiced-up tool, Cubs fans loved him, but Sox fans saw him for what he was. Now he's back to being just a regular tool again and the Cubs fans have turned on him with a vengance. But through it all, one thing has never changed. He's a tool, and he always will be a tool.

DumpJerry
12-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry
He is despised because he was the vehicle that set the Flubs' stock in the media skyrockting as every #%#^#&% Flub fan, young and old, idolized him and used him as the reason why the Flubs are the "it" team on Planet Earth. If Scammy had been a down to Earth, normal guy (like, say, Cal Ripkin), then we would not have so much animosity. But he epitomizes all the phoniness and shallowness of Flub culture which is antithetical to Sox (and baseball in general) culture. Even after being exposed as phony and charlatan, the media continued to make him out to be Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and Savior all rolled into one.

Everything you said is BS and you know it. It's because he sucked with us and went to the Cubs and became a future HOFer.
Everything you said is BS and you know it. It's because he sucked with us and went to the Cubs and became a future HOFer.Huh? Everything? So, you think Scammy is a humble down-to-Earth person like Cal Ripkin (or does Cal have a mega-ego like Scammy?). It is obvious by now that Scammy put up all those numbers with the Flubs while using roids (or did he finally hit puberty in his late 20's?). Come on, check record, the man's a phony and scam artist and we all know it.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
For what it's worth Sosa was traded primarily because he didn't get along with then hitting coach Walt Hriniak. For the record a number of other players didn't either which was why the Sox eventually fired him despite his reputation as a coach.

Also for the record Sosa did show promise with the Sox. He was the only outfielder in MLB in 1990 to have double figures in doubles, triples, home runs, stolen bases and outfield assists. The trouble was he went backwards in 1991 again in my opinion because of his disagreements with Hriniak.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
12-03-2004, 02:08 PM
For what it's worth Sosa was traded primarily because he didn't get along with then hitting coach Walt Hriniak. For the record a number of other players didn't either which was why the Sox eventually fired him despite his reputation as a coach.

Also for the record Sosa did show promise with the Sox. He was the only outfielder in MLB in 1990 to have double figures in doubles, triples, home runs, stolen bases and outfield assists. The trouble was he went backwards in 1991 again in my opinion because of his disagreements with Hriniak.

LipI don't think it was just Hriniak, although that was certainly part of it. I recall talk about continually throwing to the wrong base or missing the cutoff man (some things never change). And I definately recall that whenever he came up in the 9th with the game on the line, it was almost a sure K.

Tragg
12-03-2004, 08:24 PM
the seats easily reachable for the slimmed-down Sosa.
i.e no more 'roids.

No more homers either, unless he's got plenty of corked bats around