PDA

View Full Version : Houston makes an offer for Beltran; 6 years $13.5 million per.

santo=dorf
12-01-2004, 11:39 AM
http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/justice/blog/index.html

Based on conversations with club officials, the Astros appear ready to offer a six- or seven-year deal worth around $13.5 million per season.
New York newspapers have reported that the Yankees will offer $13 million a year. The Cubs will also be serious players, but the Angels, who are believed to be Beltran's first choice, may not be interested.
How many of you would be willing to give Beltran $13 million per year? I sure would. :nod:

Justafan
12-01-2004, 11:42 AM
That just cements the fact that Beltran will not be going back to Houston. You can bet that the Yankees or Cubs will be the team he plays for next year.

idseer
12-01-2004, 11:47 AM
http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/justice/blog/index.html

How many of you would be willing to give Beltran $13 million per year? I sure would. :nod:
i just couldn't.

samram
12-01-2004, 11:48 AM
That just cements the fact that Beltran will not be going back to Houston. You can bet that the Yankees or Cubs will be the team he plays for next year.
Well, I don't think he'll be back in Houston, but I'm not sure if he'll play for the Yanks or Cubs. I think the Dodgers will try to jump into this thing- there's a reason they've been trying to trade Green and/or Bradley. I also have a hard time believing that Beltran will sign anywhere for $13 million.

santo=dorf
12-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Well, I don't think he'll be back in Houston, but I'm not sure if he'll play for the Yanks or Cubs. I think the Dodgers will try to jump into this thing- there's a reason they've been trying to trade Green and/or Bradley. I also have a hard time believing that Beltran will sign anywhere for $13 million.
I think the Angels will overpay for him. They traded Guillen, and they said they would start Chone Figgins in CF if they couldn't get a CF in the offseason.

wdelaney72
12-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Due to the financial strains of Corky, and the need to sign a SS, I don't see the Cub signing Beltran.

I'm sure Houston's not done. I still think when it's all said and done, Beltran will stay in Houston.

Brian26
12-01-2004, 12:17 PM

As long as its not my money and it keeps the northside crybabies out of the playoffs for the next decade, it sounds good to me (regarding Houston's offer).

Rocky Soprano
12-01-2004, 12:24 PM
YES, please do it!

34 Inch Stick
12-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I wonder where that puts Magglio's value at now.

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Due to the financial strains of Corky, and the need to sign a SS, I don't see the Cub signing Beltran.

I'm sure Houston's not done. I still think when it's all said and done, Beltran will stay in Houston.If the Cubs manage to convince Gene Orza to allow them to drop the second year of Sosa's contract, his chance of getting traded goes up dramatically. Why the union would agree to this when they made such a big deal out of Rodriguez' contract last year is beyond me, but stranger things have happened. If they can unload Sosa, they could be a player in pursuing Beltran, but ultimately, I don't think they'd go for the number of year's he'll be demanding. After managing to unload one albatross, they'll be afraid to commit to another really long term deal.

Flight #24
12-01-2004, 02:32 PM
If the Cubs manage to convince Gene Orza to allow them to drop the second year of Sosa's contract, his chance of getting traded goes up dramatically. Why the union would agree to this when they made such a big deal out of Rodriguez' contract last year is beyond me, but stranger things have happened. If they can unload Sosa, they could be a player in pursuing Beltran, but ultimately, I don't think they'd go for the number of year's he'll be demanding. After managing to unload one albatross, they'll be afraid to commit to another really long term deal.
Simple. Cubs are 99.9% going to decline the option. So Sammy's '06 $$$ are limited to the buyout. If he gets the buyout guaranteed and drops the option, he gives up no $$$. So the union will agree. If necessary, he can probably even get the buyout bumped up a bit and get more guaranteed $$$ out of the deal (or get an extension at a cheaper price).

But as noted numerous times, the Mets would be stupid to trade for Sosa, even if they get to dump Floyd in the process. At least Cliff can play when healthy.