PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Clement/Pavano/Vazquez/Wright

A. Cavatica
12-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Apart from RJ, the pool of (rumored or actual) available starters includes Matt Clement, Carl Pavano, Javier Vazquez, and Jaret Wright. Which one would you most like to see signed? (Extra credit: rank order them.)

A. Cavatica
12-01-2004, 01:14 AM
My ordering, by the way: Vazquez, Clement, Pavano, Wright.

A. Cavatica
12-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Why all the love for Pavano? His career numbers really aren't that great. Not enough strikeouts.

MUsoxfan
12-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Why all the love for Pavano? His career numbers really aren't that great. Not enough strikeouts.
It's the "what have you done for baseball lately" theory coming in. The hot guys are 1) Pavano 2) Wright 3) Clement 4) Vazquez

spanishwhite
12-01-2004, 04:15 AM
It's the "what have you done for baseball lately" theory coming in. The hot guys are 1) Pavano 2) Wright 3) Clement 4) Vazquez
I think you hit it on the head. Sadly, if you look at Wright and Pavano, they have essentially the same stuff, similar stats, and similar career success. Yet I think Pavano will make twice as much as Wright. Not that I like either, I rather have a Vazquez who had a poor second half and has 4 plus pitches.

1)Vazquez 2)Clement 3)Wright 4)Pavano

SOXSINCE'70
12-01-2004, 08:15 AM
I'd like to see them sign Pavano,but rumor on this board
has it he's a Phillie soon.I've also heard rumors he might
be an Oriole soon.We'll see.:(:

fquaye149
12-01-2004, 08:37 AM
we won't sign pavano. might as well admit that now.

JRIG
12-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Vazquez, Clement, Pavano, Wright

We won't end up with any of them, so it doesn't matter too much. Wright scares me as a injury waiting to happen, as well as his success last year attributable to the Braves outstanding coaching staff. Pavano is a slightly better than average starter with a career-year last year. Vazquez and Clement, I think, can be top-of-the rotation type guys.

mweflen
12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Lieber, Vazquez, Pavano, Clement, Wright

bobj4400
12-01-2004, 12:44 PM
We won't end up with any of them, so it doesn't matter too much.
Agreed. I am at wit's end with this team. Will never stop being a fan, but it becomes harder and harder every year.

12-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Lets be realistic here, and i hope I'm wrong, but Pavano isn't happening, Toronto and Cleveland have the upper leg on Clement, Vazquez can only be had at the price of Paulie and Garland and thats IF the Yanks trade him....Wright seems to be...gulp....our best option...but I'll do the poll.....Vazquez (and Ozzie LOVES him), Clement, Pavano, Wright....get Jermaine Dye and Nomar then if Wright is are only arm

WhiteSoxFan84
12-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Take it for what it's worth, the Score reported that the Sox are after Jaret Wright and he could demand a 3 year, $15 million contract. Not bad in my mind. He's been successful in the AL before playing for the Indians, but also fell apart with the Indians. Maybe his careers back on track.

hold2dibber
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
All of these guys (and really, just about every FA starting pitcher other than maybe Radke) is flawed in some way (not that Radke's great or anything, but at least he's been relatively consistent and injury free). Of the four listed, I go:

(1) Pavano - I think he's reached his prime and will have a solid 3 to 5 year run where he puts up simliar numbers to his numbers last year.

(2) Vazquez - He's a fine no. 2 or 3 starter, despite his troubles last year. But I keep hearing rumors about his health. (As an aside, my ranking is based strictly on who I think will be best over the next few years - but if you factor in the fact that the Sox would have to trade talent to get Vazquez, whereas the other guys as FAs, he'd probably drop down to the bottom of the list (depending on what you'd have to give up to get him)).

(3) Clement - He's a good no. 3 or 4 but, as others have noted, his delivery seems to make him an arm injury waiting to happen.

(4) Wright - I like Wright a lot - when he's healthy, he's good and his numbers last year suggest he could be successful at the Cell. But because of his health problems, he's a big injury risk.

12-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Take it for what it's worth, the Score reported that the Sox are after Jaret Wright and he could demand a 3 year, $15 million contract. Not bad in my mind. He's been successful in the AL before playing for the Indians, but also fell apart with the Indians. Maybe his careers back on track.
I'd go 3 years 12

Jjav829
12-01-2004, 02:48 PM
We won't end up with any of them, so it doesn't matter too much.
Unfortunately, I agree. I have a feeling that in two weeks or so we'll all be in panic mode here as RJ will be in New York (with Vazquez in Arizona), Clement in Cleveland, Wright in Seattle, Pavano in Philly and we'll be holding out hope that we can beat out the Devil Rays for Russ Ortiz. :(:

nitetrain8601
12-01-2004, 04:52 PM
1)Vasquez

2)Wright

3)Clement/Pavano