PDA

View Full Version : Worst Sox Moment Ever

JUribe1989
11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi, I'm writing a story for my school paper and I was looking for a little input as to what Sox fans think is the worst Sox moment or trade ever?

rdivaldi
11-30-2004, 06:04 PM
In my lifetime, the worst Sox moment IMO is the day that they announced that the 1994 season was cancelled. This organization still hasn't recovered from that fiasco.

OEO Magglio
11-30-2004, 06:05 PM
For me it had to be that suicide squeeze in game 3 against seattle in 2000. I couldn't have felt worse after that play.

Baby Fisk
11-30-2004, 06:07 PM
1997 White Flag Trade: Worst. Moment. Ever. :angry:

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Didn't we have this thread a month or so ago?

Worst moment, hands down, is when it looked like the new Comiskey Park stadium deal was going down in flames and the Sox were going to St. Petersburg. I wanted to throw up.

Gosox1917
11-30-2004, 06:20 PM
While I never actually saw it, seeing the pics of Old Comiskey being torn down is definately in the top ten.

JUribe1989
11-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much guys, your a big help :minnie

Dan H
11-30-2004, 06:24 PM
In 1967 during the last year of one divisional play, the Sox were in second place one game out, with five to play in a four team race for first. They had a doubleheader against the lowly Kansas City A's (a year before they became the Oakland A's). Kansas City had lost 26 out of their last 34. The Sox lost both games and played themselves right out of contention. It was a big turning point for the franchise and the closest they have come to a World Series since 1959.

DumpJerry
11-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Tie:

1. The day JR and his crew bought the team.
2. The day the 1994 strike started.
3. The day we signed Jaime Navarro instead of Roger Clemens.
4. The day the Black Sox got busted.
5. Any day the Flubs are still in existence.
6. The day Frank Thomas retires (prospective).
7. Each season, the day we are eliminated from advancing to the World Series.

PaulDrake
11-30-2004, 06:31 PM
In 1967 during the last year of one divisional play, the Sox were in second place one game out, with five to play in a four team race for first. They had a doubleheader against the lowly Kansas City A's (a year before they became the Oakland A's). Kansas City had lost 26 out of their last 34. The Sox lost both games and played themselves right out of contention. It was a big turning point for the franchise and the closest they have come to a World Series since 1959. They lost the last five games of the 67 season and the first ten of 1968. The Go Go era was gone gone.

Jabroni
11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
1997: White Flag Trade
2000: Our offense completely disappearing against Seattle in the playoffs.

ZachAL
11-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Granted we weren't alive, but I dont think anything can even come close to when we threw the 1919 world series.

JUribe1989
11-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Who did the RBI bunt against us in 2000?

StillMissOzzie
11-30-2004, 06:50 PM
While throwing the world series is pretty bad indeed, it was way before my time. The worst Sox moment I have ever personally experienced was the play in the 1983 ALCS when the Dibber strayed too far past second base and got nailed. The rest is history...

SMO
:whiner:

Foulke You
11-30-2004, 06:52 PM
I think it was Mike Cameron.

JUribe1989
11-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks alot

chisoxmike
11-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Pinch hitter Carlos Guillen hit the RBI bunt off Keith Foulke in the bottom of the 9th of Game 3. Making a Seattle 2-1 win.

JUribe1989
11-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Baseball Curses Story (Sports/Opinion)

By Connor Smith

On October 27, 2004 the Boston Red Sox supposedly broke the Curse of the Bambino. You would think now that the Red Sox have broke out of their 86 years drought of not being baseball’s champs that all this baseball curse talk would tone down. You would be wrong. Now many players, media, and fans are focused on one curse. This curse is called the Billy Goat Curse, and supposedly it has been haunting the Chicago Cubs since 1945. Whether you are a fan of the Cubs, White Sox, or just a baseball fan you should be able to admit that the Billy Goat Curse is a completely made up and that the notion of a curse affecting a team’s play is ridiculous.

The story behind the curse goes like this. The owner of the Billy Goat Tavern, William Sianis, came to game 4 of the 1945 World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Detroit Tigers with his pet goat. He was allowed to enter and even paraded his goat around the playing field before the game started. He was later ejected from the stadium by the Chicago Cubs owner Philip Wrigley because of the goat’s foul stench. Sianis placed a curse on the Cubs when he was ejected and said they would never win a World Series again.

The first time this excuse was put to work was when the Cubs blew a ten game lead in their division in 1969, and ended up finishing second to the New York Mets. The Cubs won their division in 1984, but fell to the Padres in the NLCS. Many fans blame the loss on a crucial error by Leon Durham that allowed the Padres to take the final lead of the series. The most recent way the curse was put in to affect was in the 2003 playoffs. The Cubs were five defensive outs away from the World Series when a fan, Steve Bartman, deflected a foul ball that Moises Alou was trying to catch. Bartman had every right to catch the ball, being that it was already out of play and that is not interference. The Cubs ended up losing to the eventual World champions Marlins and some players and fans began bringing up the curse again.

To think that a curse could bring your team down is ridiculous. If the Cubs are cursed, then why aren’t other teams like the Mariners, White Sox, and Indians cursed. The Mariners have never won a world series so why don’t they have the curse of Mt. St. Helens? They did have their two worst seasons in 1980 and 2004, the years that Mt. St. Helens had major eruptions. The White Sox and Indians have the two longest American League World Series droughts so why aren’t they cursed? The White Sox could easily find moments like the Cubs have to blame on curses. These would include Jerry Dybzinski’s base running error in the 1983 ALCS that led to the Orioles defeating the White Sox and heading to the World Series. Or the squeeze bunt by pinch hitter Carlos Guillen that won the 2000 NLDS for the Mariners. This was Guillen’s only hit during the playoffs. It looked like the White Sox were on their way to a World Series in 1994, when the playoffs were cancelled due to a strike. The White Sox have never blamed these moments on a curse.

Lately, the Cubs and their fans have been finding anything to blame for their losses the past few years. The latest example is their feud with the announcers in which Dusty Baker, Kent Mercker, Todd Walker, and Moises Alou all criticized Steve Stone and Chip Caray for giving too much credit to the other teams.

So for all the fans out there that still believe in some form of a curse that is bringing your team down, please drop it and accept the fact that when your team loses it is nobody’s fault, but the team.

ja1022
11-30-2004, 07:17 PM
In my lifetime, the worst Sox moment IMO is the day that they announced that the 1994 season was cancelled. This organization still hasn't recovered from that fiasco.
Me too. I remember, as the strike wore on, holding to the belief that both sides would get their **** together and, at the very least there would be a post season. I remember kind of feeling really violated as a true die hard fan when they did finally cancel the whole deal. I mean, the team was that damn good.

Second for me would be Tito Landrum's home run off of Britt Burns in the top of the tenth in the '83 playoffs. I felt bad for Britt, and still believe if they win that one, they win the next one with Hoyt on the mound.

Parrothead
11-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Me too. I remember, as the strike wore on, holding to the belief that both sides would get their **** together and, at the very least there would be a post season. I remember kind of feeling really violated as a true die hard fan when they did finally cancel the whole deal. I mean, the team was that damn good.

Second for me would be Tito Landrum's home run off of Britt Burns in the top of the tenth in the '83 playoffs. I felt bad for Britt, and still believe if they win that one, they win the next one with Hoyt on the mound.
Too many to choose from.....but I say Black Sox hands down.

Remember all that the Sox were 1 game up on Cleveland when the strike occurred. It was not a sure thing that they were winning the World Series or even making it to the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
11-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Sigh.....so many over the past 45 years.

Sherm Lollar trying to score in Game #2 of the 59 Series.
Finishing one game behind the Yanks in 64
The last week collapse in 67
Bill Melton's injury in 72 (Sox finished five behind the A's)
Disco Demolition
Uncle Jerry getting the club instead of DeBartolo
Jerry Dybzinski in 83
Threatening to move the franchise
Hurt not willing to DH so the Sox could sign McGwire
Black Jack and Alex tipping their pitches in the 93 ALCS.
The abortion that was 1994
The 2000 ALDS
The collapse after leading by 2 with 18 to go in 2003.

Like the Energizer bunny, Sox 'worst moves' seems to go on and on.

Lip

ja1022
11-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Too many to choose from.....but I say Black Sox hands down.

Remember all that the Sox were 1 game up on Cleveland when the strike occurred. It was not a sure thing that they were winning the World Series or even making it to the playoffs.
True, but (repeating), they really were that damn good in '94. It's kind of like when the Sox were 3.5 games back at the White Flag trade. That 3.5 games back stat was misleading; Jerry was right in saying the Sox weren't going to catch Cleveland. Cleveland was a game back in '94 but they weren't going to catch the Sox.

Paulwny
11-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Sherm Lollar trying to score in Game #2 of the 59 Series.
LipAnd the unknown Larry Sherry coming into the games, in relief, and shutting down the sox. :whiner:

mike squires
11-30-2004, 08:13 PM
I gotta echo Jerry D's hang up in between short and third. I've got the tape, his body language tells everything. He knew his goose was cooked. I've said this before but Dempsy never touched Law at home plate during the collision, the worse news was Law never touched home either. Drysdale says, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when he realized he was caught. He was a deer in the headlights. Landrum would be a close second. It was no way Burns' fault. Why Larussa left him in to pitch the tenth I'll never know. We would have never won anyway. We had several missed chances and opportunities that last game...

SouthSide_HitMen
11-30-2004, 09:27 PM
I gotta echo Jerry D's hang up in between short and third. I've got the tape, his body language tells everything. He knew his goose was cooked. I've said this before but Dempsy never touched Law at home plate during the collision, the worse news was Law never touched home either. Drysdale says, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when he realized he was caught. He was a deer in the headlights. Landrum would be a close second. It was no way Burns' fault. Why Larussa left him in to pitch the tenth I'll never know. We would have never won anyway. We had several missed chances and opportunities that last game...
I never heard the TV broadcast of that fateful game - I was in the stands shocked about the horror I was witnessing (after staying overnight in the Comiskey Parking lot a few weeks earlier to get the tickets).

What was Willie Wonka's golden ticket into a possible White Sox pennant turned into a nightmare. Game 3 was even more evil but Game 4 had to be my personal in person worse Sox moment ever.

The worst Sox moment in my lifetime was all related:
A. Bill Veeck not having enough $ to run the team.
B. DeBartolo being rejected by the scum known as MLB ownership
C. Carpetbaggers Reinsdorf and Einhorn stealing the team - it reminded me of when Potter was buying "The Bailey Building & Loan" shares for $0.50 on the dollar.

The worst Sox moment ever was the 1919 Black Sox scandal and subsequent banning of great players, the best of which was Shoeless Joe Jackson.

chisoxmike
11-30-2004, 09:48 PM
In my lifetime

-'94 strike (I remember watching the final game.)
- 2000 playoffs
- 2003 September meltdown. (I remember the 2 game lead we had after 9/9/03 and thinking we were going deep into the playoffs)

chisoxmike
11-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Or the squeeze bunt by pinch hitter Carlos Guillen that won the 2000 NLDS for the Mariners. This was Guillenís only hit during the playoffs.

Nice paper, a little correction, it was the 2000 ALDS.

Ol Aches & Pains
11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
I suppose throwing the 1919 World Series has to be the worst, but here are a couple nobody mentioned:

:angry: The shabby way Carlton Fisk was released in 1993. They made him go to Cleveland with the team at the start of a road trip, and released him as soon as they got there. Then, when he tried to come back and visit his friends and former teammates during the playoffs, he wasn't allowed in the clubhouse.

:angry: The Ligues, for cryin' out loud. Most disgraceful thing I've ever seen on a baseball field. The whole country now has this image of Sox fans as drunken, tattooed yahoos.

:angry: Jaime Navarro. Okay, somebody did mention him, but sweet sufferin' Jesus, was he horrible! And they could have signed Roger Clemens, who wanted to come here, but the Sox brass, in their infinite wisdom decided he was washed up. So he went to Toronto, won two Cy Youngs in a row, and we were saddled with Navarro, the sorriest excuse for a major league pitcher I ever hope to see.

JUribe1989
11-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Nice paper, a little correction, it was the 2000 ALDS.
Whoops, thats a large mistake. Thanks for pointing it out

tebman
11-30-2004, 11:07 PM
I gotta echo Jerry D's hang up in between short and third. I've got the tape, his body language tells everything. He knew his goose was cooked. I've said this before but Dempsy never touched Law at home plate during the collision, the worse news was Law never touched home either. Drysdale says, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when he realized he was caught. He was a deer in the headlights. Landrum would be a close second. It was no way Burns' fault. Why Larussa left him in to pitch the tenth I'll never know. We would have never won anyway. We had several missed chances and opportunities that last game...The memory that haunts me to this day is the bottom of the 10th in that same game -- Greg Luzinski watching three pitches go by. He. Didn't. Even. Swing.

My wife and my mother and I had standing-room tickets for that game, and watched the whole thing from the scoreboard ramp on the LF side of the board. Britt Burns pitched the game of his life and the park fell into a deafening silence after Tito Landrum (Tito Landrum!) hit the home run to put the Orioles in the lead.

And The Bull didn't swing! That moment has served as a life metaphor for me ever since: Don't watch them go by--go down swinging!

- tebman

MikeW
11-30-2004, 11:12 PM
There are a lot of bad moments, but I suppose the fact that they have almost moved three times in the last 34 years is right up there. The first time in 1968-69 period when they played a lot of home games in Milwaukee. 1975, until Savior Bill Veeck came and saved them from Seattle, and of course 1988 when it looked very bleak and St Petersburg was almost a reality.

OurBitchinMinny
12-01-2004, 12:03 AM
My worst moment was being at the dome when the sox went belly up in 2003 and got swept by the twinkies and for all intents and purposes, eliminated. Just a sick feeling seeing all those pansies celebrate

DSpivack
12-01-2004, 02:55 AM
Being born in 1984, the worst moments for me were already mentioned.

The 1994 strike, not just because it killed the season for a team in first place that was a game or two away from the World Series the year before (Game 6, despite the dissapointment, of the ALCS started me on my way to be a Sox fan), not just because the Big Hurt was having his best year, not just because there were many records in MLB that were close to being broken, and not just because the Expos, for crying out loud, might just have been the best team in baseball. Also because it killed any momentum the Sox had in putting together a good team for years; they had good runs 1991-1994, and the strike killed that team.

Second was the series in Minny in 2003, yet strangely I was half-expecting them to collapse.

SOXSINCE'70
12-01-2004, 08:05 AM
In 1967 during the last year of one divisional play, the Sox were in second place one game out, with five to play in a four team race for first. They had a doubleheader against the lowly Kansas City A's (a year before they became the Oakland A's). Kansas City had lost 26 out of their last 34. The Sox lost both games and played themselves right out of contention. It was a big turning point for the franchise and the closest they have come to a World Series since 1959.I have a relative who refers to that moment as
"Black Wednesday".:(: BTW,one divisional play lasted
one more year.Divisional play started in 1969,not 1968.

Just thought i'd correct a small oversight.:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
12-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Top 10 "worsts"
1.The 1994 strike
2.The "white flag" trade
3.The Ligue mess
4.The entrance of "the sunshine boys"
(Reinsdorf and Einhorn.Jimmy Piersall came up with
the nickname,IIRC)
5.The Todd Ritchie trade
6.Choking in the '83 ALCS
7.Choking in the '93 ALCS
8.Choking in the 2000 ALCS
9.Navarro over Clemens
10.Any Sox season in the 1970's

(As i'm only 42,I can't say missing winning the pennant
in '64 and '67 or losing to the Dodgers in 6 in 1959.
I became a Sox fan in 1970 at the age of 8.)

TommyJohn
12-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Baseball Curses Story (Sports/Opinion)

By Connor Smith

On October 27, 2004 the Boston Red Sox supposedly broke the Curse of the Bambino. You would think now that the Red Sox have broke out of their 86 years drought of not being baseballís champs that all this baseball curse talk would tone down. You would be wrong. Now many players, media, and fans are focused on one curse. This curse is called the Billy Goat Curse, and supposedly it has been haunting the Chicago Cubs since 1945. Whether you are a fan of the Cubs, White Sox, or just a baseball fan you should be able to admit that the Billy Goat Curse is a completely made up and that the notion of a curse affecting a teamís play is ridiculous.

The story behind the curse goes like this. The owner of the Billy Goat Tavern, William Sianis, came to game 4 of the 1945 World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Detroit Tigers with his pet goat. He was allowed to enter and even paraded his goat around the playing field before the game started. He was later ejected from the stadium by the Chicago Cubs owner Philip Wrigley because of the goatís foul stench. Sianis placed a curse on the Cubs when he was ejected and said they would never win a World Series again.

The first time this excuse was put to work was when the Cubs blew a ten game lead in their division in 1969, and ended up finishing second to the New York Mets. The Cubs won their division in 1984, but fell to the Padres in the NLCS. Many fans blame the loss on a crucial error by Leon Durham that allowed the Padres to take the final lead of the series. The most recent way the curse was put in to affect was in the 2003 playoffs. The Cubs were five defensive outs away from the World Series when a fan, Steve Bartman, deflected a foul ball that Moises Alou was trying to catch. Bartman had every right to catch the ball, being that it was already out of play and that is not interference. The Cubs ended up losing to the eventual World champions Marlins and some players and fans began bringing up the curse again.

To think that a curse could bring your team down is ridiculous. If the Cubs are cursed, then why arenít other teams like the Mariners, White Sox, and Indians cursed. The Mariners have never won a world series so why donít they have the curse of Mt. St. Helens? They did have their two worst seasons in 1980 and 2004, the years that Mt. St. Helens had major eruptions. The White Sox and Indians have the two longest American League World Series droughts so why arenít they cursed? The White Sox could easily find moments like the Cubs have to blame on curses. These would include Jerry Dybzinskiís base running error in the 1983 ALCS that led to the Orioles defeating the White Sox and heading to the World Series. Or the squeeze bunt by pinch hitter Carlos Guillen that won the 2000 NLDS for the Mariners. This was Guillenís only hit during the playoffs. It looked like the White Sox were on their way to a World Series in 1994, when the playoffs were cancelled due to a strike. The White Sox have never blamed these moments on a curse.

Lately, the Cubs and their fans have been finding anything to blame for their losses the past few years. The latest example is their feud with the announcers in which Dusty Baker, Kent Mercker, Todd Walker, and Moises Alou all criticized Steve Stone and Chip Caray for giving too much credit to the other teams.

So for all the fans out there that still believe in some form of a curse that is bringing your team down, please drop it and accept the fact that when your team loses it is nobodyís fault, but the team.

I wonder how many sneering rebuttals this paper will get you.

Dolanski
12-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Hmm, no one seemed to mention it, and I wasn't alive for it, but what about Disco Demolition Night? Or was that just so ridiculous that it's kinda funny? I was alive for it, but still in diapers so I can't call that the worst Sox moment I have witnessed. For me, I think the whole Terry Bevington Era is one I would like to forget...

mike squires
12-01-2004, 09:41 AM
The memory that haunts me to this day is the bottom of the 10th in that same game -- Greg Luzinski watching three pitches go by. He. Didn't. Even. Swing.

My wife and my mother and I had standing-room tickets for that game, and watched the whole thing from the scoreboard ramp on the LF side of the board. Britt Burns pitched the game of his life and the park fell into a deafening silence after Tito Landrum (Tito Landrum!) hit the home run to put the Orioles in the lead.

And The Bull didn't swing! That moment has served as a life metaphor for me ever since: Don't watch them go by--go down swinging!

- tebman
I don't recall Luzinski not swinging. They must have been throwing some wicked breaking balls or something cuase it seems like Luzinski would have been all over a fastball. Who was pitching to him Tippy Martinez? Rudy was also not able to pull the trigger on a pitch on the inside corner with Dybzinski on third which would have been the winning run.

ja1022
12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Hmm, no one seemed to mention it, and I wasn't alive for it, but what about Disco Demolition Night? Or was that just so ridiculous that it's kinda funny? I was alive for it, but still in diapers so I can't call that the worst Sox moment I have witnessed. For me, I think the whole Terry Bevington Era is one I would like to forget...

For me, Disco Demolition isn't even on the radar. The Sox were only approaching mediocrity in '79 and forfeiting a game didn't really have any impact on things. Plus I was Steve Dahl fan and hated disco, so it was actually kind of cool. Jimmy and Harry's reaction was priceless.

mjharrison72
12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
1997 White Flag Trade: Worst. Moment. Ever. :angry:
I agree... it took a couple years for the sting to wear off from that.

tebman
12-01-2004, 10:18 AM
I don't recall Luzinski not swinging. They must have been throwing some wicked breaking balls or something cuase it seems like Luzinski would have been all over a fastball. Who was pitching to him Tippy Martinez? Rudy was also not able to pull the trigger on a pitch on the inside corner with Dybzinski on third which would have been the winning run.I've forgotten who pitched that inning for the Orioles. In my mind it didn't matter because the at-bat was in so many ways a last chance. It could well be that they were nasty breaking balls, but it's always seemed to me that in that situation it shouldn't matter if they're slow, hanging curveballs or wicked exploding sliders. The Sox needed baserunners, and the batter's job is to get on base, by whatever means he can.

I'll be okay -- I'll get over it -- I'll go back to my medication...

- tebman

FireReinsdorf
12-01-2004, 10:54 AM
I agree.

Sox lose in 83, I still went to games.
JR almost moved the team. I still went to games.
JR tears down Comiskey Park. I still went to games.
But I haven't gone to a game since the strike.

The strike was the straw that broke the camel's back. I actually had tickets to see the Sox in Chicago the first weekend series after the strike in 94. This was the second time I had tickets to see the Sox invalidated by a strike. I had tickets to see the Sox play in KC when the strike occurred in 1981.

I'm not saying I won't go to another MLB game again. I'll be back in the stands as soon as JR is ousted or dies.

Dan H
12-01-2004, 11:03 AM
I have a relative who refers to that moment as
"Black Wednesday".:(: BTW,one divisional play lasted
one more year.Divisional play started in 1969,not 1968.

Just thought i'd correct a small oversight.:D: :D:
Right, don't know how I made that mistake. When it comes to bad, the years blend together. And many people refer to that as "Black Wednesday." As one other poster added, the Sox lost the first 10 games in 1968 and were never saw this side of .500 that year much less contend for a pennant. The franchise took a nosedive after that and in my opinion have never fully recovered. It sure would be great to win a World Series and wipe out some of these memories.

wood28
12-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Tito Landrum's homer off Burns in 1983 playoffs ranks #1 on my list, but I have to agree that there have been many. It was not easy to come up with a clear cut #1. I still remember Dybzinski's baserunning blunder, the Jerry Manuel era, the trading for Everett and Alomar two years in a row and tearing down the old ballpark.

TDog
12-01-2004, 12:43 PM
That had to be the single worst moment I've survived. Hoyt's win on Sunday would have been anticlimactic on the way to the Sox facing Ed Farmer in the World Series.

ode to veeck
12-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't recall Luzinski not swinging. They must have been throwing some wicked breaking balls or something cuase it seems like Luzinski would have been all over a fastball. Who was pitching to him Tippy Martinez? Rudy was also not able to pull the trigger on a pitch on the inside corner with Dybzinski on third which would have been the winning run.

I too remember this AB by the Bull (against Storm Davis) much more so than the Dybzinski running error, as an exclamation point for the Sox performance in this series.

Greg had been such a great clutch hitter in playoffs for the Phillies in his younger years and couldn't muster squat playing for the Sox in his home town (he was from Sullivan HS originally). He was 2/15 with 1 BB and 5 SOs in the '83 ALCS.

The baserunning error hurt of course, but the Sox as a team could only muster 1 run in the final three games and only 3 runs total for the series, after they lead the majors in both runs and wins in the regular season.

Of course Baltimore was very close in both categories (98 wins, 799 runs vs the Sox' 99 Ws and 800 Rs), and it showed and hurt as they cruised through not only the Sox, but the Phillies as well in the WS 4-1.

I agree with many of the listed disappointments. Some other notables not previously mentioned:

Moving off WGN the first time (huge)
JR and EE's post purchase treatment of Veeck and Harry
Loss of Harry to the Flubs
Initial reaction to Harry's replacements (Hawk & Drysdale)
Hiring of Ribbie and Rhubarb (gimme a break)
Carlos May's accident (a big one from my youth)
Demise of the greatest stadium in the history of baseball
New stadium design vs the opportunity
Removal of the shower at the Cell

wilburaga
12-01-2004, 01:24 PM
A couple of other bleak moments were Ozzie's 1992 season ending outfield collision with Tim Raines and Robin Ventura's grisly 1997 spring training broken leg incident, complete with the lady swooning and Ozzie barfing.

W

Chez
12-01-2004, 01:26 PM
The irony of this thread is that not one person listed the trade of Sammy Sosa for George Bell. Not that I think it was one of the 500 worst moments in Sox history (or even a bad trade at the time), but if you polled Cub fans (at least prior to the last game of last season) on "the greatest moments in Cubs History," this trade would rank up at the top of their list.

Anyway, the strike in '94 and the aftermath was the most disappointing moment. I thought at the time that with a young rotation of McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere we were entering the Golden Era of White Sox Baseball. Instead, a couple of years later we had Terry Bevington.

ja1022
12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
I thought at the time that with a young rotation of McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere we were entering the Golden Era of White Sox Baseball. Instead, a couple of years later we had Terry Bevington.
That just about sums it up. Terry Bevington???? ***??Yikes!!!

BainesHOF
12-01-2004, 02:09 PM
It's amazing how many of these moments mentioned have been under Reinsdorf's reign. For that reason, the worst moment for me is the day Reinsdorf bought the team. Twenty-four seasons later, the Sox have yet to win ONE home playoff game during his ownership. Even though the team threw the 1919 World Series, at least we got there and it was played. That moment is trumped, in my opinion, by 1994 when Reinsdorf played a leading role in cancelling the World Series, even though he may have had the best team.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-01-2004, 02:10 PM
The irony of this thread is that not one person listed the trade of Sammy Sosa for George Bell. Not that I think it was one of the 500 worst moments in Sox history (or even a bad trade at the time), but if you polled Cub fans (at least prior to the last game of last season) on "the greatest moments in Cubs History," this trade would rank up at the top of their list.
Steroids were not being used in baseball (or at least were not widespread as they were in football). Losing Sammy without steriods is not something a Sox fan would quote as "Worst Sox Moment Ever".

tebman
12-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Steroids were not being used in baseball (or at least were not widespread as they were in football). Losing Sammy without steriods is not something a Sox fan would quote as "Worst Sox Moment Ever".Hear, hear! I've had this conversation with friends of mine who are genuine Cub fans (not the yuppie neo-fan type), and they understand fully when I say that the Sox haven't missed Sosa. I know all about the HR numbers, but that's his whole act -- he's an average outfielder, he has modest baseball instincts (hitting the cutoff man, advancing the runner, etc.), and mostly he's a showboat who is a distracting sideshow.

Those same Cub fans are happy to see him go, just like I was when he left the Sox. In a larger way, it's really a shame. If he really used the talent he had (speed, great arm, extra-base hitting ability) toward the purpose of winning games instead of trying to make a highlight reel, I think he would have ended up with even better numbers.

But hey, if I'm so smart, why aren't I his agent? :tongue:

- tebman

mike squires
12-01-2004, 02:46 PM
IT's not that we didn't hit the ball that series in 83 we just squandered away so many chances. That game 4 if you look back on retrosheet.com we had runnders on 2nd and 3rd so many times it's pathetic. Cruz had two stolen bases as well. We just simply couldn't score any runs. We had more hits than the Orioles in that game 4.

IF anybody has those playoff games on TV especially the ones at Old Comiskey please let me know. I would be very interested. I only have highlights from the 83 reunion tape...

Lip Man 1
12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Mike:

I have game #1 if you are interested on video tape as well as audio tape.

Lip