PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson in the Bullpen?

mjharrison72
11-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Since the Giants appear to be signing Armando benitez, and Dustin Hermanson is a free agent, what would people think about the Sox picking him up? He would be a definite middle relief upgrade, has a decent BAA over the last couple seasons, and may not cost too much. Also has some closing experience, which is nice. Anybody know what he would be asking, or what he got paid last season?

jabrch
11-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Since the Giants appear to be signing Armando benitez, and Dustin Hermanson is a free agent, what would people think about the Sox picking him up? He would be a definite middle relief upgrade, has a decent BAA over the last couple seasons, and may not cost too much. Also has some closing experience, which is nice. Anybody know what he would be asking, or what he got paid last season?
SF wanted to keep him to close, but he wanted too much - so they gave Benitez 3/21. I am not sure what Hermanson wants, but I imagine it is a lot. In any case, he doesn't have the greatest career stats as a starter before last year's second half, but he might make a good closer.

Mohoney
11-30-2004, 07:59 PM
I would definitely pick Hermanson up. He would be that automatic 8th inning guy we are currently lacking.

Politte
Marte
Hermanson
Shingo

That's a pretty good bullpen, if we beef up the rotation and these guys don't get overworked. Then, since we're solid at the back end, I would seriously consider just declaring open competition for the final two or three (I would go with 12 pitchers and keep Grilli as a long man/spot starter to save some of these guys from having to go 2+ innings like Politte and Marte were asked to do last year) spots from among the likes of Neal Cotts, Jon Adkins, Jeff Bajenaru, and hopefully Andy Sisco. I think that a Dustin Hermanson signing can allow us to take a flier on a Rule V guy like Sisco. If he outperforms Neal Cotts, then he wins a spot. If Bajenaru outperforms Jon Adkins, then he wins a spot, too.

As long as Cotts and Adkins aren't just handed jobs on a silver platter, and this organization sends a message that mediocrity will not be rewarded, I'm fine.

Jabroni
11-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Why are you guys excited about a guy who had a 4.53 ERA in the N.L. last season? :?:

whitesoxwilkes
11-30-2004, 08:55 PM
What about Rheal Cormier? I know he's like 100 years old, but still throws hard and seemed to do a decent job for the Phils in setup last year.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Why are you guys excited about a guy who had a 4.53 ERA in the N.L. last season? :?:
Dustin Hermanson had a 12.7 VORP in 2004 - and while I wouldnt pay him much, he did have a better season than the following White Sox (VORP takes into account AL / NL, ballpark and other effects to even out perfomances)

Cliff Politte 9.8 VORP
Jon Adkins 8.3 VORP
Mike Jackson 5.6 VORP
Scott Schoeneweis 4.0 VORP
Jose "The Six Million Dollar Man" Contreras 3.7 VORP (as a Sox, an improvement from his 0.2 VORP on NYY)
Billy Koch 1.3 VORP
Neal Cotts 0.6 VORP
Felix Diaz -3.8 VORP

FightingBillini
11-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Dustin Hermanson had a 12.7 VORP in 2004 - and while I wouldnt pay him much, he did have a better season than the following White Sox (VORP takes into account AL / NL, ballpark and other effects to even out perfomances)

Cliff Politte 9.8 VORP
Jon Adkins 8.3 VORP
Mike Jackson 5.6 VORP
Scott Schoeneweis 4.0 VORP
Jose "The Six Million Dollar Man" Contreras 3.7 VORP (as a Sox, an improvement from his 0.2 VORP on NYY)
Billy Koch 1.3 VORP
Neal Cotts 0.6 VORP
Felix Diaz -3.8 VORP
I dont understand what VORP is, but it is comeplete BS if it ranks Mike Jackson ahead of anyone, let alone Contreras. Maybe it doesnt take into account inherited runners scored.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-30-2004, 11:05 PM
I dont understand what VORP is, but it is comeplete BS if it ranks Mike Jackson ahead of anyone, let alone Contreras. Maybe it doesnt take into account inherited runners scored.
VORP is best defined here: http://www.stathead.com/bbeng/woolner/vorpdescnew.htm

I don't see why you think Contreras did better in 2004 (on the Sox - he was even WORSE on the Yankees) than Mike Jackson.

Contreras 74.7 IP, 13.9 Baserunners / 9 Inn, 5.30 ERA

Jackson 46.7 IP, 13.5 Baserunners / 9 Inn, 5.01 ERA

Both sucked but the fact that Contreras sucked a little more places him below Jackson.

I don't know why you think Contreras was even good in 2004. And the fact that he gets $6 mil per year from the Sox makes it that much worse (compared to Jackson's contract).

MUsoxfan
12-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Isn't he a headcase? I believe he's starting next season on suspension

SomebodyToldMe
12-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that there are too many stats that are considered "important" in baseball these days?