PDA

View Full Version : Andy MacPhail wants to hold Concerts at the Urinal.

santo=dorf
11-30-2004, 02:26 PM
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=14744

http://ca.yimg.com/i/ca/reuters/20030927/i/4161396770.jpg

"Wrigley Field is a shrine that is the greatest stadium in the history of baseball. There are no ads, it didn't sell out to a coporate company, and only baseball games are held there. It's baseball at its purist!"

SomebodyToldMe
11-30-2004, 02:45 PM
He's just trying to get competitive after U2 played at the Cell!

Foulke You
11-30-2004, 03:16 PM
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=14744

"Wrigley Field is a shrine that is the greatest stadium in the history of baseball. There are no ads, it didn't sell out to a coporate company, and only baseball games are held there. It's baseball at its purist!"
I think the subtitle beneath that picture should read "Cubs fans react to Corey Patterson routine fly ball to right field" since that is what happens at that park every time a ball is hit in the air by a Cubs player.:cool:

SaltyPretzel
11-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Jimmy Buffett + Wrigley Field = Hell on Earth

:chunks

StockdaleForVeep
11-30-2004, 04:12 PM
maybe we can hire a band that hates the scrubs to come there and totally wreck it more than it already is.

"Iron maiden screeching guitar responsible for collapse of wrigley field"

Chrisaway
11-30-2004, 04:53 PM
maybe we can hire a band that hates the scrubs to come there and totally wreck it more than it already is.

"Iron maiden screeching guitar responsible for collapse of wrigley field"Just when I thought Maiden couldn't get cooler...

Foulke You
11-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Seriously, what is MacFail smoking if he thinks THAT neighborhood will approve rock concerts? They freak out at the prospect of 3 extra night games a season. Imagine what the folks living in the neighborhood will say when they find out a band like Kiss is coming to play their 349th farewell tour there! They will flip out. There is no way the city will allow it to happen, there will be too much flak from the neighborhood.

SaltyPretzel
11-30-2004, 05:14 PM
I heard The Dave Matthews Band wants to play there because it could dump its tour bus waste right there on the concourse.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-30-2004, 05:19 PM
I heard The Dave Matthews Band wants to play there because it could dump its tour bus waste right there on the concourse. Yes, but how would anybody know?
:redneck

:lynch&mcfail
"You think our concourse smells bad now, wait till Dave Matthews gets done with it!"

ewokpelts
11-30-2004, 07:41 PM
He's just trying to get competitive after U2 played at the Cell!the stone and the boss splayed there...not u2
Gene

SomebodyToldMe
11-30-2004, 07:54 PM
the stone and the boss splayed there...not u2
Gene
Umm...I don't know if you're kidding or not, but I was because of the rumor that U2 was going to play there last week.

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-30-2004, 08:59 PM

i find it funny that the only peson wearing any scrubs stuff is that one guy in the front. All the other people are wearing shirts and jeans. Yeah..real Cubbie fans there

chisoxmike
11-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Umm...I don't know if you're kidding or not, but I was because of the rumor that U2 was going to play there last week.
That would be really cool if they play at the Cell during their '05 tour. Sign me up!

DumpJerry
11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
A weekend of concerts from the remaining Grateful Dead bandmembers will do wonders for the neighborhood.

I'd be worried if a hard rock band played there, the vibrations will literally bring down the house.

MUsoxfan
12-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Seriously, what is MacFail smoking if he thinks THAT neighborhood will approve rock concerts? They freak out at the prospect of 3 extra night games a season. Imagine what the folks living in the neighborhood will say when they find out a band like Kiss is coming to play their 349th farewell tour there! They will flip out. There is no way the city will allow it to happen, there will be too much flak from the neighborhood.

Indeed.

Then there would be the issue of people in surrounding buildings recieving free concerts. People would have to sit on the holy field. Concerts would have to be daytime for the most part because people would be trying to sleep (I hate that neighborhood, but people in the area would have a legit gripe because concerts are MUCH louder than baseball games). It will never happen.

ode to veeck
12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
ole Mac Fail can only dream to recreate the Disco Demolition, but instead of disco vinyl, fans can bring falling concrete from the grandstand

StockdaleForVeep
12-01-2004, 12:52 PM
ole Mac Fail can only dream to recreate the Disco Demolition, but instead of disco vinyl, fans can bring falling concrete from the grandstand
Would he be planing this during the season? Also isnt it a well known fact that concerts in stadiums\fields with natural grass is bad? I remember the big fiasco when either pearl jam or aerosmith or some other band played soldiers field and the bears had a game shortly after and the field was just atrocious and looked destroyed. He cant have concerts during winter weather, so how would this cub gem even happen?

Blueprint1
12-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Would he be planing this during the season? Also isnt it a well known fact that concerts in stadiums\fields with natural grass is bad? I remember the big fiasco when either pearl jam or aerosmith or some other band played soldiers field and the bears had a game shortly after and the field was just atrocious and looked destroyed. He cant have concerts during winter weather, so how would this cub gem even happen?
I believe Pink Floyd tore up soldier field in 1993-94

jdm2662
12-01-2004, 02:12 PM
I believe Pink Floyd tore up soldier field in 1993-94
If I remember correctly, Floyd played there over the summer before the World Cup. The field was fixed up and looked good for the World Cup and the preseason Bears game. The Stones played there in September, and it left it's mark on the field, literaly... Anyone remember the sand on the field to cover the holes? That was pathetic.
________
V engine (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_V_engine)

wdelaney72
12-01-2004, 02:21 PM
First we have Hangar's references to Megadeth, and now two posts giving love to Iron Maiden.

God, I love WSI.

Palehose13
12-01-2004, 02:53 PM
My dad saw the Beatles play at Old Comiskey.

That would have been heaven.

ma_deuce
12-01-2004, 03:33 PM
I think this is a very bad idea... all that foot stomping and jumping up and down may tear the fragile upper deck off its weak supports... we would lose the "Friendly Confines" for future generations...

:?:

...on second thought, BRING ON METALLICA!!!

http://www.basementtapes.com/jpegs/metallica.jpg

"I got something to say. I broke the Urinal today. Doesn't matter much to me, 'cause I'm a Sox fan..."

DSpivack
12-01-2004, 04:34 PM
I think this is a very bad idea... all that foot stomping and jumping up and down may tear the fragile upper deck off its weak supports... we would lose the "Friendly Confines" for future generations...

"I got something to say. I broke the Urinal today. Doesn't matter much to me, 'cause I'm a Sox fan..."
Did anyone here see the documentary on the making of St. Anger? Man was that hilarious, like a real Spinal Tap.

DannyCaterFan
12-01-2004, 04:51 PM
I am not sure why this is such a big deal that it should be in the Headlines of the Chicago Sun-times. When either old Comiskey or US Cellular have announced concerts in the past, you only knew about through advertising the promoters make for that concert.
This story also made all three 10:00 news reports last night.
I guess I forgot it's "All about Wrigley" with the press.

MUsoxfan
12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I am not sure why this is such a big deal that it should be in the Headlines of the Chicago Sun-times. When either old Comiskey or US Cellular have announced concerts in the past, you only knew about through advertising the promoters make for that concert.
This story also made all three 10:00 news reports last night.
I guess I forgot it's "All about Wrigley" with the press.

The ballparks on the southside have had a tradition of concerts/events/sideshows, especially during the Veeck era. I remember watching the Legion of Doom wrestle at Old Comiskey after a ballgame. Many concerts have gone through the southside ballparks, and some made the news. The Rolling Stones show there a couple years ago was heavily covered. I can't think of any events other than baseball and football to roll through the urinal. I can see that it's kind of a big deal with the newsmedia because of the idea of "tradition" that the lemmings hold to that place....and the fact that it effects many more people around the ballpark than does anything at Comiskey.

soxwon
12-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Would any sox fan go see Buffett at the URINAL?

soltrain21
12-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Would any sox fan go see Buffett at the URINAL?

That is the worst combination in the history of civilization.

hosieryofthegods
12-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Oh I don't know, I think Dave Matthews and the urinal would be a match made in hell. You thought there was a lot of khaki there before, wow. The only other difference would be more dope than "the farns" has in his locker.:cool:

Whitesox029
12-02-2004, 12:25 AM
:whocares

StockdaleForVeep
12-02-2004, 04:21 AM

Stick lars and the rest of those hasbeens into the urinal and i will personally lead the legion of sox fans\metal fans in the systematic eradication of that region. Hell, Im sure Black Jack will even join us for the afterparty

StockdaleForVeep
12-02-2004, 04:24 AM
If I remember correctly, Floyd played there over the summer before the World Cup. The field was fixed up and looked good for the World Cup and the preseason Bears game. The Stones played there in September, and it left it's mark on the field, literaly... Anyone remember the sand on the field to cover the holes? That was pathetic.Ah the stones yes

1-2 seasons ago, mebe in philly something happened the day before at a NFL field and the turf was ungodly, they literally threw sod and grass anywhere to "patch" it up, anyone remember where this was?

jordan23ventura
12-02-2004, 05:48 AM

"Iron maiden screeching guitar responsible for collapse of wrigley field"Screw the concerts.

How about instead of the 7th inning stretch they just blare some ringtones (http://toolbar.desktoptraffic.net/cgi-bin//ezlclk.fcgi?id=5) from Sammy's cell over the loudspeaker.

Nothing could say 'baseball' more than listening to a repetitive Salsa cellular jingle in midi format. Umm, just thinking of it makes me want a beer and a hotdog.

StockdaleForVeep
12-03-2004, 02:30 AM
I just remembered, wasnt it a monday night football game in philly that was cancelled due to the field being atrocious after a concert happened and it rained?

SOXSINCE'70
12-03-2004, 08:17 AM
I say the Sox should get Korn to play at Comiskey.

Their first song should be a new composition written
on the spur of the moment.Dedicate it to all the
sCrUBbie people.

"You dumbass,stupid pathetic wastes of life.Losing sucks!!
When will you learn?!?!":angry: :angry:

blesto-v
12-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Why aren't the Sox using the ball park for more concerts?.......the Cubs are going to take the net revenue and plow it back into players' salaries.....

Do any of us really believe that Reinsdorf wouldn't just pocket the concert money and say "ef" the team?......:angry:

southsider17
12-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Why aren't the Sox using the ball park for more concerts?.......the Cubs are going to take the net revenue and plow it back into players' salaries.....

Do any of us really believe that Reinsdorf wouldn't just pocket the concert money and say "ef" the team?......:angry:
Good point newbie. But since Reinsdorf doesn't own the stadium I'm not sure he can claim any non-White Sox income.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

JKryl
12-05-2004, 12:11 AM
All right, if someone has to play the Ivy covered burial ground, it should be an appropriate act. I nominate the GRATEFUL DEAD. What do you guys think?