PDA

View Full Version : A friend of a friend of a friend... (RE: AJ Pryz)

jabrch
11-30-2004, 02:20 PM
is friends with AJ P. SF wants to get rid of him - now. He can be had fairly cheaply. Now last year he had a terrible season. But he was good for a while before that with the Twins.

Any interest here?

SEALgep
11-30-2004, 02:28 PM
I presume many would not, but I'd like to have him. Of course under the scenerio you presented, cheap.

santo=dorf
11-30-2004, 02:29 PM
The Giants are set to sign Armando Benitez to a three-year, $21 million contract.
Maybe $21 million is a little excessive, but this is a better signing than Troy Percival or the other potential closers would have been. Since the Giants have to stay around $80 million, Benitez's addition could make it more likely that A.J. Pierzynski will be traded From rotoworld.

I don't want to see A.J. here. Frank and Konerko would probably kill him.

soltrain21
11-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Remember what happen when Starks played for the Bulls?

I would boo him everytime he came to the plate.

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
is friends with AJ P. SF wants to get rid of him - now. He can be had fairly cheaply. Now last year he had a terrible season. But he was good for a while before that with the Twins.

Any interest here?Does the phrase "clubhouse chemistry" mean anything? In this case, the chemistry might be nitroglycerin.

munchman33
11-30-2004, 02:43 PM
I don't care if the guys a dick. He can hit, he's clutch, and he's left handed. And that means Ben Davis won't be starting, either.

BRDSR
11-30-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't care if the guys a dick. He can hit, he's clutch, and he's left handed. And that means Ben Davis won't be starting, either.
But honestly, he's such a dick. I don't know about this move but it is appealing in many respects. Besides the role of 5th starter I see the catcher as our biggest weakness going into the 2005 season. I also see it as the most difficult to fill. There aren't a lot of good, veteran, but not terribly expensive catchers on the market. Assuming he fit in in the clubhouse and had a Twinsesque season and not a Giantsesqe season, I would like this move. But there are a lot of ifs that make it a tough decision.

Foulke You
11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
AJ on the Sox would be a clubhouse disaster methinks. The guy is a good player but a big jagoff. I think there is too much history (i.e. hatred) from our guys towards him to work as a cohesive unit with our team. I'd take my chances with Davis/Burke and spend the money on pitching and another infielder to replace Jose.

11-30-2004, 03:36 PM
I would roll the dice with Burke and Davis, I can't cheer for him.

Brian26
11-30-2004, 03:38 PM
AJ's been known to have terrible work ethic when it comes to preparing for a game w/ the pitchers. He rather play cards than go over hitters with the starting pitcher. Stay away.

munchman33
11-30-2004, 03:42 PM
AJ's been known to have terrible work ethic when it comes to preparing for a game w/ the pitchers. He rather play cards than go over hitters with the starting pitcher. Stay away.
Most catchers don't do that anymore anyway.

DickAllen72
11-30-2004, 04:06 PM
He'd be the best catcher on the team. I say grab him if we can. I heard most of the stuff about him being a "jerk" is all BS anyway.

IlliniSox
11-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Does the phrase "clubhouse chemistry" mean anything? In this case, the chemistry might be nitroglycerin.
I agree wholeheartedly. How are we supposed to repeat as division champs without that dynamic clubhouse repoire?

jabrch
11-30-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm torn...I understand both sides. I could live with Burke/Davis if I had to. But AJ is such a good hitter. But he's so disliked...

I guess, in the end, I'd take him if we could have him cheap.

FightingBillini
11-30-2004, 04:27 PM
I guess I would take him, but he needs to be initiated first. I want the entire team to line up. Then Queerzinski can go down the line, and each player gets to punch him in the face twice. I think that should end all animosities.

Besides, guys that are pricks like him, guys that never shut up, you hate them when you are facing them, but love them when they are getting into the other team's head.

Flight #24
11-30-2004, 04:36 PM
I guess I would take him, but he needs to be initiated first. I want the entire team to line up. Then Queerzinski can go down the line, and each player gets to punch him in the face twice. I think that should end all animosities.

Besides, guys that are pricks like him, guys that never shut up, you hate them when you are facing them, but love them when they are getting into the other team's head.
I remember some comments about SF pitchers not liking him and questioning his dedication to any team but the Twins, which would be a huge concern to me if he was on the Sox. Maybe it's overblown, maybe he's overcome it, but if and only if I'm sure he's committed & dedicated would I welcome him.

IIRC, wasn't there a quote like "He watches the Twins, but not any oppposing hitters"?

FightingBillini
11-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I remember some comments about SF pitchers not liking him and questioning his dedication to any team but the Twins, which would be a huge concern to me if he was on the Sox. Maybe it's overblown, maybe he's overcome it, but if and only if I'm sure he's committed & dedicated would I welcome him.

IIRC, wasn't there a quote like "He watches the Twins, but not any oppposing hitters"?
Well, I figure the thorough beating will break him of the Twins habit. If not, there's more where that came from.

Flight #24
11-30-2004, 04:58 PM
Well, I figure the thorough beating will break him of the Twins habit. If not, there's more where that came from.
I like your thinking!

ma-gaga
11-30-2004, 10:53 PM

IIRC, wasn't there a quote like "He watches the Twins, but not any oppposing hitters"?Yeah, that was kind of a bull**** statement by some ***** ass anonymous pitcher. AJ starts out slow. He's always hit 0.200 halfway thru May, then he just starts blooping in hits the rest of the year.

His end year stats aren't that bad. 0.272/0.319/0.410. He doesn't walk much, and he's never had a lot of power, but he's a damn good Catcher, and SF would be idiotic to dump him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pierza.01.shtml

ma-gaga
11-30-2004, 10:56 PM
And he made $3.5MM last year. He's likely to get a raise this year. Maybe up to $4.5 to $5.0 MM.

That's probably a little too rich for the W.Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston tries to trade for him if they can't resign Veritek.

nitetrain8601
11-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Well I think AJ takes the mentality Starks did. He was a fiery guy and supported his team no matter what it meant for what he had to do. If he did that for the Sox I don't think anyone would complain. He's a really good hitter and isn't that expensive at all. Send them crazy carl and a prospect.

mealfred13
12-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Screw that. I don't want a guy on the team who intentionally sticks out his elbow, with a giant pad on it, to draw HBPs. If you're gonna take one for the team, at least take it like a man, and don't stick out an elbow to do it.... I hate that guy.

nitetrain8601
12-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Screw that. I don't want a guy on the team who intentionally sticks out his elbow, with a giant pad on it, to draw HBPs. If you're gonna take one for the team, at least take it like a man, and don't stick out an elbow to do it.... I hate that guy.
If it helps the team win, I'm all for it. I remember a Cubs game when the bases were loaded and someone didn't stick out there arm, when they could have and they lost the game by one run. Stick out the arm to help your team. You play to win, don't matter how.

Whitesox029
12-01-2004, 12:37 AM

Any interest here?This would be a bad move. I have heard that he was a major clubhouse cancer in both MN and SF, and that he plays cards before games rather than looking at videos of opposing hitters with his starter. This just isn't a good idea.

SoxxoS
12-01-2004, 12:46 AM
All I know is the clubhouse chemistry (which was allegedly good) the past 4 years isn't working...

And I think Minnesota won 3 division title with Pierzinskjfodljski behind the plate.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Chemisty = overrated.

bc2k
12-01-2004, 12:49 AM

Besides, guys that are pricks like him, guys that never shut up, you hate them when you are facing them, but love them when they are getting into the other team's head. FightingBillini = Best New Poster.

Back to "Queerzinski," I wouldn't worry about clubhouse chemistry with Thomas. They won't even see each other after July when Thomas goes back on the DL.

Foulke You
12-01-2004, 02:36 AM
LOL:)

California Sox
12-01-2004, 09:56 AM
I think AJ is the most overrated catcher in baseball. He can't throw, pitchers don't like him and away from the Metrojoke he's a .270 hitter, no walks, no power and everyone who plays with him hates him. Why would we give up anything for that?

Deadguy
12-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Yeah, that was kind of a bull**** statement by some ***** ass anonymous pitcher. AJ starts out slow. He's always hit 0.200 halfway thru May, then he just starts blooping in hits the rest of the year.

His end year stats aren't that bad. 0.272/0.319/0.410. He doesn't walk much, and he's never had a lot of power, but he's a damn good Catcher, and SF would be idiotic to dump him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pierza.01.shtml
27 GIDPs last year? Was he batting behind Barroids or something? That is positively Konerko-esque.

wdelaney72
12-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Carl Everett was supposed to be some kind of clubhouse cancer and he fit in somewhat well with the Sox (the first time around).

I don't know, it's a tough call. We clearly need an upgrade at catcher. I don't mind Burke as a backup, but to go into the season counting on Ben Davis is very concerning.

ma-gaga
12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
27 GIDPs last year? Was he batting behind Barroids or something? That is positively Konerko-esque.Yes. Actually I think he was batting after B.Bonds once AJ began hitting. The "anonymous pitcher" crap really bugs me. The SF reporters decided to make up a story when their team struggled out of the gate. So they targeted the "new guy" with a bad reputation, when they really should have gone after the bullpen.

I understand that there is a lot of anti-AJ sentiment here, but he's only going to be paid $5MM next year, he has a lot of production for a catcher at that cost. The better catchers; Piazza, Kendall, Posada, Rodriguez, Lopez; all cost twice as much as AJ would. He's one of the few players that I think would legitimately earn his $5MM.

There are a few young catchers that may be better and cheaper than AJ, (namely a healthy Joe Mauer, and Vic Martinez) but they are few and far inbetween. Catchers are a defensive position. The average catcher is the worst hitting player on the team.

I expect that the W.Sox will get an average line of 0.250/0.300/0.350 from Burke/Davis for $2.5MM this year. AJ would be better. I don't know if he's worth the cost upgrade though.

:)

soltrain21
12-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Carl Everett was supposed to be some kind of clubhouse cancer and he fit in somewhat well with the Sox (the first time around).

That is different, though. Carl never had any bad blood between any of the Sox players or the Sox in general. AJ is a prick who talked a lot of trash.

Which is weird because the Twins were talking to Jose Valentin. I can assume Twin fans hate him.

Flight #24
12-01-2004, 03:26 PM

I don't know, it's a tough call. We clearly need an upgrade at catcher. I don't mind Burke as a backup, but to go into the season counting on Ben Davis is very concerning.
The only place Carl had problems was Boston (with Jimy Williams). in Texas, he was a model teammate, and IIRC was actually asked by the manager to help mentor younger players.

broker3d
12-01-2004, 11:54 PM
I think A.J. Pierzynski would be a great addition for this team as our catcher. He's a left handed hitting catcher who is known to handle the staff well and brings some grit and toughness to the game that this team could really use. There have been alot of rumors about him being traded.

Chicago83
12-02-2004, 04:26 AM
He has little power and can't draw walks, so I see no reason for him to be on the southside. Unless he's cheap and can call a good game I don't see how he is that much of an upgrade over Burke and Davis.

jordan23ventura
12-02-2004, 05:15 AM
I'd take a chance on him. Sure, we all hate him, but if he showed up to play he is a big improvement over what we have.

Otherwise, I doubt KW would hold on to him very long if he was playing card games instead of watching videos. I mean, we could always trade him for Roberto Alomar.

guillen4life13
12-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Remember what happen when Starks played for the Bulls?

I would boo him everytime he came to the plate.
Let me pose a slightly different scenario.

Dennis Rodman did some pretty nasty things while he was a member of the Pistons. Caused Pippen quite an injury, IIRC, right? Then, a few years later, he came to Chicago, and he was a very important part of the last three championships.

Let me go a bit further: you know how A.J. got into the Sox' heads? Well think about how great it would be if we could have someone like that getting into our opponents' heads. Sure, he's a dick, but I tend to think it's really awesome when a member of a team I support gets into the other team's head and frustrates them.