PDA

View Full Version : There goes the market for Matt Morris

Jjav829
11-30-2004, 04:10 AM
I've been wondering why there hasn't been much talk about Matt Morris. He was brutal last year, but the guy had put together 3 solid seasons before then. I figured he'd be a guy who would draw some interest as a cheap sleeper for small market teams in need of pitching, even with questions about his health. Well, maybe teams knew more about this (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/9ADC1A5CEF83B1E286256F5C001A1A9B?OpenDocument&Headline=Morris+will+have+surgery+to+clean+up+his+ shoulder) before it came out. I guess we can cross his name off the list of pitchers the Sox should pursue. Now I need an answer for my next question. Where is the market for Odalis Perez? It doesn't appear to be very large. Usually good, 27-year-old left-handers tend to draw more interest than he seems to be drawing.

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
I've been wondering why there hasn't been much talk about Matt Morris. He was brutal last year, but the guy had put together 3 solid seasons before then. I figured he'd be a guy who would draw some interest as a cheap sleeper for small market teams in need of pitching, even with questions about his health. Well, maybe teams knew more about this (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/9ADC1A5CEF83B1E286256F5C001A1A9B?OpenDocument&Headline=Morris+will+have+surgery+to+clean+up+his+ shoulder) before it came out. I guess we can cross his name off the list of pitchers the Sox should pursue. Now I need an answer for my next question. Where is the market for Odalis Perez? It doesn't appear to be very large. Usually good, 27-year-old left-handers tend to draw more interest than he seems to be drawing.I think they're all afraid of getting Chan Ho-ed. Park screwed up the market for any pitcher wearing a Dodger uniform. No one's confident they know how to adjust their pitching to a less pitcher-friendly park.

34 Inch Stick
11-30-2004, 11:27 AM
It sounds like you could sign Morris to a contract similar to the one Lieber signed witht the Yankees.

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2004, 11:45 AM
It sounds like you could sign Morris to a contract similar to the one Lieber signed witht the Yankees.Except this doesn't sound as bad. It sounds like he'll be ready to play next year, and he's looking for a 1-yr deal to establish himself.

Anyone else struck by the contrast with Maggs' situation and how they're handling it?

daveeym
11-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Having had a cleanup of the labrum it's not as minor of a thing to come back as it sounds. More than likely they'll be making other adjustments in there once they go in. Then it's mainly just a time thing but it's longer to recover, it's not like a knee cleanup or other simple scopes.

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Having had a cleanup of the labrum it's not as minor of a thing to come back as it sounds. More than likely they'll be making other adjustments in there once they go in. Then it's mainly just a time thing but it's longer to recover, it's not like a knee cleanup or other simple scopes.But it's not Tommy John surgery, either, which is what Lieber had. Morris will be pitching next year.

gosox41
11-30-2004, 01:09 PM
I've been wondering why there hasn't been much talk about Matt Morris. He was brutal last year, but the guy had put together 3 solid seasons before then. I figured he'd be a guy who would draw some interest as a cheap sleeper for small market teams in need of pitching, even with questions about his health. Well, maybe teams knew more about this (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/9ADC1A5CEF83B1E286256F5C001A1A9B?OpenDocument&Headline=Morris+will+have+surgery+to+clean+up+his+ shoulder) before it came out. I guess we can cross his name off the list of pitchers the Sox should pursue. Now I need an answer for my next question. Where is the market for Odalis Perez? It doesn't appear to be very large. Usually good, 27-year-old left-handers tend to draw more interest than he seems to be drawing.
Again, this is why don't like signing guys who have a sudden drop in velocity. Usually means something is wrong.

Bob

SoxxoS
11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Morris is the kind of guy the Sox need to take chances with. They won't pay for healthy talent, so why not try to sign the unhealthy talent that can GET healthy at some point in the season.

This is why I was all for signing Garcia in the offseason of last year, when his value was way down.

This team needs to take risks. Period. Lieber would have been a fine option for our 5th starter last year. A great option. But no. KW said "well just go with Danny Wright and no backup plan."

Sound like the Bears QB situation.

Chrisaway
11-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Morris is the kind of guy the Sox need to take chances with. They won't pay for healthy talent, so why not try to sign the unhealthy talent that can GET healthy at some point in the season.

This is why I was all for signing Garcia in the offseason of last year, when his value was way down.

This team needs to take risks. Period. Lieber would have been a fine option for our 5th starter last year. A great option. But no. KW said "well just go with Danny Wright and no backup plan."

Sound like the Bears QB situation.
Hey Jeff George has a helluva arm. Go get him KW!!!!

Foulke You
11-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Where is the market for Odalis Perez? It doesn't appear to be very large. Usually good, 27-year-old left-handers tend to draw more interest than he seems to be drawing.I've just never been a big fan of Odalis Perez. He just looks like the type of pitcher who would get clobbered in the AL, especially away from Dodgers Stadium. I wouldn't gamble on him, especially since our park was playing really small last year.

JB98
12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
I've just never been a big fan of Odalis Perez. He just looks like the type of pitcher who would get clobbered in the AL, especially away from Dodgers Stadium. I wouldn't gamble on him, especially since our park was playing really small last year.
Not to mention, Perez got cracked around pretty good in the playoffs, not once but twice. Getting clobbered on national TV isn't the best way to increase one's market value.

eriqjaffe
12-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Just as an FYI, the Cards re-signed Morris to a 1-year deal:

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stl/news/stl_news.jsp?ymd=20041208&content_id=919544&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp