PDA

View Full Version : Demanding a trade

santo=dorf
11-29-2004, 09:35 PM
I have heard that Javier Vazquez can demand a trade after the 2005 season because he has more than 2 years left on his deal. I also recall reading somewhere that Mark Redman can demand a trade after this season too.

What exactly happens if a player demands a trade? Do they automatically become a FA if a trade is not worked out? :?:

IMO, I would rather give up more to get one year of Randy Johnson, than just get one year of Javier Vazquez while RJ pitches for the Yankees.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 09:42 PM
I have heard that Javier Vazquez can demand a trade after the 2005 season because he has more than 2 years left on his deal. I also recall reading somewhere that Mark Redman can demand a trade after this season too.

What exactly happens if a player demands a trade? Do they automatically become a FA if a trade is not worked out? :?:

IMO, I would rather give up more to get one year of Randy Johnson, than just get one year of Javier Vazquez while RJ pitches for the Yankees.You're correct.

Any Player who has 5 or more years of Major League service at the time of the assignment of his contract and whose contract covers the next succeeding season, may elect, at the conclusion of the season following the assignment, to require that his contract be assigned to another Club.
In plain English, since his contract extends beyond the 2005 season, he can demand a trade after the 2005 season and the new club has until the following March 15 to trade him or he becomes a FA.

santo=dorf
11-29-2004, 09:56 PM
You're correct.

In plain English, since his contract extends beyond the 2005 season, he can demand a trade after the 2005 season and the new club has until the following March 15 to trade him or he becomes a FA.
What a ****ing joke. :angry:

What is the purpose of this rule? If a player signs a contract, he should be obliged to play under the team that holds his contract.

Flight #24
11-29-2004, 10:18 PM

IMO, I would rather give up more to get one year of Randy Johnson, than just get one year of Javier Vazquez while RJ pitches for the Yankees.
I'd guess Vazquez would be OK with staying with the Sox. Latin Clubhouse, Latin manager, big city but not the incessant pressure and media barrage that you get in NY, and a team that's generally contending for the playoffs. Combine that with a good salary, likely more than he'd get on the open market (unless he goes out and has a big year), and he'll be quite happy to stay.

ma-gaga
11-30-2004, 08:19 AM
In plain English, since his contract extends beyond the 2005 season, he can demand a trade after the 2005 season and the new club has until the following March 15 to trade him or he becomes a FA.The player can also rescind his demand at any time and go back to the team to play out his contract.

This happened to the Twins a couple of years ago. They traded for Rick Reed who demanded a trade after the 2001 season. As February 2002 rolled around, it became apparent that nobody was going to trade for him, and that if he became a FA there was no way he would make the $15MM left on his deal, so he rescinded his demand.

He had one good year (2002), and one bad year (2003). Overall, a nice little career for a scab: http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/reedri01.shtml

:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
11-30-2004, 09:46 AM
I'd guess Vazquez would be OK with staying with the Sox. Latin Clubhouse, Latin manager, big city but not the incessant pressure and media barrage that you get in NY, and a team that's generally contending for the playoffs. Combine that with a good salary, likely more than he'd get on the open market (unless he goes out and has a big year), and he'll be quite happy to stay.With the money he's due, he'd just about have to win the Cy Young and World Series to expect to get more money on the open market.

What do you figure the chances are we'd get the first-half Javier Vazquez rather than the second-half Javier Vazquez? I haven't heard much about what people think his problem was.