PDA

View Full Version : Number Three Starter

Slow Mike
11-29-2004, 10:22 PM
With it looking increasingly like the White Sox will not be getting RJ, who does everyone think the Sox will target as their number three starter, assuming that Pedro and Pavano are out of the running also. Options include Russ Ortiz, Matt Clement, Matt Morris, Brad Radke, and maybe a few others. I think the best bet is Clement, and Radke second. They both have the stuff to succeed at a hitter friendly park. What does everyone else think? It's tough to tell now the Kenny Williams has gone under the radar. Anyone have any insider information?

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 10:30 PM
With it looking increasingly like the White Sox will not be getting RJ, who does everyone think the Sox will target as their number three starter, assuming that Pedro and Pavano are out of the running also. Options include Russ Ortiz, Matt Clement, Matt Morris, Brad Radke, and maybe a few others. I think the best bet is Clement, and Radke second. They both have the stuff to succeed at a hitter friendly park. What does everyone else think? It's tough to tell now the Kenny Williams has gone under the radar. Anyone have any insider information?If the Sox can't swing the deal for RJ, they will probably try to get in as a third team, probably winding up with Vazquez. I like Ortiz, although it's a close call with Clement, who would be cheaper. But if I was betting, I'd bet on Clement over Ortiz.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-30-2004, 12:43 AM
Garland is / will be the Sox #3 starter.

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Contreras
Chacon - The Sox are looking to sign him. He was a starter until last year. He pretty much blew as a closer (Over 7 ERA) and maybe they will try to convert him back. Otherwise Grilli? Wilson Alverez?

The Sox will save their money for 40 somethings (except the good one - RJ)(Robbie Alomar, possibly Rickey Henderson (and then Bobby Bonilla will be hired as bench coach and card player).

FightingBillini
11-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Garland is / will be the Sox #3 starter.

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Contreras
Chacon - The Sox are looking to sign him. He was a starter until last year. He pretty much blew as a closer (Over 7 ERA) and maybe they will try to convert him back. Otherwise Grilli? Wilson Alverez?

The Sox will save their money for 40 somethings (except the good one - RJ)(Robbie Alomar, possibly Rickey Henderson (and then Bobby Bonilla will be hired as bench coach and card player).
I understand you have a deep-rooted hatred for Jose Contreras, but don't let that cloud your views. He hasn't been great the last two years, but he hasn't been horrible. He has shown flashes of what he has. He didn't go from dominant to horrible overnight, and there is a reason that the Yankees, Red Sox, and White Sox went hard after him. He can be a lights out pitcher at the MLB level. Remember him mowing down the Orioles in an exhibition game in the late 90's? The Sox coaches found he was tipping his pitches, so hopefully they can improve him. I am fully confident that he will win at least 16 games in 2005.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-30-2004, 01:06 AM
I understand you have a deep-rooted hatred for Jose Contreras, but don't let that cloud your views. He hasn't been great the last two years, but he hasn't been horrible. He has shown flashes of what he has. He didn't go from dominant to horrible overnight, and there is a reason that the Yankees, Red Sox, and White Sox went hard after him. He can be a lights out pitcher at the MLB level. Remember him mowing down the Orioles in an exhibition game in the late 90's? The Sox coaches found he was tipping his pitches, so hopefully they can improve him. I am fully confident that he will win at least 16 games in 2005.
I have no "hatred" for Jose Contreras - I only dislike the fact that the Sox have him and will pay him $17 million for 2005 / 2006 when we would ahve been off the hook once Loaiza's contract expired (in 2004).

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=425747

He hasn't been great the past two years? He has only been in the majors for two years. He is "listed" as 33 next year (probably 35 or older). The Sox do not have the $ to waste on players like Contreras and Jurassic Carl. I rather have the $8 - $9 million to spend on a very good #2 starter than waste it on a middle aged never done crap Steinbrenner Cuban fantasy / mistake.

mjmcend
11-30-2004, 01:48 AM
I have no "hatred" for Jose Contreras - I only dislike the fact that the Sox have him and will pay him $17 million for 2005 / 2006 when we would ahve been off the hook once Loaiza's contract expired (in 2004).

We only have to pay him $6 million a year for the next two years since the Yanks are paying $3 mil a year on his contract. To me anyways, $6 million for a back end of the rotation starter who has at least the possibility to be dominant at times is well worth it.