PDA

View Full Version : Work for the White Sox?

OzzieBall2004
11-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Did anyone else see this? I dont know if there's a catch, but it seems pretty legit....If anyone gives it a try, let me know what happens.

http://jobsearch.mlb.careers.monster.com/?WT.mc_n=01;UVA;MLB;BYX;MLB00;C9;A;MLB

Its tucked away on the right side of the Website, and most browsers you have to scroll over to even see it. Seems pretty odd, I wonder what the deal is.

santo=dorf
11-29-2004, 09:39 PM
The stats stringer looks like a decent job.

A.T. Money
11-30-2004, 12:05 AM
**** I applied for that one (stats). I'm sure it'd be a cool part-time job.

A.T. Money
11-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Also, I don't think you're really working for the Sox. You're working for MLB.

SoxxoS
11-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Also, I don't think you're really working for the Sox. You're working for MLB.

:reinsy

"thank God. I don't need anyone else on payroll. Who needs "stats" anyway, right Kenny?"

:KW

Yep.

GiveMeSox
11-30-2004, 12:14 AM
**** I applied for that one (stats). I'm sure it'd be a cool part-time job.
Me Too, through monster.

Chrisaway
11-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Hell I gave it a shot too and I live in Joliet.

chisoxmike
11-30-2004, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I applied a couple months ago. I'd imagine they wont interview until the season is about to start.

ewokpelts
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Also, I don't think you're really working for the Sox. You're working for MLB.you work for whitesox.com, a division of mlb advance media that reports to sox brass
Gene

GiveMeSox
11-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I applied a couple months ago. I'd imagine they wont interview until the season is about to start.
So my question to everyone that applied was this. What did you apply as. I applied still as a student in Engineering at Purdue. That being said i used my resume that i normally use to apply for jobs and internships, so my resume shows engineering background, working, and skills. Mentions nothing of baseball or baseball related jobs. I still know all of us are qualified for this with our baseball knowledge but does it matter if you on a different career path and apply for this job. Did anyone honestly have any sort of resume made that said they worked with baseball business, or baseball stats, or baseball scores, or anything like that. I would assume most of us are just young guys looking for summer work in our passion for the white sox.

Rocklive99
11-30-2004, 11:24 PM
I applied for this a while back, but my school schedule will def interfere with the hours :( Too bad, this would be like my dream job, no matter what the pay was

Ol' No. 2
12-01-2004, 10:45 AM
So my question to everyone that applied was this. What did you apply as. I applied still as a student in Engineering at Purdue. That being said i used my resume that i normally use to apply for jobs and internships, so my resume shows engineering background, working, and skills. Mentions nothing of baseball or baseball related jobs. I still know all of us are qualified for this with our baseball knowledge but does it matter if you on a different career path and apply for this job. Did anyone honestly have any sort of resume made that said they worked with baseball business, or baseball stats, or baseball scores, or anything like that. I would assume most of us are just young guys looking for summer work in our passion for the white sox.A bit of advice from an old fart who's been around the block a few times: Individually tailor your resume for every different job for which you're applying. Even if it's two different employers in the same field, each will have individual needs, strengths and weaknesses that you can address in your resume. Emphasize those traits you have that will be most attractive to each employer, and add a cover letter reiterating those traits. And if you're applying for a job like this, you're nuts if you don't mention that you've been a baseball nut since you were born, and that you have extensive knowledge of baseball statistics, with a listing of same, even if you don't have job experience using them. Math skills will also be important.

chisoxmike
12-01-2004, 01:49 PM
So my question to everyone that applied was this. What did you apply as. I applied still as a student in Engineering at Purdue. That being said i used my resume that i normally use to apply for jobs and internships, so my resume shows engineering background, working, and skills. Mentions nothing of baseball or baseball related jobs. I still know all of us are qualified for this with our baseball knowledge but does it matter if you on a different career path and apply for this job. Did anyone honestly have any sort of resume made that said they worked with baseball business, or baseball stats, or baseball scores, or anything like that. I would assume most of us are just young guys looking for summer work in our passion for the white sox.
I am only 20 years old, I've held the same job now for almost 4 years. Since I've done nothing in the baseball field, I wrote on my resume with working with diverse groups of people, able to complete jobs on time and according to plan. I've been a supervisor for a while now and I put down duties as "directing people to certain tasks, ordering supplies, etc"

I dont think they expect people that are applying to have worked in the baseball field. I think they are looking for people that are able to take a lot of imformation and are able to put it related fields and organize it, and give to to certain people in a timely matter so they can put it on the web.

I'm sure they will interview people, and know that they are all White Sox fans (I hope) that have some knowledge of the game since it was on the web site.

joe47
12-04-2004, 12:04 AM

I also applied for this job, not having any related experience. I work as a Data Analyst, so I stressed my math stills, attention to detail, etc in addition to being a fan of baseball and its statistics.

Has anyone here done this job in past seasons? I would like to get any information about what it is like, who they are looking to hire, etc.

sircaffey1
12-04-2004, 02:01 AM
If you are only 20 and in college, why are you applying for this job? Wouldn't that run into the school year? Does for me at least.

Rocklive99
12-04-2004, 03:11 AM
If you are only 20 and in college, why are you applying for this job? Wouldn't that run into the school year? Does for me at least.
Same reason I didn't apply, but would've been my dream job :(:

Also, for those who did apply, this is written at the bottom:
Note: Stats stringer job openings are subject to business requirements, and, as such, positions may not be available with respect to all MLB teams.
So you can choose from any team, but it is not for sure that the team has an opening