PDA

View Full Version : Boston Talking to Valentin

EMel9281
11-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Apparently, Boston, in an attempt to thwart a repeat early in the offseason, is speaking to Jose Valentin, according to ESPN 1000.

Just one question: Why?

Chicago83
11-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Left-handed power hitter, why not? I'm sure they are looking at him in a backup/situational role. I'd take Jose as a backup IF any day, he's a clutch power hitter. if he would take a pay-cut I would love to have him back in Chicago, just as long as he is not the starting SS.

:mkillcub

SEALgep
11-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Because he's a stop gap, and probably would fit better with their team than ours. I'm wondering if we should offer arbitration to steal their pick, which I assume is why they haven't made it official yet. It's a gamble, but I think I'd do it. I'm also assuming we can offer Jose arbitration, does anyone know for sure?

Flight #24
11-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Jose on the Red Sox would be a great starting SS. Looking beyond the E total to range & plays made, he'd be solid defensively. And at the bat, his career #s with men on combined with the OBP of the rest of the guys will end up with big #s. On that team, he can be a #7 hitter, and be great in that slot.

For the right team (like the Red Sox), he's a great pickup, especially because he'll be relatively cheap and on a short term deal. Unfortunately, the ChiSox are not a team that can position him to be successful.

Daver
11-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Because he's a stop gap, and probably would fit better with their team than ours. I'm wondering if we should offer arbitration to steal their pick, which I assume is why they haven't made it official yet. It's a gamble, but I think I'd do it. I'm also assuming we can offer Jose arbitration, does anyone know for sure?
You can offer any player that filed for FA from your roster arbitration.

The Sox will not offer Jose arbitration and be on the hook for at least 4 mil if he accepts it.

wdelaney72
11-30-2004, 08:41 AM
You can offer any player that filed for FA from your roster arbitration.

The Sox will not offer Jose arbitration and be on the hook for at least 4 mil if he accepts it.
Agreed. I think KW also agrees, THANK GOD.

The Jose Valentin era of the Chicago White Sox has come to an end.

jabrch
11-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Boston wants a 1 year or 2 year solution until Hanley Ramirez is ready. Jose might be a good answer for them.

petekat
11-30-2004, 11:45 AM
surrounded by a great clubhouse, Jose, another great clubhouse guy- could have a career year in Boston. Wouldnt be surprised to see him repeat 30 hrs with a solid avg and a ton of RBIs given Boston's high OBP

Chrisaway
11-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Apparently, Boston, in an attempt to thwart a repeat early in the offseason, is speaking to Jose Valentin, according to ESPN 1000.

Just one question: Why?
Two words: THE STACHE!!!!

duke of dorwood
11-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Dont know about any of you, but if WE signed a 25 HR guy, it would be a good addition. It would be for them too

Brian26
11-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Agreed. I think KW also agrees, THANK GOD.

The Jose Valentin era of the Chicago White Sox has come to an end.

Jose provided this club with a ton of offense and some great memories over the past 5 years. I could easily say he's been the leader of this team since he arrived in 2000. All of this from a guy who wasn't expected to do any of it. We got him for Navarro and John Snyder for crying out loud. Say what you want about Jose leaving town, but count me as one of the guy's who appreciates what Jose has done for us and wouldn't mind him staying here in the RIGHT ROLE. I don't think we should be running Jose out of town like he's Royce Clayton or D'Angelo Jiminez.