PDA

View Full Version : Gammons Reports Johnson and Yankees getting closer

11-29-2004, 05:14 PM
The deal will be Vazquez, 2 prospects, and a lot of Cash!!! Apprently he wants the Yankees because they can sign him to the extension that he wants

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
The deal will be Vazquez, 2 prospects, and a lot of Cash!!! Apprently he wants the Yankees because they can sign him to the extension that he wantsDo the Yankees HAVE two prospects?

JUribe1989
11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Finally, the realistic deal comes out. i never thought we could pull off RJ. I think KW has the ability to, I just dont think that RJ would want to play for us.

Soxzilla
11-29-2004, 05:25 PM
This won't happen unless the Yankees want to keep that budget under 200 million AND sign Beltran.

At least ... in my opinion.:cool:

11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Do the Yankees HAVE two prospects?
One prospect they have is Ben Franklin....apprently he is a can't miss and the Yankees have a lot more just like him:smile:

NonetheLoaiza
11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
One prospect they have is Ben Franklin....apprently he is a can't miss and the Yankees have a lot more just like him:smile:
plus he invented bifocals...

ps...i apologize for that joke. i just couldnt resist.

Soxzilla
11-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Maybe Drew Henson is the second one?:?:

munchman33
11-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Expect the Diamondbacks to immediately trade Vazquez to us for Konerko, Carl Everett, and possibly Jon Garland. Them keeping Vazquez, as Boston Gammons has reported numerous times, simply makes no sense.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Expect the Diamondbacks to immediately trade Vazquez to us for Konerko, Carl Everett, and possibly Jon Garland. Them keeping Vazquez, as Boston Gammons has reported numerous times, simply makes no sense.Konerko, Everett AND Garland is way too steep for Vazquez unless they throw in another player. I agree that some sort of 3-way makes a lot more sense. But I see the third team supplying the prospects to make it work. The Yankees' cupboard is pretty bare.

FightingBillini
11-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Expect the Diamondbacks to immediately trade Vazquez to us for Konerko, Carl Everett, and possibly Jon Garland. Them keeping Vazquez, as Boston Gammons has reported numerous times, simply makes no sense.
C'mon, give KW more credit than that. That is a HORRIBLE deal by any means unless we get Vazquez + 6-9million a year. Vazquez can be really good, but he is not worth what RJ is.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 05:45 PM
C'mon, give KW more credit than that. That is a HORRIBLE deal by any means unless we get Vazquez + 6-9million a year. Vazquez can be really good, but he is not worth what RJ is.Everybody remember, the source of this is Boston Gammons. He took the weekend off and has to come up with something for a story.

:boston Besides, when the White Sox move to the AL East, the Yankees would be trading within their division!

munchman33
11-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Konerko, Everett AND Garland is way too steep for Vazquez unless they throw in another player. I agree that some sort of 3-way makes a lot more sense. But I see the third team supplying the prospects to make it work. The Yankees' cupboard is pretty bare.
It works money-wise. I'd expect the Diamondbacks to kick us some prospects, though.

11-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Konerkos name in that deal would really piss me off! We would have to make a BIG move to get some bats to replace him...we would need Dye in right, especially with Everett gone, and a Nomar type

Win1ForMe
11-29-2004, 07:06 PM
That would be a BRUTAL trade. Vazquez is a reclamation project and we already have that with Contreras. It really wouldn't surprise me if Garland had a better 2005 than Vazquez, and I don't think Garland is any good to begin with.

Kogs35
11-29-2004, 07:18 PM
vazques was over rated by espn when they where talking trade with montreal and actually did it last year. the king belived espn and gave him a huge contract for what being traded to ny? stay away from vazquez

Lip Man 1
11-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Johnson = Yankees...

Big surprise!

Lip

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 08:03 PM
It works money-wise. I'd expect the Diamondbacks to kick us some prospects, though.With the Yankees paying most of Vazquez' salary, it doesn't work money-wise. I'd expect that money to go with him. And it would be way too much to give up for just Vazquez. I'd expect more than prospects. I'd expect a major-league ready player. The only guy I see on their roster that I like would be Shea Hillenbrand. He can hit for average and can play both 1B and 3B.

Besides, the Sox will probably want to keep Dino as a DH until Thomas is back and producing.

striker60657
11-29-2004, 08:05 PM
There is no way I would give up Kornerko or Garland for Vazquez. Not when you can get a Pavano or Clement for the same salary and not lose any players.

munchman33
11-29-2004, 08:30 PM
There is no way I would give up Kornerko or Garland for Vazquez. Not when you can get a Pavano or Clement for the same salary and not lose any players.
I don't know what Kenny's budget is, but my guess is he'll have to dump Konerko's salary to add one of those guys anyways.

A. Cavatica
11-29-2004, 09:03 PM
If the salaries were equal, I'd take Vazquez over Pavano or Clement. He had a rough time in NY, but he'll be back.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 09:27 PM
I don't know what Kenny's budget is, but my guess is he'll have to dump Konerko's salary to add one of those guys anyways.Not necessarily. I would assume the Yankees would eat most of Vazqez' salary, and that money would follow him to the White Sox if this trade happened.

Mohoney
11-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Not necessarily. I would assume the Yankees would eat most of Vazqez' salary, and that money would follow him to the White Sox if this trade happened.
Maybe Garland and lesser prospects (Dennis Ulacia and Enemencio Pacheco would, in my opinion, be fair) to the Yankees for Vazquez and almost all of his 2005 salary, then Garland goes to Arizona with the combined Yankee/White Sox prospects for RJ?

Maybe Garland and the same lesser prospects to the Rangers for Soriano, then Soriano to the Yankees for Vazquez and cash, and the Yankees sign Pedro and give up the RJ deal, assuming that Soriano+Pedro>RJ?

I can't wait until the winter meetings.

cornball
11-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Having spent last week in NY, I can tell you the press believes the RJ deal at this point is just a formality. All other FA are on hold for the NYY (Pedro ect) until RJ is a Yankee from all NY papers.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Having spent last week in NY, I can tell you the press believes the RJ deal at this point is just a formality. All other FA are on hold for the NYY (Pedro ect) until RJ is a Yankee from all NY papers.What else would you expect from the NY press?

spanishwhite
11-30-2004, 12:01 AM
The Yankees' cupboard is pretty bare.
The Yankees still have one of the worst if not the worst minor leagues in the majors, but they had a very strong draft (PTBNL's) last year and Navarro, Cano, and Duncan (their top three) are still very good prospects, and Halsey is a sleeper prospect who "dominated" (a lefty control pitcher can dominate?) AAA.

Not to mention they have a prospect named Wang who can get it up in the upper 90's.

TheBull19
11-30-2004, 03:20 AM
The only guy I see on their roster that I like would be Shea Hillenbrand.
Luis Terraro, their rookie CFer, would be the one guy I'd want - he has some serious talent - awesome defensive ability, can fly, has a cannon and has good line-drive, gap power. Carlos Beltran type talent with a bit less power. Doubt they'd trade him, though.

wdelaney72
11-30-2004, 07:50 AM
This just makes me more convinced RJ is not going to the Yankees. Yes, Vazquez was a disappointment, but he's still a dependable starting pitcher to have in the rotation. In effect, this will cost them 20+ million a year to have RJ for 2 years. It just doesn't make sense. The Yankees still need to sign 2 more starting pitchers, a 2B, and a 1B.

I don't want Vazquez. We took Contreras for $6 million per year, which is $3 million per year too much. Picking up Yankee rejects is not a good way to build a SP rotation.

gosox41
11-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Konekro and Everett is enough for Vazquez IMHO. I wouldn't give up all 3, but won't be sad to see Everett go. Nor would I be sad to see Garland go...in the right deal. Those 3 for Vazquez isn't the right deal.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
11-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Not to mention they have a prospect named Wang who can get it up in the upper 90's.
Was the pun intended.

If he is traded it gives new meaning to "no more yankee my wankee."