PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Kelly Wunsch?

Gosox1917
11-29-2004, 05:54 PM
I miss good ol' Kelly. I know he was up in with the big boys in May and did a decent job but was sent back down shortly after. I looked at his stats at AAA and his ERA was only 2.70 something. Why didn't we call him up. I'm sure he would've done better than Mike Jackson or half the others rookies in the pen this year. Was he injured or is the management blind? Just wondering.

eriqjaffe
11-29-2004, 05:57 PM
IIRC, he was injured while pitching for Charlotte, so the Sox couldn't call him up.

brocco bry
11-29-2004, 07:30 PM
I thought Kelly was the guy that made Kenny mad at the end of spring training. You know the fella that got called out for having a bad attitude.

MHOUSE
12-01-2004, 02:04 PM
From everything I've ever read or seen on tv with or about Kelly Wunsch he always seemed like a class act and an all-round great guy. I might have missed something, but I wouldn't think that he'd have a bad attitude. I wondered while Jackson was sucking, Politte was hurt, and Cotts had a rough stretch why we didn't call him up. Is he a candidate for next year's 'pen? He could get lefties in the 6th-7th and save Marte for the 8th.

Brian26
12-01-2004, 02:07 PM
He battled w/ tendinitis in his shoulder last year. He's a free agent now. The Sox will give him a non-roster invite to Spring Training if nobody has picked him up yet. I doubt he'll be back in a Sox uniform.

pearso66
12-01-2004, 02:10 PM
He battled w/ tendinitis in his shoulder last year. He's a free agent now. The Sox will give him a non-roster invite to Spring Training if nobody has picked him up yet. I doubt he'll be back in a Sox uniform.

I just read on whitesox.com on the mailbag that he won't be offered a non-roster invitation to spring training, and they wished him luck elsewhere, which to me means, you wont be seeing him on the southside, unless its the visitors bullpen, even if he doesn't get invited elsewhere

mweflen
12-01-2004, 02:11 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041128&content_id=916666&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

I loved Kelly. Letting him go is just plain stupid, IMHO. He could pitch better injured than Mike Jackson or Krotch did last year.

SoxFanTillDeath
12-01-2004, 02:46 PM
I loved Kelly. Letting him go is just plain stupid, IMHO. He could pitch better injured than Mike Jackson or Krotch did last year.

You hit the nail right on the head. Kelly was 1 year removed from being our best reliever, and I wondered all year why he was even send down to the minors in the first place...

jabrch
12-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I wish I knew exactly what he did to piss KW off so much...

Randar68
12-01-2004, 03:23 PM
I wish I knew exactly what he did to piss KW off so much...He Got hurt. Get over it.

BRDSR
12-01-2004, 03:45 PM
I just read on whitesox.com on the mailbag that he won't be offered a non-roster invitation to spring training,
That is dumb. It wouldn't even be expensive to sign him since he was injured a good portion of last year. Good lord, who doesn't like Kelly Wunsch? He'll be picked up in a second and we'll still have Adkins in our bullpen. Not nearly as good a pitcher and uglier to boot. We need to make a signing that will lift my spirits soon.

wilburaga
12-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Whatever happens to Kelly from here on, at least one accomplishment of his will be remembered. The cap and glove he wore when he struck out 5 batters in one inning for the Beloit Brewers in 1994 is on display at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. He's one of 4 minor leaguers (0 major leaguers) ever to have done it.

Sox fans - hold onto your Wunsch.

W

santo=dorf
12-01-2004, 04:20 PM
You hit the nail right on the head. Kelly was 1 year removed from being our best reliever, and I wondered all year why he was even send down to the minors in the first place...
and he also had 5-7 MPH "removed" from his fastball. Now do you understand why he was sent down? :?:

Rex Hudler
12-01-2004, 08:59 PM
That is dumb. It wouldn't even be expensive to sign him since he was injured a good portion of last year. Good lord, who doesn't like Kelly Wunsch? He'll be picked up in a second and we'll still have Adkins in our bullpen. Not nearly as good a pitcher and uglier to boot. We need to make a signing that will lift my spirits soon.
Kelly will be pitch in AAA this year. He had his run with the Sox, but he is in reality, a AAAA pitcher.

StockdaleForVeep
12-02-2004, 04:32 AM
I think it had somethin to do with kelly becoming the player Rep for the team, oddly anyone who becomes the representative for the team with the players union always goes bye bye

Randar68
12-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Kelly will be pitch in AAA this year. He had his run with the Sox, but he is in reality, a AAAA pitcher.
When he's not throwing 92-94 he sure is. Not sure if he'll ever regain form, but the monthly "I love Kelly Wunsch and why is KW such a jerk to treat him like this" thread is maddeningly stupid.

How many times do we have to go though this. Maybe we should have a stuck thrad at the top of the page.

Good lord, the guy couldn't even make more than 1 or 2 appearances a week all year because of the shoulder stiffness and pain. *** do people want from the organization.

I hear Albert Belle is looking for work, why didn't the Orioles play him for a couple years? What jerks.

:threadsucks

doublem23
12-02-2004, 12:31 PM
I think it had somethin to do with kelly becoming the player Rep for the team, oddly anyone who becomes the representative for the team with the players union always goes bye bye
Especially when they're injured and don't return to their original level.

Conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracy.

StockdaleForVeep
12-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Especially when they're injured and don't return to their original level.

Conspiracy, conspiracy, conspiracy.KW(williams) was bitching about KW(wunsch) before he got injured and hell, Parque got a shot back with the sox and he didnt return even close to his origional level, and he was given a chance. Wunsch is a pitcher who doesnt need a 85 mph fast ball to get people out and apparently he's good enough that he's not retiring when in the case of parque he retired because i believe his fastball now tops at 78

santo=dorf
12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
KW(williams) was bitching about KW(wunsch) before he got injured and hell, Parque got a shot back with the sox and he didnt return even close to his origional level, and he was given a chance. Wunsch is a pitcher who doesnt need a 85 mph fast ball to get people out and apparently he's good enough that he's not retiring when in the case of parque he retired because i believe his fastball now tops at 78
What event are you talking about, and do you have a source that proves your point? :?:

All I know is that the Sox were going to trade Kelly Wunsch for Mark Bellhorn, but Boston was worried about Kelly's health, and Kelly proceeded to go down to injuries. He never got velocity back on his fastball, and he wouldn't have provided to Sox with much relief help in 2004. IIRC, Kelly was hitting the low 80's with his fastball.

What is this obsession with Wunsch? Some of you need to let go of 2000. Singleton, Wunsch, Perry, and Eldred ain't coming back.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
I may be the only one here who is not enthusiastic about Kelly Wunsch. He wasn't even a decent AAA pitcher in the minors until he came up with that goofy delivery. And like most gimmicks, it had a short shelf life. Once hitters caught on that they could just wait him out, he was done. In the last month or two of 2003 I don't think he even retired 50% of his batters faced. When I think of Kelly Wunsch, I see him storming off the mound after being brought in to get one lefty out and walking him on 4 pitches. I doubt he'll pitch another 100 innings in the majors.

StockdaleForVeep
12-02-2004, 03:18 PM
I may be the only one here who is not enthusiastic about Kelly Wunsch. He wasn't even a decent AAA pitcher in the minors until he came up with that goofy delivery. And like most gimmicks, it had a short shelf life. Once hitters caught on that they could just wait him out, he was done. In the last month or two of 2003 I don't think he even retired 50% of his batters faced. When I think of Kelly Wunsch, I see him storming off the mound after being brought in to get one lefty out and walking him on 4 pitches. I doubt he'll pitch another 100 innings in the majors.

With the exception of 2001, he has had consistant decent seasons. As for his last season, he did have a zero era :cool:

maurice
12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Parque got a shot back with the sox and he didnt return even close to his origional level, and he was given a chance.
And that was a mistake, because Parque was really bad.

Wunsch needs to prove that he can pitch more than 40 innings / season without injuring himself before I'll regret losing him.

Randar68
12-02-2004, 05:12 PM
With the exception of 2001, he has had consistant decent seasons. As for his last season, he did have a zero era :cool::prozac

Would you play a guy who just lost 5-10 mph off his stuff and couldn't stay healthy pitching 1 or 2 innings a week in AAA?

*****! Lay off the:

:bong:

Gosox1917
12-02-2004, 05:30 PM
When he's not throwing 92-94 he sure is. Not sure if he'll ever regain form, but the monthly "I love Kelly Wunsch and why is KW such a jerk to treat him like this" thread is maddeningly stupid.

How many times do we have to go though this. Maybe we should have a stuck thrad at the top of the page.

Good lord, the guy couldn't even make more than 1 or 2 appearances a week all year because of the shoulder stiffness and pain. *** do people want from the organization.

I hear Albert Belle is looking for work, why didn't the Orioles play him for a couple years? What jerks.

:threadsucksGeez, I was just asking what happened to him. I didn't know at all what had happened except that he wasn't on the roster. I liked him as a player earlier in his career and was simply interested in what was goin on with him. I regret asking considering they answered my question much more in-depth and without criticism on whitesox.com. but hey, thanks anyway. BYE.

Whitesox029
12-03-2004, 12:55 AM
You know I was looking at the title of this thread, and I was thinking we need a good creative tag that says something like "FELL OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH" or something--I think a good picture would be Wiley Coyote floating in midair after running off a cliff, right before falling.....To all you photoshop wizards--get on this one!

steff
12-03-2004, 08:53 AM
I wish I knew exactly what he did to piss KW off so much...

He didn't do anything. It wasn't him. It was Scott.

Randar68
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Geez, I was just asking what happened to him. I didn't know at all what had happened except that he wasn't on the roster. I liked him as a player earlier in his career and was simply interested in what was goin on with him. I regret asking considering they answered my question much more in-depth and without criticism on whitesox.com. but hey, thanks anyway. BYE.
We've rehashed this seemingly 50 times since last April. Yet, every month or so someone comes trotting in with a "What happenned to Kelly, KW BLOWS for dropping him" thread....

It's old, tired, and yesterday's news. Welcome to December 2004. Time for everyone to get over it.

Gosox1917
12-03-2004, 01:41 PM
We've rehashed this seemingly 50 times since last April. Yet, every month or so someone comes trotting in with a "What happenned to Kelly, KW BLOWS for dropping him" thread....

It's old, tired, and yesterday's news. Welcome to December 2004. Time for everyone to get over it.
IS SOMEBODY CRANKY? LET'S GET THE BIG BOY HIS BA BA. Unfortunately, I don't have time to read EVERY thread on this website, but I'll tell ya what, for you, I'll cancel my plans for the weekend and read them all so I'm caught up and don't end up pissin you off.

Randar68
12-03-2004, 02:14 PM
IS SOMEBODY CRANKY? LET'S GET THE BIG BOY HIS BA BA. Unfortunately, I don't have time to read EVERY thread on this website, but I'll tell ya what, for you, I'll cancel my plans for the weekend and read them all so I'm caught up and don't end up pissin you off.
It's one thing to ask what happenned and wait for a response. It's another for a bunch of people to start making BS stories up to fit some preconceived notion of the truth without any basis in reality or fact.

move on.

fquaye149
12-03-2004, 02:14 PM
that would be nice for the rest of us.

santo=dorf
12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=24047

Gosox1917
12-03-2004, 03:20 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=24047
HOLY ****!:o: For the record I didn't make up any bull**** stories either. But now that my question is answered I'd be very very happy to let the thread and the subject die.