PDA

View Full Version : Rogers: Sox secretly chasing Nomar?

Jjav829
11-29-2004, 12:21 AM
In his article today, Phil Rogers says that some believe the Sox are going after Nomar, but are doing so underground to avoid the Omar Vizquel situation.

The White Sox were interested in Nomar Garciaparra a year ago. Some believe they are making another push, but they have gone underground since failing to sign Omar Vizquel. Their interest in Vizquel would not have been so great if they were drafting 16th in the 2005 draft rather than 15th. You can't lose one of the top 15 picks, so the Sox would have had to sacrifice a second-round pick, not a first, to sign Vizquel. San Francisco is losing its first-rounder to sign Vizquel, as it forfeited a first-rounder to sign Michael Tucker a year ago. You get the idea GM Brian Sabean doesn't think first-round picks are worth the money and aggravation.
You know, the more I think about this, the more I think it is a realistic possibility. The Cubs won't offer Nomar arbitration so they must get a deal done before Dec. 7. Nomar has interest in signing for only one year and the Cubs are willing to do so. However, the Cubs also have been rumored to have interest in Renteria and Cabrera, and I think they might rather find a long term solution. Since free agent signings aren't likely to heat up until the winter meetings, Nomar may wind up leaving the Cubs. That opens the way for the Sox. Nomar and Mia supposedly like Chicago, and would not mind staying here. If he truly does like the city, I can see a situation where the Sox sign him to a one year deal. The deal wouldn't be a big commitment, so it seems like a deal that Jerry wouldn't mind. Maybe they even convince Nomar to accept a team option year. I know there is a lot of speculation in this, but it doesn't seem too far fetched.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0411280253nov28,0,5331339.column?coll=cs-baseball-print)

BRDSR
11-29-2004, 12:50 AM
I think that signing Nomar to a one or two year deal worth between 9 and 11 million per year would be the best free agent or trade acquisition they could make this offseason. Acquiring Randy Johnson is the only rival, but he's getting old and he costs a lot of money as well as talent. Nomar, on the other hand, costs only money. If the Sox were to sign Nomar, they would have the ability to fill the 5th starter role by trading for a 2nd or 3rd starter that wouldn't cost as much in talent or money. This seems like the best possible offseason the White Sox could have.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-29-2004, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to signing Nomar. He's put up great offensive numbers throughout his career with not a lot of strikeouts. Adding him or any other SS would most likely bump either willie harris or joe crede out of the starting line up which would be plus. The only thing that's a bit scary is the injury problems he had last season which caused him to play in only 81 games. The attitude problem only occured last season because he couldn't get a new deal with the red sox and was nearly replaced by Alex Rodriguez in the offseason. The White Sox need to bring in someone to fill in the void caused by the loss of Magglo Ordonez, and Nomar Garciaparra would fill that void offensively.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-29-2004, 12:53 AM
I think that signing Nomar to a one or two year deal worth between 9 and 11 million per year would be the best free agent or trade acquisition they could make this offseason. Only if they also go out and get another starting pitcher. Some of you continue to overlook how bad that situation is. If we sign Adrian Beltre, Carlos Beltran, Nomar Garciaparra, and Babe Ruth, we'd still struggle to make it to the playoffs with Jason Grilli as our # 5.

Tragg
11-29-2004, 12:55 AM
He's consistently on the injured list, he's constantly whining and complaining ----aka a clubhouse cancer, and his numbers do not replace Maggs'. The Red Sox made a concerted effort over a full season to get rid of him, let's be sure to pick him up - must be the missing ingredient.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-29-2004, 12:58 AM
The White Sox need to bring in someone to fill in the void caused by the loss of Magglo Ordonez, and Nomar Garciaparra would fill that void offensively.
See my Jeff Kent post.

Jjav829
11-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Only if they also go out and get another starting pitcher. Some of you continue to overlook how bad that situation is. If we sign Adrian Beltre, Carlos Beltran, Nomar Garciaparra, and Babe Ruth, we'd still struggle to make it to the playoffs with Jason Grilli as our # 5.
Babe Ruth would make a hell of a #5 pitcher. :cool:

Nomar does have some health problems, but the Sox situation fits with what the team that signs Nomar would need. That is to say, whatever team signs Nomar needs a good backup. With Uribe, Crede, and Harris, the Sox have some decent depth. Crede would start at 3rd, Nomar at short, and a platoon of Willie/Uribe at 2nd. Uribe could go back to the super-sub role. He can split time with Willie at 2nd while subbing for Crede (if needed, hopefully he proves to be an everyday player) and more importantly, Nomar.

SomebodyToldMe
11-29-2004, 01:08 AM
This got me excited. I'm a fan of Nomar (even though I disowned him for half of this season :redneck ) and I'd welcome him here.

CubKilla
11-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Would make sense if the Sox spent $10 million +/2yrs on an oft-injured Nomar. After all, KW is the GM.....

Foulke You
11-29-2004, 01:17 AM
He's consistently on the injured list, he's constantly whining and complaining ----aka a clubhouse cancer, and his numbers do not replace Maggs'. The Red Sox made a concerted effort over a full season to get rid of him, let's be sure to pick him up - must be the missing ingredient.
You're right, why would we want a big name all-star shortstop to play for the Sox when we have the dynamic up the middle combo of Uribe and Harris??

santo=dorf
11-29-2004, 01:26 AM
You're right, why would we want a big name all-star shortstop to play for the Sox when we have the dynamic up the middle combo of Uribe and Harris??

I would rather see that money spent on our rotation first.

Give me Johnson and a cheap starter (Alvarez, or even Loaiza,) or a Odalis Perez to fill out the rotation. I don't like Harris, but I wouldn't mind seeing him play second if it meant we had a rotation of either;
Johnson
Buehrle
Garcia
Contreras
Alvarez/Loaiza/Grilli

or

Buehrle
Garcia
FA (Perez or maybe Lieber. Please no Russ Ortiz or Clement.)
Contreras
Garland

:reinsy
"Harris will be at second, and Garland will once again enter the season as our #3 starter."

:ohno
"SSDY."

DumpJerry
11-29-2004, 01:44 AM
George H. Ruth would be a perfect fit for the Sox' starting rotation. He played for the World Champion Red Sox and his bat gets respect for those interleague games on the road (especially since we have a game at Coors). I also think the other batters would be in awe just seeing him on the mound, unable to concentrate on the pitch.

If Frank can't play, we can forgo the DH in the games Ruth pitches.

However, I hear Borassss is his agent.....:angry:

Oh, I'm sorry, was this supposed to be in teal?:D:

Rex Hudler
11-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the Red Sox "concerted effort" to get rid of him did not begin until Nomar turned down a 4-year/$60 million contract. Obviously when that offer was made, they didn't think of Nomar as so much of a cancer.

I don't know Nomar personally and have no real connections to the Red Sox clubhouse, but it seems to me that Nomar becoming a cancer wasn't an issue (or didn't exist at all) until he turned down a contract offer and the Red Sox tried to trade for ARod, which would have meant trading Nomar. When that became public, the relationship between Nomar and the Red Sox went downhill fast.

Granted, Nomar was an idiot for turning down that kind of money, but my attitude might just change a bit too once it has become public my team doesn't want me anymore.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Nomar would be a problem in a different situation.

Rex Hudler
11-29-2004, 01:51 AM
George H. Ruth would be a perfect fit for the Sox' starting rotation. He played for the World Champion Red Sox and his bat gets respect for those interleague games on the road (especially since we have a game at Coors). I also think the other batters would be in awe just seeing him on the mound, unable to concentrate on the pitch.

At 110 years old when next season begins, I would wonder if Babe isn't about to break down physically. Might be a pretty big risk.

Rex Hudler
11-29-2004, 01:52 AM
In all seriousness, Rogers said on ESPN radio last night not to count out the White Sox in the pursuit of Nomar. He still thinks the Cubs are most likely to sign him, but says just because you don't hear anything about the Sox, not to think they aren't milling around. He also said that it is possible the Sox end up driving up the price on the Cubs, making them pay more or offer a longer contract than they want to.

StillMissOzzie
11-29-2004, 01:53 AM

Of course I don't want Babe Ruth on our team - don't you know that he'll be 110 years old by the time pitchers and catchers report to spring training? The opposition would bunt like crazy on the old fart!

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth...

SMO
:D:

DumpJerry
11-29-2004, 01:58 AM
At 110 years old when next season begins, I would wonder if Babe isn't about to break down physically. Might be a pretty big risk.Can't be worse than Everrett. Maybe the Cubune will have a "Ruth Watch" each day until he passes the physical. Borasssss is telling everyone he can play baseball by December 20 (about two weeks after Maggs) and will show the Sox the medical reports as soon as he can locate them........

FightingBillini
11-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Question of the Week

Who would be faster from first to home...
The 110 year old Babe Ruth or the 28 year old Paul Konerko?

jabrch
11-29-2004, 02:07 AM
He's consistently on the injured list

If that were true, it would be a problem. He had a major wrist injury. Then played 2 complete seasons without being injured. Then this year he had an achillies injury from before the season started. His injuries are niether chronic, nor repetitive. He had two, unique, freakish injuries. There is no indication that he will have such injuries - as there was no tie between them, and the latter may have been caused by non-baseball activities.

DumpJerry
11-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Question of the Week

Who would be faster from first to home...
The 110 year old Babe Ruth or the 28 year old Paul Konerko?Close call. One thing is for certain, if we sign Ruth, we can use the DH is his games to bat for Crede. Who would want to face C. Lee, Thomas and Ruth in that order?

SoxFanTillDeath
11-29-2004, 10:05 AM
At 110 years old when next season begins, I would wonder if Babe isn't about to break down physically. Might be a pretty big risk.

Yes, but in this organization, older is better.

Sadly, this is not sarcastic, so no teal. It should be though...

SoxFanTillDeath
11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
I think it's a little ironic...we try to trade Maggs for Nomar last offseason, and it falls through. They both go through injury-ridden seasons in contract years, and now we have a chance to end up with Nomar anyways. The loss of Maggs would sting a whole lot less with Nomar at short.

By the way, why is nomar looking for a 1 year contract while maggs is asking for maximum money when Nomar played more than maggs this year and they were considered equal players a year ago?

munchman33
11-29-2004, 10:37 AM
I think it's a little ironic...we try to trade Maggs for Nomar last offseason, and it falls through. They both go through injury-ridden seasons in contract years, and now we have a chance to end up with Nomar anyways. The loss of Maggs would sting a whole lot less with Nomar at short.

By the way, why is nomar looking for a 1 year contract while maggs is asking for maximum money when Nomar played more than maggs this year and they were considered equal players a year ago?
Scott Boras and his delusions of granduer might have something to do with that. When all is said and done, I believe Maggs will end up signing with someone for 2-3 years at 10 million per. Too bad he and Boras have been dicking around the Sox like they have with this lack of submitting medical records or allowing an examination. If they had, the Sox would certainly have offered arbitration and probably would have resigned him too.

But its like he said, Magg's wants to stay with the White Sox.

jabrch
11-29-2004, 11:10 AM
I think the whole "nomar is looking for 1 year" thing got blown out of proportion. He's not looking for one year - he is willing to take 1 year if he can't find a suitable 3-5 year deal. There is a difference. He wants 13-14mm per for 4 years. He may not be getting it. So his choice might be to take 10-12 for 3-4 years, or take a 1 year deal and play himself into his next contract. In any case, I don't see him getting less than 10mm. I'd still like to see him in this lineup. He'd be a nice replacement for Ordonez in the lineup. And we can easily replace Valentin's performance (or distinct lack thereof) with Crazy Carl.

FightingBillini
11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Nomar is willing to take a one year contract to prove himself so he can get a huge deal next year (see Pudge Rodriguez). Magglio may never play baseball again, so he wants to get all the money he possibly can right now from some sucker of a team. I can hear it in my head right now "go on, take the money and run." That why he hired Borass. He knows that he can only get that big contract now by deceiving a team, like they have done with the White Sox.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Nomar is willing to take a one year contract to prove himself so he can get a huge deal next year (see Pudge Rodriguez). Magglio may never play baseball again, so he wants to get all the money he possibly can right now from some sucker of a team. I can hear it in my head right now "go on, take the money and run." That why he hired Borass. He knows that he can only get that big contract now by deceiving a team, like they have done with the White Sox.I seriously doubt any team would be dumb enough to offer Maggs big money without a thorough medical evaluation of their own. Which makes the whole situation all the more mysterious. I think it's designed to do nothing more than to prevent the Sox from offering arbitration. It will become much more clear after Dec 7.

11-29-2004, 12:29 PM
It's not a Secret Anymore....ESPN Insider has the White Sox down as a possible suitor for Nomar...So if he was planning on flying under the radar, that plan is out the window...again this is a highly unlikely senerio, I don't know why but when I see the Sox invloved in a rumor to get a big name player, I just ignore it.

wdelaney72
11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
For what it would cost to sign Nomar, I'd rather have Renteria, even if it requires committing more years.

Nomar is was too fragile.

Foulke You
11-29-2004, 02:37 PM
I would rather see that money spent on our rotation first.

Give me Johnson and a cheap starter (Alvarez, or even Loaiza,) or a Odalis Perez to fill out the rotation. I don't like Harris, but I wouldn't mind seeing him play second if it meant we had a rotation of either;
Johnson
Buehrle
Garcia
Contreras
Alvarez/Loaiza/Grilli

or

Buehrle
Garcia
FA (Perez or maybe Lieber. Please no Russ Ortiz or Clement.)
Contreras
Garland

:reinsy
"Harris will be at second, and Garland will once again enter the season as our #3 starter."

:ohno
"SSDY."

I agree completely, I want Randy Johnson (or another pitcher) before Nomar as well. However, I would be very happy to see Nomar sign here. We need another infielder and replacing Valentin with a big name all star shortstop like Garciaparra would be fantastic. There are some people on these boards look at a signing like that as a negative citing injuries and the clubhouse cancer nonsense drummed up by the Boston media after he was traded. The Cubs certaintly didn't complain about his attitude for the couple months he was there. I look at a Nomar signing like this: Uribe playing 2B, an all star player at SS, while Willie Harris sits the bench waiting for a pinch running situation. What could be wrong with that?:cool:

SouthSide_HitMen
11-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Babe Ruth, at 110, is a better injury risk and would have better defensive stats than Carl "Jurassic Park" Everett. JR would also have to compensate Harold Baines for giving up the retired #3, which may be the deal beaker.

I still think KW would be excited - the older the player the more he covets.

gosox41
11-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Found this at the BP website. Interesting comparison among the 3 SS's, though no surprise Nomar is the best offensive player:

RENTERIA CABRERA GARCIAPARRA
AGE 29 30 31
BORN IN Colombia Colombia U.S.A.
EXPERIENCE Nine years Eight years Nine years
2004 SALARY $7.25MM $6.0MM $11.5MM
PERCEPTION Good guy Team player Malingerer

CAREER OFFENSE .289/.346/.400 .268/.316/.409 .322/.370/.549
CAREER HR/RBI 83/565 72/412 182/710
CAREER BB/K 434/675 244/321 295/420
CAREER SB/CS 237/89 (72.7%) 97/30 (76.4%) 86/29 (74.8%)
# ALL-STAR APPEARANCES 4 0 5
# GOLD GLOVES 2 1 0
# WORLD SERIES RINGS 1 1 0

2004 OFFENSE
AVG/OBP/SLG .287/.327/.401 .264/.306/.383 .308/.365/.477
HR/RBI 10/72 10/62 9/41
BB/K 39/78 39/54 24/30
VALUE OVER REPLACEMENT 26.5 13.7 29.7
EQUIVALENT AVERAGE .255 .241 .285
OFFENSIVE REPUTATION Good Eh Fading

2004 DEFENSE
RUNS ABOVE AVERAGE -12 -7 -8
DEFENSIVE REPUTATION Good Very gooChallenged
CONTRACT ESTIMATE 3Y/$25MM 2$15MM 1Y/
9MM

Bob

SouthSide_HitMen
11-29-2004, 03:50 PM
However, I would be very happy to see Nomar sign here. We need another infielder and replacing Valentin with a big name all star shortstop like Garciaparra would be fantastic. .....Willie Harris sits the bench waiting for a pinch running situation. What could be wrong with that?:cool:Willie Harris will also spell Rowand in CF and therefore he is used more productively.

BP Prospectus evaluated the three SS the Cubs are considering as follows:

RENTERIA CABRERA GARCIAPARRA
AGE 29 30 31
BORN IN Colombia Colombia U.S.A.
EXPERIENCE Nine years Eight years Nine years
2004 SALARY $7.25MM $6.0MM $11.5MM
PERCEPTION Good guy Team player Malingerer
CAREER .289/.346/.400 .268/.316/.409 .322/.370/.549
CAREER HR/RBI 83/565 72/412 182/710
CAREER BB/K 434/675 244/321 295/420
CAREER SB/CS 237/89 (72.7%) 97/30 (76.4%) 86/29 (74.8%)
# ALL-STAR 4 0 5
# GOLD GLOVES 2 1 0
# WS RINGS 1 1 0

2004 OFFENSE
AVG/OBP/SLG .287/.327/.401 .264/.306/.383 .308/.365/.477
HR/RBI 10/72 10/62 9/41
BB/K 39/78 39/54 24/30
VORP 26.5 13.7 29.7
EQUIVALENT AVG .255 .241 .285
OFFENSIVE REP Good Eh Fading

2004 DEFENSE
RUNS AA -12 -7 -8
DEFENSIVE REP Good Very good Challenged
CONTRACT EST 3Y/$25MM 2Y/$15MM 1Y/$9MM

With Nomar getting the nod as the best signing (cost & production considered). I happen to agree that outside of a solid starter, Normar (middle infield) would be the second best place to address a Sox hole and improve the team's chances for a possible playoff appearance.

Wealz
11-29-2004, 04:08 PM
If they can't get multi-year deals to their liking, I think it would behoove guys like Nomar and Hidalgo to seriously consider the White Sox for a year. The reason of course is that the cell is a right-handed hitter's paradise. I wouldn't want either of those guys long-term, but for a year it wouldn't be a bad risk.

Jjav829
11-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Don't get your hopes up guys. There's a simple reason he won't be on the White Sox.......he's one of my favorite players (except for that little stint he had with the north side morons this season). My favorite players are all on other teams, and they never make it to the south side. It's the reason Nomar wasn't traded for Magglio last year. It's the reason Jason Kendall will be donning an Oakland A's uni next year and not a White Sox one. It's probably the reason Maggs is gone too. I guess it's my own little curse. :cool:

You can also cross off Scott Rolen, Carlos Beltran, Jason Varitek, Khalil Greene, Ryan Freel, Jody Gerut among others as players that could possibly play for the White Sox some day....

Mohoney
11-29-2004, 10:44 PM
If we're spending that kind of money on Nomar, why not just bring Magglio back?

SomebodyToldMe
11-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Don't get your hopes up guys. There's a simple reason he won't be on the White Sox.......he's one of my favorite players (except for that little stint he had with the north side morons this season). My favorite players are all on other teams, and they never make it to the south side. It's the reason Nomar wasn't traded for Magglio last year. It's the reason Jason Kendall will be donning an Oakland A's uni next year and not a White Sox one. It's probably the reason Maggs is gone too. I guess it's my own little curse. :cool:

You can also cross off Scott Rolen, Carlos Beltran, Jason Varitek, Khalil Greene, Ryan Freel, Jody Gerut among others as players that could possibly play for the White Sox some day....

I'm a fan of Nomar (even though I disowned him for half of this season :redneck )...
You and I think alike!

Flight #24
11-29-2004, 11:16 PM
You mean outside of the multi-year contract and the BME?

munchman33
11-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Is Magglio healthy? The only way the Sox can resign Magglio now is to offer arbitration first. If Magglio turns out not to be healthy and accepts arbitration, we basically spent 12-16 million dollars this year for zero production.

That's why not.

Mohoney
11-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Is Magglio healthy? The only way the Sox can resign Magglio now is to offer arbitration first. If Magglio turns out not to be healthy and accepts arbitration, we basically spent 12-16 million dollars this year for zero production.

That's why not.
My point is, I'm not sold on Nomar's health, either. He could also be $10+ million of next-to-zero production over a multi-year contract. I honestly don't believe that Nomar is going to sign any one-year deal, but even if he does, if we're going to gamble one year, $10+ million on somebody with injury problems, why not gamble on a guy that has already produced here and has a built-in appeal among our fanbase?

I'm just not excited at all by the prospect of Nomar being here. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose Magglio.

Of course, I would choose Randy Johnson over either one of them.:wink:

nitetrain8601
11-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Maggs has a problem that no one knows about. Nomar had two injuries. Wrist injuries a couple of years ago and his injury last year. Both totally different and both non-repititive.

Flight #24
11-30-2004, 12:01 AM
My point is, I'm not sold on Nomar's health, either. He could also be $10+ million of next-to-zero production over a multi-year contract. I honestly don't believe that Nomar is going to sign any one-year deal, but even if he does, if we're going to gamble one year, $10+ million on somebody with injury problems, why not gamble on a guy that has already produced here and has a built-in appeal among our fanbase?

I'm just not excited at all by the prospect of Nomar being here. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose Magglio.

It's quite simple. Nomar's shown that he can currently play, i.e. he's healthy & recovered enough to produce at least decently. Maggs may not even be ready to open the season (and he won't let the Sox determine if he will or not). RF is also a lot easier position to fill than SS.

nitetrain8601
11-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Shortstop

The Cubs continue to negotiate with Garciaparra on a one-year deal but must get it done by Dec. 7. Other intriguing possibilities include the Cardinals' Edgar Renteria and Boston's Orlando Cabrera, but neither will be cheap. The Cardinals already have offered Renteria $22 million over four years, and Cabrera wants three years at an average of more than the $6 million he made last season.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-041128rowcenter,1,6970066.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

That's the Tribune talking about Cubs' needs. But what pops out at me is the offer the Cards gave to Renteria. 5.5 per year. I would go up to 9 mil if that's what he's considering over Nomar. Take Nomar as a 2nd choice though.

Flight #24
11-30-2004, 12:25 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-041128rowcenter,1,6970066.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

That's the Tribune talking about Cubs' needs. But what pops out at me is the offer the Cards gave to Renteria. 5.5 per year. I would go up to 9 mil if that's what he's considering over Nomar. Take Nomar as a 2nd choice though.
I tell you what - if the Sox made an offer like that to a player like Renteria, they'd be instantly accused of not being serious and making only an offer that they knew would be refused so that they could tell the fans "we tried". I sure am glad successful teams don't operate that way.....they just write blank checks.

FightingBillini
11-30-2004, 12:25 AM

I think either the number of years is wrong of the amount of dollars. Renteria is worth a lot more than $5.5mil a year, and will sign for more. On the other hand, if he IS gonna take $5.5 a year from the Cardinals, the Sox should swoop in and pick him up for $6.5-$7mil a year.

FightingBillini
11-30-2004, 12:38 AM

It also says that Matheny wants $5mil for two years. I would sign him tomorrow.

nitetrain8601
11-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I would sign him today.

Justafan
11-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Caught the ESPN 1000 update and heard that Bruce Levine is reporting that Hendry and Nomar's agent, Arn Telam, are going to get together in a few days to work out a contract for Nomar.

munchman33
11-30-2004, 02:41 PM

I don't think you completely understand the Maggs situation. We will not even be able to have our doctors give him a physical before we have to decide on the arbitration issue. If we approach Nomar with a contract offer, we would require him to at the very least do that.