PDA

View Full Version : Available players through Rule 5

RichH55
11-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Coming in mid-December(taken from rotoworld)

Some names of note:
Jason Cooper -OF
Dan Denham -RHP
Ben Fritz -RHP coming off Tommy John, so he would go on the 60 day DL, could have some nice upside
Colt Griffin - Royals 100 Mph coming out of high school, still a project
Luke Haggerty - LHP Cubs
Carmen Pignatiello(local boy)
Royce Ring (Ex Sox)
Davis Romero - LHP
Brandon Sing - 1B...kind of old for A ball, but 32 HR is still good
Andy Sisco - LHP Cubs, probably the best guy availble, and probably actually ready to be on a major league roster
Anthony Webster(Ex Sox- Carl Everett Rangers trade)

RichH55
11-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Also, not sure, but a definate maybe

Jack Cust - DH might be availble

Flight #24
11-27-2004, 09:20 AM

Some names of note:
Royce Ring (Ex Sox)
So what happened to all that talent that KW traded away?

jabrch
11-27-2004, 10:13 AM
So what happened to all that talent that KW traded away?

He paid so much for Carl and Robbie....oh wait a second....

jabrch
11-27-2004, 10:13 AM

Some names of note:
Jason Cooper -OF
Dan Denham -RHP
Ben Fritz -RHP coming off Tommy John, so he would go on the 60 day DL, could have some nice upside
Colt Griffin - Royals 100 Mph coming out of high school, still a project
Luke Haggerty - LHP Cubs
Carmen Pignatiello(local boy)
Royce Ring (Ex Sox)
Davis Romero - LHP
Brandon Sing - 1B...kind of old for A ball, but 32 HR is still good
Andy Sisco - LHP Cubs, probably the best guy availble, and probably actually ready to be on a major league roster

None of those guys look like they will be on a 24 man roster all season - so no reason to pick them up...

RichH55
11-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Well I think Sisco is really an intriguing guy...A LHP with good stuff that you can get for 50 K?

Where do I sign?

I think you also take a look at Fritz because you can store him away

Call me crazy, but I like the idea of something for nothing

jabrch
11-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Well I think Sisco is really an intriguing guy...A LHP with good stuff that you can get for 50 K?

Where do I sign?

I think you also take a look at Fritz because you can store him away

Call me crazy, but I like the idea of something for nothing

4-10 with a 4+ ERA in 25 starts in Single A... Please don't sign me up to have that on our 24 man roster.

DVsoxfan
11-27-2004, 10:59 AM
What's the deal with Ring? When we traded him, wasnt he said to be a year away from being a closer for the Mets? Was he injured...or something else...?

jabrch
11-27-2004, 11:05 AM
What's the deal with Ring? When we traded him, wasnt he said to be a year away from being a closer for the Mets? Was he injured...or something else...?

Terrible move by KW - fleeced again...

soxpower
11-27-2004, 11:05 AM
We should pick up Royce Ring if he's available. He could be used in middle relief.

infohawk
11-27-2004, 12:25 PM
None of those guys look like they will be on a 24 man roster all season - so no reason to pick them up...
You never know when you might get lucky and strike gold. I think that the Twins picked up Johann Santana from the Rule V draft. I believe it was the Marlins who left him unprotected. I'm almost sure that neither the Marlins nor Twins realized at the time how good he would end up being. Not a bad player to take a flyer on!

jabrch
11-27-2004, 12:33 PM
You never know when you might get lucky and strike gold. I think that the Twins picked up Johann Santana from the Rule V draft. I believe it was the Marlins who left him unprotected. I'm almost sure that neither the Marlins nor Twins realized at the time how good he would end up being. Not a bad player to take a flyer on!

Actually, Houston left him unprotected. The Marlins took him from Houston in the Rule V draft. They traded him to Minnesota. The difference is that Santana was a 21 year old in AA with some success at that level. Sisco has yet to have any significant success and was a failure at Single A. Not to say it can't happen - but...

infohawk
11-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Actually, Houston left him unprotected. The Marlins took him from Houston in the Rule V draft. They traded him to Minnesota. The difference is that Santana was a 21 year old in AA with some success at that level. Sisco has yet to have any significant success and was a failure at Single A. Not to say it can't happen - but...
Ah, thanks for the clarification regarding where Santana came from. I knew that he had some connection to the Marlins. Did the Twins originally consider him primarily as a pick-up for the bullpen when they traded for him?

jabrch
11-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification regarding where Santana came from. I knew that he had some connection to the Marlins. Did the Twins originally consider him primarily as a pick-up for the bullpen when they traded for him?

If my memory is correct, they felt he'd eventually grow into being a starter. He was a starter in AA where he had had some success. That's what differentiates him from Sisco. Sisco really was bad last year.

Rex Hudler
11-27-2004, 01:54 PM
4-10 with a 4+ ERA in 25 starts in Single A... Please don't sign me up to have that on our 24 man roster.
Actually the roster is 25 players, not 24. And FWIW, Sisco was coming off an arm injury this past season. I don't know enough about him to say what his long term future still is, but let's at least be fair and note that he was coming off surgery and a rehab year isn't always the best indicator of a player's true talents.

Rex Hudler
11-27-2004, 01:59 PM
So what happened to all that talent that KW traded away? Don't discount Webster. He had a pretty nice year this past year, despite only playing in 99 games due to an injury. He was just 20 years old, so he has plenty of time to continue to develop. He was not protected, simply because it he is not likley close enough to ready for the big leagues to warrant a team taking him. At least I am sure that is what Texas is banking on.

What's the deal with Ring? When we traded him, wasnt he said to be a year away from being a closer for the Mets? Was he injured...or something else...?Ring was overrated from the get-go. He either never had the velocity that was reported or basically lost it right away. He was throwing 86-88 mph consistently when traded. I felt when he was traded that he would still become a decent reliever, but never considered him closer material at the MLB level. Trading him was not a bad move.

pearso66
11-27-2004, 02:21 PM
I wouldnt mind picking up Sisco or ring and throwing them in the pen, If it doesnt work out, we send them back, and if it does, we get 1-2 guys for cheap. They can't be any worse than our pen last year. I think its worth a shot at least

benjamin
11-27-2004, 03:36 PM
It's actually a 25 man roster. It would essentially be a 24 man roster if you take one of these guys and avoid playing him.

santo=dorf
11-27-2004, 03:47 PM
It's actually a 25 man roster. It would essentially be a 24 man roster if you take one of these guys and avoid playing him.
I thought they just have to be kept on the 40 man roster otherwise they would be sent back.

Grilli wasn't with the Sox all year last season. (He was a rule 5 pick from the Marlins.)

Jjav829
11-27-2004, 04:57 PM
I thought they just have to be kept on the 40 man roster otherwise they would be sent back.

Grilli wasn't with the Sox all year last season. (He was a rule 5 pick from the Marlins.)
Grilli cleared waivers though, and the Marlins renounced his rights. So his situation changed to where the Rule 5 specifications didn't apply. That's why the Sox were able to keep him and send him down to the minors.

pearso66
11-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Grilli cleared waivers though, and the Marlins renounced his rights. So his situation changed to where the Rule 5 specifications didn't apply. That's why the Sox were able to keep him and send him down to the minors.

I thought we picked him up through the rule 5, and when we sent him down, we worked out a trade so that we could keep him, cash for him? Grilli that is

sox7235
11-28-2004, 02:18 AM
I thought we picked him up through the rule 5, and when we sent him down, we worked out a trade so that we could keep him, cash for him? Grilli that is
I think your right. KW really wanted to keep him and Ozzie was going to send him down so The Sox and Marlins made a minor deal that allowed Grilli to stay with The Sox and send him down.

Rex Hudler
11-28-2004, 07:07 AM
The deal was Grilli was out of options so he couldn't be sent down without clearing waivers. A player who is out of options and clears waivers, can elect to become a free agent rather than take the minor league assignment. So it would have done the Marlins no good to take him back unless they planned on keeping him on the 40-man.

Grilli agreed to accept his minor league assignment with the Sox. He would not have with the Marlins.

benjamin
11-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Santana had not made it to double A prior to his being picked in the Rule V draft.

And he clearly didn't show much sustained success during his minor league career prior to being selected in the Rule V.

He pitched 160.1 innings for Single A Michigan of the Midwest League in 27 games (26 starts) in 1999. He was 8-8 with a 4.66 ERA that year. He then had a 6.49 ERA for the Twins in 2000 (86.0 IP).

Santana's career ERA as a minor leaguer is 4.56 (382.2 IP), and that includes 48.2 IP with a 3.14 ERA at Triple A in 2002, two years after he was taken in the Rule V.

Sisco is also currently 21 years old and had a 4.21 ERA in 126.0 IP for Single A Daytona. His career ERA in the minors is 3.71.

While it's quite clear that projecting greatness for Sisco based on his minor league numbers would seem to be a long shot, one could easily have said the same thing for Santana in 2000 when he was making the jump from mediocre Single A pitcher to the Majors.

Don't be too quick to write people off. The Rule V draft is one of those times that you really do have to let your scouts go find the diamonds in the rough, because the young guys with the truly attractive stats aren't normally available.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?Name=FBC

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?Name=HAEA