PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I am desperate for help

haas42
11-24-2004, 06:06 PM
I am in some need of real help. I have been told by my dad and grandpa that my great-grandpa William Harmon played for the sox around 1900 give or take a few years. My grandpa is 85 years old and can't remember years and dates so he is unsure of when. I have been doing some research and can't find him anywhere. Can anyone help me out? I really want some info and a picture. Thanks

MRKARNO
11-24-2004, 06:11 PM
If he's not on baseball reference (he's not, at least how you spell it), it's doubtful that he ever played in the major leagues. They have just about every other player that ever played in major league history and a boatload of stats.

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2004, 06:34 PM
There was a Bill Hallman that played for the White Sox in 1903. Also played for the Pirates in 1906-7. Born in Philadelphia in 1876.

I also found a Bill Hanlon who played for the Cubs in 1903. Born in Los Angeles in 1876.

I also found a Bill Harman, but he started playing in 1941. That's it.

hose
11-24-2004, 06:41 PM
I am in some need of real help. I have been told by my dad and grandpa that my great-grandpa William Harmon played for the sox around 1900 give or take a few years. My grandpa is 85 years old and can't remember years and dates so he is unsure of when. I have been doing some research and can't find him anywhere. Can anyone help me out? I really want some info and a picture. Thanks
Nobody named Harmon has ever appeared in one or more games for the White Sox from 1901 to the present.

Check to see if your Great Grandfather played for one of White Sox minor
league teams or with Comiskey in the old Western League.

Another possibility is to check into the Cubs history since they were also called the White Stockings.

A old timer I use to work with told me his father played in exhibition games at the old West Side Park. His father never played in the big leagues , but he did pitch against Sox players.

Foulke You
11-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Another thing you can check is the team that Charles Comiskey purchased in the late 1800s which eventually became the White Sox. They were from St. Paul. I believe they were the St Paul Saints.

Foulke You
11-24-2004, 06:52 PM
If he's not on baseball reference (he's not, at least how you spell it), it's doubtful that he ever played in the major leagues. They have just about every other player that ever played in major league history and a boatload of stats.
Not necessarily. You have to remember that strict record keeping around the turn of the century was not always common. It is entirely possible that if he played for the White Sox around 1900 for only a short stint, there may not be a record of it.

Haas42, a person you could try contacting is the author of the White Sox Encyclopedia, Richard Lindberg. His website is here:

http://www.richardlindberg.net/

Good luck with your search.

misty60481
11-24-2004, 06:55 PM
A Bill Harman played with Phil. Phillies in 1941--apparently he pitched in 5 games ( 0 - 0 record ) and caught in 5 games--14 ABs 1 hit only other are Chuck 54-57, Bob 09-18, Terry 67-77

Fredsox
11-24-2004, 07:44 PM
This is a link to MLB's all-time roster for the Sox. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/history/players.jsp

There is no William Harmon listed but as a previous poster mentioned Bill Hallman played the outfield in 1903.

Good luck with your search.

TornLabrum
11-25-2004, 01:10 AM
Not necessarily. You have to remember that strict record keeping around the turn of the century was not always common. It is entirely possible that if he played for the White Sox around 1900 for only a short stint, there may not be a record of it.
Not exactly true. Every player who ever got into an official major league game (including the old National Association) is known at the very least through box scores. What may not be listed is anyone who sat on the bench but never got into a game or who might have played in spring training or in an exhibition game.

Also please note that there was no such thing as a "farm system" at the time in question, so there is no way that this could be the case.

haas42
11-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Ok I found out more info. He was referred to as Curly Harmon, was a catcher, and his pitcher is believed to be Bill Jankey(may be spelled wrong). Does this help??

voodoochile
11-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Ok I found out more info. He was referred to as Curly Harmon, was a catcher, and his pitcher is believed to be Bill Jankey(may be spelled wrong). Does this help??
I have no information, but a different way of thinking about things. Several posters have found that guy Hallman whose first name is a match from the early 1900's.

As a hard of hearing person, I can vouch for how easy it is to mix up the "L-sound" and "R-sound". If someone has an accent, it can get even worse. Also back at the turn of the century and before, literacy was very low. Sometime in the 1800's a "U" got dropped from our familie's last name by a census taker who was guessing how to spell the name they heard said.

Just a thought that the spelling and/or pronounciation may have cause a glitch in the records. Heck, it still happens today - remember for the first decade of his career, Hakeen Olajuwon from the NBA was referred to as Akeem because they goofed his paperwork because of his accent.

Something to consider anyway...

StillMissOzzie
11-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Sometime in the 1800's a "U" got dropped from our familie's last name by a census taker who was guessing how to spell the name they heard said.

Used to be "voodou"?

SMO
:D:

TornLabrum
11-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Used to be "voodou"?

SMO
:D:No, silly. It was Chileu.

Purdue129
11-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Just a thought that the spelling and/or pronounciation may have cause a glitch in the records. Heck, it still happens today - remember for the first decade of his career, Hakeen Olajuwon from the NBA was referred to as Akeem because they goofed his paperwork because of his accent.
Don't mean to sound like an ass, but that's not true. Olajuwon actually added the 'H' because of his Muslim beliefs.

voodoochile
11-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Don't mean to sound like an ass, but that's not true. Olajuwon actually added the 'H' because of his Muslim beliefs.
Well, there you go. No need to mitigate your statement. If that is the truth, so be it. I remember interviews with him around the time it happened where I thought I recalled him saying that it was a mistake when he first came over and explaining that he decided to make it known when he became famous enough, but I've been wrong before and I was working strictly off of memory.

Ol' No. 2
11-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Ok I found out more info. He was referred to as Curly Harmon, was a catcher, and his pitcher is believed to be Bill Jankey(may be spelled wrong). Does this help??I could find only three players named "Harmon" in my database:

Bob Harmon (b. 1887): played 1909-18 for Cardinals and Pirates
Chuck Harmon (b. 1924): played 1954-57 for Reds, Cardinals and Phillies
Terry Harmon (b. 1944): played 1967-77 for Phillies

Also the previously mentioned Bill Harman (b. 1919) played 1941 for Phillies

There are no others with that last name.