PDA

View Full Version : Sox first FA 2004

Soxfest
11-24-2004, 12:22 PM
The White Sox signed a free agent pitcher -- 28-year-old left-hander Kevin Walker -- out of the San Francisco Giants organization.

Walker (6-4, 190) played most of last season with Triple-A Fresno. He was 1-3 there with a 4.26 earned run average and one save in 48 appearances (one start). He also went 0-0 with a 16.20 ERA in five relief appearances with the Giants.

Kw thanks for the great Holiday present.:rolleyes:

Mickster
11-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Ehhh... He's a grinder. :cool:

EvilJester99
11-24-2004, 12:30 PM
WS....here we come....:rolleyes:

ja1022
11-24-2004, 12:31 PM
He also went 0-0 with a 16.20 ERA in five relief appearances with the Giants.

Obviously aquired to fill the void left by the departure of Mike Jackson.

FightingBillini
11-24-2004, 12:36 PM
I dont know if he could fill that void. I mean, do you think he will be able to give up a first pitch grandslam everytime the bases are loaded?

Mickster
11-24-2004, 12:38 PM
I dont know if he could fill that void. I mean, do you think he will be able to give up a first pitch grandslam everytime the bases are loaded?
I could. :D:

Mickster
11-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Here is the LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesox-walker&prov=ap&type=lgns) to the AP article. $525K 1 year deal with only $100K guaranteed.

11-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey I think he is a Boras Client!!!

ja1022
11-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Touche'!!!

tebman
11-24-2004, 01:07 PM
The White Sox signed a free agent pitcher -- 28-year-old left-hander Kevin Walker -- out of the San Francisco Giants organization.

Walker (6-4, 190) played most of last season with Triple-A Fresno. He was 1-3 there with a 4.26 earned run average and one save in 48 appearances (one start). He also went 0-0 with a 16.20 ERA in five relief appearances with the Giants.

Aw, man! There goes our shot at RJ!

- tebman

johnny_mostil
11-24-2004, 01:15 PM
He's lefthanded, so it would be Darensbourg.

Tavarin
11-24-2004, 01:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesox-walker&prov=ap&type=lgns

White Sox agree to contract with Walker

November 24, 2004

CHICAGO (AP) -- Left-handed reliever Kevin Walker agreed Wednesday to a $525,000, one-year contract with the Chicago White Sox.

Walker, who spent most of last season with the Giants' Triple-A club at Fresno, Calif., would earn bonuses of $25,000 each for pitching in 65 and 70 games. Chicago guaranteed $100,000 of his base salary.

Walker, 28, was 1-3 with a 4.26 ERA and one save in 48 appearances, including one start, with Fresno.

He was claimed by San Francisco off waivers from San Diego on March 31. He was 0-0 with a 16.20 ERA in five relief appearances with the Giants.

Walker has made 113 major league appearances over five seasons, going 7-2 with a 4.45 ERA.

Not a big move, but he could prove useful

FightingBillini
11-24-2004, 01:41 PM

Not a big move, but he could prove useful
It could also prove useful if you read other threads to realize somebody posted this an hour ago.

Tavarin
11-24-2004, 01:43 PM
It could also prove useful if you read other threads to realize somebody posted this an hour ago.

Whoops, missed that one

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2004, 01:46 PM

Not a big move, but he could prove usefulUseful for what? Batting practice? I'm not a big KW basher, but one thing that consistently drives me CRAZY is that every flippin' year he fills the bullpen with big stinking piles of castoffs, retreads, has-been's and never-were's. This guy is a garbage-time pitcher and nothing more.

Flight #24
11-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Useful for what? Batting practice? I'm not a big KW basher, but one thing that consistently drives me CRAZY is that every flippin' year he fills the bullpen with big stinking piles of castoffs, retreads, has-been's and never-were's. This guy is a garbage-time pitcher and nothing more.
For $100k, what do you really have to lose? The guy was once considered a hot prospect as a LH reliever, I'd take a couple of fliers like this to see if I can pull that potential into performance.

Mickster
11-24-2004, 01:55 PM
For $100k, what do you really have to lose? The guy was once considered a hot prospect as a LH reliever, I'd take a couple of fliers like this to see if I can pull that potential into performance.
This is my belief as well. The reason that we only gave him a $100K guarantee is that if he sucks it up in ST, we can give him his walking papers cheaply...

nodiggity59
11-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Useful for what? Batting practice? I'm not a big KW basher, but one thing that consistently drives me CRAZY is that every flippin' year he fills the bullpen with big stinking piles of castoffs, retreads, has-been's and never-were's. This guy is a garbage-time pitcher and nothing more.
I agree with you, but you almost CAN'T argue against this move. In fact, you almost can't argue against anything that only costs $100,000.

The real complaint is with the lack of other moves for established players.

JKryl
11-24-2004, 02:06 PM

Ouch

mweflen
11-24-2004, 02:12 PM
This goes a long way towards justifying the 15%+ across the board price hikes.

Obviously this is just the first step in the grand plan which lands us Carl Pavano and Carlos Beltran.

Have faith!

PS - no one could possibly fill the flaming hole Mike Jackson has earned in White Sox hell. No one. I was personally present for two of those first pitch salamis. I hope he rots.

MisterB
11-24-2004, 02:16 PM
The real complaint is with the lack of other moves for established players.Yeah, there's so little time left before the season starts. All the good players have been snapped up already. The winter meetings aren't even for another 2+ weeks. Calm down.

To paraphrase
:hizzoner
"Complain early and often."

bennyw41
11-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Is this the line for Playoff Tickets?

mweflen
11-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Is this the line for Playoff Tickets?
Yeah, and could you tell we're pretty ticked off after waiting in line for 4 years? :smile:

CubKilla
11-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Last year's Dransfeldt signing trumped this one.

Is that possible?

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-24-2004, 02:48 PM

Is that possible? I was thinking that as well! Dransfeldt is an Illinois native so it was icing on the cake!

anewman35
11-24-2004, 03:01 PM

You're right. The team just shouldn't sign any players that aren't big name signings. It's not like we actually have to fill our rosters or anything.

OurBitchinMinny
11-24-2004, 03:03 PM

So where will the parade start and end at?

Foulke You
11-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Man, the attitude from some of the people on this board never ceases to amaze. God forbid...he posted it twice! We should execute him right now for not noticing!

CubKilla
11-24-2004, 03:08 PM
You're right. The team just shouldn't sign any players that aren't big name signings. It's not like we actually have to fill our rosters or anything.
I'm looking for the signings to justify the ticket price increase.

Hangar18
11-24-2004, 03:23 PM
The real complaint is with the lack of other moves for established players.
I agree wholeheartedly. I also like Ole No. 2's "Has-Beens" and "Never-Weres"
reference heh heh. I clicked on this link THISFAST, I thought the SOX
surprised everyone by signing TODD WALKER ...... *sighs*

Foulke You
11-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Well, I don't expect this Walker to be the next coming of Eric Gagne. However, my hope is that perhaps KW has discovered another solid pitcher a la Damaso Marte from the trash heap. There weren't too many excited when we picked him up or Juan Uribe for that matter and both turned out to be solid pickups.

That being said, I've made the call to Grandstand for my authentic Kevin Walker Home Pinstripes jersey. I just need to find out what number he is going to wear.:D:

Brian26
11-24-2004, 04:00 PM
I clicked on this link THISFAST, I thought the SOX
surprised everyone by signing TODD WALKER ...... *sighs*

I did the same thing! I saw Walker and immediately thought it was Todd. Damn (IMHO).

FightingBillini
11-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Man, the attitude from some of the people on this board never ceases to amaze. God forbid...he posted it twice! We should execute him right now for not noticing!
Alright, you bring the neuce.:tongue:

Nick@Nite
11-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Whoops, missed that one
Don't worry... happens all the time.:wink: :cool:

A. Cavatica
11-24-2004, 09:08 PM
I did the same thing! I saw Walker and immediately thought it was Todd. Damn (IMHO).
Think Kenny knows?

WinningUgly!
11-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Well, I don't expect this Walker to be the next coming of Eric Gagne. However, my hope is that perhaps KW has discovered another solid pitcher a la Damaso Marte from the trash heap. There weren't too many excited when we picked him up or Juan Uribe for that matter and both turned out to be solid pickups.
A few reactions after the Uribe for Miles deal...

Congratulations Kenny - this is an awful trade. I can't figure out why the heck the Sox would want Uribe. This guy puts the Judy in Punch and Judy Hitter. Is this what KW means by "grinder"? I must say, this trade makes absolutely zero sense. Seriously, what does he have to offer? Sox baseball will be dead in Chicago except for the diehards after '04 because of moves like this. Uribe didn't even get his name spelled right, in his 1st WSI thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26969&page=1&pp=15):(:

And following the Marte/Yan for Guerrier deal...

This one seems the worst yet. Can anyone explain the logic? He must be listening to Hawk...............
WHY THE **** WOULD HE DO THIS!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Lefty or not, The Pirates are making KW their bitch now. :angry: Gurrier would have been nice to have out of the pen. Okay, I see no reason at all for this trade. I think KW has just officially stepped into the Hawk Harrelson realm of GM's. If anyone can give me a compelling reason why KW traded for this guy, I'm all ears. Besides the fact that he's a lefty. I'm sure he'll tell us "Our scouts think we can correct a flaw in his motion" or some bs like that. I don't think Marte is tremendously better than Onan Masaoka or Ken Vining. This is the first of the panic moves that I talked about a week ago, and hoped that KW would avoid. Marte's name didn't even make it in the title of his thread. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8740&page=1&pp=15):?:

Whitesox029
11-24-2004, 10:09 PM

Kw thanks for the great Holiday present.:rolleyes:You'd better watch out now, Minnesota.

MRKARNO
11-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Oh man, those Marte comments are priceless. That was one of KW's best trades in hindsight and people were calling for his head at the time of the deal. Priceless. Where would be be without Marte? Probably not as good as we've been (even though we havent made the playoffs).

Is there anything about Walker that could be a positive? Any good pitches? Does anyone really know anything about him?

SABRSox
11-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Here's his stats from AAA Fresno last season:

W L SV ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO
1 3 1 4.26 69.2 79 33 33 8 35 63

8.2 K/9
4.6 BB/9
1.0 HR/9

If he has similar ratios in the majors next season (if he gets there), that is comparable to this Sox player's 2004 stats:

8.3 K/9
4.2 BB/9
1.2 HR/9

a) Damaso Marte

MRKARNO
11-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Sounds like he could be a solid reliever if he can settle down....or he'll be a dud. Not everyone can turn the corner like Marte, though we certainly hope that Walker will be.

benjamin
11-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Yeah, like 35-year-old relievers from Japan.

johnny_mostil
11-25-2004, 09:46 AM

8.2 K/9
4.6 BB/9
1.0 HR/9

Those are Pacific Coast League numbers. The PCL isn't quite the hitter haven it once was, after adding all those cornfield cities when the AA died, but a 4.26 ERA in the PCL is still indicative of... well, average potential. :(:

Flight #24
11-25-2004, 10:43 AM

8.2 K/9
4.6 BB/9
1.0 HR/9

If he has similar ratios in the majors next season (if he gets there), that is comparable to this Sox player's 2004 stats:

8.3 K/9
4.2 BB/9
1.2 HR/9

a) Damaso Marte
Exactly why KW is risking all of $100k on this. If he comes through, great. If not, no big loss. IMO this is a no-lose scenario, so why there would be any negativity around this at all just makes me go :?: .

I read somewhere that this guy was once considered a hot prospect as a potential shutdown lefty reliever. Again - low risk/high reward. Why not?

MRKARNO
11-25-2004, 10:47 AM
IMO this is a no-lose scenario, so why there would be any negativity around this at all just makes me go :?: .

It's because people around here would rather see that money spent on changing the seats green.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Exactly why KW is risking all of $100k on this. If he comes through, great. If not, no big loss. IMO this is a no-lose scenario, so why there would be any negativity around this at all just makes me go :?: .

I read somewhere that this guy was once considered a hot prospect as a potential shutdown lefty reliever. Again - low risk/high reward. Why not?I'm not a big KW fan but I see nothing wrong with this. Hopefully he will pan out. I didn't think Takatsu wouldn't work out but was ok with the flier and it turned out awesome. I thought Uribe would be good, but not as good as he was.

KW gets many bargins right. Its the big ones I get nervous about.

Lip Man 1
11-25-2004, 12:38 PM
For a hundred grand what did he have to lose? Little risk potential good rewards. My only point is that this bullpen needs more, a LOT more to be consistent.

Lip

duke of dorwood
11-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey, give KW credit, he had to move hard and fast to get this one

Lip Man 1
11-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Duke:

LOL :wink:

Lip