PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Trade Going Down This Weekend?

Brian26
11-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Lots of rumors flying on the west coast right now. Saw this on two other sites that I visit daily...

The firstbase dominos could begin falling fairly quickly. If Delgado indeed signs with the Mariners, then there is a chance Richie Sexson gets moved to the Orioles, and the White Sox end up sending Konerko to Arizona in a package for RJ.

The other rumor involves Sexson staying in Arizona and the Sox sending PK to the Dodgers. I'm not sure how Shawn Green helps our pitching or defense, but he certainly fills the gap in rightfield. It would open up firstbase for Ross Gload, and it might take Joe Borchard off our hands and to LA.

Palehose13
11-24-2004, 12:15 PM
A possible chance to unload Borchard?

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

johnny_mostil
11-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Lots of rumors flying on the west coast right now. Saw this on two other sites that I visit daily...

The other rumor involves Sexson staying in Arizona and the Sox sending PK to the Dodgers. I'm not sure how Shawn Green helps our pitching or defense, but he certainly fills the gap in rightfield. It would open up firstbase for Ross Gload, and it might take Joe Borchard off our hands and to LA.
Green? Somebody's on acid. He makes sixteen million, he's a lot closer to a Moneyball player (DePodesta likes them) than Konerko. Stick him in USCF and he hits .300 with 40 homers and walks 90 times. He's from Des Plaines, not Caracas. I'll believe it when I see it...

Silly Maggs
11-24-2004, 12:21 PM
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
(What I'll be doing if we dump Borchard) :redneck

Palehose13
11-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Green? Somebody's on acid. He makes sixteen million, he's a lot closer to a Moneyball player (DePodesta likes them) than Konerko. Stick him in USCF and he hits .300 with 40 homers and walks 90 times. He's from Des Plaines, not Caracas. I'll believe it when I see it...
You say this like it's a bad thing??? :?:

Flight #24
11-24-2004, 12:28 PM
I'd bet DePodesta's willing to take the downgrade from Green to Konerko (and given their recent injury histories, I don't know that there realy is a significant one) to get the $8mil in relief. The Sox would have to get some prospects in this one due to the salaries.

But I'd love Green in RF. Green & Koney can put up similar #s, but we have a hole in RF and a capable backup at 1B so this deal is a poisitive IMO.

It would however, probably put an end to any potential FA pitchng that doesn't come pretty cheap. And I'd rate that as a higher need.

southsider17
11-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah, what he said!

Plus Borchard is the anti-moneyball player.

Also, what then of the money needed to sign a top pitcher?

:kukoo:

Mickster
11-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Brian,

What are the boards that you got this info from?

johnny_mostil
11-24-2004, 12:34 PM
You say this like it's a bad thing??? :?:
Absolutely not. This move would kick patootie. That's why I don't believe it.

johnny_mostil
11-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah, what he said!

Plus Borchard is the anti-moneyball player.

Also, what then of the money needed to sign a top pitcher?

:kukoo:
JR's spending his fee as the secret boss on Fox's Big Fat Obnoxious Boss on Clement.

Win1ForMe
11-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Ozzie's already given Shawn Green the day off for when we need him in the penant race in September.

Seriously, Shawn Green sucks, and I can't imagine the Sox doing Green for Konerko straight up without getting something else in return. Even then, I wouldn't like the trade. There's a reason Green was mentioned in the Sosa rumors.

Palehose13
11-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Absolutely not. This move would kick patootie. That's why I don't believe it.
LOL...ok. :D:

Mickster
11-24-2004, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if some kind of move happens this weekend. We have heard very little Sox news over the past week and KW is very quiet right before big moves.

Lip Man 1
11-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Just FYI Green is a free agent next year so the 16 million would only be obligated for the 2005 year.Lip

johnny_mostil
11-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Seriously, Shawn Green sucks, and I can't imagine the Sox doing Green for Konerko straight up without getting something else in return.
Sucks. Let's see:

Hits for average: check.
Hits for power: check.
Runs well: check
Isn't allergic to walks: check
Can play defense: check

The only thing about Green than sucks is the black hole in his bank account that consumes incredible amounts of money. He's put up Carlos Lee's numbers while playing in Dodger Stadium. "Sucks" is way too strong. "Is pretty expensive" isn't.

Brian26
11-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Brian,

What are the boards that you got this info from?

You expect me to divulge my top secret sources? :D:

Hangar18
11-24-2004, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Flight #24]I'd bet DePodesta's willing to take the downgrade from Green to Konerko (and given their recent injury histories, I don't know that there realy is a significant one) to get the $8mil in relief. The Sox would have to get some prospects in this one due to the salaries.
QUOTE]

The Dodgers are the nimrods who gave away Karras and Grudzielanek to the
cubs for non-catcher Todd Hundley. We dont have to throw ANYTHING in there. Knowing Kenny, he will give them extra.

Hangar18
11-24-2004, 02:24 PM
On a side note, why is it that when im using a Quote from another poster
here, it DOESNT show up in GRAY on my posts?

Mickster
11-24-2004, 02:26 PM
On a side note, why is it that when im using a Quote from another poster
here, it DOESNT show up in GRAY on my posts?
Because you are deleting the [/ before the last [/ QUOTE]

johnny_mostil
11-24-2004, 02:29 PM
The Dodgers are the nimrods who gave away Karras and Grudzielanek to the
cubs for non-catcher Todd Hundley. We dont have to throw ANYTHING in there. Knowing Kenny, he will give them extra.
They have fired the nimrods who did that and replaced them with new nimrods.

CubKilla
11-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Ozzie's already given Shawn Green the day off for when we need him in the penant race in September.
That's exactly why I want no part of Green so why the sarcasm? Jewish holidays usually fall during the months of September and October.

No thank you to Green. Unless, of course, PK decides he's going to need Good Friday-Easter Sunday off to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus :rolleyes: .

Iwritecode
11-24-2004, 03:06 PM

I'm sorry but you just have no credibility with me until you name your sources. Please don't post here agian until you can do so properly.

:tongue:

Foulke You
11-24-2004, 04:07 PM

The firstbase dominos could begin falling fairly quickly. If Delgado indeed signs with the Mariners, then there is a chance Richie Sexson gets moved to the Orioles, and the White Sox end up sending Konerko to Arizona in a package for RJ.

I'm hoping the first rumor is true. Let's see, Randy Johnson makes $16 million and Shawn Green makes $16 million. Both are in the last year of a contract. Give me the 6' 10" pitcher guy with the long hair who wins 20 games a year.

Jjav829
11-24-2004, 04:26 PM
It's the cbssportsline.com boards, isn't it? :cool:

MRKARNO
11-24-2004, 04:40 PM
That's exactly why I want no part of Green so why the sarcasm? Jewish holidays usually fall during the months of September and October.

No thank you to Green. Unless, of course, PK decides he's going to need Good Friday-Easter Sunday off to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus :rolleyes: . I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't mean to offend with this comment, but I have to say that as a Jew I find your comment to have at least some anti-semitic connotations. I think you should do some research on Yom Kippur and its significance in Judaism before you make such comments. I am proud that Green took at least part of Yom Kippur off this year. He didnt even take off the whole holiday because he didnt want to hurt his team as much as he possibly could have had he taken both games which fell during the holiday off.

BTW, the other high profile Jew who took off Yom Kippur at an important time: Sandy Koufax. He missed game one of the 1965 World series, came back to pitch game 2, but lost it. He then shut out the Twins in both games 5 and 7 to help the Dodgers win the World Series.

I dont mean to inflame, but I felt compelled to respond.

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't mean to offend with this comment, but I have to say that as a Jew I find your comment to have at least some anti-semitic connotations. I think you should do some research on Yom Kippur and its significance in Judaism before you make such comments. I am proud that Green took at least part of Yom Kippur off this year. He didnt even take off the whole holiday because he didnt want to hurt his team as much as he possibly could have had he taken both games which fell during the holiday off.

BTW, the other high profile Jew who took off Yom Kippur at an important time: Sandy Koufax. He missed game one of the 1965 World series, came back to pitch game 2, but lost it. He then shut out the Twins in both games 5 and 7 to help the Dodgers win the World Series.

I dont mean to inflame, but I felt compelled to respond.Better to have a guy who takes off a holiday once in a while than to have guys who take whole months off for no apparent reason. Shawn Green? Where do I sign?

Jabroni
11-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Sucks. Let's see:

Hits for average: check.
Hits for power: check.
Runs well: check
Isn't allergic to walks: check
Can play defense: check

The only thing about Green than sucks is the black hole in his bank account that consumes incredible amounts of money. He's put up Carlos Lee's numbers while playing in Dodger Stadium. "Sucks" is way too strong. "Is pretty expensive" isn't.Well, let's compare what Konerko and Green did last season...

Paul Konerko (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=117244)
.277 AVG
.359 OPB
41 HR
117 RBI
1 SB
69 BB
107 SO

Shawn Green (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=115094)
.266 AVG
.352 OBP
28 HR
86 RBI
5 SB
71 BB
114 SO

The only thing Green does better than Konerko is play defense. Green can play 1B and RF. Otherwise, Paulie is a better hitter than Green. Neither of them steal bases and they both walk and strikeout at about the same ratio. Green's best days are behind him and his career stats (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=115094&statType=1) show that he has been declining since 2001. Why the hell would we trade a guy who is making $8 million and is the better hitter for a guy who is making $16 million? Both will be free agents after next season so there is definately no advantage to having Green. The only positive that Green would bring in such a trade is his ability to play RF. Konerko is a better hitter than Green.

dcb33
11-24-2004, 08:24 PM
(What I'll be doing if we dump Borchard) :redneck
(What I'll be doing if we keep Borchard):redneck

California Sox
11-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Well, let's compare what Konerko and Green did last season...

.277 AVG
.359 OPB
41 HR
117 RBI
1 SB
69 BB
107 SO

.266 AVG
.352 OBP
28 HR
86 RBI
5 SB
71 BB
114 SO

The only thing Green does better than Konerko is play defense.
Hold on there a minute. Konerko plays in the Cell, Green plays in the worst hitters park in baseball. If you compare their road numbers, Konerko (.239 12 47 .708 OPS) and Green (.253 12 41 .797 OPS) are pretty even with Green's advantages being he hits lefthanded, plays rightfield, and has had better numbers in the past. That being said, there's no way he's worth 16 million a year for that kind of production.

RKMeibalane
11-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Hold on there a minute. Konerko plays in the Cell, Green plays in the worst hitters park in baseball. If you compare their road numbers, Konerko (.239 12 47 .708 OPS) and Green (.253 12 41 .797 OPS) are pretty even with Green's advantages being he hits lefthanded, plays rightfield, and has had better numbers in the past. That being said, there's no way he's worth 16 million a year for that kind of production.
Green isn't worth what the Dodgers are paying him, but his contract runs out following next season. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox trade for him, because if they decide to resign him after 2005, it will be for significantly less money, which would enable to them to make a run at other players during the next offseason. That may not be what most fans are hoping for, but the more I think about what's going to happen this winter, the more I see the Sox sitting on the sidelines while other teams make moves. Reinsdorf just isn't willing to fork over the kind of money needed to sign free-agents, so if the Sox are going to do anything to change the complexion of their roster, it will be through trades.

batmanZoSo
11-24-2004, 11:02 PM

Shawn Green only helps our salary problem. We also have three, nay, FOUR outfielders as it is if you count Borchard, who, if I know KW, will not be moved even if we get Green. So then we'd have Lee, Rowand, Green, Everett and Borchard.

I'm not even gonna bother figuring this team out. Just get ready for position problems this year.

FightingBillini
11-25-2004, 12:53 AM
Green isn't worth what the Dodgers are paying him, but his contract runs out following next season. I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox trade for him, because if they decide to resign him after 2005, it will be for significantly less money, which would enable to them to make a run at other players during the next offseason. That may not be what most fans are hoping for, but the more I think about what's going to happen this winter, the more I see the Sox sitting on the sidelines while other teams make moves. Reinsdorf just isn't willing to fork over the kind of money needed to sign free-agents, so if the Sox are going to do anything to change the complexion of their roster, it will be through trades.
I want moves too, but are you saying we should make a move for moves sake? Trading Konerko for Green is AT BEST a lateral move. Why make a lateral move where you take on more salary? If they trade Konerko, the payroll is gonna drop unless our new ace pitcher wears #51 and a mullet.

Rocklive99
11-25-2004, 01:04 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-athletics-pirateskendalltrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jason Kendall to the A's for Redman and Arthur Rhodes expected to happen soon too

gosox41
11-25-2004, 09:22 AM

.277 AVG
.359 OPB
41 HR
117 RBI
1 SB
69 BB
107 SO

.266 AVG
.352 OBP
28 HR
86 RBI
5 SB
71 BB
114 SO

The only thing Green does better than Konerko is play defense. Green can play 1B and RF. Otherwise, Paulie is a better hitter than Green. Neither of them steal bases and they both walk and strikeout at about the same ratio. Green's best days are behind him and his career stats (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=115094&statType=1) show that he has been declining since 2001. Why the hell would we trade a guy who is making $8 million and is the better hitter for a guy who is making $16 million? Both will be free agents after next season so there is definately no advantage to having Green. The only positive that Green would bring in such a trade is his ability to play RF. Konerko is a better hitter than Green.
While I don't think Green is worth all that money, one thing to consider is looking at PK's Home vs Road stats for 2004.

IF this trade occurred, I'd expect PK's numbers to decline and Green's to improve as he'd be moving into a hitters ballpark.

But Shawn Green definitely isn't worth $16 mill. per. I don't know why the Sox would make this trade unless they have plans to move him and are using Green as leverage to get Sosa.

Bob

Flight #24
11-25-2004, 10:35 AM
While I don't think Green is worth all that money, one thing to consider is looking at PK's Home vs Road stats for 2004.

IF this trade occurred, I'd expect PK's numbers to decline and Green's to improve as he'd be moving into a hitters ballpark.

But Shawn Green definitely isn't worth $16 mill. per. I don't know why the Sox would make this trade unless they have plans to move him and are using Green as leverage to get Sosa.

BobI can see it based on the following: KW has some additional budget (by rumors:5-10mil), but a couple of holes to fill. Early FA signings indicate things are shifting upwards, making formerly reasonably priced guys somewhat expensive (example: Jon Lieber rumored to be finalized a 2-yr / $12mil deal, likely bumping guys like Clement/Ortiz to 7-8mil/yr and coincidentally making Garcia's resigning look more & more like a great deal for the Sox). Thus KW's now looking at either using most of his budget on 1 mediocre player and taking on a long-term deal at that.

Instead, he can spend $7mil(the difference between Paulie's $8.75 & Green's $16) on what I think is an upgrade both defensively and from an OBP standpoint as well as providing more balance to the O. He basically gets to swap Koney+Everett/Borchard for Green/Gload and gets to have Dino available as a DH backup early if Frank's not 100% in April. The O is then set and he can likely get some cheap/young pitching thrown in on the LA side due to the difference in salaries. So for his 6mil, he can fill multiple holes and then use the remaining budget (whatever it is) to fill the remaining pitching holes or possibly get cheaper upgrades in the IF.

Not sure if it'll happen, but I think that would be the rationale based on the rumored payroll budget and the early signs from FA.

johnny_mostil
11-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Early FA signings indicate things are shifting upwards, making formerly reasonably priced guys somewhat expensive (example: Jon Lieber rumored to be finalized a 2-yr / $12mil deal, likely bumping guys like Clement/Ortiz to 7-8mil/yr and coincidentally making Garcia's resigning look more & more like a great deal for the Sox).
The words I would use are "things have gone stark raving mad". Cristian Guzman's contract is the Claudell Washington/Ted Turner catastrophe of 2004. It will be used as a benchmark to extract hideous salaries for virtually every other shortstop in baseball because any player agent could hire a seventh grade kid, give him a calculator and a copy of Baseball Prospectus, and build a believeable -- and practically unassailable -- case that almost anybody else is better, and therefore should make more money, than Cristian Guzman. Between the new Angels owner jump-shifting his competition last year and the general moronager in Washington tossing some really bad ballplayers Scrooge McDuck's vault, any contract for a contributing ballplayer at less than $10M now looks like a steal.

johnny_mostil
11-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Shawn Green only helps our salary problem. We also have three, nay, FOUR outfielders as it is if you count Borchard, who, if I know KW, will not be moved even if we get Green. So then we'd have Lee, Rowand, Green, Everett and Borchard.
And Alex Escobar and Brian Anderson. Escobar's hurt a lot but he's still a better prospect than LTP. And how can you forget the immortal Timo "NotTony" Perez?

Quite a few of those guys can play center, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

gosox41
11-25-2004, 12:15 PM
I can see it based on the following: KW has some additional budget (by rumors:5-10mil), but a couple of holes to fill. Early FA signings indicate things are shifting upwards, making formerly reasonably priced guys somewhat expensive (example: Jon Lieber rumored to be finalized a 2-yr / $12mil deal, likely bumping guys like Clement/Ortiz to 7-8mil/yr and coincidentally making Garcia's resigning look more & more like a great deal for the Sox). Thus KW's now looking at either using most of his budget on 1 mediocre player and taking on a long-term deal at that.

Instead, he can spend $7mil(the difference between Paulie's $8.75 & Green's $16) on what I think is an upgrade both defensively and from an OBP standpoint as well as providing more balance to the O. He basically gets to swap Koney+Everett/Borchard for Green/Gload and gets to have Dino available as a DH backup early if Frank's not 100% in April. The O is then set and he can likely get some cheap/young pitching thrown in on the LA side due to the difference in salaries. So for his 6mil, he can fill multiple holes and then use the remaining budget (whatever it is) to fill the remaining pitching holes or possibly get cheaper upgrades in the IF.

Not sure if it'll happen, but I think that would be the rationale based on the rumored payroll budget and the early signs from FA.
If the Sox can get some good young pitching that is close to being ready for the majors out of this deal, I'm all for it.

Hopefully KW is smart enough to get something more out of the Dodgers to make up the difference in salaries between Green and PK. If not, I wouldn't do the deal straight up.

On a different note, and maybe it's me, but I don't see how Clement and Morris can be worth more then Lieber. I have doubts about Ortiz. But if I were a GM, I'd look at Lieber and see a guy who came off major surgery and pitched well as time went on (including the playoffs.) I'd rather give a guy coming off major surgery who shows he can pitch well then a guy who experienced a big drop in veolicty in his fastball (Morris) or a guy who spent September hurt (Clement).

Why spend money on injuries if you don't know if they're going to be healthy. Clement had a neck strain, or so the Cubs say. But then again, wasn't there an issue of Cubs trainers misjudging the seriousness of injuries all season?

IMHO, Lieber is worth more money then Clement and Morris.

Bob

Flight #24
11-25-2004, 01:24 PM
If the Sox can get some good young pitching that is close to being ready for the majors out of this deal, I'm all for it.

Hopefully KW is smart enough to get something more out of the Dodgers to make up the difference in salaries between Green and PK. If not, I wouldn't do the deal straight up.

On a different note, and maybe it's me, but I don't see how Clement and Morris can be worth more then Lieber. I have doubts about Ortiz. But if I were a GM, I'd look at Lieber and see a guy who came off major surgery and pitched well as time went on (including the playoffs.) I'd rather give a guy coming off major surgery who shows he can pitch well then a guy who experienced a big drop in veolicty in his fastball (Morris) or a guy who spent September hurt (Clement).

Why spend money on injuries if you don't know if they're going to be healthy. Clement had a neck strain, or so the Cubs say. But then again, wasn't there an issue of Cubs trainers misjudging the seriousness of injuries all season?

IMHO, Lieber is worth more money then Clement and Morris.

Bob
A straight swap of Green for Konerko makes no sense due to the salary differential, that's for sure. The Sox would either have to get salary relief or prospects/players, and they'd have to be relatively cheap but productive (or close to the bigs).

As for Lieber, I'm just saying that younger guys with good seasons will generally be asking for as much or more than an older guy who's just come off of major surgery. They'll have all kinds of stats to show that they can improve further. And unless something changes in the market, they'll find someone to give them what they want. But I'd agree with you that Lieber at the same price is more of a given, but Clement is more of a higher risk/higher upside type of guy who could pitch like a #1 or a strong #2 (as he did early in the season). That potential will factor in.

beck72
11-25-2004, 01:50 PM
If a trade of PK for Green went down, a bullpen arm or two, and minor leaguers would be included. Duaner Sanchez and Yhency Brazoban were names out there from other possible trades. No way do the sox do a straight swap of two comparable talents, for an extra $8 mill.

Palehose13
11-25-2004, 03:41 PM

.277 AVG
.359 OPB
41 HR
117 RBI
1 SB
69 BB
107 SO

.266 AVG
.352 OBP
28 HR
86 RBI
5 SB
71 BB
114 SO

What about GIDP's?

Lip Man 1
11-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Johnny:

As PHG so correctly wrote in his WSI column (two weeks ago?) salaries have been going up across the board for the last fifteen years. Just something the Sox need to remember when trying to acquire talent.

Lip

wdelaney72
11-26-2004, 04:03 PM
I'll pass on Green. We need pitching.

SoxFanTillDeath
11-29-2004, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if some kind of move happens this weekend. We have heard very little Sox news over the past week and KW is very quiet right before big moves.

Quick note: KW is also very quiet before he does nothing too...