PDA

View Full Version : Can DJ Hire Stone?

John Barrett
11-24-2004, 10:56 AM
any thoughts on a move like this?

Flight #24
11-24-2004, 11:01 AM
I'd vote for Stone over DJ. Of course, my first response was "Why would DJ hire Stone?"
:)

Bobby Thigpen
11-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Uhhhhh... Neither.

soltrain21
11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
At first I thought you were talking about DJ himself hiring Stone, but now I understand.

I would love to have Stoney in the booth, but I really don't have any problem with DJ. The day he ate paper is one of the funniest moments ever during a telecast.

ja1022
11-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Stone and Hawk couldn't work together. Their egos are way too big. Stone is the best in the business, but DJ is ok. He's getting better. I liked Hawk and Wimpy.

John Barrett
11-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Hawk is getting old and his lack of chemistry with DJ is glaring. Also it would be a slap in the face to the cubs....

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2004, 12:03 PM
And have Hawk and Stone together? I'd pay money to watch that, even if there wasn't a game going on. But there isn't a booth in all of baseball big enough for both their heads.

Silly Maggs
11-24-2004, 12:18 PM
how about none of the above?

DirtySouthsider
11-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Ohhhh.....when you said " can DJ hire Stone" you meant "Fire DJ and hire Stone".......it took me a while to figure that out.......but anyway, I would take Stone in a heartbeat!

Hangar18
11-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Darrin Jackson Cant Hire Steve Stone. Unless its as a personal bodyguard
or something like that. Yes, I would LOVE to see Hawk Harrelson
doing Play-by-Play, and Stone doing Analysis. wow, would they be
awesome together, a perfect mix of Fire & Ice. DO this now, or
Get Bob Uecker and put him on the radio with John Rooney
before the cubs get him.

Giallo
11-24-2004, 12:31 PM
This would be a great move by the Sox. Stone has a huge following in town, and there have a been a lot of bad vibes on the Northside about the way last season ended and how Stone was forced out. I think he would draw viewers and spark interest in the Sox at a time when interest is at a low. It would be similar to Harrey Carey getting fired by the Sox and moving north, and I think it might have a similar effect on the team's status in town. I don't think the Sox will do this. Too bold a move, and Reinsdorf is way too loyal. Also Hawk and Stone in the booth would be...interesting.

Keep in mind though, that Stone did play on the Sox...after he left the Cubs.

mdep524
11-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Hiring Steve Stone would be a big move for this organization. He'd make a great color announcer (not that DJ is bad), and he'd make an even better front office or possibly dugout guy. The key is jut to get him in the organization. Personally I would hire him in an instant as "special adviser to the GM," with the possibility of a promotion to GM after a few seasons, depending on how things play out.

Soxzilla
11-24-2004, 12:58 PM
(not that DJ is bad)

Have you heard his play by play? It is hilariously bad ... but still. I enjoy hearing DJ and Hawk, I love when you can tell they are getting along and agree ... but I love it even more when you can tell they are mad at each other.
:cool:

FightingBillini
11-24-2004, 01:00 PM
JR said in an interview that he thought they had plenty announcers already. Stone said in an interview from his home in Arizona, "Chicago is a big town. There are plenty of opportunities for me" with a coy smile on his face. JR and Stone are buddies, and I think JR has him as the GM in waiting. Im not saying that it will be after this year or next year, but if KW doesnt make a winner in the next few years his job will be in jeopardy.
Say we put Stoney in the booth with Hawk, and then KW is fired after this year. Stone would become the GM, but we would have to find a new announcer becuase we already fired DJ. I think JR is thinking ahead on this. DJ may be a boob, but he is at least moderately entertaining. No sense getting rid of him for what may be a 1 or 2 year upgrade.

misty60481
11-24-2004, 06:42 PM
If you think Hawk & Stone have too big egos--what about Stone and KW-- fireworks

slavko
11-24-2004, 06:48 PM
JR is too loyal to do any of it, but...Rooney to TV where his inability to paint a word picture will be less noticable. Stone as the sidekick. No ego problem since Stone has it all. The current TV guys to radio. If one or the other balks, Farmer takes his place.

Whitesox029
11-24-2004, 10:15 PM
any thoughts on a move like this?You seem to have left off the critical option, "Do NOT hire Steve Stone, keep broadcasting teams as they are."

SoxFan76
11-24-2004, 10:45 PM
This thread gets the award for the most confusing title. I know what it means now, yet every time I look at the title, I still get confused.

MRKARNO
11-24-2004, 11:01 PM
This thread gets the award for the most confusing title. I know what it means now, yet every time I look at the title, I still get confused.
Totally agree. I couldnt understand why DJ would want to hire Stone if he could, which he can't.

Nellie_Fox
11-24-2004, 11:34 PM
And as for the second choice, yes, I suppose Hawk can leave DJ.

Rocklive99
11-25-2004, 01:05 AM
LOL I also read this as DJ being the one hiring Stone, I was like :?: what???:?:

SomebodyToldMe
11-25-2004, 01:34 AM
And as for the second choice, yes, I suppose Hawk can leave DJ.
Yoda must have typed that choice...

John Barrett
11-25-2004, 12:05 PM
man, take it easy.... I had a few pops in me...let it go Happy THANKSGIVING :gulp: :drunken: :anon: :whocares

gobears1987
11-26-2004, 12:55 AM
They both have huge egos and would not be able to work. We can't fire Hawk as he is the man. It isn't a White Sox homerun without "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YES!" so that means we keep them both. In that poll I would vote none of the above. Besides, without DJ comments about eating paper during a blow out I would fall asleep.

I also do like DJ to some degree as he has a connection to the team and a love for it as does Hawk. Stone doesn't have any good connection to the Sox and I could never stand him anyways. Besides only a person emotionally involved in the game like DJ could make amazing calls such as the "Game" call. Who will ever forget that one?

SoxFan76
11-26-2004, 01:03 AM
man, take it easy.... I had a few pops in me...let it go Happy THANKSGIVING :gulp: :drunken: :anon: :whocares
Lol, I've made some drunken WSI posts. Not a good idea. The next day I end up editing them because I just say dumb stuff.

hosieryofthegods
11-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Stone doesn't have any good connection to the Sox and I could never stand him anyways. Besides only a person emotionally involved in the game like DJ could make amazing calls such as the "Game" call. Who will ever forget that one?Do you mean a connection other than him playing for the Sox for 3 seasons?:?: That is more than DJ played for the Sox(2 years). DJ and Stone both played on the ScRubs during 3 seasons.

StillMissOzzie
11-27-2004, 12:40 AM
If I could make any choice, I'd put Farmer out to pasture and have Rooney and Stone on the radio. But then, we would all miss out on King Xerxes' great "Farmio" dissertations!

SMO
:gulp:

fogie
11-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Stone and Hawk for me

bc2k
11-29-2004, 12:59 AM
Hiring Steve Stone would be a big move for this organization. He'd make a great color announcer (not that DJ is bad), and he'd make an even better front office or possibly dugout guy. The key is jut to get him in the organization. Personally I would hire him in an instant as "special adviser to the GM," with the possibility of a promotion to GM after a few seasons, depending on how things play out. Steve Stone has wanted to be a GM since he was broadcasting with Harry Caray according to his book, "Where's Harry?". I think he would succeed as Sox GM, and support your idea mdep, "to just get him in the organization." Once he's in, the Sox will move him up the ladder. Though the Sox could just fire KW and hire Stone as GM tomorrow and that'd be fine with me.

Can KW hire Stone?

Ol Aches & Pains
11-29-2004, 07:21 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand Hawk or DJ. Steve Stone and anybody would be an improvement.

Nellie_Fox
11-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Listening to the nasal whining of Stone would drive me nuts.