PDA

View Full Version : How about Nick Johnson?

munchman33
11-23-2004, 11:16 PM
If we end up trading Konerko, how about trading for Nick Johnson as a possible replacement. ESPN rumor mill is reporting the Nationals are likely to make him available, as their recent trades are forcing them to move Brad Wilkerson to first base.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/rumorcentral?sport=mlb&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

compy75
11-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Solid young lefty guy, walks alot, but has some injury issues. The real question is what does Washington want? I mean we aren't exactly clad in talent right now as evidenced by our 5th spot.

oeo
11-23-2004, 11:35 PM
If we end up trading Konerko, how about trading for Nick Johnson as a possible replacement. ESPN rumor mill is reporting the Nationals are likely to make him available, as their recent trades are forcing them to move Brad Wilkerson to first base.

Is it just me or does the name Nationals really suck for a baseball team? I can't get over this terrible name.

ND_Sox_Fan
11-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Don't we already have a healthy version him? His name is Ross Gload.

SomebodyToldMe
11-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Is it just me or does the name Nationals really suck for a baseball team? I can't get over this terrible name.
It's not just you. Having a team called the Nationals in the National League sounds a bit on the sucky side.

Chrisaway
11-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Yeah their logo reminds me of an all star team logo.

munchman33
11-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Don't we already have a healthy version him? His name is Ross Gload.
Not really.

Nick Johnson = potential
Ross Gload = overachiever

hold2dibber
11-24-2004, 08:52 AM

I'd be thrilled to get Johnson if PK is dealt. If he stays healthy (a big if, I know), he has WAY more upsdie than Gload. Gload's best case scenario is probably something like .280/.350/.400 as an everyday player. I can see Johnson putting up a .300/.400/.500 season.

hold2dibber
11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
I kind of like it. Very old fashioned.

wdelaney72
11-24-2004, 08:53 AM
I disagree. I think Ross Gload will be just fine. He won't be an all star, but he will be a solid player.

Fortunately for Sox fans, I think we'll see this long running debate settled, becuase I think PK will get traded and we'll get to experience Ross Gload as a starter.

Time will tell.

Not really.

Nick Johnson = potential
Ross Gload = overachiever

Foulke You
11-24-2004, 04:22 PM
How can some people figure Nick Johnson has more potential? Because he was another overhyped Yankee prospect? That guy has had chances to show something and hasn't. Gload has never had the opportunity to play every day and when he has played, he has shown he is a solid hitter. Plus, Gload is healthy. I would say Ross Gload has more potential to shine than Nick Johnson.

batmanZoSo
11-24-2004, 11:58 PM

On one hand he would help our on-base, but on the other hand, he sucks because he's always injured.

GAsoxfan
11-25-2004, 02:31 AM
They named the team the Nationals b/c it is a generic/crappy name so fans won't become attached to it. Then when MLB sells the team, the new owner can change the name w/o a lot of fuss from the fans.

The Nationals is right up there with the Houston Texans for worst nickname. That's like saying the Buffalo New Yorkers, or the Atlanta Georgians. Horrible, horrible name.

FightingBillini
11-25-2004, 02:52 AM
They named the team the Nationals b/c it is a generic/crappy name so fans won't become attached to it. Then when MLB sells the team, the new owner can change the name w/o a lot of fuss from the fans.

The Nationals is right up there with the Houston Texans for worst nickname. That's like saying the Buffalo New Yorkers, or the Atlanta Georgians. Horrible, horrible name.
They said originally they were gonna let the new owners pick the name for the team. However, we know its all about money. MLB decided to name them now so they could get their shirts and hats out for the holiday rush. And since the team isnt sold yet, who will that money go to? Hmmm. MLB has a rule that teams can only change their logos and colors once every 5 years. That means the team will be called the Nationals at least until 2009. I was pushing hard for the Senators, but I still like Nationals. At least they didnt call them the Grays or Monuments.
As for the Texas, the name is alright, and I love the logo. I have two huge problems though. The original Texans were from Dallas, and now play in Arrowhead Stadium. Its one thing recycling an old franchise's name, but another if you are in a different city. Secondly, I WANTED THE OILERS BACK!! There is just something about powder blue and red. The oil derek logo. Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, the House of Pain. How could anyone not love the Oilers?

munchman33
11-25-2004, 09:45 AM
How can some people figure Nick Johnson has more potential? Because he was another overhyped Yankee prospect? That guy has had chances to show something and hasn't. Gload has never had the opportunity to play every day and when he has played, he has shown he is a solid hitter. Plus, Gload is healthy. I would say Ross Gload has more potential to shine than Nick Johnson.
No offense, but what are you smoking. Gload did well in a pinch hit/platoon role. Which is great. But so did Timo Perez. Look what happened when he became a starter.

As for Johnson, last year he was injured most of the season. But the year before he hit .284 with 14 homers and, most importantly, had an OBP of .422. Nick Johnson is a candadite for the 3-hole in a lot of lineups. Gload will never be that good.

johnny_mostil
11-25-2004, 11:10 AM

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/rumorcentral?sport=mlb&CMP=ILC-INHEADYes please. Schneider could keep him healthy. He would be a perfect addition because he walks a lot, can drive the ball, and he's a lefthanded hitter. Bowden is so stupid he can't tell the difference between a first baseman and a pitching machine, and one hopes KW takes advabtage of this while he can.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-25-2004, 01:28 PM
I WANTED THE OILERS BACK!! There is just something about powder blue and red. The oil derek logo. Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, the House of Pain. How could anyone not love the Oilers?
Being a lifetime Pittsburgh Steeler fan, I too loved the Houston Oilers. Mainly because they could never beat the Steelers in the playoffs :)

sox7235
11-26-2004, 04:59 AM
I would take Nick Johnson any day when he is healthy.

jabrch
11-26-2004, 10:22 AM
I would take Nick Johnson any day when he is healthy.

That has yet to happen in his MLB career, right?

Foulke You
11-27-2004, 02:10 PM
No offense, but what are you smoking. Gload did well in a pinch hit/platoon role. Which is great. But so did Timo Perez. Look what happened when he became a starter.

As for Johnson, last year he was injured most of the season. But the year before he hit .284 with 14 homers and, most importantly, had an OBP of .422. Nick Johnson is a candadite for the 3-hole in a lot of lineups. Gload will never be that good.I completely disagree that Nick Johnson a 3 hole candidate for a lot of teams. He doesn't have nearly enough offensive production to be a #3 hitter in the bigs. Not to mention the guy is extremely fragile.

Ross Gload hit .321, had 7HRs, 44RBIs, .479slg% and an OBP of .375 in 234 ABs. While I agree that Timo did well for us, Gload was clearly much better. We may have to agree to disagree but if I'm KW, I'm giving Gload the starting 1B spot (should Paulie get traded) and not wasting my money on a guy like Nick Johnson who is most likely going to be injured and is largely overrated in my opinion. Not to mention that Gload will make considerably less than Johnson which lets the money be spent in other areas like pitching.

34 Inch Stick
11-29-2004, 11:08 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking. It sounds like the name of a team in a movie where they could not get MLB rights to use an actual team name.

As for the 5 year rule, I bet for a few hundred million for the franchise the MLB will throw in a caveat absolutely free.