PDA

View Full Version : Sox+Flubs vs Yanks+Mets---$$$

Paulwny
11-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Part of an article from Feb. 2004 advocatind a 3rd team in NYC.
According to the most recent census, the New York metropolitan area is 21,199,865 strong. The figure for Los Angeles is 16,373,645; for Chicago, 9,157,540.

According to a survey performed by Scarborough Research for MLB, 21% of New Yorkers who describe themselves as "very interested" in major-league baseball, as compared with 15% of Los Angelinos and 13% of Chicagoans. According to the most recent figures I was able to find (they're from 1999), per capita income in the New York metropolitan area is $38,539. The figure is $28,050 for Los Angeles and $33,857 for Chicago.

With these numbers it's easy to make a very crude estimate of the potential dollars each team has access to: Figure the number of avid fans in each city, and multiply it by per-capita income... [T]he total income of avid baseball fans in Chicago is around $40 billion. The total income of avid baseball fans in Los Angeles is around $69 billion. The total income of avid baseball fans in New York is around $172 billion. This means, then, that the Yankees and Mets inhabit a fiscal universe where they are, theoretically, drawing from a resource pool of around $85 billion apiece -- more than four times that available to the two teams in the massive city of Chicago.
http://www.futilityinfielder.com/blog/2004/02/marchman-madness-manuscript-margins.shtml

voodoochile
11-23-2004, 07:24 PM
It's still a $40B pool for two teams who at best can expect to draw around $120M from attendance driven revenue - including food, drinks, memorabilia and parking. $150M would be the top figure. Not being able to get that much in the door with that much out there is pathetic.

Also, that's just the money from "avid fans", right? What about casual fans?

There's over 270B in potential revenue out there and the Sox can't draw 2M fans paying them $70M/season. That's as strong an indictment of JR's team as anything I can think of.

jabrch
11-23-2004, 07:37 PM
There's over 270B in potential revenue out there and the Sox can't draw 2M fans paying them $70M/season. That's as strong an indictment of JR's team as anything I can think of.

Is it possibly that it is easier to indict someone who you are always looking to indict? :D:

voodoochile
11-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Is it possibly that it is easier to indict someone who you are always looking to indict? :D:
Sure, got more ammo? I'll throw whatever works at that SOB. He's holding my favorite baseball team hostage. :bandance:

At least the flubbies are making money like they should in this city. What's JR's excuse?

Come on Jerry, take the money and run to the bank...

:selljerry

Daver
11-23-2004, 07:45 PM
If it looks like a duck........