PDA

View Full Version : Matt Morris?

Chrisaway
11-23-2004, 04:43 AM
I was just browsing the list of FA starting pitchers and came across Matt Morris. Is he hurt? He looked sloppy this year but is he worth a shot?

eriqjaffe
11-23-2004, 09:27 AM
I was just browsing the list of FA starting pitchers and came across Matt Morris. Is he hurt? He looked sloppy this year but is he worth a shot?IIRC, he hasn't had any injury problems, just overall flakiness.

I suppose it depends on what kind of money he's looking for...if it's anything like the $12 million the Cards payed him to post numbers only slightly better than Jon Garland last year, no thanks.

If he wants to sign for $4 or $5 million? Sure. He'd be a much better patch to the rotation than Jason Grilli. Buerhle/Garcia/Contreras/Morris/Garland sounds good to me.

ChiSoxRowand
11-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Matt Morris has been a good pitcher but I dont know what happened to him this year.I think He still won 15 games but everytime I saw him he got rocked and he had a high ERA. I would take a chance on him if the price is right though.

RedPinStripes
11-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Morris is right up Jr's alley. A big name pitcher at the end of his career at the right price. I've seen this many times before. :whiner:

eriqjaffe
11-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Morris is right up Jr's alley. A big name pitcher at the end of his career at the right price.I'd hardly say that Morris is at the end of his career. He's only 30, and is coming off an off-year...where his stats are comparable to a good Jon Garland year.

That being the case...like I said...$4 or $5 million? Sure. Morris'll probably want...um...Kris Benson-type money.

For the record, I can't believe baseball has arrived at a point where I'm using the phrase "Kris Benson-type money".

gosox41
11-24-2004, 11:52 AM
I'd hardly say that Morris is at the end of his career. He's only 30, and is coming off an off-year...where his stats are comparable to a good Jon Garland year.

That being the case...like I said...$4 or $5 million? Sure. Morris'll probably want...um...Kris Benson-type money.

For the record, I can't believe baseball has arrived at a point where I'm using the phrase "Kris Benson-type money".

I read somewhere that Morris had a big drop in velocity all year. If that's the case, bells and lights should be going off as that is a bad sign for a pitcher. Not saying he can't rebound but when a pitche experiences a sudden drop in velocity and his stats get worse, it's not a good sign.

Of the 3 guys that are talked about most here in terms of signing as FA, here's the order in which I think would be the best:

1. Lieber
2. Clement
3. Morris

Even Clement makes me nervouse. Wasn't he demoted from the starting staff in September because of injury?

Bob

Flight #24
11-24-2004, 12:00 PM
I read somewhere that Morris had a big drop in velocity all year. If that's the case, bells and lights should be going off as that is a bad sign for a pitcher. Not saying he can't rebound but when a pitche experiences a sudden drop in velocity and his stats get worse, it's not a good sign.

Of the 3 guys that are talked about most here in terms of signing as FA, here's the order in which I think would be the best:

1. Lieber
2. Clement
3. Morris

Even Clement makes me nervouse. Wasn't he demoted from the starting staff in September because of injury?

Bob
I believe it was a "neck and back strain". Could be compensatory for shoulder stiffness or something, but there wasn't anything explicitly arm-related. Morris scares the crap out of me. His K/9 has been steadily declining and with reports of reduced velocity, he smells like damaged goods. Plus, I think he's going to want more than Lieber/Clement. Those 2 guys seem like the best values out there.