PDA

View Full Version : Alex Escobar?

OzzieBall2004
11-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Maybe this belongs in the minor league discussion, but anyone have an update on Alex Escobar? Is he playing winter ball? If not, is he gonna be ready to go for Spring Training? And if we strike out on landing an outfielder, is he a real option, and dare I say it, something to be excited about? :?:

kittle42
11-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Whether he's a real option or not, I bet KW will try to convince you he is at Soxfest.

Jjav829
11-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Maybe this belongs in the minor league discussion, but anyone have an update on Alex Escobar? Is he playing winter ball? If not, is he gonna be ready to go for Spring Training? And if we strike out on landing an outfielder, is he a real option, and dare I say it, something to be excited about? :?:
I don't think he can be considered a real option at this point. He's a guy you bring in to Spring Training and see what he does. If the Sox don't acquire another RF by then, maybe you hope he plays well enough to take over as the 4th outfielder. He's definitely not a guy you rely on for anything though. If he surprises in Spring Training and shows some of his once highly thought of potential, maybe he becomes a steal. If not, maybe Joe Borchard can reserve him a spot on the bus to bust city.

California Sox
11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I saw he was on our 40 man. How did we get him? Minor league free agent? He has some upside. He might be a good platoon partner, if we only had a LH-hitting outfielder for him to platoon with. At the very least, he's a decent defensive replacement. Who knows, maybe he'll be this year's Uribe.

HomeFish
11-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Is this the guy that platooned with Coco Crisp on the Indians in 2004?

Jabroni
11-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Is this the guy that platooned with Coco Crisp on the Indians in 2004?He played for the Indians very shortly last season but he broke his foot and they released him. We picked him up off waivers. Escobar plays RF and some CF.

munchman33
11-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Is this the guy that platooned with Coco Crisp on the Indians in 2004?
Yeah. If I remember right, he was the key prospect to the original Robbie Alomar deal that sent him to the Mets. There was a pretty big backlash over trading him. He was supposed to be the next big thing (and was a much more highly rated prospect than Jeremy Reed ever was). Kinda the poster child for why trading prospects isn't always a bad idea.

Ol' No. 2
11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Kinda the poster child for why trading prospects isn't always a bad idea.:LTP Hey!! What about me!!!

HomeFish
11-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, he seems like an improvement over Borchard.

munchman33
11-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, he seems like an improvement over Borchard.
Who doesn't?

pearso66
11-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Who doesn't?
Kirk Krenzel? Oh wait, we were talking baseball

johnny_mostil
11-23-2004, 05:50 PM
He played for the Indians very shortly last season but he broke his foot and they released him. We picked him up off waivers. Escobar plays RF and some CF.
Escobar is a classic five-tool prospect who can't stay healthy. The White Sox have a history of keeping people who "can't stay healthy" relatively so. He could surprise. His highlight reel in the outfield is pretty amazing.

OzzieBall2004
11-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Kirk Krenzel? Oh wait, we were talking baseball

Hmmm, not familiar with Kirk but I'd bet he's better than Craig Krenzel....

That gives me an idea...Why not trade Borchard to the Bears and give winter ball a whole new meaning, and maybe give them a quarterback in the process?

California Sox
11-23-2004, 10:30 PM
That gives me an idea...Why not trade Borchard to the Bears and give winter ball a whole new meaning, and maybe give them a quarterback in the process?
And maybe Azumeh can play 2b. :smile:

kittle42
11-24-2004, 01:52 AM
And maybe Azumeh can play 2b. :smile:
Does Azumeh know Azumah?

gosox41
11-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Does Azumeh know Azumah?
I think Azumeh hangs out with Urlaker.:D:

Bob

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2004, 09:48 AM
I think Azumeh hangs out with Urlaker.:D:

BobAdd in Rowland and Valentine and we've got the beginnings of an All-Misspelled Team. Maybe we can get Miguel Oliva back?

Flight #24
11-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Add in Rowland and Valentine and we've got the beginnings of an All-Misspelled Team. Maybe we can get Miguel Oliva back?
With that team, you'd need to sell the farm and make a trade for Omer Visquel:D: