PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a White Sox Fan?

BRDSR
11-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I was driving home from the good old University of Illinois for Thanksgiving break Friday and I decided to take the scenic route up 90/94 to take a look at U.S. Commiscular Field. And I got to thinking, "Man, I can't wait for opening day!" And then I compared Opening Day at U.S. Commiscular Field with Christmas, and decided that if I had to choose between the two, I would definitely choose Opening Day.

And because I get reflective when I drive, I got to thinking about why I'm a White Sox fan. It's not because they've won anything in my lifetime. It's not because they treat their fans really well. It's not because they have a beautiful stadium(although the last few years have brought some real improvements). It's not because they have any standout players on the team. And so I decided I'm a White Sox fan because every year I walk into that park in early April and no matter how little they've done in the offseason and how dismal their chances look you never know what kind of year they're going to have.

So in the spirit of producing an entirely positive thread on this board, I'd like to hear why some other people are White Sox fans.

PaulDrake
11-22-2004, 04:26 PM
My dad is from Pennsylvania and grew rooting for Ralph Kiner and the "rinky dink" Pirates. When he took a job in Chicago he decided that he needed an AL rooting interest. It was 1954 and he'd already taking a liking to Minoso, Rivera, Fox and Pierce. So he would sit on the couch with his Meister Brau beer in hand and watch the White Sox whenever they graced our old black and white. Remember the peanut butter commercial where the guy says he folds his sandwich in half because his dad did it and he wanted to do everything "just like him". Well that's the way I was as a kid, so he influenced me, or some might say "poisoned" my mind and starting in 1957 I became a Chicago White Sox fan. It was the middle of the Go Go era so there was lots more exciting baseball for about a decade. Pretty lousy after that, except for the odd year here and there. Many times I ask myself why I continue. Totally irrational, but I'm way too old to change.

mweflen
11-22-2004, 04:27 PM
When we moved to IL, my dad and I watched the Sox in the evening (after school and work) while my mom, who worked nights, watched the Cubs during the day (before the lights). So that's the origin.

Since then, it's become kind of a class thing. I just really dislike the yuppie fan base of the Cubs, and being from Milwaukee originally, I feel much more in tune with the working class aspect of the Sox fan base.

I can say that I've never felt particularly hopeful as a Sox fan. Why should I? I mean, yes, there's the silly March hopes we all get, then the "gee, in this division, they should do well" May and June hopes.

And I can also say that I am a Sox fan despite the pretty awful customer service/relations/PR that characterizes the Reinsdork Regime as a whole.

I long for the days when we can have an ownership truly committed to something more than mediocrity, whilst simultaneously keeping at least some prices in the park low enough for the working class fan base to actually attend at a better-than-20,000 per game clip. Sadly, those days are not now.

But baseball, like life, is about hope, loss, and renewal. Unless you're a Yankees fan, in which case you're a jerk.:D:

SouthSide_HitMen
11-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Great post / thread as we should reflect this week on what we are and should be truly grateful for: God, Family, America, Friends & of course White Sox Baseball.

I think all of us on these boards love the White Sox and though we might disagree as to how they will reach the World Series (or who should manage them to the WS), I think we all can agree that there are several reasons we love the White Sox and care so much about them that we spend so much time & money watching / listening / attending their games, reading about them in the newspaper and discussing the team with your fellow family, friends and posters on this board.

I love the Sox and have ever since I was 5 years old (April 1975). Though I grew up on the Northwest Side (Belmont & Central) and most of my friends were Cubs fans (though not of the clueless nature that most Wrigleyville residents are "fans") I loved the players and the excitement of watching White Sox baseball. My first game attended was a rained shortened night game which the Sox lost to the "evil" New York Yankees. But being able to go to the park that looked so exciting on TV (WSNS-44) just made me more of a Sox fan.

The 1977 & 1983 teams were the best in my lifetime. I remember staying over night in the White Sox parking lot with my grandfather to purchase playoff tickets (1983) the next morning with the other die-hard fans. I remember the many games attended, several of which were provided through Bill Veeck and the "perfect attendance / Straight As" program "on the house".

Mostly I remember the great times in the old ballpark. I attended the first night game at the new park and was still pretty upset about the tearing down of Comiskey Park. I didn't buy a ticket for several years later, upset about the new park and then the 1994 strike. I still followed the team and began going to games once again in 1999 and have gone to games ever since.

In conclusion, my love for the Sox which was carried down from my grandfather and has been with me all of my life will continue no matter how the team performs and for that I am truly greatful.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Hangar18
11-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Thru White-Flags ......and Payroll Constraints, thru Carlton Fisk being released to the Team almost being moved, thru blaming the fans, to Not Trying to
go to the World Series, I wonder why Im still a Sox fan. That said though,
I'll NEVER EVER be a "fan" of that other team 8 miles north. :mad:

HomeFish
11-22-2004, 04:59 PM
June 11-13, 1999. Opened my eyes.

ma_deuce
11-22-2004, 05:02 PM
I'd like to say its because I am a Southsider... or because my dad took me to the games every now and then in my youth. However, the truth is that I became a Sox fan because WGN would preempt cartoons in the afternoons with lousy Cubs games. So, when my interests took me from cartoons to sports, my conditioned hatred for the Cubs took me to 35th and Shields.

And I never looked back.

Deuce

PS: This is also the main (though definately not the only) reason I hate Notre Dame. Don't mess with my Saturday Morning Cartoons, God Bless it! :angry:

Tekijawa
11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I've awaken many a nights in a cold sweat with this question on my mind. I guess I just like to be disappointed some times. God has given me a gerat Family, a wonderful wife, great friends, and a good paying job. He evened everything up by giving me Chicago sports teams to root for (sans the Cubs of course)...

MiamiSpartan
11-22-2004, 05:15 PM
I grew up in Wheaton in a family of Cubs fans. Around the time I was in HS, and could start thinking for myself, I realized that the Sox were getting the short end of the stick in Chicago vs the Cubs, and the Cubs management was so pathetic, that I started pulling for the Sox. Not that the Sox management is any better, but it just made me puke how all of the yuppie cub fans would talk about how great they were for following a losing team. And none of them really seemed to know anything about baseball, either....

LVSoxFan
11-22-2004, 05:16 PM
As a Northsider who lives in the ground zero of Cubdom, being a Sox fan ain't easy! By I make no effort to hide it.

I've always liked the scrappy, more blue-collar (at least in image) idea of the Sox rather than the Cubbies--who went from loveable losers (something I find an oxymoron) to spoiled, obnoxious almost-contenders. When a town is so overwhelmingly tilted to one team, I enjoy the fact that as it turns out, I'm not one of the herd.

Fans is another issue; while the Cell certainly has its bad apples, nothing is more lame to me then dealing with the thousands of frat-boy, drunken fans at a Cubs game--and everybody's right on top of each other because the park is so small. Granted, their fans are absolutely fanatical, but on the other hand I don't take baseball that seriously, to get that worked up about it--so I'm unimpressed.

And I have to say the park is a great reason to make the El trip for me; the improvements are great, the outfield parkway is genius, and being there on a sunny day in the summer rules. My favorite thing is walking into the park and catching that smell right away: of all the food cooking.

People from out of town assume we're all Cubs fans, which can be amusing. Hell, Newsweek just did a piece on the Red Sox victory and mentioned that only one other team has been cursed that long: the Cubs.

Oops!

I guess there's a certain outsider status to the Sox that holds part of the appeal, honestly. But I always liked them better, outsider or not. Comiskey back in the 80s was a blast--Cubs games now are sort of an ordeal to experience, now that they sellout every game.

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Why am i a sox fan? Because my granpa grew up on the south side. Its tradition people. Tradition. I will pass that tradition on to my kids.

But here's the question. If your parents were cubs fans would YOU be a cubs fan. I mean honestly people. Dont just say it because you wanna be cool. I mean i probably wouldnt be a cubs fan if my parents were born on the north side. Im not saying this just to be cool. I know that the cubs suck and that their fans are all yuppies.

maurice
11-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Same reasons as many, I suppose -- I grew up on the South Side and my dad was a Sox fan. The funny thing is, he was born in St. Paul and grew up in Lakeview.

:(:

Ol' No. 2
11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
It's mainly a hereditary condition, but can be contagious.

Daver
11-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm a glutton for punishment.

A.T. Money
11-22-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm a Sox fan because I was raised a Sox fan. Dad is a Sox fan, both of his brothers are Sox fans, and my Grandpa was a Sox fan.

My dad would take my sister and I to ballgames all the time. We'd go as a family (mom went too). Of course, my sister married a Cubs fan (he will root for the Sox too, but he's going to corrupt my future nephews and nieces). My sister probably doesn't care either way, but she knows that I'm a crazy Sox fan and will start arguing with my brother-in-law even if he doesn't care. lol. I remember watching the Bartman play and was laughing inside, but since I was in his house I said nothing. He was fuming and he knew I was cheering inside.

But anyway, my girlfriend knew nothing about baseball when we started dating, and now she is a huge Sox fan. She loves going to the games.

So it's safe to say the future ATMs will be big Sox fans.:bandance:

Rocky Soprano
11-22-2004, 05:42 PM
The players, the atmosphere, the true Chicago baseball fans:

I love it all!

:D:

Eddie Gaedel
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
i was born into it. one of my first memories is sitting at the bar with my father and brother. my bro and i drinking sodas, my dad drinking beer and talking baseball with the bartender. he would give us a few quarters and we would have to sit on a stool to play the pinball machine. after a while we would head off to comiskey. he would pull us out of school to go to opening day, and we could stay up late to watch a night game. i've never known anything else other than white sox baseball.

A.T. Money
11-22-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm a glutton for punishment.
Man, you made that post at the exact moment I put that in my signature!!!

That, is ESP if I've ever seen it!

steff
11-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Because there is no alternative for me. My family has bled WS baseball for 70+ years.. and will for another 70+ if I have anything to do with it. It's all I know.

A.T. Money
11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Because there is no alternative for me. My family has bled WS baseball for 70+ years.. and will for another 70+ if I have anything to do with it. It's all I know.
Awwwwwwwww yeah. That's what I'm talkin bout....

Jeah.

Foulke You
11-22-2004, 06:36 PM
My grandfather was, and my father and uncle still are, big White Sox fans who were born and raised in Chicago Heights. They helped to mold me into the rabid Sox fan I am today despite the fact that I grew up (and still live) near O'hare where most of my friends were Cubs fans.

I looked forward to July 4th fireworks nights at Old Comiskey with my Dad and Uncle and although I was sad to see the old park go, I happily went across the street to see my beloved team play on through the '90s. When I was old enough to drive/ride the L, I was taking it down to New Comiskey to the games. I even got up at 4:45AM to go get playoff tickets back in 2000. (Damn you Jay Buhner and Edgar Martinez!!)

I love everything about this team other than the fan alienating owner and the lack of championships. The smell of the Hot Dogs on the concourse, Nancy Faust's organ playing, the exploding scoreboard, NANANA HEY HEY GOODBYE, the anticipation after hearing the CTA "L" voice say "Sox 35th is next, Doors Open on the Left at Sox 35th" before a big game, but most of all, the tradition and fond memories you take with you from going to the games with friends and family through the years.

I guess as a previous poster pointed out, there is also a certain allure of rooting for the outcast blue collar team. The "unsexy" team that nobody wants or likes but us. This makes us part of a special group of fans that go against the grain and don't let people tell us who we are supposed to cheer for.

LongLiveFisk
11-22-2004, 06:36 PM
But here's the question. If your parents were cubs fans would YOU be a cubs fan. I mean honestly people. Dont just say it because you wanna be cool. I mean i probably wouldnt be a cubs fan if my parents were born on the north side. Im not saying this just to be cool. I know that the cubs suck and that their fans are all yuppies.

Well, my dad was a lifelong Cubs fans and his love for them didn't rub off on me. I have liked the Sox since 1977 when I was 6 years old. Those guys hitting all those homers and the exploding scoreboard was exciting to me, whereas I found everything about the Cubs to be BORING. Of course this was about 7 years before Wrigley turned into the big college frat party scene that it remains today.

An older brother helped turn me onto the Sox, and you know, to this day I keep forgetting to ask him why dad's Cub fandom never wore off on him either. But thank God for that!

Foulke You
11-22-2004, 06:41 PM
This thread also helps inspire me to get a headstart on the next generation of Sox fans because my sister in law is pregnent and her family is nothing but rabid Cubs fans. My brother doesn't really care for baseball but he holds no love for the Cubs so I will get some support from him but I can't depend on him staving off the Cubs "mind poison" that they will give the child. I've vowed that this future nephew/niece of mine is going to be rooting for the White Sox. I will not let it fall to the dark side of the force.:cool:

oldcomiskey
11-22-2004, 06:43 PM
the same reason Waylon got on drugs--he said he could think of a lot of different excuses--but stupudity is the best one--that aint the real reason but Ive been looking for a place to use that line

doublem23
11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
When I was growing up the Sox were good and the Cubs were not. Probably had more to do with it than anything else.

BigEdWalsh
11-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Nice post! My grandfather immigrated from Germany and though he died before I was born I understand he was a sort of a Cubs fan. My dad being the black sheep of the family became a Sox fan. The rest is history....

I became aware of baseball about 1956 and as a little kid had sort of a speech impediment. My dad always said the first thing I ever said that he could understand was "Louie Aparicio". As a kid I gobbled up anything I could read about the Sox, collected Sox baseball cards, had a Little Louie statue, a Louie Aparicio baseball glove and remember many a night listening to Sox night games on a my transistor radio when I went to bed. Whew...fond memories!! :gulp:

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Dad grew up in Chicago back when they had great players such as billy pierce and nellie fox and actually made it to the WS :o:. When I came into the world, he'd always take me on his shoulder to white sox games and I became a fan. Now that my dad's gone, it's just my mom and I to continue being white sox fans.

MRKARNO
11-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Because of all of the championships they've won in the past 50-60 years. They have such a winning history.

I've known to be a White Sox fan before I actually knew what home plate was. Been going to games since I was 2 years old. My dad grew up on the South Side and in the South Suburbs.

FightingBillini
11-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I finally get to use this tag::threadrules:

Its good to have a thread every now and then that makes us smile and reminisce. Despite the pond scum owner giving us the proverbial middle finger year in and out, we still love the team. We hate Reinsdorf BECUASE we love the team so much. As for me, I want into baseball that much growing up because my dad isnt much of a baseball fan. I went to a game back at the Baseball Palace, thanks to perfect attendence in kindergarten. Unfortunately, all I remember was that we sat in the left field upper deck, and they lost in 10. My dad, always the one to leave early, said "if they were gonna lose they should have at least done it without going extra innings." I started really getting into baseball in 93. My grandpa on my mom's side was a huge Sox fan. He died around the time I was born. Right about the time I became a huge fan I wanted to know more about my grandpa. I started going through some of his stuff and hearing stories from my mom about how much he loved the Sox. It just drew me closer to the team. As I said before, I almost want the team to win for him more than for myself.

rwcescato
11-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Here Here Steff,
I was born and raised White Sox baseball. My father raised at 63rd and Normandy, he moved us to Tinley Park. I now live in Mokena. His father,
my Grandfather, a passionate Sox fan. All of my brothers are Sox fans and
we are passing it down to our kids who are between 4 and 9. They will not know why they are Sox fans but to say that all of thier uncles and fathers were.
It is mostly what Sox fans are. We are a very passionate and knowledgeable
group. With Thanksgiving here I would like to extend a Happy Thanksgiving
to all Sox fans across our country.
As Andy The Clown use to say" GGGOOO YYYOOUUU WWWHHHIITTEE
SSSOOOXXX!!!!!!!!!!!
Rich:turkeys

Nellie_Fox
11-22-2004, 09:37 PM
In my formative baseball-watching years, WGN broadcast the games of whichever team was at home, covering no road games (except the 59 pennant clincher.) The first year I remember being into baseball was '55. The Go-Go- Sox were really coming into their own, but I watched both the Sox and Cubs, because, well, I was 6 years old, and it was baseball.

Even then I preferred the Sox. They were a much more exciting team than the Cubs. '56 came along, and Little Looie replaced Carrasquel at short, teaming up with my idol Nellie. About that same time, I began to notice that a lot of my friends in LaGrange were Cubs fans. The arguments we'd get into made me more and more defensive of the Sox. Even then, kids preferred the home runs of Ernie Banks to the base stealing, hit and running, pitching and defense intensive Sox. (In '57, Rivera and Doby tied for the club lead in homers with 14. Ernie hit 43.)

Eventually the Cub hatred blossomed, and the defense of Sox fandom got set in concrete.

illinibk
11-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Simple. I have a job, so that means I can't be a Cubs fan.

MikeW
11-22-2004, 11:03 PM
I wish I knew. I have no Chicago ties whatsoever. I was born in 1955 and have rooted for them since 1960-61. I grew up in New Jersey and was surrounded by Yankee fans. Have been to Chicago a couple of times just to see the Sox and I have a massive collection of Sox memorabilia. Why do I root for them? Only the Good Lord knows!!!!!:?:

duke of dorwood
11-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Thank my grand father-I was born on 26 th & Wells, and always a South Sider-Seen Herb Score attempt a comeback in a Sox/Cubs game with 52,000-was at Billy Pierce 8 2/3 perfect game-listened to Bob Elson on the back porch when lived in Englewood-they've been a constant for me-

voodoochile
11-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Because the flubbies sucked so bad that I was forced to quit them cold turkey back in 1979. The only other option was the Sox. I never looked back. Then came 1983 and that ended any questions for all time.

ondafarm
11-22-2004, 11:51 PM
I was born a White Sox fan. My mother founded the official Nellie Fox fan club and the day I was born, he happened to be near enough to visit my mother and I in the hospital. Mom has a picture of him holding me that day.

I can truly say, I have been a White Sox fan since the day I was born !!!

ewokpelts
11-23-2004, 12:05 AM
because i like pain

Gene

JGarlandrules20
11-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Well, I wasn't "born" a white sox fan. My dad is a sox fan..not exactly diehard..but he is a fan. He never forced baseball on me, though. I always loved the sport..(I've been playing softball for 10 years now)

When I was around 10 or something I remember asking him which team he liked better and he said "The white sox, because they are better." After that I slowly started following them. My first game was at Safeco in 2001 and my first sox game at the cell was in 2003.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Simple. I have a job, so that means I can't be a Cubs fan. :roflmao:

LASOXFAN
11-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Why am i a sox fan? Because my granpa grew up on the south side. Its tradition people. Tradition. I will pass that tradition on to my kids.

My dad's a Cubs fan. I'm a Sox fan. Fortunately for me he took me to Comiskey for my first game instead of Wrigley. Maybe things would've turned out different. He still kicks himself. Me? I don't like to think about it for too long. :D:

minastirith67
11-23-2004, 01:15 AM
:roflmao: at your sig!!!!
because i like pain

Gene

jordan23ventura
11-23-2004, 02:41 AM
Have you ever met someone that you knew immediately you didn't like and later turned out to be a prick? Have you ever been somewhere and spotted a beautiful girl that you just knew you were going to have? Have you ever looked at beer on a shelf that you've never tried and have never heard anything about before, but knew it would taste great before you realized it did?

That's how I became a Sox fan. My family bleeds silver and black, but I don't think that was the only reason I became a Sox fan. It was more the intuition - knowing that the Cubs suck and the "good guys wear black."

I wasn't old enough to remember the Sox success in the 80's, but the early 90's were enough to make me realize that my intuition was right. Watching a young Robin Ventura and Frank Thomas snap up MVP's and gold gloves, watching 1Dog and Rock Raines fly around the bases, Black Jack, Fernandez, and Alvarez pitching a great game before Roberto Hernandez came out to dominate, and all the media surronding the Bo Jackson come back, it was just awesome.

Grab a beer, and here's to a future dynasty before we all die.

jordan23ventura
11-23-2004, 02:59 AM
One thing I forgot to add: awesome thread.

It's easy to be pessimistic, and often very hard to be optimistic, but hey - despite low payroll, bad injuries, bad contracts, bad personnel moves, 'sure-things' now flipping burgers, a field named after a cellular phone company, fans running out into the field, choking in the stretch run, etc., it will all be worth a few promising seasons capped off with a World Series.

pinwheels3530
11-23-2004, 03:12 AM
Because Sox fans are true Chicago baseball fans,... because of the exploding scoreboard,....because of old Comiskey, ...because of Harold, Ozzie, Kittle, Fisk...because of old roof top homeruns.......because on Na Na Na Na Hey Hey.....because they play on 35th street......because of Thomas, Ventura, Black Jack, & Magglio......because they wear the coolest looking uniforms in baseball.....because of our working class fan base......because my son deserves to be raised right...I can go on forever.:bandance:

SoxFan76
11-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Because we bring our A game
Because the kids can play
Because good guys wear black
Hot dogs, fireworks, its White Sox baseball.....

All joking aside, my dad is a Sox fan. Not diehard during my lifetime atleast, as he went to many games during the 70s and was actually at Disco Demolition (which I didn't find out til this year at the anniversary)

My mom and her whole side of the family are Cub fans. They are your perfect people with high paying jobs, nice houses, and just overall that goodie good personalities. They are great people, but its like a freakin episode of Leave it to Beaver.

My dad's side, rude, crude, hard working people. My grandpa, a Sox fan, was a truck driver. My grandma took care of six kids AND had a job. My dad was working by 14. I love that side of the family so much. So much fun to be around. I associate that persona with the White Sox, and associate that goody-good persona with the Cubs ever since.

My mom was a stay at home mom when we were younger. She would stay home and watch soaps and the Cubs in the afternoons. My dad and my brothers were at school, so obviously we can't see Cub games. We always saw the Sox games at night. When I was younger, although I did not hate the Cubs in any way, I always thought of them as "minor league". They always sucked, and nobody could watch them since they played during the afternoon. I saw the White Sox as the real deal since they had better teams, better players, and people could watch/go to games. That pretty much is why I am a Sox fan.

hsnterprize
11-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Hmmmm....interesting question. Here's my $.02 before taxes...

Like many people of my generation (early to mid 30's in age), I came home after school to watch the Cubs on TV. They didn't have light yet, so obviously, all the Cubs games at Wrigley were in the daytime while the Sox were on at night. I remember watching WSNS coverage of the Sox games, and hearing Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersal was pretty cool. Now, I wasn't raised on a "one team or the other" mentality. I was raised in Broadview, which is a near-west suburb of Chicago, and that was a pretty neutral area as far as Cubs vs. Sox was concerned. No team had won anything yet, so any team winning a league championship was good enough for us.

The first time I saw a team win anything significant was the Sox winning the 1983 American League Western Division. There was a lot of press coverage of that win back then, but nothing compared to the Cubs' winning the National League East the next year. However, I was too young and not connected enough to understand the significance of that. Anyway, I basically grew up in the time when the sociological divide between the Cubs and Sox was starting to take shape. In other words, with the Tribune Company owning the Cubs, it was starting to become more of a trendy thing to be a Cubs fan while the "working class" people stuck with the White Sox. My mom was a postal worker, and dad was a union electrical worker, so we related more to the Sox than the Cubs. And even though there wasn't that "Cubs vs. Sox" mentality in my house, dad was more of a Sox fan than a Cub fan. Let's face it...back in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid, the Sox were simply better than the Cubs, and those who even bothered to go to Wrigley Field were true die-hard fans...and not the trendy, hip, etc., etc., etc. people we see today.

I remember watching people like Harold Baines, Scott Fletcher, Vance Law, Rudy Law, Greg Luzinski, Ron Kittle, LaMarr Hoyt, Floyd Bannister, Chet Lemon, Steve Kemp (with his crouch-like stance and the flick of the bat), Carlton Fisk, and so many other Sox players. In fact, whenever the family would visit relatives in the south side of the city, we'd always pass by old Comiskey Park. The very first time I saw Wrigley Field in person was the December before the year I started covering sports professionally. I was excited to be there like any other first-timer, but I've since learned the ugly truth about that place. It pays to hang around other Sox fans..even those on the 'net like us at WSI.

So that's my story. And hopefully, my 3 boys will tell a story of Sox love from their father when they're old enough to write about it. I intend on raising 3 Sox fans from childhood to the next generation.

Irishsoxfan
11-23-2004, 09:05 AM
......because my son deserves to be raised right...
Not why I'm a Sox fan, but underlines the importance of being a Sox fan.

wdelaney72
11-23-2004, 09:13 AM
I grew up in the far North suburbs. My dad could care less about sports, but my mom was and still is a sports nut. She's a Cub fan. I was raised a Cub fan. Back then there wasn't all the media created Cubs / Sox hostility. My grandfather equally loved both teams. Would sit in the living room with the Cub game on the TV and the Sox on the radio at the same time (remember this is way north).

As a kid I had to live through my heros being traded away, one by one. Kingman, Sutter, Buckner. When the Sox won in 1983, i remember asking my mom why we didn't go to any of their games. Her answer was "I don't know where the ballpark is and I'm afraid to go exporing and find it". In her defense, she had not ventured into the city much, so it actually was a legit answer. She likes the Bulls and never took us there for the same reason. Then after 1984 and the Cub crapping down their leg against the Padres, I kind of gave up on baseball. At the same time, I had stopped playing sports as well, so baseball just wasn't a part of my life.

When I was out of college and recently married, my brother-in-law won Sox tickets and invited me to a game. I went, I fell in love with the ballpark, and I was reminded of how much I loved baseball as a kid. By that time the three-ring circus had started up in Wrigleyville. I immediately decided that I was going to start following MLB again, but I'd be damned if I was going to support the nonsesnse in Wrigleyville. Hence, I became a Sox fan, and my mom is still mad at me.

tlebar318
11-23-2004, 09:37 AM
I was born in Bridgeport in the shadows of the old Comiskey. I could see and hear the fireworks going off at night when the Sox were in town. I had a neighbor who had season tickets and took me to games when I was quite little. I also fondly remember Harry reaching out his net to us and my neighbor giving him a can of Falstaff which he quickly chugged right down. I have been a die hard fan of this team from the day I first visited the old park. I miss those days--didn't matter if we won or lost just enjoyed the whole experience. :smile:

Baby Fisk
11-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Kids make weird decisions without any need to justify them. My two favourite baseball names (and thus favourite players) as a little kid were Carlton Fisk and Nolan Ryan. Seriously, who really has names like that?! The more I learned about Fisk, the more I liked him, and a Canadian White Sox fan was born. I loved the SOX batter logo of the day and I guess only a child would find those navy-retro and then the red-white-blue uniforms a good thing. The Blue Jays of the late 70s/early 80s were marketed as "loveable", but even then I saw them for the pathetic losers that they were. I've been the outcast up here ever since. :cool:

:worship::pudge

:lsox

Clarkdog
11-23-2004, 10:52 AM
We moved from Northern California to Chicago in the fall of 1976 - spoiled as A's fans earlier in that decade. My Dad and I followed the American League and made it a point to tune in the Sox on the old Ch. 44 WSNS when the A's came to town during the South Side Hitmen season of 1977.

I remember that broadcast, because my Dad was howling with laughter at the banter between Piersall and Caray during what was also a very good ball game. We adopted the Sox that night not only to watch the Sox - but to listen to Caray and Piersall - they were as entertaining as the team. The Sox had those ridiculous blue uniforms with big collars, but we loved them. Plus the crowds were raucous and smart. Just like at the Coliseum during the A's glory years (72-75). Both teams had enigmatic owners - Veeck for the Sox and Charley Finley of the A's.

We found a lot of what we left in Northern California on the South Side, and we've never turned back.

nlentz88
11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Loyalty to specific sport teams is very important in my family. Last season my dad and I were walking the 100-level concourse behind home plate. A young man and his toddler son were holding hands and walking ahead of us. The boy, no more than four or five years old, was wearing a Pachers helmet and jersey. As my dad (mid-50s) and I passed by, my dear old pops looked down at the boy decked out in green and gold and said, "Packers suck!" The little boy's father looked aghast and said, "Hey!" My father turned to him, shrugged, and responed, "Well, the boy's going to have to hear it eventually!"

That's the kind of sports loyalty that my father bequeathed to me. White Sox, Notre Dame, Bears, and Bulls in that order. I've since added the Fire and Ramblers as well. But I've been a Sox fan since birth. My earliest baseball memories are of old Comiskey, Fisk, Ventura, Kittle, Ribbie, and Rhubarb.

However, I think there comes a time in most peoples lives when they question their loyalty to sports teams. I think I began questioning my loyalty to the Sox in high school. I saw lots of my classmated decked out in Cub gear and wondered why I was different. However, instead of caving in and jumping on the Cubbie bandwagon, I chose to remain a supporter of the underdog. Any man can support the city's most popular team, but it takes real strength to support an unpopular team. I took pride in being one of the few guys in my class who wore Sox gear and I still do to this day.

Being a Sox fan for me means being loyal to my familial roots and prideful of my team's status as underdog.

Nick@Nite
11-23-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm a White Sox fan because I detest the following;

trendiness
pretentiousness
snobbishness
arrogance (ness)

None of the above will ever pertain to the greatest story ever told.

PHG, the royalty check is in the mail.

:)

SOXSINCE'70
11-23-2004, 11:32 AM
It's mainly a hereditary condition, but can be contagious.
My father gave it to me.

Of course my dad,now living in NJ,thinks you can like
the sCrUBS and the Sox.:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

tebman
11-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Because Sox fans are true Chicago baseball fans,... because of the exploding scoreboard,....because of old Comiskey, ...because of Harold, Ozzie, Kittle, Fisk...because of old roof top homeruns.......because on Na Na Na Na Hey Hey.....because they play on 35th street......because of Thomas, Ventura, Black Jack, & Magglio......because they wear the coolest looking uniforms in baseball.....because of our working class fan base......because my son deserves to be raised right...I can go on forever.:bandance:That says it for me about as well as can be said!

The Sox have always had texture and have always provoked emotion -- unlike the north-side club which works very hard to eliminate texture and tries to make things as seamless as possible. That was true when the Wrigley family owned it, and it's even more true now ("Beautiful Wrigley Field," white-bread marketing, etc.). I like texture and personality.

I knew for sure I was a Sox fan when I first heard the exploding scoreboard over 40 years ago. I knew then that I was among friends. Thanks, Bill!
:veeck

- tebman

Jurr
11-23-2004, 11:45 AM
The earliest I can remember baseball is about 1982, when I was three years old. I would go to my grandfather's house and watch the Sox on Sportschannel. (I lived in Hammond, by the way.) That year, I got to sit on Carton Fisk's lap and I had a picture taken. My parents tell me that Carlton asked me who my favorite Sox player was, and I said, "Reggie Jackson". Oops.

Lo and behold, they get to the playoffs the next year, and my family was going nuts. Things were wonderful. My favorite player was Ron Kittle, my favorite song was the Sox fight song (na na na na...), and I couldn't take this fishnet Sox cap off my head.

I loved going to the park when I was young. For some reason, my favorite players became Bobby Bo and Jon Cangielosi (who both signed my little league batting gloves...God bless 'em), and I was a bonafide Sox nut.
Well, even when I moved away from the area in 1991, I kept my Sox loyalty and I still make my pilgrimages every year to at least 2 series.

The Sox stand for the baseball enthusiast. We don't go to the games because it's a trendy spot to go. There's no history behind USCF. We sure as hell don't see them all over the news or ESPN. We go to Sox games because it's a genetically determined disease (along the lines of schizophrenia or masochism) that sticks with you your whole life. One day, we're going to get to see a damn parade in Chicago with the White Sox players waving and we're going to love it. Until that day comes, I will wake up every day in February and March, eager to see what player may break into the lineup come April, I will cancel all of my appts. with my patients on Monday to see the opening game (my partner is not a baseball fan, so I'm covered), and I will say "We'll get 'em next year" every October until the day comes that we win one.
I AM HONORED TO BE AROUND FANS LIKE YOU ALL. GOD BLESS YOU.

BRDSR
11-23-2004, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=nlentz88]

However, I think there comes a time in most peoples lives when they question their loyalty to sports teams. I think I began questioning my loyalty to the Sox in high school. QUOTE]

Man, I remember questioning my religion in high school. I don't ever remember questioning the White Sox. Haha.

surfdudes
11-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Because my parents are Cubs fans.........

eshunn2001
11-23-2004, 01:21 PM
I grew up arpund all Cubs fans. My father, My Mother, all my cousins and Uncles. And I even grew up a Cubs fan. I would watch them on TV, I had Cubs hats, shirts, and even pennants. I even went to a DODGERS team banquet all decked out in Cubs gear. Shook hands with Tommy Lasorda and Orel Hershiser and took pictures with them in Cubs gear.

Now when I was 9 (1989) My neighbors were huge White Sox fans. They Had license plates with Sox lovr on it. They had season tickets, the whole family did. Even the grandmother. On sundays the grandmother would not go. So on occasion they would take me. I went to my first game at the old ball park right before it went down. And i fell in love with it. I met Nancy on the organ the exploding scoreboard. I remember singing after Carlton Fisk hit a homer in the 8th. and the Sox beat the Indians, singing Na Na Na Na. it Hooked me from there on.

I loved the expierience. And the people. Jeremy was the kids name and his mom Karen. They would take me to Sox Fans on Deck meetings, I met a dude named Big bad Bob and some dude who could tell you the score of every sox game from like 1960. It was a blast. Thanks to all the people i mentioned for turning me from the Darkside.

Maximo
11-23-2004, 02:05 PM
My parents owned a restaurant, which in later years became a neighborhood "shot and a beer" bar in the "old country" end of town. Lots of Italians, Belgians and Polish......all of em hard working folks. This was back in the 50's and early 60's when the Sox were a blue collar team with a roster filled with all kinds of nationalities. Our customers identified with them as they went toe-to-toe with the rich and powerful Yankees. Some of my fondest childhood memories were from watching these loyal and faithful people watch the Sox on Channel 9.

If my dad were alive today, I'm sure he'd still remind me that the next Sox pennant will only come when "there's a Dago in Centerfield and a Polack behind the plate".

My apologies if I offended anyone.

Champs2004
11-23-2004, 02:12 PM
My dad is more or less a Chicago fan, he doesnt give a damn who wins as long as someone from this city wins something. I've never been to a Cub game before, i've been to the cell at least one time since it opened. i'm a Sox fan for life. even if my girl is a Yankee fan, i will raise my kids (if i have any) to be die-hard sox fans.

robiwho
11-23-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm a fourth-generation White Sox fan from a family of die-hard fans. Growing up on the SW side in the 70s, I didn't even know there was another way to be! Baseball is the one thing on which everyone in my family can agree. We're all Sox fans and my three-year-old daughter and six-year-old son are well on their way to becoming fifth-generation fans.

It's only a slight exaggeration to say that my father's first question about my husband when we first started dating was, "Is he Catholic?" and the second question was, "Is he a Sox fan?" While he's from a family of baseball agnostics, he's agree to raising the children right and has even gotten in the baseball habit himself. I go to most games with my brother, but I can usually get my husband to 3-4 games a year.

I love being a Sox fan for all the reasons already stated -- the park, the team, the working class sensibility, being in the minority...but most of all the other fans. Go Sox!

Iwritecode
11-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Neither of my parents were big baseball fans and I don't remember watching either team on TV all that much. At some point in the late 80's I ended up with a Sox hat and shirt. This was just before they changed to silver and black. I have no idea how, when or where I got them. When they changed the colors that really sealed the deal because I was just getting into where I loved to wear black.

I believe growing up with a best friend that is a die-hard Cubs fan had something to do with it as well. Whenever we played a video game he would always pick the Cubs. The Sox were the next natural choice.

Chrisaway
11-23-2004, 02:44 PM
At the tender age of 8, I wore my White Sox hat (the white one in my sig) to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Back then I liked both teams (hey i was just a kid). And low and behold, some senile old guy decked out in Cubs gear started yelling incoherantly about how the Sox sucked. I'll never forget the boogers hanging from his nose. I was horrified and I've been a militant White Sox fan ever since.

ja1022
11-23-2004, 03:17 PM
I became a Looie Aparicio fan as a seven year old in 1969 when the Don Gutteridge managed Sox really, really sucked (that's two reallys). The Sox just came along with Aparicio. After the Sox traded him after the 1970 season I tried to be a Bosox fan, but it didn't take. That's it.

chisoxfan24
11-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Last year I started dating a White Sox Enthusiast. I was never really a baseball fan before that. He began hyping me up for the season in January with his White Sox screensavers and backgrounds. He would ramble endlessly about baseball and his beloved Sox. He took me to my first game in April. It was rainy and cold and gross, but we still arrived early for batting practice. He caught a homerun ball during BP and kindly gave it to me (even though he'd never got one for himself) I had already decided Joe Crede was my favorite player (only because of his number). He happened to be signing autographs by our seats behind the dugout. He signed the ball for me, and the cold, gloomy day turned into one of the best days ever. Since then, I haven't gotten enough. I made the four hour drive 3 times this summer for games.

We have now gone our separate ways, but he turned me into a huge Sox fan (and a cub hater!). For that, I thank him! It's hard to be a Sox fan among all these Indiana Cubs Bandwagoners, especially when I don't talk to the ex anymore...so thanks to all of you too!:D:

tlebar318
11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
At the tender age of 8, I wore my White Sox hat (the white one in my sig) to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Back then I liked both teams (hey i was just a kid). And low and behold, some senile old guy decked out in Cubs gear started yelling incoherantly about how the Sox sucked. I'll never forget the boogers hanging from his nose. I was horrified and I've been a militant White Sox fan ever since.
I had a similar experience at the good old "friendly confines" back in 1976 when I was a mere lad of 11. We had a field trip from school one fine spring day and they took us to Wrigley and I made the "mistake" of wearing my Sox batting helmet to the game and some guys in their early 20's took it from me and smashed it on the concourse right in front of me--never been back to Wrigley since--maybe it is not the curse of the "Billy Goat" afterall? The helmet curse perhaps is stronger? I will try to keep the whammy on them! :D:

TommyJohn
11-23-2004, 03:48 PM
My parents were both baseball fans, although they never had any militant
hatred for the Cubs. I would come home from school in the spring and my
mom would always have the Cubs game on TV. Then at night, especially in
the summer, we would sit and watch the White Sox on channel 44. This was
in the '70's when Harry Caray called the games and was a sharp guy, not
the drooling parody he became with the Cubs. My father took me to my
first game when I was four. The date is lost in my memory, but I do know
that it was in 1973, it was overcast, they played the Yankees, and Dick
Allen got a big hit, possibly a home run. He was my first White Sox hero,
along with Wilbur Wood.

In 1975 we moved to the Bridgeport area, within walking distance of the
park, which only cemented my fandom. We used to run outside to watch
the fireworks after every home run. We did a lot of running in 1977. My
father, my brother and I attended a lot of games in the late '70's.

I also was a Cub fan then, though not as much. After all, we never went
to Wrigley Field to see games, and even when I watched games on TV
the place always seemed like it was so far away as to be in a foreign
country. Still, I remember counting Bobby Murcer and Dave Kingman among
my heroes.

That changed in the fall of 1983, when the White Sox made the playoffs and
Cub fans announced that they were rooting for Baltimore. I just did not see
the logic in it, but nevertheless, they converted me. I became an angry,
frothing-at-the-mouth Cub hater and have never looked back. I now root
for the White Sox exclusively.

DumpJerry
11-23-2004, 04:11 PM
When I was 7 or 8, my dad took me to my first Sox game. I had already been to several Flub games over the years. He forgot to tell me about the exploding scoreboard, but Ed Hermann gave me a demonstration. :D: Since then I've been to well over 200 Sox games, one Flub game this year (the Sox game on 7-2), a game in 1984 and a game in 1973.

My dad passed away quite suddenly a week ago today.:whiner: I took him to his last Sox game which was the day after Father's Day (they were not here on Father's Day) when they played the Tribe, my brother's hometown team. You see, my brother was a Flub fan and we lived on the South Side, so he was exiled to Cleveland.

Another reason why I am a Sox fan.....my I.Q. is over 100.

Chrisaway
11-23-2004, 05:12 PM
I had a similar experience at the good old "friendly confines" back in 1976 when I was a mere lad of 11. We had a field trip from school one fine spring day and they took us to Wrigley and I made the "mistake" of wearing my Sox batting helmet to the game and some guys in their early 20's took it from me and smashed it on the concourse right in front of me--never been back to Wrigley since--maybe it is not the curse of the "Billy Goat" afterall? The helmet curse perhaps is stronger? I will try to keep the whammy on them! :D:Haha yeah not only do they have a "goat" and batting helmet curse. They also have the curse of the Zoo.:tongue:

RedPinStripes
11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Here's the real question............

How many people would still be Sox fans if they won the World series? We would have nothing to bitch about and it would be a mood that Sox fans wouldnt understand. :redneck

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-23-2004, 06:54 PM
thats the funniest incident ive ever heard that bred a sox fan. I've always hated the cubs because all i knew about them was that they werent the sox...and any one who isnt the sox sucks. That was my philosophy when i was young.

Risk
11-23-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm a Sox fan for the simplest of all reasons; just because I want to be a Sox fan.

Risk

cubhater
11-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Simple answer. Spring Training 1977. I was born on the north side but my family has south side roots. When I was a little kid the family moved to south Florida and had no idea which Chicago team they rooted for so I kinda pulled for both. Yes, I'm ashamed I actually rooted for the Cubs in my life at some point but I wised up!:bandance:

Anyhow, my mom took me to spring training in Sarasota in '77 and we got a room at a hotel near Payne Park where some of the married Sox players stayed. I met Lamar Johnson who stayed there and invited me to play catch on the side with him during warm-ups. I also talked with Veeck after games and got just about every player's autograph. Talk about a thrill for a 13 year-old kid! That's when my Sox lovefest began!

On a side note, a few years later, my mom and I spent the summer in Chicago. We were early birds to a game at Comiskey and called out to Lamar when he entered the field for batting practice. He remembered us, told me to meet him at the player's parking lot the next day with my glove, and he would invite me into the clubhouse. He brought me onto the field where I shagged fly balls during BP for a few games. One day he actually let me hit in the cage when the Sox were finishing BP and I hit one into the left field stands! Still my happiest moment in all of baseball! I'll never forget the thrill.

Sox fan for life despite Reinsdorf!

cubhater
11-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Here's the real question............

How many people would still be Sox fans if they won the World series? We would have nothing to bitch about and it would be a mood that Sox fans wouldnt understand. :redneck
Oh Im sure we'd still find something to bitch about! Like increase in ticket prices after winning the Series and blue seats actuall look better than green.:redneck

NWSox
11-24-2004, 01:25 AM
I grew up in a Red Sox household but we moved to Palatine in 1972 when I was 7. My dad took us to see the White Sox whenever the Red Sox were in town. While my brothers just went along with family tradition (and are quite happy at the moment), I had to do my own thing. I thought Comiskey Park in the 70s was the coolest place - great food, interesting team, wacky fans. For a kid from the suburbs, Comiskey was an exotic place, I just fell in love. I still compare every ballpark experience to the old Comiskey in the 70s (and nothings stands up).

Good thread - it's nice to remember why you like the Sox and going to games.

Foulke29
11-25-2004, 02:55 AM
As simple as this is going to sound. I love the White Sox.

There's not another way to put it. Why don't question why we love our mothers or fathers. We don't question why we love our wives. We don't question why we love our siblings. We don't question why we love our new born baby child. We don't question why we love our dogs.

Simply put, I love the White Sox. As with any other relationship, excitement and disappointment are equally shared, but I love them unconditionally.

I love the White Sox.

C-Dawg
11-25-2004, 06:10 PM
I remember the many games attended, several of which were provided through Bill Veeck and the "perfect attendance / Straight As" program "on the house".

That sums it up with my family too. My parents were too cheap to actually buy tickets, so we went on the perfect attendance nights.

I don't remember the Cubs having this type of promotion in those days; Bill Veeck did it right and here I am a fan 25 years later.

flo-B-flo
11-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Because Sox fans are true Chicago baseball fans,... because of the exploding scoreboard,....because of old Comiskey, ...because of Harold, Ozzie, Kittle, Fisk...because of old roof top homeruns.......because on Na Na Na Na Hey Hey.....because they play on 35th street......because of Thomas, Ventura, Black Jack, & Magglio......because they wear the coolest looking uniforms in baseball.....because of our working class fan base......because my son deserves to be raised right...I can go on forever.:bandance:And then some.... Go-Go-Sox, Bill Veeck, Harry and Jimmie, Richie Allen, Wilbur Wood, and because my Dad passed on to me the creed that the Sox are the majors and that other team is the minors.:wink:

ChiSox14305635
11-25-2004, 11:16 PM
That sums it up with my family too. My parents were too cheap to actually buy tickets, so we went on the perfect attendance nights.

I don't remember the Cubs having this type of promotion in those days; Bill Veeck did it right and here I am a fan 25 years later.

That's how I was introduced as well. Had perfect attendance for 6 months, won tickets to go to the game at Old Comiskey, then saw with sheer enjoyment as Carlton Fisk lit up the scoreboard with a game-winning (now known as "walk-off) home run. He's been my all time fav since, and the Sox have been my squad, a love affair going on 21 straight years. :cool:

ChiSox14305635
11-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Speaking of White Sox fans, I read Parade Magazine last week and came across this article from Pat Conroy, the author who wrote "The Prince of Tides" who was discussing his childhood and his first White Sox game.

http://archive.parade.com/2004/1114/1114_chili_dogs.html

fed ex 4 pasqua
11-26-2004, 12:04 PM
If you have to ask, you'll never know.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-26-2004, 09:07 PM

I wonder ( and HOPE) they still have this program - I would like to see new Sox fans developed over the next few decades added to the already great fans they have and developed with the "Straight A / Perfect Attendence" over the years.

Even JR senses the need to develop new White Sox fans.

RKMeibalane
11-26-2004, 09:13 PM
:hurt

Chrisaway
11-27-2004, 08:57 AM
:hurt
good reason

wassagstdu
11-27-2004, 09:31 AM
My first memory (age 3) is of my first Sox game, Luke Appling Day at Comiskey, and my father pointing out on the field somewhere and saying "There he is, there's Luke Appling." My next memory is of my first Cubs game at Wrigley. My father took me all the way from the south side on a bus, I ate lots of peanuts, and on the way home I threw up on the bus. Much later, in high school, our PE teacher (the great HS basketball coach Tom (I think) O'Farrell), who was a Cub fan, would not let us listen to the first game of the 1959 World Series during PE class, so I missed the whole thing.

The real reason I became a Sox fan was first Billy Pierce, then Looie Aparicio, Nellie Fox, and Jim Landis. Especially Aparicio. I have no fonder memory than being at Comiskey shouting "Go! Go! Go!" every time Aparicio was on first. I have a 1959 Scorebook signed by both Aparicio and Fox (also Norm Cash) when you used to be able to stand outside the clubhouse under the stands where the players of both teams walked by to get to the field. Pierce was the greatest. He would always stop (when he wasn't pitching) and sign for the kids.

slavko
11-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Raised as a Cub fan, old enough to have seen a game (as a little kid) in the '45 World Series. Suffered through the following 20+ years of really, really bad baseball, never HATED the Sox during that time. Then came the Great Choke of '69 and I could never be a fan again. The Sox filled the void and eventually I came to hate the Cubs like I had been brought up to do so. Their fawning fans and "magical" ballpark helped. So did Harry and Jimmy. Say, last year's choke was ALMOST as good.

Ol Aches & Pains
11-29-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm a Sox fan because I was 9 years old in 1959, and that was the year I discovered baseball. I thought "wow, the World Series!" I thought it was going to be like that every year. Who knew?

Procol Harum
11-30-2004, 10:31 AM
This is a thread that shows up about 3 times a year, but it always produces some interesting info. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Ol' Aches & Pains--I became a Sox fan in '60/'61--after the World Series--but in time for all those great Sox teams of the mid-60s. At that time it seemed only a matter of time before we'd be back in the Big Show. As OA&P said: "Who knew"?

Erik The Red
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
The earliest I can remember baseball is about 1982, when I was three years old. It's funny, I remember getting banned for saying something similar in my first post. But I digress.

My first baseball experience was a late-summer game in 1983, when I was all of 3 years old (well, 3 going on 4 :smile:). I remember 3 distinct things about the game:
1) Two fuzzy looking weirdos whom my dad later told me were called "Ribbie and Roobarb"
2) Getting my picture taken with one of the players, whom once I learned to read I found out was named Ron Kittle
3) Most importantly, probably the main reason I remember anything about that day: my father had never told me about the exploding scoreboard. So, when god-knows-who hit one out, I heard the fireworks and had no idea what was going on, and grabbed my father's neck for dear life. So I'm sitting there screaming, my dad's gasping for air, and everyone around us is busting a gut laughing.

A Cub game could never be that exciting.

RedFoxSoxFan
12-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Born in '83, a few days later i have a baby whitesox uni on. And god bless my parents for saving that photo (actually....... how dare they pass their disease on to me i want to be a pampered yankee or cub fan:wink: ). I was born in De Kalb, only spent a few months living there then family moved to Upstate NY (Albany Area)-- Yankee territory. Somehow despite frequent trips to see the Yankee-minor league team play, i was able to maintain that sox pride.
Matt

Erik The Red
12-01-2004, 08:00 PM
I was born in De Kalb You're probably better off that you didn't grow up there. I went to college there, and from what I have heard from the locals, it's kind of a boring place to grow up.

Fading_Fast
12-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Before i say anything, i'd better mention that I am a cubs fan. Reading this thread has moved me to post.

Last summer i went to three Sox games. My friends were going, and I love baseball no matter who's playing, so i decided to go. Being a cubs fan, i just assumed that i wouldn't really feel "right" cheering for the White Sox. Strange things began to happen. I began cheering my brains out when carlos lee hit a homer. I laughed my ass off when they did "Stretch!". I booed the Twins players and ridiculed the sorry Twins fans who had travelled to Chicago. In short, i had a wonderful time. I was even pissed off when i saw people in cubs stuff at U.S. Cellular, asking myself "what the hell are they doing here?", instead of "allright, a cubs fan!"

My experiences watching the sox and the growing idiocy of the cubs fanbase has left me with a lot of doubt. I was only able to go to one cubs game this last summer, because tickets to wrigley are like gold. The game i went to was the second to last game of the season, at the end of their choke fest. People around me were drunk, and oblivious. I did my best to be happy, because after all i love the cubs and here i was seeing them in person, but it just wouldnt happen. I turned to the guy next to me who was decked out in cubs clothing and asked him what he thought they should do with glendon rusch next year. Based on his outfit, i figured id get a reasonably good discussion out of him. Instead, i got a blank stare and a "glendon who?". Surrounded by drunken idiots. People wearing college sweaters, and old navy knitted caps. People wearing abercrombie and fitch, with a cubs pin or a cubs hat. People who most likely couldnt tell me what an ERA was, or what Micheal Barrett's current batting average was. The discussion around me centered on that awesome party they had last night. Where was the BASEBALL in Wrigley field dammit?

With more and more idiots displacing the real baseball fans in Wrigley, with the departure of Steve Stone, with my sudden realization of the suckiness of sammy sosa and dusty baker, and with my hatred of being on the bandwagon, i have a serious question i need answered.

Who am i rooting for next season? I've been a cubs fan all my life. Maybe it's time i picked up a white sox hat.

tebman
12-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Before i say anything, i'd better mention that I am a cubs fan. Reading this thread has moved me to post.

Last summer i went to three Sox games. My friends were going, and I love baseball no matter who's playing, so i decided to go. Being a cubs fan, i just assumed that i wouldn't really feel "right" cheering for the White Sox. Strange things began to happen. I began cheering my brains out when carlos lee hit a homer. I laughed my ass off when they did "Stretch!". I booed the Twins players and ridiculed the sorry Twins fans who had travelled to Chicago. In short, i had a wonderful time. I was even pissed off when i saw people in cubs stuff at U.S. Cellular, asking myself "what the hell are they doing here?", instead of "allright, a cubs fan!"

My experiences watching the sox and the growing idiocy of the cubs fanbase has left me with a lot of doubt. I was only able to go to one cubs game this last summer, because tickets to wrigley are like gold. The game i went to was the second to last game of the season, at the end of their choke fest. People around me were drunk, and oblivious. I did my best to be happy, because after all i love the cubs and here i was seeing them in person, but it just wouldnt happen. I turned to the guy next to me who was decked out in cubs clothing and asked him what he thought they should do with glendon rusch next year. Based on his outfit, i figured id get a reasonably good discussion out of him. Instead, i got a blank stare and a "glendon who?". Surrounded by drunken idiots. People wearing college sweaters, and old navy knitted caps. People wearing abercrombie and fitch, with a cubs pin or a cubs hat. People who most likely couldnt tell me what an ERA was, or what Micheal Barrett's current batting average was. The discussion around me centered on that awesome party they had last night. Where was the BASEBALL in Wrigley field dammit?

With more and more idiots displacing the real baseball fans in Wrigley, with the departure of Steve Stone, with my sudden realization of the suckiness of sammy sosa and dusty baker, and with my hatred of being on the bandwagon, i have a serious question i need answered.

Who am i rooting for next season? I've been a cubs fan all my life. Maybe it's time i picked up a white sox hat.Welcome to our merry band, FF!

I used to go to Sox games by myself in the '70s while my wife was at work. I'd buy a general admission ticket and sit in the lower-deck seats in the right-field corner. There were always older men there who knew baseball, and I loved to hear them talk and and to talk with them. I understand exactly your frustration in trying to have a baseball experience in the current northside environment. You're among folks here who love the Sox because we love baseball. You've come to the right place.

- tebman

Sox-on-TV44
12-05-2004, 02:56 PM
My father is a big Sox fan since the go-go Sox era.I hear the stories about him going to see the games at Comiskey Park,and watching Fox,Little Looie,Lollar,Wynn,etc.

Plus I was born in the right era,when Harry Caray was doing the games.So just his excitement at calling the games was another great reason.

Plus,it's good to be a Sox fan as oppose to being a Cubs fan.It's call being different in my own way,and I enjoy it to this day!

chisoxmike
12-05-2004, 03:06 PM

Who am i rooting for next season? I've been a cubs fan all my life. Maybe it's time i picked up a white sox hat.
That brought a tear to my eye. Welcome to White Sox baseball.

southsider17
12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Before i say anything, i'd better mention that I am a cubs fan.........................

Who am i rooting for next season? I've been a cubs fan all my life. Maybe it's time i picked up a white sox hat.You are now HEEEEEEEAAAALED!!!!!!

:supernana:

Realist
12-07-2004, 02:57 PM
The year was 1977 and I was 12 years old. My mom was working for a realestate company out in Flossmore. Also working at this same office was a guy that once pitched for the White Sox. His name was Skip Pitlock (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pitlosk01.shtml). The company had season tickets the Sox games and although I hated baseball and loved hockey, I would go to the games with my mom, dad and brother. Our seats were right behind the visitors dug out at Old Comiskey near the the on deck circle.

It didn't take me long to fall madly in love with the White Sox, but strangely enough, I still hated baseball. I know it sounds weird, but it's the truth.

That was one fun summer watching the South Side Hitmen. We were at the double header sweep of the Royals that put the Sox in first place and I was at the very first game where "Nah nah nah nah" was played by Nancy Faust.

As time went and I began to understand the little idiosyncrasies of baseball just by watching the Sox so much, I began to love the game of baseball. Now I'll watch just about any team play no matter what level the game is at or how much is on the line.

Realist
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM

There ya go. Outta the frying pan and into the fire. :wink:

ode to veeck
12-07-2004, 03:51 PM
I started out life as a Braves fan in Milwaukee (under my mother's influence) but after we moved to Chicago in '63, my Dad and Grandfather corrected the problem and took me to games and let me steal their beers agains the YankMes, Twins and other notorious AL squads with their friends in the days of banner Sox head lines on the Tribune sports page, free home games on WGN and the "GO GO SOX" chants in the stands. Both Dad and Grandpa had been South siders / Sox fans all / most of their lives (Grandpa arrived to south side from Kentucky early years of the century).

la chispa
12-08-2004, 09:57 PM
My father was a Sox fan, but he never forced his allegiance upon me or my older brother. In fact, there are pictures of me wearing Cubs hats and shirts. What was I thinking? We asked our father, before his death, why he let us wear Cubs apparell? He said he was confident we would make the right decision on our own. He was right. The product would sell itself. The Sox consistently fielded a better team throughout my childhood(the 80's).

What really sold me was the old ballpark. I get chills when I think about walking up the steps, into the stands. How green the grass was. The smells and sounds. There was Ribbie and Roobarb, Andy The Clown, the exploding scoreboard,etc. There also was Carlton Fisk, Ron Kittle, Harold Baines, Ventura, Thomas and plenty more. When I came to fully understand the game of baseball, I became a Sox fan for life!