PDA

View Full Version : A confused Red Sox "fan"

Alanzo
11-22-2004, 01:03 PM
While the NYY were playing the Red Cubs this year in the post season, it was over my fall break from college. I go to UNC-CH. Anyway, so me and another of my friends decided to head over to Wake Forest University to see a friend of mine who goes there. My friend was throwing a party at his apartment and had some people over and the game was on. My UNC friend, knowing that I am a White Sox fan, saw a girl with some sort of weird variation of the '82-jersey. Imagine this:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/uniforms82.jpg
With the "Sox" intact but with dark red sleeves and dark red lettering minus the bright red stripes.

Now, immediately my friend says to the girl, "Hey you like the Sox too? My friend here likes the White Sox!"

She says: "No, this is a Red Sox jersey."
I said:"No, it's a White Sox jersey with stupid colors."

At that point I kind of just gave up, because it would have been the equivalent of trying to convince a bandwagoning lifetime Cubs fan straight out of Charlotte, North Carolina that, in fact, the Cubs Sucked. (There is a lot of tools in these parts)

Now, please tell me that I was right. Please tell me that the Red Sox *never* had a variation of our distinctively ugly-but-her-mother-still-thinks-shes-beautiful jerseys of the 80s.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-22-2004, 01:08 PM
I said:"No, it's a White Sox jersey with stupid colors."

Maybe she bought it in a clearance sale after she was told by a clerk that it was indeed a Red Sox jersey.

JR gets 100% credit for "A White Sox jersey with stupid colors". :tongue:

SoxFan76
11-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Alanzo, you're right. It's pointless to argue with a Red Sox/Cub fan besides the inteligent ones that visit our board frequently.

eshunn2001
11-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Maybe she bought it in a clearance sale after she was told by a clerk that it was indeed a Red Sox jersey.

JR gets 100% credit for "A White Sox jersey with stupid colors". :tongue:
Didn't we also wear Sox jesey's with red hats?? Now that was stupid coloring. Especially when there is a team named the REDsox in your league. We have had some of the worst/ Best Jersey's in baseball history.. I don't think anyone has switched more than us.

Baby Fisk
11-22-2004, 01:18 PM
A lot of historic White Sox gear is mistaken by less-intelligent people as Red Sox gear. I was once walking down the street wearing a 1971-1975 Sox cap (red with the old English Sox logo in white). Someone on the street looked at it and went "Hey, Red Sox!" as if we were both Red Sox fans. Double Moron: he didn't know it was a white sox cap, and didn't realize it wasn't a Boston cap. :rolleyes:

The only image Boston has ever had on their caps is the red "B". Back in the 20s or 30s, they briefly had a red sock on their caps. Boston has never used the word "Sox" by itself on their uniforms, always "Red Sox".

The White Sox, on the other hand, have almost always used the lone word "Sox" on their caps and uniforms with some brief exceptions of "C"s and white sock imagery through the years.

Check this out for some more historic images: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104

PaleHoseGeorge
11-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Boston has never used the word "Sox" by itself on their uniforms, always "Red Sox".

The White Sox, on the other hand, have almost always used the lone word "Sox" on their caps and uniforms with some brief exceptions of "C"s and white sock imagery through the years.

Check this out for some more historic images: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104 Here is the specific point to be made whenever you run into another insufferable dope who thinks "Sox" belongs to the Red Sox.

In 1912, the transformation was complete with the introduction of the now famous "S-o-x" logo. With the exception of five seasons (1942, 1987-90) the simple term "Sox" has adorned Sox uniforms ever since. In fact the Boston Red Sox have never used the simple "Sox" name on their uniforms, yet their insufferable fans lay claim to the moniker just the same. Media dolts across the country repeat the error, too. Well, let's consider the source, eh Sox Fans!

SouthSide_HitMen
11-22-2004, 01:29 PM
A lot of historic White Sox gear is mistaken by less-intelligent people as Red Sox gear. I was once walking down the street wearing a 1971-1975 Sox cap (red with the old English Sox logo in white). Someone on the street looked at it and went "Hey, Red Sox!" as if we were both Red Sox fans. Double Moron: he didn't know it was a white sox cap, and didn't realize it wasn't a Boston cap. :rolleyes:
I own a "Red" White Sox hat (the first White Sox team I followed / rooted for in 1975) and never had that reaction (probably because I don't wear it around the clueless Wrigleyville / Lincoln Park areas).

Never underestimate the ignorance of a bandwagon jumper (cubs / red sox)/

Baby Fisk
11-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Here is the specific point to be made whenever you run into another insufferable dope who thinks "Sox" belongs to the Red Sox.

In 1912, the transformation was complete with the introduction of the now famous "S-o-x" logo. With the exception of five seasons (1942, 1987-90) the simple term "Sox" has adorned Sox uniforms ever since. In fact the Boston Red Sox have never used the simple "Sox" name on their uniforms, yet their insufferable fans lay claim to the moniker just the same. Media dolts across the country repeat the error, too. Well, let's consider the source, eh Sox Fans!

Heh heh, thanks. I knew I read that somewhere. :redface:

havelj
11-22-2004, 02:17 PM
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1550479dt.jpg

?

Baby Fisk
11-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Havelj: who is selling THAT? :o: Is there a version with Fisk 72?

jabrch
11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Havelj: who is selling THAT? :o: Is there a version with Fisk 72?
I've seen those at NikeTown in Chicago - they had Seaver and Kittle - but no Fisk.

Baby Fisk
11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
I've seen those at NikeTown in Chicago - they had Seaver and Kittle - but no Fisk. :angry: That can't be right.

striker60657
11-22-2004, 02:40 PM
So Alonzo, I take it you didn't hook up with the chick. That was the important thing you let slip your mind that night.

34 Inch Stick
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
You are at a party and having interaction with a girl and you give up on the conversation? Man you could have argued about it in the morning after closing the deal.

Youth is wasted on the young!

Dibbs
11-22-2004, 03:19 PM
I would like to know where you got that pic of that Seaver shirt too. That is sweet and I can't find it on the internet.

jabrch
11-22-2004, 03:27 PM
They also sell it at MLB.COM...

Alanzo
11-22-2004, 04:29 PM
EXACTLY like that. But cheaper looking.

My girlfriend goes to UNC too and was my entertainment for the rest of the fall break, so I don't think there would have been much to gain by showing the lost sheep the quality of man that TRUE Sox fans are.

havelj
11-22-2004, 09:21 PM
http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1817679&cp=1452347

Dibbs
11-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the link! I just bought it. I love all Sox gear, although many people hate the designs from the early 80's.

wdelaney72
11-23-2004, 08:24 AM
You are at a party and having interaction with a girl and you give up on the conversation? Man you could have argued about it in the morning after closing the deal.

Youth is wasted on the young!
Sounds like the perspective of a man who's been married for a while. I completely agree. As a man who's been out of the market for a long time, nothing infuriates me more than when my young and single work friends do not take advantage of their demographic.

Close the deal and then argue about it in the morning.

DumpJerry
11-23-2004, 09:10 AM
I have owned about three or four red Sox caps over the years. When I wear it, people ask me what hat it is. I tell them it is a red Sox cap. They ask when did the Red Sox have a cap like it. I tell them, no...it is a red Sox cap. At the point, they usually looked very confused and walk away thinking about how Scammy Sosa looks in those Flub uniform pants...............

Alanzo
11-23-2004, 09:30 AM
My girlfriend wore my Wsox belt buckle to class yesterday. I'm sorry, that's love.

:supernana: