PDA

View Full Version : Request From Phil Arvia

Lip Man 1
11-20-2004, 07:58 PM
WSI and Sox fans.

I got an e-mail tonight from Phil Arvia, lead columnist and Sox fan with a request to all WSI readers.

As you know if you read (or will read) his column tomorrow his co-worker and colleague Joe Cowley has been diagnosed with cancer.

I don't know the extent of his illness but the sense that I get from Phil is that it is serious and the recovery will be difficult.

As many of you know Joe did have some rather tasteless moments interacting with many of us here at WSI but Phil (and I) are asking at this time that all Sox fans forgo any references to him during this time of crisis for him. According to Phil he still reads WSI from time to time and given what is going on in his life it would be very difficult to have to read comments about his illness and what some fans think of him.

So I am also asking if we Sox fans would be tasteful during this health crisis in Joe's life, and regardless of our personal opinions of him, think good thoughts for a recovery for him.

Thanks from Phil and from myself!

Lip

oeo
11-20-2004, 09:12 PM
I think everyone deserves respect either way, but put it especially towards Joe. I wish the best for him.

TornLabrum
11-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Arguing over sports is one thing, but when someone is seriously ill, then all differences should be set aside. My wishes go out to Mr. Cowley for a speedy and complete recovery.

Lip Man 1
11-20-2004, 11:00 PM
There is no question that some of his comments here at WSI especially towards Pale Hose George were in extremely bad taste. There can be no excuse or defense for those comments.

I had a run in myself with Joe that considering my comments towards him, were way overboard in their response... however as Hal said this is now life and death, and the gravity of that situation also has to be considered.

I think this is a chance for Sox fans, even though it may only be the ones who read this site, to rise above what has happened in the past and to show themselves in a good light. Don't forget what happened, but have the ability to rise above them at least during this difficult period for Joe.

But for the grace of God go you or I.

Lip

rwcescato
11-21-2004, 01:21 AM
WSI and Sox fans.

I got an e-mail tonight from Phil Arvia, lead columnist and Sox fan with a request to all WSI readers.

As you know if you read (or will read) his column tomorrow his co-worker and colleague Joe Cowley has been diagnosed with cancer.

I don't know the extent of his illness but the sense that I get from Phil is that it is serious and the recovery will be difficult.

As many of you know Joe did have some rather tasteless moments interacting with many of us here at WSI but Phil (and I) are asking at this time that all Sox fans forgo any references to him during this time of crisis for him. According to Phil he still reads WSI from time to time and given what is going on in his life it would be very difficult to have to read comments about his illness and what some fans think of him.

So I am also asking if we Sox fans would be tasteful during this health crisis in Joe's life, and regardless of our personal opinions of him, think good thoughts for a recovery for him.

Thanks from Phil and from myself!

Lip
My prayers are with you Joe.
Rich

idseer
11-21-2004, 08:33 AM
can i ask what joe's user name is?

Rocky Soprano
11-21-2004, 10:34 AM
I have a family member that is currently fighting the same situation. It's a very hard and trying time for all of us. Joe, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep your head up and keep fighting!

broker3d
11-21-2004, 12:00 PM
best of luck Joe.

SOXSINCE'70
11-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Get better,Joe.

OEO Magglio
11-21-2004, 09:46 PM
I Wish you the best Joe, get better soon.

JKryl
11-21-2004, 10:18 PM
There is no question that some of his comments here at WSI especially towards Pale Hose George were in extremely bad taste. There can be no excuse or defense for those comments.

I had a run in myself with Joe that considering my comments towards him, were way overboard in their response... however as Hal said this is now life and death, and the gravity of that situation also has to be considered.

I think this is a chance for Sox fans, even though it may only be the ones who read this site, to rise above what has happened in the past and to show themselves in a good light. Don't forget what happened, but have the ability to rise above them at least during this difficult period for Joe.

But for the grace of God go you or I.

Lip
Amen.

surfdudes
11-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Joe, get well soon, youll be in my prayers...

Mickster
11-22-2004, 08:45 AM
My prayers are with him and his family.

Fungo
11-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Joe,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. You'll get through this.

jshanahanjr
11-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Joe,
I love your White Sox reports. Your a main reason why I subscribe to the paper. Hope you get better soon!
Jim

Hangar18
11-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Ive never had a problem with Joe ......
but that being said ......... Fight the good Fight Joe and Get Well SOON

ozzman
11-22-2004, 09:52 AM
You are in our thoughts and prayers Joe, good luck with this battle.

Iwritecode
11-22-2004, 12:35 PM
can i ask what joe's user name is?

IIRC it was JCowley or something like that. I don't see it on the member list though.

Fungo
11-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Joe's article in today's Southtown...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/241sd1.htm

poorme
11-24-2004, 02:03 PM
all the best to you joe.

Kid Kip
11-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Joe Cowley has been far and away the best White Sox beat reporter in Chicago for the past few years. I wish him a speedy recorvery in his battle with cancer.
My thoughts and prayers and with you and your family.

God bless.

Ol' No. 2
11-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Is it possible to put together a sort of email get well card and have people on this board put their own messages into it?