PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see this nonsense???

SpartanSoxFan
11-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Granted, its from the Yahoo! Fantasy Sports page.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-whitesoxgarlandresig&prov=fanball&type=lgns

News
The White Sox avoided arbitration with right-hander Jon Garland (http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6396/) on Friday, signing him to a one-year contract. The deal is worth $3.4 million, according to an Associated Press report. Garland went 12-11 with a 4.89 ERA in 34 games for the White Sox in 2004.
Views
Garland will be counted on as the Sox' second or third starter again next season, depending on the transactions GM Kenny Williams makes this winter. Jon has won 12 games three straight seasons, so fantasy owners pretty much know what they are going to get from him.

***? Second or third starter? :?:

broker3d
11-20-2004, 06:35 PM
no credibility. Garland would be lucky to be our 4th starter when the season starts. It would be nice if these news sites actually did their research first. :angry:

MUsoxfan
11-20-2004, 07:03 PM
On the topic of nonsense....apparently Loaiza is gracing the pages of the White Sox 2005 calendar. Maybe we're re-signing him after all

WhiteSoxFan84
11-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Views
Garland will be counted on as the Sox' second or third starter again next season, depending on the transactions GM Kenny Williams makes this winter. Jon has won 12 games three straight seasons, so fantasy owners pretty much know what they are going to get from him.

***? Second or third starter? :?:
You haven't heard have you?

KW is pulling off a stunner; Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, and Jason Grilli for Chris Carpenter.

KW feels more confident about this trade than he did when he acquired Todd Ritchie. THIS WOULD BE A HUGE PICK UP FOR THE SOX. CARPENTER WAS IN THE WORLD SERIES LAST YEAR YOU KNOW.

Cowch44
11-20-2004, 07:22 PM

KW is pulling off a stunner; Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, and Jason Grilli for Chris Carpenter.

KW feels more confident about this trade than he did when he acquired Todd Ritchie. THIS WOULD BE A HUGE PICK UP FOR THE SOX. CARPENTER WAS IN THE WORLD SERIES LAST YEAR YOU KNOW.:tealpolice:
Get that awful color away from here.

beckett21
11-20-2004, 07:33 PM
:tealpolice:
Get that awful color away from here. At least this is more legible than this...

However, your point remains valid: accept no imitations!

Now my eyes hurt...:nuts:

Soxzilla
11-20-2004, 07:42 PM

KW feels more confident about this trade than he did when he acquired Todd Ritchie. THIS WOULD BE A HUGE PICK UP FOR THE SOX. CARPENTER WAS IN THE WORLD SERIES LAST YEAR YOU KNOW.

:chickenlittle

I was waiting for someone to use that teal police pic.:redneck

Anywho, now that I think of it ... someone mentioned loaiza coming back, which I wouldn't mind ...

if we signed RJ:rolleyes:

RJ - Buehrle - Garcia - Contreras - Loaiza would be absolutely dreamy.

hold2dibber
11-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Anywho, now that I think of it ... someone mentioned loaiza coming back, which I wouldn't mind ...

if we signed RJ:rolleyes:

RJ - Buehrle - Garcia - Contreras - Loaiza would be absolutely dreamy.
Are you replacing Garland with Loaiza because you figure Garland would be part of a trade for RJ, or would you rather have Loaiza than Garland?

BRDSR
11-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Are you replacing Garland with Loaiza because you figure Garland would be part of a trade for RJ, or would you rather have Loaiza than Garland?
I would rather have Garland. As much as Sox fans (myself included) like to get on him for not putting together a breakout season yet, he has been incredibly consistent from year to year over the past 3. These types of pitchers don't generally tend to get worse at Garland's age, they either stay the same or get better. Loaiza, on the other hand, has shown us that we can't know what to expect when he goes out to the mound on Opening Day.

GiveMeSox
11-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I would rather have Garland. As much as Sox fans (myself included) like to get on him for not putting together a breakout season yet, he has been incredibly consistent from year to year over the past 3. These types of pitchers don't generally tend to get worse at Garland's age, they either stay the same or get better. Loaiza, on the other hand, has shown us that we can't know what to expect when he goes out to the mound on Opening Day.
Young, consistent, non-injury prone guys are hard to find. At this point i would rather have garland than Kerry Wood. The cubs think hes the best thing since sliced bread but for 10 or 11 mil a year you get a guy with a career high 14 wins, an ERA usually around 4, and a guy who has health problems his entire career, and hes still only 26 or 27. I would rather take garland at 3.4 mil who will get you 12 wins almost guranteed with that same 4.5 ERA and is not injury prone at all.

SoxFan76
11-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Young, consistent, non-injury prone guys are hard to find. At this point i would rather have garland than Kerry Wood. The cubs think hes the best thing since sliced bread but for 10 or 11 mil a year you get a guy with a career high 14 wins, an ERA usually around 4, and a guy who has health problems his entire career, and hes still only 26 or 27. I would rather take garland at 3.4 mil who will get you 12 wins almost guranteed with that same 4.5 ERA and is not injury prone at all.
It's so true. I think the problem is we are expecting too much out of Headcase Jonny. He's most likely going to be a career mediocre pitcher, which isn't neccesarily a bad thing. Better than being a career long sucky pitcher. He's a solid 4th or 5th man in the rotation. Like you said, he doesn't get injured (knock on wood) and you know what you're going to get out of him. A lot of teams would love to have Jon Garland on their team.

johnny_mostil
11-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Like you said, he doesn't get injured (knock on wood) and you know what you're going to get out of him. A lot of teams would love to have Jon Garland on their team.
In 2004 he pitched 6 or more innings in 30 of his 33 starts. That doesn't sound all that impressive but it is. That's a very small number of early knockouts and it matters to your bullpen. He hasn't missed a start in forever, he doesn't get bombed, and he usually gives his team a chance to win. If the Sox didn't have him, 3/4 of the posters would want to know why the Sox didn't go get him.