PDA

View Full Version : Expos to be renamed Nationals

ondafarm
11-19-2004, 09:19 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/ats-ap_sports10nov19,1,4157917.story?coll=sns-sports-headlines

Evidently, they will wear red, white and blue caps.

Well, that's original.

I still prefer to rename them the Ordinals.

StepsInSC
11-19-2004, 10:05 PM
That kind....well....bleh. I was still holding out for Senators.

:?:

Kind of ironic, moving a team from Canada, then re-naming them the "Nationals". Kind of like when you were a kid and you would re-steal a toy from a friend and write your name on it.

SomebodyToldMe
11-19-2004, 10:18 PM
I kinda like the DC Nationals better than the Washington Nationals.

Unregistered
11-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Are they gonna be the Washington Nationals, or the DC Nationals?

Cuz I kinda like the DC Nationals better. The "DC Nationals" sounds like one of those generic names that "Baseball Stars" or "Tecmo Baseball" or some other video game gives the US team playing the other "world" teams...

SomebodyToldMe
11-19-2004, 10:32 PM
The "DC Nationals" sounds like one of those generic names that "Baseball Stars" or "Tecmo Baseball" or some other video game gives the US team playing the other "world" teams...
Hahahahaha. Yeah it does...BUT BASEBALL STARS ROCKED!

PaleHoseGeorge
11-19-2004, 10:42 PM
The best name would be Washington Generals, named for the stooges set up to lose to the Harlem Globetrotters over and over again.

:tool
"But PHG, how would the Washington Generals be any different than leaving them as the Montreal Expos?"

:ohno
"No difference at all, Bud."

mantis1212
11-19-2004, 11:31 PM
The "DC Nationals" sounds like one of those generic names that "Baseball Stars" or "Tecmo Baseball" or some other video game gives the US team playing the other "world" teams...
Exactly what I was thinking...

ondafarm
11-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Man, nobody gets my proposed name !!!!

They are in the NL.

JKryl
11-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Sounds like Bud has been thinking again. I thought the owners knew better than to let him do that again.

Jabroni
11-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Hahahahaha. Yeah it does...BUT BASEBALL STARS ROCKED!Baseball Stars on the original NES was the best baseball game EVAR!!! :thumbsup: Even if it had generic teams and players.

batmanZoSo
11-20-2004, 01:11 AM
I'm glad they at least didn't go with DC. That belongs in soccer, not baseball. But Nationals sounds so generic and early 20th century.

Now the wait for their horribly butchered uniforms...

SomebodyToldMe
11-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Baseball Stars on the original NES was the best baseball game EVAR!!! :thumbsup: Even if it had generic teams and players.
Heck yeah. Baseball Stars, RBI Baseball, Bases Loaded. Amazing!

Nick@Nite
11-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I wonder if people will call them the nat's for short? :unsure:

I hope not... nat are my initials (unless Bud sends me royalties :redneck )

Lip Man 1
11-20-2004, 01:38 PM
The Texas Rangers franchise owns the rights to the name 'Senators.' I guess MLB wasn't willing to pay for getting the name back to the Washington franchise.

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-22-2004, 02:52 AM
here is the supposed logo that will be unveiled today

FightingBillini
11-22-2004, 02:59 AM
The Texas Rangers franchise owns the rights to the name 'Senators.' I guess MLB wasn't willing to pay for getting the name back to the Washington franchise.

Lip
That wasn't the problem, they could have either forced Texas to give it up or paid them off. Selig actually said publically that he wanted the team to be named the Senators. The mayor of DC bitch and moaned "we don't have any Senators in DC, if they give us senatorial representation, we will name the team Senators. Like a typical moron, he overlooks the fact that there are 100 senators in DC, even if none of them represent the area. I was hoping the name was the Senators, but Nationals isn't that bad. Anything but the Grays.

Baby Fisk
11-22-2004, 01:11 PM
There was some unexpected action at the unveiling of the Nationals today:

Protestor decries '$614 million giveaway' (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1929069)

Just before the news conference began, a member of the D.C. Statehood Green Party went on the stage with a sign reading "Stop the $614 million giveaway." The protester, Adam Eidinger, opposes the plan by District of Columbia Mayor Anthony A. Williams' to finance a ballpark for the team, saying it will cost far more than the estimated $435 million.

Several men, including former Washington Senators announcer Charlie Brotman, jumped Eidinger. A tussle ensued, and the podium nearly fell over before security managed to drag the protester off stage. It was not immediately clear if Eidinger was arrested.

Brian26
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
here is the supposed logo that will be unveiled today

That logo is ok- I like the baseball that turns into the bunting.

doublem23
11-22-2004, 01:44 PM
It's official according to MLB.com. They've launched the Nationals' new website (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=was)and removed any trace of the Montreal Expos.

Brian26
11-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Cool- They are keeping the old style Washington Senators "cursive W" hats. That's a nice touch. It appears they will have a "DC" logo of some sort...and it looks similar to Marvel's Daredevil logo.

I can't find pics of the actual uniforms yet.

FightingBillini
11-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Cool- They are keeping the old style Washington Senators "cursive W" hats. That's a nice touch. It appears they will have a "DC" logo of some sort...and it looks similar to Marvel's Daredevil logo.

I can't find pics of the actual uniforms yet.
They havent designed the uniforms yet, they just wanted to get the hat and and logo out for the holiday rush.

Baby Fisk
11-22-2004, 02:56 PM
So far so good with the caps and the cursive W logos. I had a sinking feeling they might come up with some kind of "circus tent" multi-coloured cap (like the Sox had in the 80s) to pay tribute to Montreal, but they stuck with solid shades. :thumbsup:

Hangar18
11-23-2004, 12:48 PM
The best name would be Washington Generals, named for the stooges set up to lose to.........................over and over again.

:tool

Heh heh hehh heh hehhh heh heh heh . The name Stooge and Baseball
makes me think of Bud Selig Immediately. This keeps up, Bud is going to
rebuild all of the old teams from yester-year.