PDA

View Full Version : Sox add 6 to 40 man roster

wilburaga
11-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Pitchers Kris Honel, Matt Smith, Sean Tracey, Paulino Reynoso, plus infielders Pedro Lopez and Casey Rogowski.

Hopefully, Honel's arm issues are resolved. As for the other 5, well, you never know, but my pulse has not appreciably quickened.

W

California Sox
11-19-2004, 03:50 PM
They lost Ryan Wing to protect Matt Smith?! :?:

rdivaldi
11-19-2004, 04:33 PM
They lost Ryan Wing to protect Matt Smith?! :?:
With Wing's shoulder troubles, I don't think they expect him to be able to pitch again...

Rex Hudler
11-19-2004, 05:24 PM
With Wing's shoulder troubles, I don't think they expect him to be able to pitch again...
That's not true at all. His rehab was going fine and they were expecting him to be ready to start working out of a bullpen at the beginning of the season or hold him back for an extra week or two before moving him into a rotation.

They exposed him to waivers simply in a gamble that no other team would take a chance at a player who has already used on option and would have to use a second for a rehab season, still not having pitched above Class A.

I don't agree with the gamble, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Rex Hudler
11-19-2004, 05:26 PM
On a side note, Ruddy Yan was claimed off of waivers today by the Rangers. So you could accurately say "They lost Ruddy Yan to protect Matt Smith" if you would like. :smile:

Mohoney
11-19-2004, 07:54 PM
On a side note, Ruddy Yan was claimed off of waivers today by the Rangers.
The Rangers again?

Daver
11-19-2004, 08:11 PM
On a side note, Ruddy Yan was claimed off of waivers today by the Rangers. So you could accurately say "They lost Ruddy Yan to protect Matt Smith" if you would like. :smile:
It's a shame he never mastered the art of the HBP.

:bandance:

A. Cavatica
11-19-2004, 10:21 PM
Smith and Reynoso have no business being on the 40-man. Granted, they'll probably lose their spots as we make offseason moves, but I can't believe we couldn't find two players with more upside than these guys. How about Spidale? Yofu?

I haven't been thrilled with the way the Sox manage their roster. When Magglio went down with his injury and the Sox called up Burke, one of the reasons people gave for not calling up Reed was that he wasn't on the 40-man. (He was only the organization's best player in 2003 and one of Charlotte's best in 2004...why would you want a player like that on your 40-man?)

California Sox
11-20-2004, 12:35 AM
When Magglio went down with his injury and the Sox called up Burke, one of the reasons people gave for not calling up Reed was that he wasn't on the 40-man. (He was only the organization's best player in 2003 and one of Charlotte's best in 2004...why would you want a player like that on your 40-man?)
Reed didn't have to be on the 40 man until this year. Similarly, the Sox don't need to protect Anderson until next year.

ChiSox14305635
11-20-2004, 01:28 AM
What's up with Texas claiming all of our guys on waivers?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1926925

Just a small blurb. I'll spare you from reading the whole article.

The Rangers claimed INF Ruddy Yan off waivers from the Chicago White Sox (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=cha).

jake27
11-20-2004, 12:20 PM
:whocares ive never even heard of him...

A. Cavatica
11-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Reed didn't have to be on the 40 man until this year. Similarly, the Sox don't need to protect Anderson until next year.
Didn't have to be to protect him. But since he was obviously the best option to replace any outfielder who went down, he should've been.

The Sox were more concerned with $ than with putting the best team on the field...

johnny_mostil
11-20-2004, 01:15 PM
What's up with Texas claiming all of our guys on waivers?
Ruddy Yan was one of the players on the PTBNL list when the White Sox got Carl Everett a year and half ago, so the Rangers had him extensively scouted. John Hart like players he knows -- or has had scouted deeply. Yan has no shot with the Ranger organization to play second because of Michael Young and Ian Kinsler.

Yan's positives: only 22 (almost 23), stole a ton of bases in A ball, blindiing speed, switch hitter.

Negatives: has no power, is getting almost allergic to walks as he rises, repeated High-A ball, hit .267 in AA last year.

He's probably Willie Harris Lite.

johnny_mostil
11-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Didn't have to be to protect him. But since he was obviously the best option to replace any outfielder who went down, he should've been.Maybe if you're Oakland. I've read that scouts think Reed will be challenged in center field and that he'll never really drive the ball like a corner outfielder. The Mariners are rumored to be shopping him because they aren't sure what to do with him. Traditional baseball guys probably have trouble with Reed because they like to classify players by comparison, and he's not easy to pigeonhole, because he's not a "Juan Pierre type" or a "Rick Monday type" or a "Greg Luzinski type". He's sort of a "Mark Kotsay type" but not exactly.

Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney and, for that matter, even Alex Escobar, are much easier to "type". That's why they are still White Sox.

There are some worrisome things about Reed, too. He already has a slightl nagging injury history and his performance at Tacoma after the trade was not impressive.

A. Cavatica
11-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Reed would undoubtedly appeal to Oakland. Any team in baseball should be able to find a spot for someone who (1) bats .400 when he's hot and .300 with a good K/BB ratio when he's cold, (2) is a fundamentally sound baseball player, and (3) hustles like crazy.

But I don't want to debate Reed's future for the thousandth time on this board. I was making a point about the Sox management of the 40-man roster. Reed didn't have to be protected yet, so he wasn't rostered, even though he had little left to prove in the minors.

Instead, the Sox had Borchard on the roster, because they had $5M invested in him, and several fringe players who had no reasonable chance of contributing to the team in 2004. So when Magglio went down, who did we call up? A friggin' third catcher.