PDA

View Full Version : according to the sun times

oldcomiskey
11-19-2004, 04:09 PM
in the same article that mentions what long shots the Sox are in getting Unit, it also mentions Jose Valentin has approched the Twins about a job

CarlosMay'sThumb
11-19-2004, 04:16 PM
in the same article that mentions what long shots the Sox are in getting Unit, it also mentions Jose Valentin has approched the Twins about a job
There is absolutely NO WAY Randy Johnson would waive his no-trade clause to come to the White Sox. Impossible.

If you were one of the greatest pitchers of all time, would you want to finish your career with KW and the White Sox? I think every elite player in the league knows there is no way KW could ever bring a WS winner to the Sox. I would be astounded if KW EVER signed a major free agent.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2004, 04:19 PM
There is absolutely NO WAY Randy Johnson would waive his no-trade clause to come to the White Sox. Impossible.

If you were one of the greatest pitchers of all time, would you want to finish your career with KW and the White Sox? I think every elite player in the league knows there is no way KW could ever bring a WS winner to the Sox. I would be astounded if KW EVER signed a major free agent.
Just like Colon would never come here? I guess Colon doesnt count like a major free agent.

go troll somewhere else.

CarlosMay'sThumb
11-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Just like Colon would never come here? I guess Colon doesnt count like a major free agent.

go troll somewhere else.Uh, Colon was acquired in a trade.

Maybe you ought to learn a little White Sox history before you spout off, troll.:dtroll:

Justafan
11-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Uh, Colon was acquired in a trade.

Maybe before you ought to learn a little White Sox history before you spout off, troll.:dtroll:Edited!!

Flight #24
11-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Allow me to introduce the concept of "available options". RJ may WANT to go to NY, but if the DBacks don't like the Spankees package but do like the Sox package, the decision can be as simple as "OK Randy - do you want to stay here for a year and lost another 10-15 1 run games, or go to Chicago and probably win 20?".

I highly doubt the Sox are RJ's first, or even second or third choices. But if they are his only alternative to staying in Arizona, he'd come in a second, IMO.

Justafan
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Allow me to introduce the concept of "available options". RJ may WANT to go to NY, but if the DBacks don't like the Spankees package but do like the Sox package, the decision can be as simple as "OK Randy - do you want to stay here for a year and lost another 10-15 1 run games, or go to Chicago and probably win 20?".

I highly doubt the Sox are RJ's first, or even second or third choices. But if they are his only alternative to staying in Arizona, he'd come in a second, IMO.
This, I agree with. However, I am waiting for George to put on a full court press for RJ. But I do agree with you.

CarlosMay'sThumb
11-19-2004, 04:45 PM
No, he wasn't. He was a F/A. Get YOU'RE Sox history tuned up.
Look, buddy, Colon was acquired in a TRADE. Biddle, Liefer and Hernandez (acquired from the Yankees) went to Montreal for Colon.

Jeez.

Kilroy
11-19-2004, 04:49 PM
No, he wasn't. He was a F/A. Get YOU'RE Sox history tuned up.You must be talking out of your ass. That positioning of your mouth would explain the **** for brains.

Colon was acquired in a 3 team deal that sent EL Puke and 2 mil to the Sox from the Yankees for Antonio Osuna. The Sox sent El Puke and Rocky Biddle and Jeff Liefer to the Expos for Fatolo.

Do you need a link? http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0115/1493081.html

At least take 5 seconds to look **** up when you don't know for sure.

oldcomiskey
11-19-2004, 04:51 PM
and it aint like Randy Johnson is a free agent

Justafan
11-19-2004, 04:53 PM
You must be talking out of your ass. That positioning of your mouth would explain the **** for brains.

Colon was acquired in a 3 team deal that sent EL Puke and 2 mil to the Sox from the Yankees for Antonio Osuna. The Sox sent El Puke and Rocky Biddle and Jeff Liefer to the Expos for Fatolo.

Do you need a link? http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0115/1493081.html

At least take 5 seconds to look **** up when you don't know for sure.
Yes, I do remember. My bad. Still, there is no way Rocky is a troll and for this guy to suggest it pissed me off. I DO KNOW it was a trade, I was just not sure how he could call him out as a troll.

southsider17
11-19-2004, 04:56 PM
and it aint like Randy Johnson is a free agent
I think Carlos was just making a general statement regarding Kenny's effectiveness and how it could reflect badly to someone who would have to waive a no trade right to come here.

:dunno:

Kilroy
Yes, I do remember. My bad. Still, there is no way Rocky is a troll and for this guy to suggest it pissed me off. I DO KNOW it was a trade, I was just not sure how he could call him out as a troll.
Now you need to check your reading. It was Rocky that started hurling the troll label around.

Rocky Soprano

Maybe you ought to learn a little White Sox history before you spout off, troll.:dtroll:
I didnt mean to say Colon signed as a free agent. But he was a big name that came over to the Sox. Yeah Colon probably didnt have the right to veto the trade, but nonetheless no one expected the Sox to get him and they did.

Now, yeah its not likely the Sox will get Randy but its not like its impossible.

Sorry for the troll comment, just pisses me off when a Sox fan just goes off saying things are impossible.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the backup!

Much appreciated. :gulp:

Palehose13
KW got Wells and Colon in trades. Why not RJ?

The White Sox were on his list last year...

CarlosMay'sThumb
Well, you KNOW it now after being called out. And if you read the post from Rocky, he told me to "troll" first.

WhiteSoxFan84
My cousin said he heard someone on Fox mention that RJ will not waive his no-trade clause to come to the Sox. I think KW should focus on other SPs, namely CARL PAVANO. No one can honestly say Pavano is not interested in the Sox because he is meeting with the Tigers sometime before the Winter Meetings. If he has interest in the Tigers, he must have interest in the Sox.

Back to the Big Unit, he probably won't want to go to the BoSox either because his relationship with Curt Schilling isn't the best. The BoSox don't have the money or prospects either. The most likely destinations for RJ are St. Louis, San Francisco, and obviously New York (Yankees). I'd love to see him in St. Louis.

Justafan
11-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Now you need to check your reading. It was Rocky that started hurling the troll label around.
Ok, so they both said it. No harm, no foul.

Justafan
Well, you KNOW it now after being called out. And if you read the post from Rocky, he told me to "troll" first.
I saw it. My apologies. Lets move on.

WhiteSoxFan84
KW got Wells and Colon in trades. Why not RJ?

The White Sox were on his list last year...
You can not compare RJ to Colon and Wells. RJ is a top 10-15 pitcher of ALL-TIME. Colon and Wells would barely make the top 50. Wells might because of that perfect game in the late 90's. Colon is probably considered less valuable than Freddy Garcia.

rdivaldi
11-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Sorry guys but....

:threadsucks

CarlosMay'sThumb
11-19-2004, 05:01 PM
I didnt mean to say Colon signed as a free agent. But he was a big name that came over to the Sox. Yeah Colon probably didnt have the right to veto the trade, but nonetheless no one expected the Sox to get him and they did.

Now, yeah its not likely the Sox will get Randy but its not like its impossible.

Sorry for the troll comment, just pisses me off when a Sox fan just goes off saying things are impossible.
Oh, baloney. You absolutely meant that Colon was signed as a free agent. I'll tell you what pisses me off - a guy who calls people names and has no clue what he's talking about.

MushMouth
11-19-2004, 05:05 PM
My cousin said he heard someone on Fox mention that RJ will not waive his no-trade clause to come to the Sox. I think KW should focus on other SPs, namely CARL PAVANO. .

You do realize that Pavano is being HEAVILY pressed by the Yankees and Red Sox?

I'd say we have a better shot at getting the Unit than Pavano. Red Sox brought in Schilling to help "recruit" Pavano yesterday. He meets with the Yanks very soon... they'll get into a bidding war effectively cutting off the rest of the league.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-19-2004, 05:13 PM
You do realize that Pavano is being HEAVILY pressed by the Yankees and Red Sox?

I'd say we have a better shot at getting the Unit than Pavano. Red Sox brought in Schilling to help "recruit" Pavano yesterday. He meets with the Yanks very soon... they'll get into a bidding war effectively cutting off the rest of the league.
RJ is being chased by the Yankees also. And we'd have to give up the farm to pick him up. I said namely Pavano, there's also Matt Clement (who is probably going to sign w/ Toronto; supposedly he's worth about $5-6 million per), Derek Lowe, etc., etc. I'd love Pavano though.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Oh, baloney. You absolutely meant that Colon was signed as a free agent. I'll tell you what pisses me off - a guy who calls people names and has no clue what he's talking about.
Yeah I guess you know me so you must know exactly what I was thinking.

F/A or via trade the Sox have gotten big names in the past. So its not impossible.

Look I offered an apology, you dont have to accept it, I really dont care but I at least wanted to take the high road.

southsider17
11-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Jon Leiber should be our target! I tell ya, he's gonna be a stud starter next year.

MushMouth
11-19-2004, 05:19 PM
RJ is being chased by the Yankees also. And we'd have to give up the farm to pick him up. I said namely Pavano, there's also Matt Clement (who is probably going to sign w/ Toronto; supposedly he's worth about $5-6 million per), Derek Lowe, etc., etc. I'd love Pavano though.

I wouldn't mind Clement. However, I'm happy if we take our best shot at RJ - its worth the attempt, especially considering we seem to have the best offer out there. Whether or not he waives his no-trade is up in the air, but lets try at least!

The truth is that we're probably not going to get Pavano, Clement or Unit, so I'm gonna go back into my off-season corner and b*tch about the state of baseball salaries!
:mad:

WhiteSoxFan84
11-19-2004, 05:24 PM
F/A or via trade the Sox have gotten big names in the past. So its not impossible.
I'll give you via trade, but via FA? Who's the last ABOVE AVERAGE FA we signed? Alberte Belle? How did that go?

JR is gunshy because of that and it doesn't help that he is cheap.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2004, 05:40 PM
At the time Belle was a big name, that you cant deny. Yeah maybe it didnt work out that well...

Now Im not one to say I love the ownership or direction of this team, but dont say that they wont go out and get a big name, because thats not true.

Brian26
11-19-2004, 05:44 PM

What about Floyd Bannister? YOU need to do your homework. FWIW, nobody with 79 posts should be calling Rocky Soprano a troll.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks Brian,

Drinks on me at SoxFest. :D:

Brian26
11-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks Brian,

That could be dangerous. :D:

whitesoxwilkes
11-19-2004, 05:48 PM
What about Floyd Bannister? YOU need to do your homework. FWIW, nobody with 79 posts should be calling Rocky Soprano a troll.

:sopranos

You mess with Rocky, you mess with the whole family.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2004, 05:51 PM
:sopranos

You mess with Rocky, you mess with the whole family.
That's right you dont mess with the Sox (soprano) family. :redneck

WhiteSoxFan84
11-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks Brian,

Ummmm.... that's a pretty open invitation. I'm taking you to court if you don't hold up to that statement.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-19-2004, 06:22 PM
At the time Belle was a big name, that you cant deny. Yeah maybe it didnt work out that well...

Now Im not one to say I love the ownership or direction of this team, but dont say that they wont go out and get a big name, because thats not true.
Alberte Belle was a HUGE deal. But that was back in 1998? It's going to be 7 years and we haven't signed a very good free agent? That's pathetic.

kitekrazy
11-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Alberte Belle was a HUGE deal. But that was back in 1998? It's going to be 7 years and we haven't signed a very good free agent? That's pathetic.
I also remember JR passing up Roger Clemens because he was injury prone?

I really don't see the Sox getting anyone. What happened to that SS they had their eye on? Our biggest signing this offseason had been Jon Garland.

I have no sense of hope this team will be better next season. I've heard a lot of talk but no action. I know it's early but I see the Reinsdorf regime being a clone of the Wirtz regime.

Flight #24
11-19-2004, 09:46 PM

I really don't see the Sox getting anyone. What happened to that SS they had their eye on? Our biggest signing this offseason had been Jon Garland.

I have no sense of hope this team will be better next season. I've heard a lot of talk but no action. I know it's early but I see the Reinsdorf regime being a clone of the Wirtz regime.
To be fair, IIRC they passed on him but still made a bigname signing: Jaime Navarro. Can't blame Reinsy on that one, that's all on Schu.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Actually Belle was signed in November, 1996. It was right before the owners finally settled the CBA deal with the players. Reinsdorf set a new MLB record by paying a record $55 million for Belle. The Sox needed pitching but JR signed a clean up hitter. Why?

We didn't have to wait too long to find out. Robin Ventura broke his foot in spring training (March, 1997) and the Sox didn't have his services until the following July. That's the same month Reinsdorf called Sox Fans "crazy" and traded away several future free agents and other veterans, including Harold Baines for the second time.

Reinsdorf claims Harold is one of his favorite players so you have to wonder what he would do if Harold *wasn't* a personal favorite. Shoot him?
:?:

Did Reinsdorf sign Belle simply to spite his fellow owners for caving into the union? Well, he sure didn't do it to field a champion team. The upgraded roster lasted barely half of one season, with Reinsdorf himself throwing in the towel while only 3-1/2 games back.

Reinsdorf is right. Obviously I truly am CRAZY for still giving a **** about his third-rate outfit.

The days of signing free agents the quality of Carlton Fisk, Greg Luzinski, and Floyd Bannister are a distant and fading memory...

Daver
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM

Ron Schueler chose not to make on offer to Roger Clemens, because he wanted a three year deal minimum, and Schueler was quoted that he didn't think Clemens would be productive for three years.

Flight #24
11-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Ron Schueler chose not to make on offer to Roger Clemens, because he wanted a three year deal minimum, and Schueler was quoted that he didn't think Clemens would be productive for three years.I guess he was right from the standpoint that he's been productive for a lot longer than 3 years! :redneck

PaulDrake
11-20-2004, 12:16 PM
really don't see the Sox getting anyone. What happened to that SS they had their eye on? Our biggest signing this offseason had been Jon Garland.

I have no sense of hope this team will be better next season. I've heard a lot of talk but no action. I know it's early but I see the Reinsdorf regime being a clone of the Wirtz regime. It's looking more and more like that all the time. His Bulls are doing great too aren't they?