PDA

View Full Version : Internet Rumor: Sox Make Offer to Walker??

GiveMeSox
11-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Take it for what its worth but on the cubs version on a site like this, www.cubstalk.com, there is a report that said we offered Todd Walker a 2 year 4 mil deal. Its just another rumor, but interesting none the less.

http://mb3.scout.com/fchicagocubsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=18929.topic

Iwritecode
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
It's reported by a guy that has "inside sources" and will supposedly be "re-stringing Todd's glove next week".

I won't dismiss it right away because I know there are some people that post on message boards that do have credible sources but since I don't know this guy from Adam I'll wait until I see it somewhere else before I believe it.

kittle42
11-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Ha - what a "source." Todd Walker would probably command more than $2 mil a year, I would think, despite his being basically a bench player a good part of last year.

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
It's reported by a guy that has "inside sources" and will supposedly be "re-stringing Todd's glove next week".

I won't dismiss it right away because I know there are some people that post on message boards that do have credible sources but since I don't know this guy from Adam I'll wait until I see it somewhere else before I believe it.
I agree, but I wouldn't mind if this rumor was true and he accepted.

StillMissOzzie
11-19-2004, 02:06 PM

I won't dismiss it right away because I know there are some people that post on message boards that do have credible sources but since I don't know this guy from Adam I'll wait until I see it somewhere else before I believe it.If you scroll on down, this guy reveals that his source is Josh Booty, one-time bonus baby and Marlins farm team Kane County Cougars 3B. Not that THAT makes him any more credible - doesn't reveal the connection, if any, between Walker & Booty.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: They DID both attend LSU, but not at the same time. Walker was already in MLB by 1996, while Booty, a 2-sport jock, played all of 13 MLB games (1996-98) before going back to school to play football!

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Ha - what a "source." Todd Walker would probably command more than $2 mil a year, I would think, despite his being basically a bench player a good part of last year.Agreed. Walker would likely command more than twice that.

soltrain21
11-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Agreed. Walker would likely command more than twice that.

Last year he took a paycut to play in Chicago. Maybe he is doing the same this year with the South Siders. If I was him I wouldn't want to play for the Cubs either, bunch of babies. Maybe he just loves the city?

Tekijawa
11-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Agreed. Walker would likely command more than twice that.
Maybe he wants to play for his boyhood Idol while growing up in Venezuela?

Palehose Pete
11-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Todd's OK, but of the Walkers that the Sox could use, I would prefer that we have Larry. :smile:

Iwritecode
11-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Also interesting to note...

IF this rumor is true does that mean that Walker would be the starting second basemen next year? I seriously doubt the Sox would offer $2 million to a bench player considering that's more than the entire bench made last year put together.

kittle42
11-19-2004, 02:32 PM
IF this rumor is true
It's official...

:threadsucks

Justafan
11-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Walker is damn good hitter and certainly a grinder. However, this is a bogus story. It would have been all over the radio in Chicago if it were true.

soxfan26
11-19-2004, 02:40 PM
We need a teal :bandance:

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 02:45 PM
shouldve been picked up last year this time. Oh my goodness
how he wouldve helped the sox infield/bench, and his bat ........

:reinsy " Yeah, but your FORGETTING how much Money I
saved by NOT signing him Hangar! "

Justafan
11-19-2004, 02:51 PM
:reinsy
"Maybe I'll raise ticket prices this year. Oh, I already did that. I guarantee a 70M payroll in 2006".

California Sox
11-19-2004, 02:58 PM
If you scroll on down, this guy reveals that his source is Josh Booty, one-time bonus baby and Marlins farm team Kane County Cougars 3B. Not that THAT makes him any more credible - doesn't reveal the connection, if any, between Walker & Booty.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: They DID both attend LSU, but not at the same time. Walker was already in MLB by 1996, while Booty, a 2-sport jock, played all of 13 MLB games (1996-98) before going back to school to play football!
I hung out with Todd Walker's brother and the Walkers and the Bootys (including the brother who's a redshirt QB at USC) are very very good friends. For what it's worth.

JoseCanseco6969
11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Ha - what a "source." Todd Walker would probably command more than $2 mil a year, I would think, despite his being basically a bench player a good part of last year.
yeah if garland is worth over 3 million a year, i think Walker should be getting a little more than our beloved Judy

JoseCanseco6969
11-19-2004, 05:02 PM
i dont know about you guys, but if this is true and even if he gets 4 mil a year to start ahead of wee willie, count me in and bring in big walk!

Jerome
11-19-2004, 05:15 PM
C'mon Kenny please sign Todd Walker. He would be great as a leadoff or number 2. We need a high OBP leadoff man. The Cubs were stupid for not playing him more during the season when Grudzielanek came back. They lost so many games because dumbass Dusty preferred to play Jose Macias and Ramon Martinez for defense over the obviously better lineup of SS Grudzilanek and 2B Walker.

If you don't like his defense, just know this. No team ever won a world series because they had a gold-glove second baseman.

high OBP leadoff man>>>>>>>>>>great defense at 2B.

Brian26
11-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Walker would be a pleasant surprise. The doubleplay combination of Uribe and Walker would be a lot easier to swallow than what we're headed towards.

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Walker would be a pleasant surprise. The doubleplay combination of Uribe and Walker would be a lot easier to swallow than what we're headed towards.:?:

Walker is not very good defensively. Teams like him because of his bat.

munchman33
11-19-2004, 06:57 PM
:?:

Walker is not very good defensively.
That's the understatement of the year. I'd rather have Willie playing second with excellent speed, decent glove, and .260 average than a good offensive season from Todd Walker full of miscues and softly hit balls getting through the infield. Todd Walker is exactly the kind of offensive only signing that has caused this team to consistantly lose to the Twins.

Brian26
11-19-2004, 08:58 PM
That's the understatement of the year. I'd rather have Willie playing second with excellent speed, decent glove, and .260 average than a good offensive season from Todd Walker full of miscues and softly hit balls getting through the infield. Todd Walker is exactly the kind of offensive only signing that has caused this team to consistantly lose to the Twins.
This is just my humble opinion, but...

I think Willie will lose more games for us at the plate than Walker will in the field.

Win1ForMe
11-19-2004, 09:25 PM
This is just my humble opinion, but...

I think Willie will lose more games for us at the plate than Walker will in the field.Yeah, what Brian said. While I do hope that our defense is not ignored, I would happily trade Willie's defense for Walker's ability in the lead-off spot (something that would help our offense much more than acquiring a power hitter). In that respect, Walker is different than the other all-or-nothing hitters we've had on our team. And despite not having Willie's speed, he might just be better suited to play some of that smallball Ozzie is looking for.

DickAllen72
11-19-2004, 11:52 PM
I'd rather have Willie playing second with excellent speed, decent glove, and .260 average than a good offensive season from Todd Walker full of miscues and softly hit balls getting through the infield. Todd Walker is exactly the kind of offensive only signing that has caused this team to consistantly lose to the Twins.

Thank you!

We don't really need another DH.

DrCrawdad
11-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Take it for what its worth but on the cubs version on a site like this, www.cubstalk.com, there is a report that said we offered Todd Walker a 2 year 4 mil deal. Its just another rumor, but interesting none the less.

http://mb3.scout.com/fchicagocubsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=18929.topic

If the Sox offered 2 million a year, that's $250K more than what Walker earned last year. For the record, BaseballReference.com has the following for Walker's last few years of salary:

Cincinnati*Reds
$2,050,000

Boston*Red*Sox
$3,450,000

Chicago*Cubs
$1,750,000

wdelaney72
11-23-2004, 09:35 AM
I hung out with Todd Walker's brother and the Walkers and the Bootys (including the brother who's a redshirt QB at USC) are very very good friends. For what it's worth.
"We're Happy For Ya"