PDA

View Full Version : Farnsworth?

T-Bag
11-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Bruce Levine stated this morning on ESPN 1000 that the Sox are interested in aquiring Farny from the Cub's........thoughts?

Bobby Thigpen
11-19-2004, 08:32 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Please God, don't get this guy KW. He is absolutely terrible.

misty60481
11-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Good idea he could room with Garland--2 head cases. Cant be no worse that M. Jackson--I dont think

ja1022
11-19-2004, 08:33 AM
My immediate thought was he's the short relief version of Jon Garland (in terms of mental make up, rather than stuff).

Jjav829
11-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Only if the Cubs throw in Prior. :smile:

In other words, NO! I'd rather take a shot on Shawn Chacon.

akingamongstmen
11-19-2004, 08:36 AM
I'd love to use him and Shingo back-to-back to mess with the other team's heads. The thought of Farnsworth throwing those ridiculous 100mph heaters followed by Shingo's 55mph "changeup" has me smiling. Now if we could just get a knuckleballer, then our bullpen would be complete (I'm actually serious about this, they're invaluable).

Note: If this actually happened, you'd have to feel bad for our catchers. Catching such drastically different pitchers back-to-back would probably be really challenging.

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 08:39 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Please God, don't get this guy KW. He is absolutely terrible.That was my first thought.

But then I like this idea:

I'd love to use him and Shingo back-to-back to mess with the other team's heads. The thought of Farnsworth throwing those ridiculous 100mph heaters followed by Shingo's 55mph "changeup" has me smiling. Now if we could just get a knuckleballer, then our bullpen would be complete (I'm actually serious about this, they're invaluable).
Farnsworth can be bad, but he could be an improvement over what we currently have.

Oh, and you know Tori Hunter wouldn't have been standing if Farns was in there last year instead of Mike Jackson. I like his attitude.

jabrch
11-19-2004, 08:40 AM
It would depend on the cost...I wouldn't give them much for him. But he has had a few good years in the past. Last year was not one of them. I'd consider Farnsworth if it was a low cost (in terms of what we'd have to trade) move.

southsider17
11-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Almost every fiber in me says "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!"

ALMOST!

But a little voice in me says he's shown flashes and maybe away from the glare of cubdom he can allow his talent to come thru. If he comes cheap, maybe the Sox should give him a shot. Whether he flies or flops, a 100 MPH arm is always worth something come the trade deadline, either way. :dunno:

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Almost every fiber in me says "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!"

ALMOST!

But a little voice in me says he's shown flashes and maybe away from the glare of cubdom he can allow his talent to come thru. If he comes cheap, maybe the Sox should give him a shot. Whether he flies or flops, a 100 MPH arm is always worth something come the trade deadline, either way. :dunno:
Yeah. I agree. I mean the Sox went with Cotts, Adkins, and Jackson last season...I suppose Farnsworth would be an upgrade.

I'm not jumping up and down hoping that they get him, but I won't be upset if they do...if the price is right (low level player).

OG4LIFE
11-19-2004, 08:45 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i see him as a potential major chemistry problem, in addition to his performance problems....

its not that i know the guy, but i just can't see him in a white sox uniform, doing well... in fact, he could be a cheap version of rob dibble (at least dibs was good at one point)

JKryl
11-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Are they crazy? Wasn't once enough? I'd rather se Billy Koch. Well, maybe not, but anyway, NO, NO, NO.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.

jabrch
11-19-2004, 08:49 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i see him as a potential major chemistry problem, in addition to his performance problems....

its not that i know the guy, but i just can't see him in a white sox uniform, doing well... in fact, he could be a cheap version of rob dibble (at least dibs was good at one point)

Chemistry problem? I haven't heard a problem with his "chemistry" unless you are talking about his reported alcohol issues in the past...

Sad
11-19-2004, 08:59 AM
yeah he'd be great to have if we get into a brawl :redneck

that guy's a weightlifter in a baseball uniform- no thanks

Justafan
11-19-2004, 09:05 AM
And exactly what would the Cubs want in return? If he ever matured, he would be dominant. Not sure about this move.

Fungo
11-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Oh, and you know Tori Hunter wouldn't have been standing if Farns was in there last year instead of Mike Jackson. I like his attitude. I like this part. Set the tone on April 8th at the Baggy Dome.

kittle42
11-19-2004, 09:14 AM
He'll be good if he can ever be more than a pumped-up version of Matt Anderson.

Justafan
11-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Certainly this would be a move to counter the Magglio signing by the Cubs. KW and JR can't be outdone.

Ol' No. 2
11-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Are they crazy? Wasn't once enough? I'd rather se Billy Koch. Well, maybe not, but anyway, NO, NO, NO.Actually, I think I would rather have Billy Koch back. I don't care if he throws 500 mph. It doesn't do much good if he can't get them in the strike zone.

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Trust me, you guys don't want him. I have loved watching him pitch with my buddy who is a die-hard Cubs fan. The reason I love watching him pitch is because he's a firestarter. The guy has no head for the game at all. Farnsworth walks people and then falls apart. He is a headcase just like LaTroy Hawkins. Just look at his career numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6210). They aren't even good. 4.78 career ERA in the N.L.? That just plain sucks. He is overhyped by the fact that he can throw a 100+ MPH fastball. He is good when he has his slider working but he doesn't use it enough. But he has had 6 years in the big leagues to improve and he hasn't.

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Actually, I think I would rather have Billy Koch back. I don't care if he throws 500 mph. It doesn't do much good if he can't get them in the strike zone.BINGO!

SoxxoS
11-19-2004, 10:16 AM
I disagree with most...I would like this move. There is nothing more "The Farn" (worst nickname EVER from Chimpy) needs than a change of scenery...even from the urine soaked ivy of Wrigley.

With this team and budget...YOU NEED TO TAKE CHANCES. That is why I was all for acquiring Garcia LAST off-season.

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 10:23 AM
I disagree with most...I would like this move. There is nothing more "The Farn" (worst nickname EVER from Chimpy) needs than a change of scenery...even from the urine soaked ivy of Wrigley.

With this team and budget...YOU NEED TO TAKE CHANCES. That is why I was all for acquiring Garcia LAST off-season.Actually, it's "The Farns". :tongue:

FightingBillini
11-19-2004, 10:25 AM
If we dont have to give up too much, I would make this trade. While Farnsworth is a nut, he has unbelievable stuff. If Coop can fix his stuff/head, he will be great. Any former players or analysts that talk about the guy are amazed. They say that if he straightens up, he will be unhittable. He has the stuff of Gagne.

Nick@Nite
11-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Sox uniform as long as he came cheap.

The upside is he obviously has the physical tools. A change of scenery, even if it's only to the other side of town, could help him in the head.

The downside is that last year was the G in Gas-can.

Ol' No. 2
11-19-2004, 10:28 AM

With this team and budget...YOU NEED TO TAKE CHANCES. That is why I was all for acquiring Garcia LAST off-season.If you want to take chances, why not get Billy Koch back? Actually, there is one thing Farnsworth needs more than a chance of scenery - a new head.

I have an infallible test for relievers. It's called the "Oh, ****!" test. If you look down in the bullpen and see him warming up, and your first reaction is "Oh, ****! Not HIM!", he's failed the test. Apply that test to Farnsworth.

Fungo
11-19-2004, 10:44 AM
If you want to take chances, why not get Billy Koch back? Actually, there is one thing Farnsworth needs more than a chance of scenery - a new head.

I have an infallible test for relievers. It's called the "Oh, ****!" test. If you look down in the bullpen and see him warming up, and your first reaction is "Oh, ****! Not HIM!", he's failed the test. Apply that test to Farnsworth.Then why in the world would you bring up Koch's name?

BINGO

santo=dorf
11-19-2004, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't mind it, considering how well Farnsworth pitches in odd numbered years.:tongue:

I would be worried to see what we would have to give up to get him, because this deal reeks of the Matt Karchner deal. But we did get THEE Jon Garland from the Cubs. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping the Scrubs trade him for Chacon.

dcb33
11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
If we can get him on the cheap, why the hell not go for it?
How awesome would it be if he finally got his head on straight and became the dominant pitcher people think he could become while with the Sox? The opportunities this would create to taunt Cubs fans would be amazing!
Just imagine- Farnsy comes in to set up Shingo as the Sox go on to sweep the Cubs in the Crosstown series.

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 10:59 AM
If you want to take chances, why not get Billy Koch back? Actually, there is one thing Farnsworth needs more than a chance of scenery - a new head.

I have an infallible test for relievers. It's called the "Oh, ****!" test. If you look down in the bullpen and see him warming up, and your first reaction is "Oh, ****! Not HIM!", he's failed the test. Apply that test to Farnsworth.:) LOL, so true.

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
How awesome would it be if he finally got his head on straight and became the dominant pitcher people think he could become while with the Sox? The opportunities this would create to taunt Cubs fans would be amazing!
Just imagine- Farnsy comes in to set up Shingo as the Sox go on to sweep the Cubs in the Crosstown series.Because I'm thinking that the Cubs will want Carlos Lee for Farnsworth + prospects. They do need a LF'er and the Sox want to dump one of either Lee or Konerko's contract. I'd rather not lose El Caballo. Trading Konerko would be the better option in my opinion.

EDIT: I was not suggesting that we trade Konerko for Farnsworth. I meant that trading Konerko over Lee for a starting pitcher would be the more ideal thing to do; not for Farnsworth. I wouldn't want Farnsworth on this team at all but I think the Cubs would want Carlos Lee FOR Farnsworth + prospects. They do need a left fielder afterall.

Takatsufan
11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Hell no. :angry:

dcb33
11-19-2004, 11:04 AM

I have an infallible test for relievers. It's called the "Oh, ****!" test. If you look down in the bullpen and see him warming up, and your first reaction is "Oh, ****! Not HIM!", he's failed the test. Apply that test to Farnsworth.
The Sox problem is the only the only two guys we have who can pass the test are Marte and Shingo...:redneck

duke of dorwood
11-19-2004, 11:07 AM
That works for me.

Ol' No. 2
11-19-2004, 11:08 AM
The Sox problem is the only the only two guys we have who can pass the test are Marte and Shingo...:redneckI would add Politte to that list. He wasn't awesome, but he was adequate.

dcb33
11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Because I'm thinking that the Cubs will want Carlos Lee for Farnsworth + prospects. They do need a LF'er and the Sox want to dump one of either Lee or Konerko's contract. I'd rather not lose El Caballo. Trading Konerko would be the better option in my opinion.If that were the case, I'd want to know what the Cubs are smoking, because that's a pretty one sided deal.

I was thinking more along the lines of trading Borchard, Grilli, or someone similar to them + cash considerations for Farnsworth.

Baby Fisk
11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Farnsworth on the Sox? OMG no!

dcb33
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I would add Politte to that list. He wasn't awesome, but he was adequate.
Politte was very inconsistent, but servicable. I guess it really depended on the day of the week whether or not he would pass the test.

Palehose Pete
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Wait, did I hear someone suggest that we send over Paulie for that headcase gas-can of a middle-reliever Farnsworth? Ummm, no, that is a bad idea. As someone else on this board stated, despite his vaunted 100 mph pitch, Farnsworth's numbers are not that great. More importantly, I think that they are certainly not good enough to merit trading away one of the better offensive forces that we have on this team. Plus, I have my doubts that "The Farns" is a team player. Wasn't he one of the group of pitchers who broke his hand by slamming it into something near the end of last season? Why would we want to bring a chuckle-head like that with his numbers over to the South Side? We're not desperate.

fuzzy_patters
11-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Farnsworth by the numbers:

2004 ERA 4.72
Career ERA 4.78
2004 ERA+ 96
2004 ERA+ 93

Kyle Farnsworth is terrible. No thank you.

Rocky Soprano
11-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Wait, did I hear someone suggest that we send over Paulie for that headcase gas-can of a middle-reliever Farnsworth? Ummm, no, that is a bad idea. As someone else on this board stated, despite his vaunted 100 mph pitch, Farnsworth's numbers are not that great. More importantly, I think that they are certainly not good enough to merit trading away one of the better offensive forces that we have on this team. Plus, I have my doubts that "The Farns" is a team player. Wasn't he one of the group of pitchers who broke his hand by slamming it into something near the end of last season? Why would we want to bring a chuckle-head like that with his numbers over to the South Side? We're not desperate.
Who suggested this?

I have shovel with their name on it. :redneck

wdelaney72
11-19-2004, 11:34 AM
No.

Justafan
11-19-2004, 11:42 AM
If that were the case, I'd want to know what the Cubs are smoking, because that's a pretty one sided deal.
http://wgnradio.com/sports/photos/cubsbooth02baylorpressconfthm.gif (http://wgnradio.com/sports/photos/cubsbooth02baylorpressconf.htm) "Did someone say one sided deal? Are we dealing with the White Sox, or Pirates"?

santo=dorf
11-19-2004, 11:43 AM
FWIW, Farnsworth's stats since becoming a full-time reliever;

Even numbered years:1.66 WHIP, 9.36 K/9 , 6.05 ERA
Odd Numbered years: 1.16 WHIP, 11.31 K/9, 3.00 ERA

I wouldn't mind him for only 2005.

Risk
11-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Let me think about this... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Risk

StillMissOzzie
11-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Just imagine- Farnsy comes in to set up Shingo as the Sox go on to sweep the Cubs in the Crosstown series.
I would also say that the Sox look into getting Nuke LaLoosh as a low-cost, low-risk experiment. I'm worried about any of these nut jobs that injure themself in the course of blaming an inanimate object for their failures. (Farns kicking the electric fan, Kevin Brown punching a wall, ...)
Folks, this head case was also AWOL for the final sCrUBS game of the year, but hardly any mention of it was made in the press because a certain much higher paid head case got all the press that day.

:shammy
"Whatchoo lookin' at me for?"

SMO
:gulp:

I_Liked_Manuel
11-19-2004, 12:57 PM
is he still gonna get wasted at the cubbie bear?

Jabroni
11-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Does anyone remember when Farnsworth was windsurfing and getting trashed at the beach until the morning before he had to pitch in a day game during the Cubs' run to win the division in 2003?

SoxxoS
11-19-2004, 01:17 PM

There are plenty of relievers that changed scenery and thrived. I am not saying sign him for 4 years and 30 million, but the guy is untouchable when he is on.

Ol' No. 2
11-19-2004, 01:25 PM
There are plenty of relievers that changed scenery and thrived. I am not saying sign him for 4 years and 30 million, but the guy is untouchable when he is on.Which happens at least twice a year.

SoxxoS
11-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Which happens at least twice a year.

What are you talking about. You would be a great GM, I mean...why take chances on anybody? Once they have been somewhere and struggled, they can never be good again. You are right. :rolleyes:

Fungo
11-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Which happens at least twice a year.
For someone who has been driving the "bring back Billy Koch" bandwagon, who's already tried the change of scenery route, you're awfully hard on Farnsworth. I think getting away from the cubs and wrigley field might be just what this guy needs. If a fair trade came about, I'd take a chance on the guy, but remember folks, this is all merely speculation at this point.

Ol' No. 2
11-19-2004, 01:54 PM
For someone who has been driving the "bring back Billy Koch" bandwagon, who's already tried the change of scenery route, you're awfully hard on Farnsworth. I think getting away from the cubs and wrigley field might be just what this guy needs. If a fair trade came about, I'd take a chance on the guy, but remember folks, this is all merely speculation at this point.I'd be all for him getting away from the Cubs. I suggest Minnesota as his next destination.

Justafan
11-19-2004, 01:58 PM
I'd be all for him getting away from the Cubs. I suggest Minnesota as his next destination.Bringing back Koch is nothing short of genius. You must apply for the GM spot.

kittle42
11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Does anyone actually read anything anyone else says? This thread is full misconstruals.

Mohoney
11-19-2004, 02:23 PM
If you want to take chances, why not get Billy Koch back?

Why not get both, if they're cheap? Are we that attached to the great Jon Adkins?

Get both these guys for the earlier innings and hope one of them (or both) breaks out/returns to form. I actually like this idea; as long as our rotation is revamped with a dominant innings-eater like Johnson at the top, and Shingo anchors the closer's role as well as he did last year, there should be less of a burden on these guys. Koch and Farnsworth basically take the place of Adkins and Jackson, which is fine by me.

Cotts
Koch
Farnsworth
Politte
Marte
Shingo

Honestly, I could go to war with this bullpen, if we revamp the rotation. Of course, I would rather have somebody better to put at the back end, but Percival has already signed and I don't really want to overpay Benitez, who is also a dicey proposition himself.

Ol' No. 2
11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
:bkoch: Gasoline

http://i.cnn.net/si/images/baseball/mlb/players/6210.jpg Napalm

Any questions?

OEO Magglio
11-19-2004, 04:28 PM
If Kyle comes cheap I would actually love to take a chance on him.

chisoxgeo1
11-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Ya know for a fall down drunk like "THE FARNS" he just needs time to sleep it off

take a look at his day night splits

day ERA 6.25 in 43 appearances
night ERA 2.39!!! in 29 appearances

hosieryofthegods
11-19-2004, 05:23 PM
How about:

Farnsworth
Politte
Jackson
Koch
R. White
:)

Blueprint1
11-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Ya know for a fall down drunk like "THE FARNS" he just needs time to sleep it off

take a look at his day night splits

day ERA 6.25 in 43 appearances
night ERA 2.39!!! in 29 appearances
well ive heard from a source that he has a serious cocane prob so that could be part of the bad day ERA

kitekrazy
11-19-2004, 07:27 PM
If we dont have to give up too much, I would make this trade. While Farnsworth is a nut, he has unbelievable stuff. If Coop can fix his stuff/head, he will be great. Any former players or analysts that talk about the guy are amazed. They say that if he straightens up, he will be unhittable. He has the stuff of Gagne.
Coop the answer for Farnsworth? SHow me one person on the Sox staff under Coop did better in 2004 than 2003?

MRKARNO
11-19-2004, 07:34 PM
不, nr, non, nein, αριθ., いいえ, 아니다, não, нет,

NO

Jjav829
11-19-2004, 11:56 PM
I would also say that the Sox look into getting Nuke LaLoosh as a low-cost, low-risk experiment. I'm worried about any of these nut jobs that injure themself in the course of blaming an inanimate object for their failures. (Farns kicking the electric fan, Kevin Brown punching a wall, ...)
Folks, this head case was also AWOL for the final sCrUBS game of the year, but hardly any mention of it was made in the press because a certain much higher paid head case got all the press that day.

:shammy
"Whatchoo lookin' at me for?"

SMO
:gulp:
According to Levine, Farnsworth was actually in the trainers room for the final game. He seemed adamant that the Sun Times story was inaccurate.

Wait, did I actually see someone compare Farnsworth's stuff to Gagne's? :o:

Jabroni
11-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Wait, did I actually see someone compare Farnsworth's stuff to Gagne's? :o:Maybe Gagne's stuff when he was a starting pitcher.

:)