PDA

View Full Version : Will Carroll's co-blogger on the White Sox and Hispanic players

MRKARNO
11-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Scott Long, a White Sox fan who shares a blog with Will Carroll (it's titled Will Carroll's blog, but three people write on it, including Carroll) writes:

A New Business Plan on the South Side of Chicago?

by scottlong
Since the White Sox hired Ozzie Guillen last year, it seems to me they have positioned themselves to focus on obtaining Hispanic baseball players. Considering the high percentage of quality Hispanic players, plus the growing Hispanic population, it seems like this is a new business model to observe.

Guillen, who can be difficult to understand in English, seems to have great comraderie with fellow Spanish-speaking players, so I would guess he would appeal to Hispanic baseball fans, also. Considering that the White Sox canít really expect to grow their fanbase with native Chicagoans, as most are already Cub fans, appealing to the fastest growing part of the cityís population, Hispanics, seems to be a good bottom line decision. (I know Arte Moreno has stated heís trying to market the Angels to Hispanics to increase the teamís fanbase.)

Despite ďfailingĒ to sign targeted shortstops Omar Vizquel and Christian Guzman, the White Sox seem to be focused on adding more Hispanic players for their dugout. By creating an atmosphere catering to Hispanic players, this would logically seem to make it a more attractive place for them to want to sign with.

Just like some players sign for less to play with a winner or to be in a major market, by creating an atmosphere of comfort for players who speak English as a second language, might this not be a different twist on cutting costs? Iím not sure the White Sox have done this by complete design and I would really doubt they would admit it, even if they did, but itís something worth watching.

(By the way, I havenít read anyone in the major media discuss this concept in any detail and Iím guessing that is the case because of the fear the discussion of race or nationality creates, especially to White-male writerís, which is the makeup of almost every baseball writer in the country.) Thoughts?

Magglios_Girl
11-18-2004, 10:26 PM
especially to White-male writerís, which is the makeup of almost every baseball writer in the country :bs:

infohawk
11-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Scott Long, a White Sox fan who shares a blog with Will Carroll (it's titled Will Carroll's blog, but three people write on it, including Carroll) writes:

Thoughts?
Thanks for posting this opinion.

I have actually thought about such a theory for several months. It does make a great deal of sense from a marketing perspective. There certainly does at least exist evidence to support the contention that the Sox are working toward building a Latino "brand" for the ballclub. I don't think that any "plan" involves a decision to only acquire Latino players, but I think that there could be an effort, all things being equal, to pursue Latino athletes via trade or free agency. Think about some of the names that have been bantered about by Sox management over the past year with regard to completed or attempted trades/free agent signings. Odalis Perez, Omar Vizquel, Timo Perez, Freddy Garcia, Wilson Valdez, Juan Uribe, Robbie Alomar, Jr. (part 2), and Carlos Beltran.

There are legitimate counter arguments as well. Many of the aforementioned players could simply have been targets because they are, after all, good players. One would also be correct to point out that the White Sox have been suiting up Latino players for years [Ordonez, Lee, Colon, Marte, Guillen, Alvarez, Fernandez, Cora, Hernandez, Sosa (shudder), Rios and Olivo to name a few].

All things considered, I do give some degree of credence to the idea that the Sox may be making an effort to reach out to a particular demographic. In this case it would be Latinos. Why not? Both political parties are doing it. So do the Cubs. They already have the market cornered for floppy hat-wearing yuppies who occasionally glance over at a ballgame while guzzling beer and staring at half-naked women working on their tans.

FightingBillini
11-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Sure, the Sox are marketing more to Latinos. Example No.1 - I saw the Sox play the Braves on PanAmerican night. Between innings they played Latino music and they had a mini concert afterwards. It was a good time, and I saw more Hispanic people at that game than at any other in 2004. Its a very good marketing strategy. Reach all the markets you can. It only takes one trip to the ballpark for a kid to fall in love with the White Sox. Any theme days or other things that get kids to come to the games is great. I'm not saying they hired Ozzie just because he was Latino, I think they hired him more for his charisma than anything else. He is a loveable guy. I just hope JR realizes what it would mean to this franchise to bring in Carlos Beltran. He is one of the once in a generation at his position guys. Besides the fact that he is great and he immediately becomes the new face of the franchise, he would create unlimited marketing potential in the hispanic communities. However, this ownership seems to always think short term, and $17 mil a year IS a lot of money for one player.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Maybe the Sox will return to Channel 44 as their main broadcast station in will be in Spanish. It will not effect my (or many other) Sox fans as we already put the mute on Hawk and Jackson and listen to Farmer & Rooney when the Sox are on TV.

It appears the Sox approach to Hispanic player acquisitions is the same as many building contractors - drive to certain corners in Pilsen to look for day laborers and pay them as little as possible.

I would like to see our many holes filled by Hispanic players

SS Edgar Renteria (or Orlando Cabrera)
3B Adrian Beltre
SP Pedro Martinez
RP Armando Benitez

Too bad Arte Moreno didn't buy the White Sox.

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
I brought my cub fan friend to USCF last season (2003) and she said "Wow...your team is...um..."ethnic"?" I had to laugh cause she looke d alittle uncomfortable saying that.

Anyway, I think the Sox have been Latino-friendly for as long as I can remember (and in my opinion, they are some of the best ballplayers) and I think with Ozzie there is even more focus on obtaining Latino players...and that is fine with me.

Magglios_Girl
11-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Maybe the Sox will return to Channel 44 as their main broadcast station in will be in Spanish. It will not effect my (or many other) Sox fans as we already put the mute on Hawk and Jackson and listen to Farmer & Rooney when the Sox are on TV.

Every thursday, channel 44 has something called "Bateando con Ozzie" (Batting with Ozzie) and they interview him. It's pretty cool...especially because Dusty Baker doesn't have a translator :tongue:

Tekijawa
11-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I've heard the bulls are trying a simmilar strategy, they are going after a bunch of guys who are horrible at basketball to attract the fans out there that didn't have the talent to make it to the NBA.

eshunn2001
11-19-2004, 02:46 PM
I've heard the bulls are trying a simmilar strategy, they are going after a bunch of guys who are horrible at basketball to attract the fans out there that didn't have the talent to make it to the NBA.
LOL, I dunno, it seems to be working

rdivaldi
11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Considering that the White Sox canít really expect to grow their fanbase with native Chicagoans, as most are already Cub fans

WHAT???!!!!

:angry:

That's utter crap. I'd say a large portion of Flubbie fans are transplants. When it comes to NATIVE Chicagoans, I'd say the split is pretty close.

Jerome
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
A business plan?

I'd like to know a few things before we announce our new business plan:

What is the average racial makeup of MLB crowds? (I imagine pretty white)

What % of season ticket holders are hispanic?

(for fun) What % of WSI members are hispanic?