PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1000: Home of the Cubs??

Justafan
11-18-2004, 04:37 PM
I could swear I am listening to Kerry Wood in studio right now with Mac, Jurko and Harry. Wait, I am. Nothing like the Sox flagship talking up the Cubs. Very encouraging news for a Sox station.

ilsox7
11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
I could swear I am listening to Kerry Wood in studio right now with Mac, Jurko and Harry. Wait, I am. Nothing like the Sox flagship talking up the Cubs. Very good business sense.
Unfortunately it is a sad reality that in Chicago today, more people are interested in the Cubs. Therefore, it's actually in WMVP's best interests to talk about the Cubs, b/c in theory, there is a bigger audience for them right now, meaning they will attract more listeners by talking about the Cubs.

kittle42
11-18-2004, 05:04 PM
I could swear I am listening to Kerry Wood in studio right now with Mac, Jurko and Harry. Wait, I am. Nothing like the Sox flagship talking up the Cubs. Very encouraging news for a Sox station.
To think that just because they are the station that airs Sox ballgames that they should ignore the Cubs/not talk about the Cubs/not interview Cub players is ludicrous.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
As Les Grobstein has posted numerous times, it is being done deliberately to force Uncle Jerry to pick up his toys and go elsewhere. ESPN Radio is tired of him and his teams.Lip

EvilJester99
11-18-2004, 06:01 PM
If you think thats bad you should listen to Kotex boy and Silverman in the morning show. Its a total Scrubs love fest and Kotex boy bashing the Sox and mainly Reinsdorf. :angry:

munchman33
11-18-2004, 07:05 PM
To think that just because they are the station that airs Sox ballgames that they should ignore the Cubs/not talk about the Cubs/not interview Cub players is ludicrous.
Tell that to AM 720.

Viva Magglio
11-18-2004, 07:22 PM
The Sox will soon have a new flagship, hopefully 670 AM (barring this Infinity-XM-MLB potty match).

Etownsox13
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM

What? You want them to talk about the Bulls

:anon:

Kogs35
11-18-2004, 08:16 PM
The Sox will soon have a new flagship, hopefully 670 AM (barring this Infinity-XM-MLB potty match).
dont bet on it im in nyc right now and it was a big thing on the radio a few days ago.

kittle42
11-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Tell that to AM 720.
Then 720 is unprofessional.

CHISOXFAN13
11-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Tell that to AM 720.
I've heard KW on with Kaplan and Waddle several times.

How do you think the ratings would be if ESPN Radio ditched all Cubs talked and ignored everything non White Sox related?

It's business, people. Geez

kittle42
11-18-2004, 11:19 PM
I've heard KW on with Kaplan and Waddle several times.

How do you think the ratings would be if ESPN Radio ditched all Cubs talked and ignored everything non White Sox related?

It's business, people. GeezNO! They are the Sox' flag station! They have to ignore the Cubs completely even though wanting them to do so makes us hypocrites for criticizing radio/newspapers when they give the Cubs more coverage!

StillMissOzzie
11-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Kerry Wood is pimping his celebrity bowling event/ Cheap Trick concert this weekend. He and his lovely wife Sarah were also on the noon news on WGN TV. I'm sure he appreciated the free pub, even if it was on "our" flagship station.

MJ&H can't have a Cub on? Then WBBM-AM 780 should blow a gasket when MJ&H feature a Bear player? I think you're over-reacting this time.

SMO
:gulp:

MUsoxfan
11-19-2004, 12:28 AM
MJ&H can't have a Cub on? Then WBBM-AM 780 should blow a gasket when MJ&H feature a Bear player? I think you're over-reacting this time.

SMO
:gulp:

I happen to agree here. As much of a Sox lover and Cubs hater I am, I have to say that sports stations have a right to promote the Chubs to a certain extent. I don't know if 720 has any Sox news for the plain and simple fact that I don't listen to the station and they don't have any notable sports talk shows (besides that of Cubs pre/post) I wouldn't expect any notable show to be only Cubs or only Sox. Both teams have agendas and both agendas are worth taking to the listeners. For as much as MJ&H are promoting the Cubs, they also promote the Sox. People on this board never complain when there's alot of Sox talk. There happens to be lots of Cubs news right now with the firing of both TV announcers and that their biggest contract player has become enemy #1. I may hate the Cubs more than any of you combined, but I realize when there's news

JKryl
11-19-2004, 09:50 AM
As Les Grobstein has posted numerous times, it is being done deliberately to force Uncle Jerry to pick up his toys and go elsewhere. ESPN Radio is tired of him and his teams.Lip
What's point? They both have to stay until the end of the contract, and if they don't want the Sox then, the hell with them.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.

Justafan
11-19-2004, 09:59 AM
I'll tell what I do know for sure. I do know that the Cubs, without a shadow of a doubt, have taken over this town like never before. They are adored by the media and fans, they are adored nationally, they are marketed nationally, they have a national following much like the Yankees and Red Sox and if it was the media's agenda to put them over the top, they have done it.

They now have players wanting to play for them, when they were laughed at before. They are on ESPN, or Fox, a million times a year. I ask you this, how do you suppose it got to be that way?

Jerry, care to say anything?

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately it is a sad reality that in Chicago today, more people are interested in the Cubs. Therefore, it's actually in WMVP's best interests to talk about the Cubs, b/c in theory, there is a bigger audience for them right now, meaning they will attract more listeners by talking about the Cubs.
Actually, the Media beget all of this. They started talking and talking and hyping and talking and schmoozing and talking and hyping and propogandizing and talking about the cubs ...... which then got more "fans", which then excused the media for talking even more about the cubs, which then got them even more "fans", which gave them TWICE as many excuses to talk about the cubs, which Gave the Cubs Three times the fans they ever had, which gave the Chicago Media Four times the amount of media airplay the cubs get, which got the Cubs Four times more fans , which the Media figured they had to keep up with the demand, and gave the cubs 5X the amount of Media Coverage, which got the Cubs 5X the amount of "fans",
....... I think you get the picture. its all media created.

"People are more interested" is how the Chicago Media legitimizes the
blatant propogandization of the North Side Team. The Media Creates Fan Interest, NOT the other way around.

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 10:33 AM
If I were the Chairman of a company, and In the 22 years of me running the company, I am able to make my product so Worthless, and so Uninteresting to my consumers, would I be FIRED? If I was to STRENGTHEN my competitor
to the point they are DOMINATING me in the market ...... Should I be fired?

Justafan
11-19-2004, 10:36 AM
If I were the Chairman of a company, and In the 22 years of me running the company, I am able to make my product so Worthless, and so Uninteresting to my consumers, would I be FIRED? If I was to STRENGTHEN my competitor
to the point they are DOMINATING me in the market ...... Should I be fired?
He is the boss, Hangar. How can he be fired? To answer the question, yes, you would be if you were not the boss.

robertks61
11-19-2004, 10:39 AM
The media tells us (Cub fans) how great the Cubs are, we believe them!

Kogs35
11-19-2004, 10:39 AM
oy veh i cant stand these types of threads anymore. things change over time. for example the regime at espn1000. goes from pro sox to anti sox and pro cubs and then to pro sox and cubs. see the firing of bob synder to see why things have changed over there. if bob synder was still there the cubs show would still be there not chicago baseball today. the tearm flagship isnt really a term anymore because its all about ratings. you really think espn1050 in nyc isnt going to talk about the giants and just concetrait on the jets even though there the home of the jets? come on unfortunatly its something you live with. espn1050 was dying with out pbp. they have the jets and they have the knicks. and if they get the mets how do u think michael kay who broadcasr yankees games for yes will handle it? hes going to talk both. so you got to live with it, and with the infinaty radio telling stations no new contracts with mlb teams uncle jerry may have to stay put or goto fm which is a possible if he cant ignore mariotti and just live it.

ilsox7
11-19-2004, 10:40 AM
He is the boss, Hangar. How can he be fired? To answer the question, yes, you would be if you were not the boss.
He doesn't own a majority of the company though. It's like a President and CEO being removed by the board of directors. If JR owned 51% of the Sox, then there really wouldn't be a way to fire him. But if his partners, who own 95% of the team, told him he was out, then he'd be out.

Lip Man 1
11-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Kryl:

No they don't have to stay. Uncle Jerry has the option at anytime to void the deal and leave. Normally this would result in a breech of contract suite however ESPN Radio 1000 would do nothing but open the door for them as they were leaving.

They are getting murdered money wise with the terms of the deal between ESPN Radio 1000 and the Sox/Bulls. They can't sell advertising because the teams are so bad and are losing money by the bucketfuls.

They'd LOVE to show them the door and are doing everything they can to piss off good ol' Uncle Jerry so that he'll do it. Expect to see more of this (i.e. extending Mariotti's show...)

Lip

Kogs35
11-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Kryl:

No they don't have to stay. Uncle Jerry has the option at anytime to void the deal and leave. Normally this would result in a breech of contract suite however ESPN Radio 1000 would do nothing but open the door for them as they were leaving.

They are getting murdered money wise with the terms of the deal between ESPN Radio 1000 and the Sox/Bulls. They can't sell advertising because the teams are so bad and are losing money by the bucketfuls.

They'd LOVE to show them the door and are doing everything they can to piss off good ol' Uncle Jerry so that he'll do it. Expect to see more of this (i.e. extending Mariotti's show...)

Lipumm lip your 3 months late mariotti show has been extended already.

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 12:23 PM
.............But if his partners, who own 95% of the team, told him he was out, then he'd be out.

I wonder if Jay Moronotti is going to LIVE UP TO HIS PROMISE, to run JERRY REIN$DORF out of chicago as owner of the White Sox. This is a perfect
place to start ......... literature needs to be printed, Facts need to be presented (many facts available on this website, dont look to the Media for Facts however) to these "shareholders". A Digital Insurgency if you will...

Kogs35
11-19-2004, 12:30 PM
I wonder if Jay Moronotti is going to LIVE UP TO HIS PROMISE, to run JERRY REIN$DORF out of chicago as owner of the White Sox. This is a perfect
place to start ......... literature needs to be printed, Facts need to be presented (many facts available on this website, dont look to the Media for Facts however) to these "shareholders". A Digital Insurgency if you will...
nah i can see mariotti being run out of town by hated fans of his.

Jerome
11-19-2004, 04:23 PM

Wow the inferiority complex still burns strong in the offseason.

MJ&H are Chicago's top rated sports show. Not top rated Sox show. They talk all chicago sports. They talk Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Sox, College, NFL. Do you expect WMVP to talk about the Sox and Bulls 24/7 just b/c they are the station that broadcasts the games?

Lip Man 1
11-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Ummmm...I KNOW that. It was an example of things that will continue to be done to piss off good ol' Uncle Jerry.Lip