PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Appearance Money?

surfdudes
11-18-2004, 03:19 PM
Question: I know that Teams and players that make the Divisional, League, and World series receive money from the TV networks and/or M.L.B.- Does anybody know what the breakdown is? It seems that if JR was getting 5 -10 million for appearing in the Divisional series, and more $$$ for each successive series, that the Sox would spend that $$$ on a few F.A.'s thinking that they would get that money right back come October.

Iwritecode
11-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Question: I know that Teams and players that make the Divisional, League, and World series receive money from the TV networks and/or M.L.B.- Does anybody know what the breakdown is? It seems that if JR was getting 5 -10 million for appearing in the Divisional series, and more $$$ for each successive series, that the Sox would spend that $$$ on a few F.A.'s thinking that they would get that money right back come October.

JR won't spend any money unless he already has it.

I've said a million times that just making the playoffs would increase the amount of money they bring in purely from the increase in attendace during the regular season.

anewman35
11-18-2004, 03:44 PM
JR won't spend any money unless he already has it.

I've said a million times that just making the playoffs would increase the amount of money they bring in purely from the increase in attendace during the regular season.
That's a huge gamble, though. See it from his perspective - he goes and spends 10 or 20 million more dollars, and the team still chokes and doesn't make the playoffs - that's a lot of money to lose.

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
That's a huge gamble, though. See it from his perspective - he goes and spends 10 or 20 million more dollars, and the team still chokes and doesn't make the playoffs - that's a lot of money to lose.If you take out the Yankees and look at all the other teams, even the biggest spenders win their division only about 30-40% of the time. And adding $10-20M doesn't make you a big spender. A 10% increase in payroll increases your chances of winning your division by only a few percent.

ewokpelts
11-19-2004, 01:47 AM
actually, the sox get money for NOT going in the playoffs.....the 2nd place teams that are NOT wild cards get a small playoff share...players and owners.

Gene

jabrch
11-19-2004, 08:21 AM
JR will not spend non-predictable revenues. If they make the playoffs, he'd likely spend it the following year, but he wouldn't spend it UNTIL they make the playoffs. The ownwership group is not going to defecit-spend.

mjharrison72
11-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Question: I know that Teams and players that make the Divisional, League, and World series receive money from the TV networks and/or M.L.B.- Does anybody know what the breakdown is? It seems that if JR was getting 5 -10 million for appearing in the Divisional series, and more $$$ for each successive series, that the Sox would spend that $$$ on a few F.A.'s thinking that they would get that money right back come October.The better idea would be to build incentives into contracts... not that money's the only thing that motivates these guys, but if the club gets extra cash for making the playoffs and for each series they win, the players should get some of that cash. But isn't this all a little bit too logical?