PDA

View Full Version : How About Glendon Rusch?

bc2k
11-18-2004, 11:12 AM
I like the idea of Lieber filling out our starting rotation, but if he's not attainable, I think the Sox should make an offer to Glendon Rusch.

I'm not basing this on his stats as much as how I saw him pitch for the Cubs last season. He was consistently good in every role he performed--reliever, starter, spot-starter--he just got the job done and gave his team a chance to win.

With the exception of last year, I think he's spent his career as a starting pitcher, and he threw 127 innings last year, so he'll have no trouble handling the #4 or 5 spot in our rotation. His expected salary should save the Sox budget to fill other necessary holes.

mjharrison72
11-18-2004, 11:20 AM
I like the idea of Lieber filling out our starting rotation, but if he's not attainable, I think the Sox should make an offer to Glendon Rusch.

I'm not basing this on his stats as much as how I saw him pitch for the Cubs last season. He was consistently good in every role he performed--reliever, starter, spot-starter--he just got the job done and gave his team a chance to win.

With the exception of last year, I think he's spent his career as a starting pitcher, and he threw 127 innings last year, so he'll have no trouble handling the #4 or 5 spot in our rotation. His expected salary should save the Sox budget to fill other necessary holes.He was awesome filling in for Wood and other Kubs last year... I think this is a fantastic idea, but I'm not sure how cheap he would come. Is he a FA or would we have to trade?

southsider17
11-18-2004, 11:21 AM

With the exception of last year, I think he's spent his career as a starting pitcher, and he threw 127 innings last year, so he'll have no trouble handling the #4 or 5 spot in our rotation. His expected salary should save the Sox budget to fill other necessary holes.
Uhhhh ..... No.

OG4LIFE
11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
as you suggested, Rusch would be a good backup plan, to a backup (leiber) plan. anything is better than the circus our #5 spot has been the last few years.

lets just hope we get DEREK LOWE and dont have to worry about it!

mantis1212
11-18-2004, 11:43 AM
From what I understand, the Cubs are most definitely going to hold on to Rusch

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 11:59 AM

With the exception of last year, I think he's spent his career as a starting pitcher, and he threw 127 innings last year, so he'll have no trouble handling the #4 or 5 spot in our rotation. His expected salary should save the Sox budget to fill other necessary holes.Don't base your evaluation on one year. Until last year, Rusch had only one other decent year with the Mets a few years back. Other than that, he's been mediocre at best, and occasionally downright bad. He was a pleasant surprise for the Cubs last year, but what are the chances he's going to do that again?

Jabroni
11-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Don't base your evaluation on one year. Until last year, Rusch had only one other decent year with the Mets a few years back. Other than that, he's been mediocre at best, and occasionally downright bad. He was a pleasant surprise for the Cubs last year, but what are the chances he's going to do that again?INDEED.

NonetheLoaiza
11-18-2004, 12:10 PM
uh, no thanks.

Terry21fg
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Last time Rusch was in a full time starting pitcher role was with the brewers...where he was hammered week in and week out....even spent time in the minors. He might be a fit for the pen, but I personally have no desire to see the AL's DHs hammering away at him.

Tekijawa
11-18-2004, 12:38 PM
lets just hope we get DEREK LOWE and dont have to worry about it!
If we get Lowe then we WILL have to worry about it! He had 1 good year on one good series... that's IT!

rdivaldi
11-18-2004, 12:49 PM
If we get Lowe then we WILL have to worry about it! He had 1 good year on one good series... that's IT!
To be fair, Lowe was lights out in 1999, 2000, and 2002. Been pretty mediocre in the rest of his seasons.

cornball
11-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Rusch would be an improvement over many currently on the Sox staff now. Many of you are acting as if we have a pitching staff full of Cy Young winners.

bc2k
11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Is he a FA or would we have to trade? Good question, Rusch is a free agent.

kittle42
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
You know, one good year does not necessarily make a good player. In my book, Glendon Rusch is best remembered for his 5+ ERA days.

MUsoxfan
11-18-2004, 02:12 PM
His 1-12 record and 6.42era with the Brewers in 2003 still sticks out in my head as being ridiculous and unneeded for this team.

bc2k
11-18-2004, 08:17 PM
You know, one good year does not necessarily make a good player. In my book, Glendon Rusch is best remembered for his 5+ ERA days. Considering the budget limitations of the Sox and the number of holes that need to to be addressed, I do not think it's possible for the Sox to fill each hole with proven, veteran players.

Under this scenario, the Sox need to fill some question mark positions with cost-efficient players who have had success in the majors, but not as much as the top-tier free agents. I am not suggesting the Sox use this idea to build the core of the team, but it is helpful to support the core with players of this mold.

My suggestion to sign Rusch is to fill the back of the rotation, I'm not depending him to lead us to a division title. Yes, his 2003 season was very bad, but if he had been a perennial 15-game winner, he wouldn't be cost-efficient or discussed as a back of the rotation guy!

Rusch will give his team a chance to win more times than not, which none of Grilli, Diaz, etc can do. With the Sox payroll and unfilled holes, I don't understand what you're expecting from the #5 starter. Rusch will give us a chance to win more than not, while keeping costs down to fill other necessary positions.

Jabroni
11-18-2004, 08:22 PM
"Thursday roundup: Rusch, Cubs close to deal"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1926162
Chicago Cubs: Left-hander Glendon Rusch is close to re-signing with the Cubs, ESPN.com has learned.

Rusch was 6-2 with a 3.47 ERA in 16 starts for Chicago last season. He signed a one-year contract with the team for 2004 after the Brewers declined their option on him.

Justafan
11-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Forget about Rusch. He just signed a 2 year deal worth 4M to stay on the North Side. This is according to Bruce Levine.