PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Shoneneweis?

mjharrison72
11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Are we resigned to keeping Shoney in the bullpen this season, or will he be a #5 starter if that's how things work out? Not passing judgment on the guy, I just haven't heard his name lately. Is he trade bait? Would any other team even want him?

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Are we resigned to keeping Shoney in the bullpen this season, or will he be a #5 starter if that's how things work out? Not passing judgment on the guy, I just haven't heard his name lately. Is he trade bait? Would any other team even want him?He very well might be trade bait. He's probably good enough to be a 5th starter on a lot of teams. I'd rather trade him than have him pouting in the pen all year.

Tekijawa
11-18-2004, 10:58 AM
I thought we released him?

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 11:28 AM
I thought we released him?I don't recall that, but he's not on the roster on the Sox website, so you could be right.

OG4LIFE
11-18-2004, 12:29 PM
:whocares

he blows! he's selfish! ozzie thinks hes a b----! LETS TALK ABOUT DEREK LOWE!

Palehose13
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I thought we released him?
I thought he was gone.

Baby Fisk
11-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Wow...was Schoeneweis so insignificant in our minds that no one can remember if he's still on the team or not? :o: (BTW add me to that list.)

mantis1212
11-18-2004, 12:45 PM
I thought Show was released a while back...

mjharrison72
11-18-2004, 12:51 PM
I know he sucks, but I still can't figure out whether he's on the team or not... last news I can see is he was activated from the DL on Sept. 30. I can't find any articles showing he was released, but I did find one saying Scott Boras was his agent...

Rocky Soprano
11-18-2004, 01:00 PM
I thought he was a Free Agent?

Jabroni
11-18-2004, 01:02 PM
I thought he was a Free Agent?Yep, he's a free agent and the Sox just did not tender him a new contract.

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Yep, he's a free agent and the Sox just did not tender him a new contract.He was on the MLB.com FA list at one time, but he's not now. What gives?

Paulwny
11-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Yep, he's a free agent and the Sox just did not tender him a new contract.
And Schoeneweis is probably the pitcher Boras mentioned as being interested in playing for the sox.

I_Liked_Manuel
11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
IF he's healthy, and i know that's a big 'IF', he's a #3 starter on this team. i know that doesn't mean much to many of you, but it's something to think about.

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
IF he's healthy, and i know that's a big 'IF', he's a #3 starter on this team. i know that doesn't mean much to many of you, but it's something to think about.If Schoeneweis is the #3 starter, we're going to be paying a lot more attention to the Bears' training camp next summer.:(:

Lip Man 1
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Just FYI Schowenweis is a Boras client.

Lip

Soxzilla
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Shoney thrived in the starting rotation until his shoulder started bothering him.

I say we take this course of action.

Not tender him a new contract, let him ride the free agency pine until free agency, and if he happens to still be available, invite him to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

And if he can pitch like he did for the first half, than I'm sure there will be a spot on the roster for this crumbum.

And you know the white sox aren't going to sign any big league pitchers to take up that 5th starter spot ... and I'd rather have a healthy shoney than a Grilli ... or diaz ... or munoz ... or bag of balls ... or hitchcock ... or norm charlton. :rolleyes:

wilburaga
11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I think Schoeneweis is still on the roster, Whitesox.com notwithstanding. By my calculation, he is arbitration eligible and so will likely become a free agent when the Sox officially non-tender him.

W

p.s. If the Sox sign a veteran catcher, I would not be surprised if Big Ben got added to the non-tender list.

mjharrison72
11-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Shoney thrived in the starting rotation until his shoulder started bothering him.

I say we take this course of action.

Not tender him a new contract, let him ride the free agency pine until free agency, and if he happens to still be available, invite him to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

And if he can pitch like he did for the first half, than I'm sure there will be a spot on the roster for this crumbum.

And you know the white sox aren't going to sign any big league pitchers to take up that 5th starter spot ... and I'd rather have a healthy shoney than a Grilli ... or diaz ... or munoz ... or bag of balls ... or hitchcock ... or norm charlton. :rolleyes:I agree you can't base his performance on a year when he was struggling with injury, and also that if nobody else gets signed, he might be an option as a fifth starter... actually, wasn't his poor performance and injury what started the fifth starter woes in the first place last year?
At the same time, though, he is also an experienced bullpen pitcher, a nice option to have against lefties, provided he can stay healthy. Assuming he's still on the team, and I think he is, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 02:53 PM
I think Schoeneweis is still on the roster, Whitesox.com notwithstanding. By my calculation, he is arbitration eligible and so will likely become a free agent when the Sox officially non-tender him.

W

p.s. If the Sox sign a veteran catcher, I would not be surprised if Big Ben got added to the non-tender list.Schoeneweis has 6 years in the league, which would make him eligible for FA unless he spent any significant time not on the major league roster or DL.

benjamin
11-18-2004, 03:45 PM

W

p.s. If the Sox sign a veteran catcher, I would not be surprised if Big Ben got added to the non-tender list.
This is correct. Davis, Garland, Perez, Rowand, Schoeneweis and Uribe are the Arb-Eligible players.

Schoeneweis is still technically on the roster, but only until he is non-tendered.

At which point, he might have to find himself an NRI and attempt to pull a Loaiza with someone.

benjamin
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Schoeneweis has 6 years in the league, which would make him eligible for FA unless he spent any significant time not on the major league roster or DL.
He spent part of '99 in Triple-A, and comes up about 2 months short of 6 years of MLB service time.

lowesox
11-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Just FYI Schowenweis is a Boras client.

Lip
In that case, I hope Kenny sticks to what he said about not signing any Boras clients.

cleogogo
11-18-2004, 10:15 PM
for what its worth, per the evening radio, crede and uribe are also boras clients.

SomebodyToldMe
11-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Blowenweis was only injured with suckiness. There I said it.