PDA

View Full Version : Pompousness of Cub fans & the Media Who Love them Continues...

Hangar18
11-18-2004, 10:09 AM
I was listening to Mac Jurko & Harry last nite on the drive home,
and I was APPALLED at the topic. Apparently, cub fans were livid
with ESPN for not letting their radio announcer Dave OBrien out of his contract, so that he could take "every broadcasters dreamjob,
working for the cubs".

Now I was going to start a topic on this a week ago, but Im getting pretty
fed up with the MEDIA taking it upon themselves to help the cubs hire
their new broadcasters. The topic from cub fans was how maybe ESPN shouldve let the guy out of his contract, working for the cubs is nirvana,
How could they do that to them etc etc.

But wait, heres some scoop. A couple weeks ago, FRESH off the Stone
blockbuster announcement, on a Saturday Am show on 670, they actually
had this O'brien guy on as a guest caller. They asked him what it was like
to be considered for the "best jobs in baseball, working for the cubs".
He actually shot them down, and said that he DOESNT think its one of the
best jobs at all, on the contrary, because of all the front office nonsense
going on there, and thinks the Tribune is making the announcers be "cheerleaders". He said he was Very Happy with ESPN, and was in a
contract anyway, and wasnt snooping around for a job, but that a "local
reporter" (either a cubune reporter, or Mike Kiley) approached him and
said "how does it feel to be considered for the Cubs job" and he said he
was stunned, because NOONE from the Cubune asked him at all.

We know the Evil Organization uses the Cubune to tamper with free agents
and the like, but this was very Blatant. I think personally, that ESPN
was ANGRY the Cubune blatantly did this, and purposely DIDNT let him out
of the contract. But for the Media and the Sheep of Chicago to act
as if the World owes them something ......... is Disgusting.

Kogs35
11-18-2004, 10:13 AM
I was listening to Mac Jurko & Harry last nite on the drive home,
and I was APPALLED at the topic. Apparently, cub fans were livid
with ESPN for not letting their radio announcer Oneill out of his contract,
so that he could take "every broadcasters dreamjob, working for the cubs".

Now I was going to start a topic on this a week ago, but Im getting pretty
fed up with the MEDIA taking it upon themselves to help the cubs hire
their new broadcasters. The topic from cub fans was how maybe ESPN shouldve let the guy out of his contract, working for the cubs is nirvana,
How could they do that to them etc etc.

But wait, heres some scoop. A couple weeks ago, FRESH off the Stone
blockbuster announcement, on a Saturday Am show on 670, they actually
had this Oneill guy on as a guest caller. They asked him what it was like
to be considered for the "best jobs in baseball, working for the cubs".
He actually shot them down, and said that he DOESNT think its one of the
best jobs at all, on the contrary, because of all the front office nonsense
going on there, and thinks the Tribune is making the announcers be "cheerleaders". He said he was Very Happy with ESPN, and was in a
contract anyway, and wasnt snooping around for a job, but that a "local
reporter" (either a cubune reporter, or Mike Kiley) approached him and
said "how does it feel to be considered for the Cubs job" and he said he
was stunned, because NOONE from the Cubune asked him at all.

We know the Evil Organization uses the Cubune to tamper with free agents
and the like, but this was very Blatant. I think personally, that ESPN
was ANGRY the Cubune blatantly did this, and purposely DIDNT let him out
of the contract. But for the Media and the Sheep of Chicago to act
as if the World owes them something ......... is Disgusting.
hangar its dave o'brian not o'neil

Hangar18
11-18-2004, 10:16 AM
hangar its dave o'brian not o'neil
Thank you, I corrected it :smile:

Justafan
11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Hangar,

If Ordonez signs with the Cubs, how will you feel and would you say the media had a big hand in it? I know I would. I feel the Sox losing Magglio is so bad, in so many ways. Yet, many here seem to think it is not a big loss.

Hangar18
11-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Hangar,

If Ordonez signs with the Cubs, how will you feel and would you say the media had a big hand in it? I know I would. I feel the Sox losing Magglio is so bad, in so many ways. Yet, many here seem to think it is not a big loss.
yes, I will be Stunned and not so shocked. The media has been lately "Planting" (ala mike kiley) the idea of Maggs going to the cubs, instead of
Blasting the SOX for not keeping him. That says it all right there ............
I hate the Chicago Media

Irishsox1
11-18-2004, 10:52 AM
If announcing for the Cubs was an ideal dream job, (which it isn't), then why isn't Bob Costas leaving NBC to cover the Flubbs?

Yes, the token Lincoln Park Cubbie fans are the most annoying "fans" in the world, but the most arrogant people in baseball has to be the Tribune Corp. Mark McGuire, Andy McPhail and the rest of the Tribune jerks can't get that stadium rehab figured out, plus they ticked off the city with all the falling concrete and rooftop nonsense. Also, last week the Cubs just figured out that the parcel of land on the west side of the urnial is owned by the City and not by the Tribune Corp. The Tribune throught they obtained the property when they bought the Cubs, but they were wrong, plus they just figured this out. So all of those plans for the additional offices and parking is out the window. As long as those jerk offs are running the Cubs, the city will never go along with anything they want.

Justafan
11-18-2004, 10:58 AM
If announcing for the Cubs was an ideal dream job, (which it isn't), then why isn't Bob Costas leaving NBC to cover the Flubbs?

Yes, the token Lincoln Park Cubbie fans are the most annoying "fans" in the world, but the most arrogant people in baseball has to be the Tribune Corp. Mark McGuire, Andy McPhail and the rest of the Tribune jerks can't get that stadium rehab figured out, plus they ticked off the city with all the falling concrete and rooftop nonsense. Also, last week the Cubs just figured out that the parcel of land on the west side of the urnial is owned by the City and not by the Tribune Corp. The Tribune throught they obtained the property when they bought the Cubs, but they were wrong, plus they just figured this out. So all of those plans for the additional offices and parking is out the window. As long as those jerk offs are running the Cubs, the city will never go along with anything they want.I just read that the Cubs have gotten the go ahead and the plans are in the works to expand the bleachers. :?:

Edit: They have a plan to expand the bleachers back 10 feet, nothing approved yet. My bad.

Dan H
11-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Your first mistake, Hanger, was listening to Mac Jurko and Harry. When they're not shilling for the Cubs, they're shilling for Jerry Reinsdorf.

Other than that, the Cubs will get theirs. They already got some of it this year when they pulled off the biggest choke in Chicago sports history. More is on the way.

Frater Perdurabo
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Hangar,

Whoever signs Maggs likely will be signing damaged goods. One cannot commit the kind of money that Boras is demanding without having an independent physician examine the knee beforehand.

As much as I believe that JR is cheap and KW may be a few cards short of a full deck, I have to agree with them that it would be stupid to offer Maggs guaranteed money when it may not be possible for him to produce at his pre-injury level.

If the Cubs sign Maggs without a medical exam, they are taking a stupid risk.

As for O'Brien, nothing short of a Sox win makes me happier than a Cubs loss, in this case a PR loss by losing out on O'Brien.

Justafan
11-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Ok, why do I get the feeling that I'm the only one who feels that if Ordonez signs with the Cubs and they go to the playoffs, it would be the biggest slap in the face to the Sox organization. It just seems none of you see this as a big deal at all, more like a "ho hum" type of attitude.

Picture this.

Gene Honda: Now batting for the Cubs, number 30, Magglio Ordonez. Boo him? Standing ovation(from the Cubs fans, yes)?

Hawk: "That balls hit, way back, you can put in the board(sullen voice). Cubs lead it 4-0 on a 3 run HR by Magglio Ordonez".

AND YOU GUYS ARE OK WITH THIS POSSIBLILTY? %#$%#

fquaye149
11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
what other choice do we have? pony up 15 million a year (more than vlad) for a player who's

a.) not worth that much money
b.) not all that willing to sign with us because he would be unlikely to accept arbitration and probably sign by may
c.) might be injured

but of course we already know how YOU feel on the matter and no amount of logic will make you see that there is more than one way of looking at the maggs situation

edit: or how about this situation...

hawk: cubs down by one to the good guys, the bases are loaded with one out...maggs comes to the plate...the pitch...grounded hard to uribe at short...rack em up!

Justafan
11-18-2004, 11:59 AM
what other choice do we have? pony up 15 million a year (more than vlad) for a player who's

a.) not worth that much money
b.) not all that willing to sign with us because he would be unlikely to accept arbitration and probably sign by may
c.) might be injured

but of course we already know how YOU feel on the matter and no amount of logic will make you see that there is more than one way of looking at the maggs situation

edit: or how about this situation...

hawk: cubs down by one to the good guys, the bases are loaded with one out...maggs comes to the plate...the pitch...grounded hard to uribe at short...rack em up!
Sorry, I know the other angle is possible as well. But this is bloodline Sox player, not some stiff that is just hoping to sign a deal. Do you see the possible ramifications at all? Yes, I like Magglio. I happen to think he is one of the 5 best RF in baseball. But hey, JR is rolling the dice and we all know what numbers will come up on that roll.

Palehose13
11-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Ok, why do I get the feeling that I'm the only one who feels that if Ordonez signs with the Cubs and they go to the playoffs, it would be the biggest slap in the face to the Sox organization. It just seems none of you see this as a big deal at all, more like a "ho hum" type of attitude.

Picture this.

Gene Honda: Now batting for the Cubs, number 30, Magglio Ordonez. Boo him? Standing ovation(from the Cubs fans, yes)?

Hawk: "That balls hit, way back, you can put in the board(sullen voice). Cubs lead it 4-0 on a 3 run HR by Magglio Ordonez".

AND YOU GUYS ARE OK WITH THIS POSSIBLILTY? %#$%#
I don't see it happening. From what I have heard, the rare condition of Maggs' knee can be compared to another rare injury sustained by none other than Bo Jackson. I don't think Magglio will ever be the Maggs we once knew.

In a way, I kinda want the cubs to sign Maggs to BIG money, hear those arrogant pricks spout off about how they now have Magglio (who, according to them a few years ago, wasn't very good) and then watch them eat it when he does not perform even close to pre-injury.

Palehose13
11-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Sorry, I know the other angle is possible as well. But this is bloodline Sox player, not some stiff that is just hoping to sign a deal. Do you see the possible ramifications at all? Yes, I like Magglio. I happen to think he is one of the 5 best RF in baseball. But hey, JR is rolling the dice and it we all know what numbers will come up on that roll.
He was offered the largest contract in White Sox history, if he was such a "bloodline Sox player" and not a stiff hoping to sign a deal...why didn't he take it?

Frater Perdurabo
11-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I know the other angle is possible as well. But this is bloodline Sox player, not some stiff that is just hoping to sign a deal. Do you see the possible ramifications at all? Yes, I like Magglio. I happen to think he is one of the 5 best RF in baseball. But hey, JR is rolling the dice and it we all know what numbers will come up on that roll.

Every transaction (or non-transaction) is a "roll of the dice" to some extent. Agreeing to Boras' outrageous demands by outbidding all other ridiculous offers would be completely foolish.

Would you agree to buy a used car without seeing it first? If you say yes, I have a mint condition 2005 Corvette in my garage that I'd like to sell you. (You have no way of knowing if it was in a wreck, or in a flood, etc.)

Likewise, to guarantee multimillions to a player who will not submit to a medical examination of a knee that has required two surgeries in the last year is ludicrous.

Also, even though Maggs is a home-grown player, I'm loyal to the team, the uniform, the colors. In the era of free agency, I refuse to be loyal to the players and therefore end up broken-hearted when they inevitably leave.

JR may be cheap and KW may not be the Executive of the Year anytime soon, but I completely agree with their stance on Maggs.

SOXSINCE'70
11-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Your first mistake, Hanger, was listening to Mac Jurko and Harry. When they're not shilling for the Cubs, they're shilling for Jerry Reinsdorf.
Dan,

The MJH show is unbearable at best with all its sCrUB love.
The Sox barely get a mention.They don't exist,remember??

MJH shill for the sCrUBS,not Reinsdork.Would you shill for that
creature?? I wouldn't.Odd for a station that calls itself
'the White Sox flasgship" to completely ignore the product.

Sirius radio,here I come!!:angry: :angry:

Justafan
11-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Every transaction (or non-transaction) is a "roll of the dice" to some extent. Agreeing to Boras' outrageous demands by outbidding all other ridiculous offers would be completely foolish.

Would you agree to buy a used car without seeing it first? If you say yes, I have a mint condition 2005 Corvette in my garage that I'd like to sell you. (You have no way of knowing if it was in a wreck, or in a flood, etc.)

Likewise, to guarantee multimillions to a player who will not submit to a medical examination of a knee that has required two surgeries in the last year is ludicrous.

Also, even though Maggs is a home-grown player, I'm loyal to the team, the uniform, the colors. In the era of free agency, I refuse to be loyal to the players and therefore end up broken-hearted when they inevitably leave.

JR may be cheap and KW may not be the Executive of the Year anytime soon, but I completely agree with their stance on Maggs.
Their stance has been "oh woe is me, Magglio didn't like our offer", when, from what I gather, was a backloaded, incentive laced, prove it to us type of offer. Magglio proved to be one of the best RF in the game and should have been handled as such.

Palehose13
11-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Their stance has been "oh woe is me, Magglio didn't like our offer", when, from what I gather, was a backloaded, incentive laced, prove it to us type of offer. Magglio proved to be one of the best RF in the game and should have been handled as such.
I never heard that about the pre-injury offer and if they made an offer post-injury they would be foolish not to have it be incentive based and "prove it to me". So, what are your sources and are you talking pre or post injury contract?

IIRC, the pre-injury offer was the largest ever in White Sox history...I think that is showing respect for the man. And about it being backloaded...he didn't mind last contract, why would they assume his feelings would change?

Justafan
11-18-2004, 01:34 PM
I never heard that about the pre-injury offer and if they made an offer post-injury they would be foolish not to have it be incentive based and "prove it to me". So, what are your sources and are you talking pre or post injury contract?

IIRC, the pre-injury offer was the largest ever in White Sox history...I think that is showing respect for the man. And about it being backloaded...he didn't mind last contract, why would they assume his feelings would change?
I do not have a direct source. I thought I remember reading it was a deferred contract, or something of that nature. Again, I could be wrong here. However, going on history, all you have to do is look at Frank's deal and know that JR is known for this type of BS and figure the deal was a slap in the face.

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Mac Jurko and Harry. I find this show to be pretty funny, and though
2 of the 3 are flubby fans, They are certainly the most FAIR, as far
as comparing coverage. They dont overdo it, which I wish they would,
just to offset the Murphys, and the Kileys, and the Giangrecos and the Tribune and SunTimes sports departments, but i'll take what I can get right now.
Sad, I cant expect equal and unbiased media coverage in this town ....... sighs

kittle42
11-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I have never had a problem with the MJH coverage - Jurko is a Cub fan but tends to try to be impartial. Harry is a rabid Cub fan who can sometimes not keep it under control. Mac is a rabid Sox fan who sometimes cannot keep his disdain for the Cubs under control.

Frater Perdurabo
11-19-2004, 02:16 PM

If you want to criticize their pre-injury contract offers, fine. But JR and KW have to deal in the present. I don't particularly like either one for many reasons but their stance on the Maggs situation at present is spot-on. JR would not have become wealthy enough or have met enough wealthy business partners to buy the Sox if he was a complete idiot. He is cheap, but he's not stupid.

I ask again: Would you buy a used car (even a 'Vette, Viper or Volvo) sight unseen and without recent maintenance records?

Why should JR guarantee multimillions to Maggs without first having the opportunity to have a team doctor inspect Maggs' knee?