PDA

View Full Version : Who is Boras' one match with the Sox!!

GiveMeSox
11-17-2004, 03:52 PM
In his interview on the Mariotti show Boras said he has one client where there seems to be a match with him and the sox. So lets try and figure this out. Who could this one client be who wants to come to the sox. I hope hes not talking about Uribe or Crede who is represents and already here. I hope he was refering to one of his free agents. So i ask who are Boras' clients and which one do you think he was talking about. Here is who i know.

Beltran
Varitek
Milwood
Maggs
JD Drew
Lowe
???......

DaveIsHere
11-17-2004, 03:53 PM
We are going to sign all of them I say, ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tekijawa
11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Uribe...

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Possibly Lowe?

GiveMeSox
11-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Possibly Lowe?
I sure hope so. We could seriosly use a renown ground ball pitcher. Oh wait we have one, Garland. But he refuses to throw his sinker, instead he loves his garbage change which on average gets hit a good 420 feet.

PorkChopExpress
11-17-2004, 04:03 PM
I just saw something to the extent that Boston was considering replacing Varitek with Miller. Maybe Varitek is interested in coming to the real SOX.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I sure hope so. We could seriosly use a renown ground ball pitcher. Oh wait we have one, Garland. But he refuses to throw his sinker, instead he loves his garbage change which on average gets hit a good 420 feet.That's what I was thinking. A ground ball pitcher, not commanding too much $$$ would be a nice fit, IMHO.

I just saw something to the extent that Boston was considering replacing Varitek with Miller. Maybe Varitek is interested in coming to the real SOX.
That would be nice too.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
That's what I was thinking. A ground ball pitcher, not commanding too much $$$ would be a nice fit, IMHO.

That would be nice too.If Lowe hadn't had a few good games in the playoffs, what would be your opinion of him?

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 04:11 PM
I just saw something to the extent that Boston was considering replacing Varitek with Miller. Maybe Varitek is interested in coming to the real SOX.Not a chance in hell...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1924536
After helping the Red Sox win the World Series last month, Varitek plans to meet with the team again this week. He reportedly has asked for a $55 million, five-year contract with a no-trade clause.I hope no one has any delusions that JR would give Varitek $11 million a year. :D:

Baby Fisk
11-17-2004, 04:12 PM
I sure hope so. We could seriosly use a renown ground ball pitcher. Oh wait we have one, Garland. But he refuses to throw his sinker, instead he loves his garbage change which on average gets hit a good 420 feet.I'm not sure why exactly, but this made me burst out laughing. No offence, GMS, I could have picked any one of dozens of posts from today alone to demonstrate how all of us are the masters of taking anything positive and smothering it with bitter negativity. [*snickering again*] :roflmao:

Anyway, the notion of Lowe and/or Varitek joining the White Sox = :yup:

lowesox
11-17-2004, 04:16 PM
I don't think such a player actually exists. I think this is Boras' way of trying to turn Sox fans against Sox management. As if that were necessary!

FightingBillini
11-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Varitek is a good player, but $11mil is WAY too much money for a "small market" team like the Sox to spend on a 32 year old catcher. We can get slightly less production elsewhere for a lot less money.

Dolanski
11-17-2004, 04:17 PM
If Lowe hadn't had a few good games in the playoffs, what would be your opinion of him?
I live in Boston and have witnessed Derek Lowe firsthand and he is NOT someone the Sox should go after. He needs airtight D to be effective. If he doesn't have it, he loses confidence and crumbles. I have watched games where an error turns a 123 inning from Lowe into a 5 run inning because he loses focus and gives up gopher balls. Early in the season, the Red Sox were trying to unload him but couldn't because they wouldn't get anything for him. So one good playoffs and suddenly he is a hot commodity? Read between the lines people.

Sure, he came up huge in the playoffs and WS for the Red Sox, but outside of that, he hasn't done very much since two years ago when he won 21 games (think Esteban Loiza). Last season he won 17 games, but that had alot more to do with run support than it did with his abilities. This season, he pitched much better and with more confidence after the Nomar deal, but he still wasn't all that stellar.

Frankly, our D isn't solid enough to make him effective right now. I say let someone else overpay for Derek Lowe and laugh as their 9 million dollars buys them a 5 ERA and 12 wins. We already got that on the cheap and his name is Jon Garland.

lowesox
11-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Out of curiosity: does anybody know if any current White Sox are represented by Boras?

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 04:19 PM
If Lowe hadn't had a few good games in the playoffs, what would be your opinion of him?I wanted him before the playoffs.

*edit: With the way the ball now flies out of USCF, I think we need as many ground ball pitchers as possible...with a good defensive infield. :wink:

southsider17
11-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Uribe and Crede are.

jabrch
11-17-2004, 04:20 PM
I hope no one has any delusions that JR would give Varitek $11 million a year. :D:
Well - rather than say it that way, I hope JR isn't dumb enough to give Varitek 5/55.

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Out of curiosity: does anybody know if any current White Sox are represented by Boras?Juan Uribe and Joe Crede.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2004, 04:22 PM
I live in Boston and have witnessed Derek Lowe firsthand and he is NOT someone the Sox should go after. He needs airtight D to be effective. If he doesn't have it, he loses confidence and crumbles. I have watched games where an error turns a 123 inning from Lowe into a 5 run inning because he loses focus and gives up gopher balls. Early in the season, the Red Sox were trying to unload him but couldn't because they wouldn't get anything for him. So one good playoffs and suddenly he is a hot commodity? Read between the lines people.

Sure, he came up huge in the playoffs and WS for the Red Sox, but outside of that, he hasn't done very much since two years ago when he won 21 games (think Esteban Loiza). Last season he won 17 games, but that had alot more to do with run support than it did with his abilities. This season, he pitched much better and with more confidence after the Nomar deal, but he still wasn't all that stellar.

Frankly, our D isn't solid enough to make him effective right now. I say let someone else overpay for Derek Lowe and laugh as their 9 million dollars buys them a 5 ERA and 12 wins. We already got that on the cheap and his name is Jon Garland.Q: What is Jon Garland in a rotation with 4 Derek Lowes?
A: The Ace.

Seriously, I can't believe everyone gushing over Derek Lowe. He had one very good season in 2002 and has blown chunks ever since. Look at his stats. Then he has a few good games in the playoffs and suddenly he's the second coming of Cy Young.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Q: What is Jon Garland in a rotation with 4 Derek Lowes?
A: The Ace.

Seriously, I can't believe everyone gushing over Derek Lowe. He had one very good season in 2002 and has blown chunks ever since. Look at his stats. Then he has a few good games in the playoffs and suddenly he's the second coming of Cy Young.
I'm not gushing, but I'd take him to fill up the back end of the rotation. I was actually disappointed that he was good in the playoffs, cause I don't want to over pay for him.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm not gushing, but I'd take him to fill up the back end of the rotation. I was actually disappointed that he was good in the playoffs, cause I don't want to over pay for him.I'd rather have Jon Lieber. And he'll be cheaper, too.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 04:28 PM
I'd rather have Jon Lieber. And he'll be cheaper, too.
That's fine with me. I'm not committed to getting any one guy. I just want a decent SP!!!

Baby Fisk
11-17-2004, 04:46 PM
That's fine with me. I'm not committed to getting any one guy. I just want a decent SP!!!Agreed. Is it sick or realistic that I just spent some moments imagining the OUTRAGED comments that would be posted here everytime a grounder got through the infield and Lowe imploded for 4 runs?

"WHY?! WHY DID WE EVER GET LOWE?! LOWE SUCKS! KENNY MUST BE FIRED!!! FIRE OZZIE! SELL JERRY SELL!! YOU CHEAP BASTARD WHY DIDN'T YOU GET JOHNSON?!" etc etc...

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 04:49 PM
"WHY?! WHY DID WE EVER GET LOWE?! LOWE SUCKS! KENNY MUST BE FIRED!!! FIRE OZZIE! SELL JERRY SELL!! YOU CHEAP BASTARD WHY DIDN'T YOU GET JOHNSON?!" etc etc...
LOL. Replace Lowe with just about any name(but Johnson) and you just summed up half of the posts that will be made during the 2005 season.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2004, 04:51 PM
LOL. Replace Lowe with just about any name(but Johnson) and you just summed up half of the posts that will be made during the 2005 season.
...so I was being realistic. :cool:

Flight #24
11-17-2004, 04:59 PM
And if it was Johnson and he got hurt, the same. Of course, if we don't get Johnson and he doesn't get hurt, it'll be all about how Sox management was "cheap & shortsighted".....

hold2dibber
11-17-2004, 05:12 PM
I sure hope so. We could seriosly use a renown ground ball pitcher. Oh wait we have one, Garland. But he refuses to throw his sinker, instead he loves his garbage change which on average gets hit a good 420 feet.
Player A: 4.89 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, 4.69 K/9, 217 IP, 223 H, 113 Ks, .269 BAA
Player B: 5.42 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, 5.17 K/9, 182.2 IP, 224 H (!), 105 K, .299 BAA

Player A is 6 years younger and probably will cost about 1/2 of what Player B will cost. Player A, of course, is Garland and Player B is Lowe. On the off hand chance the Sox could get Lowe for dirt cheap (e.g., $3 million/year for 2 years), I'd stick him at the back of the rotation and keep searching for a top/middle of the rotation guy. Otherwise, no thanks.

Dolanski
11-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Agreed. Is it sick or realistic that I just spent some moments imagining the OUTRAGED comments that would be posted here everytime a grounder got through the infield and Lowe imploded for 4 runs?

My TV has a nice mark in the upper left corner from my roommate (a Red Sox diehard) during a Lowe implosion this year. Needless to say, he isn't exactly begging for Lowe to comeback. Of all the Boston free agents, note that Boston has made NO overtures towards Derek Lowe at all...

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Folks you are forgetting one thing...Scott Boras has more clients then those listed in his interview. Why are you automatically assuming that his 'good match' is one of those high value, top dollar players?

Hell Scott Schowenweis is a Boras client maybe he means him?

Lip

OG4LIFE
11-17-2004, 10:00 PM
HOPEFULLY IT IS DEREK LOWE!!!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41916

OG4LIFE
11-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Player A: 4.89 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, 4.69 K/9, 217 IP, 223 H, 113 Ks, .269 BAA
Player B: 5.42 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, 5.17 K/9, 182.2 IP, 224 H (!), 105 K, .299 BAA

Player A is 6 years younger and probably will cost about 1/2 of what Player B will cost. Player A, of course, is Garland and Player B is Lowe. On the off hand chance the Sox could get Lowe for dirt cheap (e.g., $3 million/year for 2 years), I'd stick him at the back of the rotation and keep searching for a top/middle of the rotation guy. Otherwise, no thanks.

ok, lets look at player B's (LOWE) career numbers

3.88 ERA 1.30 Whip 5.88 K/9, over 200 innings 2/3 years as a starter, .259 BAA,

and the big number: .66 HR / 9

aaand player A's (JUDY) last 3 years (easily his best so far)
4.68 ERA 1.44 WHIP 4.97 K/9 .268 BAA, over 200 innings 1/ last 3 years
and
1.26 HR / 9

player b is 6 years older, but still has about 4-6 years of baseball left in him (HE'S 31, not too much to worry about there), well within the 3 year time frame we generally sign pitchers for.

if lowe can be had at the price Lip suggested, i think he would be the best solution, and we wouldnt have to give up garland and konerko for RJ...

or possibly trade garland/konerko for RJ and then sign lowe...

i don't care what KW has said about not dealing with Boras at all. the boss (JR) said that dealing with boras is not out of the question (as quoted on this board from his radio interview with Mike North)... and at the right price, i think he could be had. i just think it would be esp. useful to have a ground ball pitcher at the cell, proven in the postseason, a proven 'grinder'...

Flight #24
11-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Folks you are forgetting one thing...Scott Boras has more clients then those listed in his interview. Why are you automatically assuming that his 'good match' is one of those high value, top dollar players?

Hell Scott Schowenweis is a Boras client maybe he means him?

Lip
In the interview, he said he had one of his high profile guys interested in and a good fit with the Sox.

beckett21
11-17-2004, 10:42 PM
In the interview, he said he had one of his high profile guys interested in and a good fit with the Sox.
My vote goes for JD Drew. Or Beltran.

I could take Derek Lowe or leave him. I certainly don't see him putting the pitching staff over the top, although he could be a piece of the puzzle. I agree with the Garland comparisons as far as mental make-up. Fragile.

ChiSoxRowand
11-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Lowe had the one good year in 02 where he won 20 games and has been inconsistent ever since.

pearso66
11-17-2004, 11:55 PM
I have a feeling if we traded Garland and Konerko for RJ and either RJ gets hurt or sticks, and/or garland and/or konerko do very well, everyone will be calling for KW's head some more. I can hear it now "why would we give up a stud like Konerko for a washed up pitcher who makes $16 mil a year, KW is a moron"

am i wrong?

MrRoboto83
11-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Shingo is a Boras Client also

Champs2004
11-18-2004, 08:43 AM
If Boras isnt pulling our legs, my guess is one of 3. Varitek, Lowe, or the big fish. Anything could happen knowing KW. Beltran could come here for cheap. doubt it though.

Lip Man 1
11-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Perhaps I read this wrong but there is a story in Thursday's Daily Southtown on Boras' views of the White Sox. I thought he's quoted as saying none of his high profile guys appear to be a match for the Sox.

Lip

JKryl
11-18-2004, 02:16 PM
In his interview on the Mariotti show Boras said he has one client where there seems to be a match with him and the sox. So lets try and figure this out. Who could this one client be who wants to come to the sox. I hope hes not talking about Uribe or Crede who is represents and already here. I hope he was refering to one of his free agents. So i ask who are Boras' clients and which one do you think he was talking about. Here is who i know.

Beltran
Varitek
Milwood
Maggs
JD Drew
Lowe
???......
Varitek Varitek Varitek Varitek , pretty please.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.

JKryl
11-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Perhaps I read this wrong but there is a story in Thursday's Daily Southtown on Boras' views of the White Sox. I thought he's quoted as saying none of his high profile guys appear to be a match for the Sox.

Lip
Of course, this makes more sense, But still, Varitek Varitek Varitek Varitek please.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.

Jabroni
11-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Of course, this makes more sense, But still, Varitek Varitek Varitek Varitek please.

White Sox baseball, every day is an adventure.Varitek wants $55 million for 5 years and a no-trade clause. Keep dreaming. :tongue:

jabrch
11-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Varitek wants $55 million for 5 years and a no-trade clause. Keep dreaming. :tongue:

Actually, that's not at all a dream - its a nightmare. 5/55 for Varitek? That would immediately qualify in the team picture for worst contracts ever signed.

Jabroni
11-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Actually, that's not at all a dream - its a nightmare. 5/55 for Varitek? That would immediately qualify in the team picture for worst contracts ever signed.Agreed.

hold2dibber
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Actually, that's not at all a dream - its a nightmare. 5/55 for Varitek? That would immediately qualify in the team picture for worst contracts ever signed.
:jaime "I'd have some company at the top of the list!"

Lip Man 1
11-18-2004, 06:05 PM
From Thursday's story in The Daily Southtown:

"Boras said economic reasons would prevent most, if not all, of his clients from being able to sign with the White Sox even if those players want to come to the South Side.

I have some very high-profile (free) agents that are interested in the White Sox," Boras said on ESPN Radio (AM-1000).

Williams has said he and Boras differ substantially on the financial value of Boras' clients. Boras said there is no personal problem between Williams, White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and himself.

Speaking later in the day on Sporting News Radio, Boras said he wasn't surprised by Williams' stance.

It's not unusual for a general manager to certainly say to the marketplace that my owner and our budget won't allow us to go after a particular player, Boras said. Rather than put the onus on the owner, he's going to make that statement, saying we're not going to be signing any particular players I represent, because the fact is their evaluation and the competition for them by other teams is so great.
Boras said he perceives no such financial restrictions with the Cubs."

Here's the link:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/181sd7.htm

Lip

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 06:11 PM
From Thursday's story in The Daily Southtown:

"Boras said economic reasons would prevent most, if not all, of his clients from being able to sign with the White Sox even if those players want to come to the South Side.

I have some very high-profile (free) agents that are interested in the White Sox," Boras said on ESPN Radio (AM-1000).

Williams has said he and Boras differ substantially on the financial value of Boras' clients. Boras said there is no personal problem between Williams, White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and himself.

Speaking later in the day on Sporting News Radio, Boras said he wasn't surprised by Williams' stance.

It's not unusual for a general manager to certainly say to the marketplace that my owner and our budget won't allow us to go after a particular player, Boras said. Rather than put the onus on the owner, he's going to make that statement, saying we're not going to be signing any particular players I represent, because the fact is their evaluation and the competition for them by other teams is so great.
Boras said he perceives no such financial restrictions with the Cubs."

Here's the link:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/181sd7.htm

LipNice touch, mentioning the Cubs at the end. Did he get Morontti's help writing that?

Lip Man 1
11-18-2004, 06:34 PM
The truth hurts doesn't it?

Lip

ondafarm
11-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I hope (nay, wish) that it is Beltran who signs with the Sox, but I believ Varitek is more likely.

Jabroni
11-18-2004, 09:26 PM
I hope (nay, wish) that it is Beltran who signs with the Sox, but I believ Varitek is more likely.Are you serious? You think JR is going to give Varitek a 5-year, $55 million contract and a no-trade clause? :D:

hold2dibber
11-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Are you serious? You think JR is going to give Varitek a 5-year, $55 million contract and a no-trade clause? :D:
Just because that's what Varitek is asking for doesn't mean that's what he's going to get.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Actually, that's not at all a dream - its a nightmare. 5/55 for Varitek? That would immediately qualify in the team picture for worst contracts ever signed. It's too bad we didn't have the internet back in 1979. I bet you and Bill Veeck would have said the same thing about that "rum drum" Dave Winfield, too.

:veeck
"We don't want that rum drum!"

Root root root for Jerry's wallet? With logic like this, I suspect you would be rooting for Veeck's wallet, Allyn's wallet, Art's wallet, and three generations of Comiskeys' wallets, too.

:comiskey
"We're building a first-class organization... next century."

:reinsy
"Oh no we're not!"