PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

Petch
11-17-2004, 03:42 PM
It is like I am waking from a dream that I have dreamt over and over again. The White Sox trying desperately to do what it takes to find the missing link. As a die hard fan, obviously, we have had some ups and downs. However, I will note that most times we thought we were up, we were down and lots of times when we thought we were down, we were up. When everyone was depserately trying to find starting pitching, and we landed Big David Wells, everyone was talking about how good we would be...BUST! When we got Bartolo, that was going to "be the year"...BUST! Personally, I hope we just give up Randy Johnson. Don't get me wrong, he is a stud pitcher, but his negatives outweigh his postivies. He is old, we would only have him for a year, he is overpaid, he would not solve our rotation problems as trading Garland would still leave us missing a solid #5, and with the money he would be paid, we would not have enough left to address the other issues that face the team. I would much rather see us sign a Carl Pavano, Eric Milton, or Russ Ortiz, and then pursue a middle infielder (hopefully enough to actually sign him). I have no problem with trading Paulie. I like him, but if either him or Lee have to go, let it be him. Solve the problems at hand, don't create new ones.

rdivaldi
11-17-2004, 03:45 PM
While I am also against the RJ trade, signing Ortiz or Milton would be even bigger disasters. Both are flyball pitchers and would get smoked at the Cell. I wouldn't mind Pavano, but I have a feeling that he's out of our price range.

I love the idea of a 3 way trade in which we acquire Vazquez.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2004, 03:48 PM
While I am also against the RJ trade, signing Ortiz or Milton would be even bigger disasters. Both are flyball pitchers and would get smoked at the Cell. I wouldn't mind Pavano, but I have a feeling that he's out of our price range.

I love the idea of a 3 way trade in which we acquire Vazquez.Ortiz' career G/F is 1.18.

rdivaldi
11-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Ortiz' career G/F is 1.18.
Ah, you're right. I was looking at the 23 dingers and thinking that he must be a fly ball pitcher. However upon further review I noticed that he also gave up very few in 2001-2003.

Still, I wouldn't want this guy. Watched him on TBS a couple of times and noticed how wild he is. His BB:K and WHIP are pedestrian at best.

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Ah, you're right. I was looking at the 23 dingers and thinking that he must be a fly ball pitcher. However upon further review I noticed that he also gave up very few in 2001-2003.

Still, I wouldn't want this guy. Watched him on TBS a couple of times and noticed how wild he is. His BB:K and WHIP are pedestrian at best.The walks put me off a bit, too, but he throws below 4.0 ERA almost every year, so they can't be hurting him that much. Some guys just are able to overcome that. I would pick him over Pavano, who managed to finally have a good year in 2004, in a contract year, no less!

rdivaldi
11-17-2004, 04:36 PM
The walks put me off a bit, too, but he throws below 4.0 ERA almost every year, so they can't be hurting him that much. Some guys just are able to overcome that. I would pick him over Pavano, who managed to finally have a good year in 2004, in a contract year, no less!
Talking to Braves fans they called Ortiz the luckiest pitcher on the planet. I think they kind of viewed him the same way that A's fans viewed Koch back when he was their closer.l

I like Pavano, of course that gem he pitched against us is firmly engrained in my head. He has a live arm and a good arsenal of pitches. He's probably out of our price range though....

Ol' No. 2
11-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Talking to Braves fans they called Ortiz the luckiest pitcher on the planet. I think they kind of viewed him the same way that A's fans viewed Koch back when he was their closer.l

I like Pavano, of course that gem he pitched against us is firmly engrained in my head. He has a live arm and a good arsenal of pitches. He's probably out of our price range though....No one can be that lucky that consistently. Some people know how to create their own luck. You can't measure that on a stat sheet.