PDA

View Full Version : what about Al Leiter?

tlebar318
11-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Does this guy have anything left? The Mets declined his option.
Any thoughts?

Flight #24
11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
IIRC, he wants to stay out east, making NYY, Philly, etc more likely options. If he's willing to come at a decent price (4mil/yr?), then I'd jump on him in heartbeat.

jabrch
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM
IIRC, he wants to stay out east, making NYY, Philly, etc more likely options. If he's willing to come at a decent price (4mil/yr?), then I'd jump on him in heartbeat.
The only problem with him is that he is a 5-6 inning pitcher. He won't go 7+ innings very often. That said, if he were cheap (4mm would suit my tastes quite nicely, but I'd probably take him up a mil or two if we had to) I'd surely look at him.

Mohoney
11-17-2004, 03:07 PM
The only problem with him is that he is a 5-6 inning pitcher.
But he's very good and very reliable in those 5-6 innings, and that's something we don't have right now in Garland or Contreras.

Tekijawa
11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
The only problem with him is that he is a 5-6 inning pitcher. He won't go 7+ innings very often. That said, if he were cheap (4mm would suit my tastes quite nicely, but I'd probably take him up a mil or two if we had to) I'd surely look at him.Munoz, Cotts, Wright, and all the other Garbage they had in the 5 spot were 1 1/3 inning pitchers... anything would be an upgrade

SouthSide_HitMen
11-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Does this guy have anything left? The Mets declined his option.
Any thoughts?
Being a New York Met fan, I know that Al Leiter pitched on guts as his arm was pretty much in pain all season. I think the Mets will try to sign him if he is healthy enough. If the Mets pass, it will be due to health (or lack thereof) and I suggest buyer beware.

I love Al Leiter and hope he is able to pitch again.

MUsoxfan
11-18-2004, 04:07 AM
The Mets are desperate to win. Possibly as desperate as our Palehose. If they're not picking up Leiter, something's wrong. He must be damaged goods. I'd love to have him, but this isn't like the Reds cutting someone because they couldn't afford the option. If Leiter was worthwhile, he'd be a Met.

ilsox7
11-18-2004, 04:11 AM
The Mets are desperate to win. Possibly as desperate as our Palehose. If they're not picking up Leiter, something's wrong. He must be damaged goods. I'd love to have him, but this isn't like the Reds cutting someone because they couldn't afford the option. If Leiter was worthwhile, he'd be a Met.
I may be mistaken here, but a few days back I thought I had read that the Mets were going to buy out the option for $2MM (the option for 05 was set at $10MM) and then try to resign Leiter for less. I may be way off base, and I will try to find a link, but that is a possibility unless the Yankees throw their Briefcase of Cash around.

Flight #24
11-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Don't they lose rights to him until May since the didn't pick up the option? In another thread, there was a similar discussion about Vizquel.

If so, he ain't going back to NYM....although NYY would be a possibility.

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Don't they lose rights to him until May since the didn't pick up the option? In another thread, there was a similar discussion about Vizquel.

If so, he ain't going back to NYM....although NYY would be a possibility.They have until Dec 7 to either offer arbitration or re-sign him. If they can't do either before then, they can't re-sign him until May 1.

Flight #24
11-18-2004, 10:32 AM
They have until Dec 7 to either offer arbitration or re-sign him. If they can't do either before then, they can't re-sign him until May 1.
We're back to the Vizquel discussion. If they decline the option, can they still offer him arbitration or do they lose all rights to him?:?:

Tekijawa
11-18-2004, 10:33 AM
They have until Dec 7 to either offer arbitration or re-sign him. If they can't do either before then, they can't re-sign him until May 1.
By doing that wouldn't they end up just paying him 10 Million any way... If his salary this year was 10 and they bought him out for 2 and the biggest pay cut you can get is 20% of your Salary then the lowest the Mets would get in Arbitration is the 10 Mill that they turned down?!?!?

mjharrison72
11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Being a New York Met fan, I know that Al Leiter pitched on guts as his arm was pretty much in pain all season. I think the Mets will try to sign him if he is healthy enough. If the Mets pass, it will be due to health (or lack thereof) and I suggest buyer beware.

I love Al Leiter and hope he is able to pitch again.
So why the heck would we want him? Gutsy is good, but young and healthy is better. I also don't think he would come cheap enough.

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
By doing that wouldn't they end up just paying him 10 Million any way... If his salary this year was 10 and they bought him out for 2 and the biggest pay cut you can get is 20% of your Salary then the lowest the Mets would get in Arbitration is the 10 Mill that they turned down?!?!?You're correct for arbitration. I was just stating the rule. But they can re-sign him for any amount they can agree on.

I've looked over the CBA from end to end and I can't find anything that implies that turning down an option precludes them from anything. An option is just an option. Turning it down does not, to me, mean a termination.

Flight #24
11-18-2004, 10:58 AM
You're correct for arbitration. I was just stating the rule. But they can re-sign him for any amount they can agree on.

I've looked over the CBA from end to end and I can't find anything that implies that turning down an option precludes them from anything. An option is just an option. Turning it down does not, to me, mean a termination.
Should be pretty simple to find out now that Vizquel's signed. If the Tribe offers him arb now or gets comp picks, then it can happen. If they don't, then either it can't or they have the dumbest GM in baseball (not to get free picks when available).

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Should be pretty simple to find out now that Vizquel's signed. If the Tribe offers him arb now or gets comp picks, then it can happen. If they don't, then either it can't or they have the dumbest GM in baseball (not to get free picks when available).Actually, Cleveland doesn't have to offer arbitration. They get the pick automatically.

(c) A Type A, B or C Player shall be subject to compensation only if (i) he is offered salary arbitration by his former Club on or before December 7 pursuant to Section B(3) of this Article XX and signs a contract with another Club; or (ii) he signs a contract with another Club prior to December 7.

Flight #24
11-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Actually, Cleveland doesn't have to offer arbitration. They get the pick automatically.

Still would be subject to the debate over whether or not they forfeit their rights via declining the option. FWIW, I didn't see any comments in the blurbs on SF signing Omar that they'd forfeit a pick. We'll know soon enough.

Ol' No. 2
11-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Still would be subject to the debate over whether or not they forfeit their rights via declining the option. FWIW, I didn't see any comments in the blurbs on SF signing Omar that they'd forfeit a pick. We'll know soon enough.You would think with all the contacts people on this board have we could find someone to definatively answer this question.