PDA

View Full Version : Boston makes offer to Damian Miller!

Mickster
11-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Here is the LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-amianilleredoxakeffe&prov=rotowire&type=lgns).

Looks like Boras is asking too much for Varitek.

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Good. He's another player that I didn't want to see on the Sox.

Randar68
11-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Good. He's another player that I didn't want to see on the Sox.
Yeah, Ben Davis + Jaime Burke is a much better platoon than Miller+Davis...

Baby Fisk
11-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Having the Pudge-like Varitek on the southside would be awesome.

santo=dorf
11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Ben Davis + Jaime Burke is a much better platoon than Miller+Davis...
Maybe KW will be more aggressive torwards landing Kendall if Miller signs with another team. :dunno:

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Ben Davis + Jaime Burke is a much better platoon than Miller+Davis...Look at Damian Miller's career numbers (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=119064&statType=1) and tell me if he is worth $3.5 million a year. Then watch him put up a stellar year like he did for the Cubs in 2003 next season.

Randar68
11-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Look at Damian Miller's career numbers (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=119064&statType=1) and tell me if he is worth $3.5 million a year. Then watch him put up a stellar year like he did for the Cubs in 2003 next season.He's also one of the top 5 defensive catchers and game-callers in the game. Something neither Ben Davis or Jaime Burke can even remotely claim.

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 05:09 PM
He's also one of the top 5 defensive catchers and game-callers in the game. Something neither Ben Davis or Jaime Burke can even remotely claim.I thought we needed a catcher that could hit? Ben Davis hasn't won any defensive awards behind the plate but he looked pretty good last season.

Randar68
11-17-2004, 05:15 PM
I thought we needed a catcher that could hit? Ben Davis hasn't won any defensive awards behind the plate but he looked pretty good last season.He hit what, .230 in his career up to that point? If we're building around pitching and defense up the middle, you get Miller. If you don't land a top pitcher, you go after Kendall or other offensive-minded players...

Again, not everything is black and white and this time of year. There are many shades of gray. The further along we go and the more players that are off the board or acquired, the more clear the picture becomes...

For example, Miller+Vizquel+RJ would be a great offseason. If RJ is not an option, then what would Kendall + Lowe + Chacon look like?

Win1ForMe
11-17-2004, 06:15 PM
I agree with Randar on this. Damian Miller would be a great signing, especially at the contract offered by Boston. Hope we look into getting him.

wdelaney72
11-18-2004, 02:28 PM
This is certainly a rush move on the part of the Red Sox. For them to tell Varitek and Boras to go scratch is very interesting.

How many other teams are actively in the market for a catcher?

Jerome
11-18-2004, 03:18 PM
The Sox are not a team that can afford a high-profile catcher. We have too many other issues that need money. That's just the reality of this team's payroll.

Jabroni
11-18-2004, 03:51 PM
The Sox are not a team that can afford a high-profile catcher. We have too many other issues that need money. That's just the reality of this team's payroll.I know that but there's no one better than Damian Miller out there? :(:

EDIT: I guess not...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?positionId=2

I heard that the Sox were interested in Dan Wilson.

34 Inch Stick
11-18-2004, 04:12 PM
The link says the red sox offered 2 years and Miller is looking for 3. We could easily pull what the giants pulled on vizquel and give him the longer term contract for less money per year.

Flight #24
11-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Looks like Theo Epstein and Scott Boras "both respectfully agree to disagree on the value of his players".......

Palehose13
11-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Looks like Theo Epstein and Scott Boras "both respectfully agree to disagree on the value of his players".......
Does that mean Theo will not deal with Boras ever? :D:

Paulwny
11-18-2004, 06:12 PM
I don't believe the hang-up is money. The issue is the no-trade clause. I'm pretty sure Boston has been burned in a few of these contracts.

Flight #24
11-18-2004, 08:04 PM
I don't believe the hang-up is money. The issue is the no-trade clause. I'm pretty sure Boston has been burned in a few of these contracts.
We might have to disagree on this, but I believe I saw a quote from a GM saying something like "guaranteeing 11mil to a 37yr old catcher is suicide". It might not be Epstein, but I'd guess he's worried about that.