PDA

View Full Version : Forget Free Agency - Trade

lowesox
11-17-2004, 12:58 PM
With reports that Varitek may be too expensive for the REd Sox, and after finding out that Vizquel wouldn't sign a 10mill/2 year deal with the Sox, I got to thinking that this may be a seller's market this offseason. Especially with the report about Boras that surfaced the other day.

Which is why, I think the sox should try and make their major acquisitions through trades instead of free agency. Because, let's face it, our budget doesn't exactly work in our favor.

Here's a trade idea: Baltimore is looking for a power-hitting 1b, maybe we could try something with them. MAybe Konerko for Brian Roberts??

I also wouldn't be against the idea of trading Mark Buerle or Carlos Lee (only if we decided to keep PK though) since their values are probably quite high right now. If you could trade either of those guys for 2 or 3 good young major-league-ready players, I think it would be worth it.

Flight #24
11-17-2004, 01:00 PM
With reports that Varitek may be too expensive for the REd Sox, and after finding out that Vizquel wouldn't sign a 10mill/2 year deal with the Sox, I got to thinking that this may be a seller's market this offseason. Especially with the report about Boras that surfaced the other day.

Which is why, I think the sox should try and make their major acquisitions through trades instead of free agency. Because, let's face it, our budget doesn't exactly work in our favor.

Here's a trade idea: Baltimore is looking for a power-hitting 1b, maybe we could try something with them. MAybe Konerko for Brian Roberts??

I also wouldn't be against the idea of trading Mark Buerle or Carlos Lee (only if we decided to keep PK though) since their values are probably quite high right now. If you could trade either of those guys for 2 or 3 good young major-league-ready players, I think it would be worth it.
Konerko for Roberts + BJ Ryan would do wonders for this team. Then take the savings and get one of those sellers market pitchers or JD Drew.

soltrain21
11-17-2004, 01:02 PM
I think we can get more for Konerko than Brian Roberts. Trade Marky Mark? Pitching is our weakness. We HAVE to hold on to him.

I think Konerko for Hairston Jr./Roberts and B.J. Ryan seems decent. Maybe we can throw in Garland and get Tejada, too.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 01:09 PM
As Hangar 18 has often pointed out (correctly in my opinion) the trouble with trading is you have to give something to get something.

With the Sox, not the deepest team in the world, that means CREATING other holes you have to try to fill.

Free agency on the other hand only costs money...not players. You have a chance to plug holes without creating others.

We've seen how well the trading approach has worked for the Sox since the 2001 season haven't we?

In my opinion, you trade from strenght in July to pick up the pieces you need to put you over the top. The off season is for creating those strenghts and filling holes without weakening yourself in other areas.

Lip

SoxxoS
11-17-2004, 01:16 PM
If we get Randy Johnson we can survive without a SS, 2B, RF and catcher. Or bullpen.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 01:18 PM

:?:
I think I posted this about 3 times yesterday (except added BJ Ryan and said maybe Hairston if not Roberts) and was pretty much ignored. :(:

lowesox
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
As Hangar 18 has often pointed out (correctly in my opinion) the trouble with trading is you have to give something to get something.

With the Sox, not the deepest team in the world, that means CREATING other holes you have to try to fill.
Lip, I agree with you to an extent. But it all depends on the trade. Let's say we were able to trade Konerko for Hairston and BJ Ryan, we would be strengthening our bullpen, top of the order and second base positions while giving up a middle of the order power hitter. True, Ross Gload arguably isn't as good a 1b as Konerko is. But, we'd also be saving money that we could use to address another hole.

Ok, so it's all hypothetical - the point is, the right creative trade creates one 'hole' but fills a several others.

And one other thing, trading allows us to alter the nucleus of the team, which I think given their success (or lack there of) in recent years, isn't a bad idea.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Lip, I agree with you to an extent. But it all depends on the trade. Let's say we were able to trade Konerko for Hairston and BJ Ryan, we would be strengthening our bullpen, top of the order and second base positions while giving up a middle of the order power hitter. True, Ross Gload arguably isn't as good a 1b as Konerko is. But, we'd also be saving money that we could use to address another hole.

Ok, so it's all hypothetical - the point is, the right creative trade creates one 'hole' but fills a several others.

And one other thing, trading allows us to alter the nucleus of the team, which I think given their success (or lack there of) in recent years, isn't a bad idea.
I think Gload is a fine replacement for Konerko. I believe he is better defensively at first and he did hit .321 in 110 games last year. We could do worse.

I would love to trade Konerko fo Ryan and Hairston or Roberts. Hairston can play CF in addition to 2B and IIRC, Roberts can play SS. Both guys are the type of players I want on the White Sox and Ryan would help to solidify the bullpen.

However, Hairston isn't signed for '05...so he might not be available to trade...I think. Anyone know how that works? Is he eligible for FA?

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 01:37 PM
I think we can get more for Konerko than Brian Roberts. Trade Marky Mark? Pitching is our weakness. We HAVE to hold on to him.

I think Konerko for Hairston Jr./Roberts and B.J. Ryan seems decent. Maybe we can throw in Garland and get Tejada, too.Agreed. Konerko had better bring more than Brian Roberts if they trade him. Add in B.J. Ryan and I wouldn't mind that trade.

Also, no way you trade Buehrle. He's a good, cheap starting pitcher. We need him.

NonetheLoaiza
11-17-2004, 02:21 PM
im pretty sure that we would trade buerhle only if we were going through a fire sale and rebuilding.

FightingBillini
11-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I say, make trades in the offseason if you are able to pick up other pieces to fill the holes you created. Say we can pick up JT Snow, which I am VERY in favor of. If we can sign him for around $5mil (probably less), we would have a 2B, stud reliever, and a gold glove 1B for a little less than what we pay for Konerko.

DVsoxfan
11-17-2004, 09:24 PM
If Buehrle gets traded, I'm leaving the country

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Lowe:

You bring up some good points of course management would have have to follow up the original deal with others to take care of the other areas and I don't know if they'd be able to do that.

Not automatically because they aren't capable of doing it but because sometimes things are out of your control when trying to make follow up deals...i.e. players you want get injured, teams that you are dealing with decide to trade elsewhere and so forth.

Lip

SEALgep
11-18-2004, 07:03 AM
If we get Randy Johnson we can survive without a SS, 2B, RF and catcher. Or bullpen. When he pitches we can. :smile:

SOXSINCE'70
11-18-2004, 07:14 AM
Konerko for Roberts + BJ Ryan would do wonders for this team. Then take the savings and get one of those sellers market pitchers or JD Drew.
JD Drew is a Bora$$ client. Kenny won't negotiate with
them.C'mon!! You know that!!:D: :D: :D: :D:

But Uncle Jer wants to host "The Price Is Right".

Check out the sports section at www.suntimes.com (http://www.suntimes.com) and
you'll see what I mean.:D: :D: :D: :D:

cornball
11-18-2004, 07:43 AM

Free agency on the other hand only costs money...not players. You have a chance to plug holes without creating others.

We've seen how well the trading approach has worked for the Sox since the 2001 season haven't we?

In my opinion, you trade from strenght in July to pick up the pieces you need to put you over the top. The off season is for creating those strenghts and filling holes without weakening yourself in other areas.

Lip
Your absolutely 100% correct.