PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still have their E-Mail from KW regarding 2005?

Justafan
11-17-2004, 10:24 AM
I would love to read this load of crap again.

chisoxmike
11-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Yes I do. It's good for a laugh.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041005&content_id=883561&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Justafan
11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
:roflmao:

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Im going to print this and take it with me to Sox Fest and read it to Kenny williams during the Q&A session. Then I will say, hey Kenny you remember who wrote all this BS? I would love to hear his reaction.

PINWHEELS
11-17-2004, 03:43 PM
:KW Hey I Don't Think That Would Be To Funny! I Have Passion for this Game and Team and I Bleed White Sox Baseball .Im going to print this and take it with me to Sox Fest and read it to Kenny williams during the Q&A session. Then I will say, hey Kenny you remember who wrote all this BS? I would love to hear his reaction.

Baby Fisk
11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Im going to print this and take it with me to Sox Fest and read it to Kenny williams during the Q&A session. Then I will say, hey Kenny you remember who wrote all this BS? I would love to hear his reaction.I'd rather see the video of Steff taking that paper, rolling it up and inserting it in "awkward" places on Kenny's person.

Perhaps WSI could set up a live streaming feed of the action? :cool:

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 03:56 PM
We hope to have a team built around our pitching staff. But anyone who watched us play in 2004 realizes that we need to be more athletic, better defensively and quicker on the bases. Slugging it out night after night is just too inconsistent. You need thunder in the middle of your lineup, especially in the American League, but at the top and at the bottom, we need guys who can get on base, run, move runners along and handle the bat. I want to give Ozzie a team he can play with and really manage during games.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/trans.gifOur first focus entering this offseason is pitching. We feel very confident in our top four starters, Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras and Jon Garland, and believe each one has the potential to win 15 games and give us 200 innings. Jason Grilli showed signs he could fill the fifth starter's role, or we may decide to look toward free agency to round out our rotation.

I happen to think that he is going to do this.

Justafan
11-17-2004, 03:58 PM
I happen to think that he is going to do this.

:roflmao:

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 04:02 PM
So what do you think he is going to do? Nothing? Do you think that he TRIES to put together a bad team?

I am of the school of pitching and defense with scrappy high OBP guys and power at 3-4-5. I think this is where KW and Ozzie want to go with the team. What direction do you think he is going to take?

Justafan
11-17-2004, 04:06 PM
So what do you think he is going to do? Nothing? Do you think that he TRIES to put together a bad team?

I am of the school of pitching and defense with scrappy high OBP guys and power at 3-4-5. I think this is where KW and Ozzie want to go with the team. What direction do you think he is going to take?He will do what JR tells him to do. JR will say go on the cheap as usual and KW will say, "sure, JR" and you will see a team full of Gload's, Uribe's and the like. Same dance, different year.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 05:50 PM
He will do what JR tells him to do. JR will say go on the cheap as usual and KW will say, "sure, JR" and you will see a team full of Gload's, Uribe's and the like. Same dance, different year.
:rolleyes:

So what should he do?

anewman35
11-17-2004, 05:56 PM
He will do what JR tells him to do. JR will say go on the cheap as usual and KW will say, "sure, JR" and you will see a team full of Gload's, Uribe's and the like. Same dance, different year.Right, it's just like last year. I remember how last year, we were planning on having Gload be a starter right from spring training. If only JR hadn't been so cheap and KW wasn't so stupid, we'd have signed Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez, so we wouldn't have to start Gload, and we would have won the division.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Right, it's just like last year. I remember how last year, we were planning on having Gload be a starter right from spring training. If only JR hadn't been so cheap and KW wasn't so stupid, we'd have signed Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez, so we wouldn't have to start Gload, and we would have won the division.
Let's not forget the past moves for Albert Belle, David Wells, Bartolo Colon...yep...always cheap and always stupid.

Seriously guys, I know A LOT of Brewer fans. Start your whining in front of them and they'll set you straight about what a cheap, stupidly run organization really looks like.

voodoochile
11-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Let's not forget the past moves for Albert Belle, David Wells, Bartolo Colon...yep...always cheap and always stupid.

Seriously guys, I know A LOT of Brewer fans. Start your whining in front of them and they'll set you straight about what a cheap, stupidly run organization really looks like.
If not cheap or stupid, then too short to be considered a success either, no?

I mean it would be great to talk about those guys, but they all left within a year or two of being signed. Not saying it was for the best or for the worst, but it just more of the same old thing. One year chances that didn't work out and were quickly torn apart to try the next grand experiment - sometimes (98,99,00,04) that meant basically doing nothing and hoping for the best.

If not cheap or stupid, it's at least timid and that is one crappy way to run ANY business....

fquaye149
11-17-2004, 06:28 PM
to be fair vc...would you have wanted wells around much longer? or big bart with the money he would have made w/ a multi-year deal?

I don't know that I would have.

CubKilla
11-17-2004, 06:49 PM
I still get a kick out of KW talking about building a team to "win the Division." What happened to building a team to win the World Series?

voodoochile
11-17-2004, 06:54 PM
to be fair vc...would you have wanted wells around much longer? or big bart with the money he would have made w/ a multi-year deal?

I don't know that I would have.
Wells had two solid years after he left the Sox and for a LOT less money. No, I think he had talked his way out of town by then, but the point remains, every time they make an acquisition, they immediately dump said player the next year. They put the Bartolo money into resigning Lee and Buehrle, so they didn't even add anyone to the team with the "special acquisition" money they had floating around.

It gets old. You don't build a consistent pennant contender by getting one impact player and then letting that player go the next year and then a few years later getting a nother impact player and letting them go the following year. You need to acquire and keep talented players.

Like I said, it may not be stupid though one could argue it's cheap and it's definitely timid...

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Cubkiller asks: "What happened to building a team to win the World Series?"

That costs money....the Sox claim they don't have it.

Lip

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Wells had two solid years after he left the Sox and for a LOT less money. No, I think he had talked his way out of town by then, but the point remains, every time they make an acquisition, they immediately dump said player the next year. They put the Bartolo money into resigning Lee and Buehrle, so they didn't even add anyone to the team with the "special acquisition" money they had floating around.

It gets old. You don't build a consistent pennant contender by getting one impact player and then letting that player go the next year and then a few years later getting a nother impact player and letting them go the following year. You need to acquire and keep talented players.

Like I said, it may not be stupid though one could argue it's cheap and it's definitely timid...I didn't have a problem with the Sox putting the Bartolo money into resigning Lee or Buehrle at all. They are both great players and worthy of the money the Sox gave them. But if you recall, the Sox offered Bartolo a HUGE 3-year contract worth $36 million, the largest ever for a White Sox pitcher. What else could JR and KW do to keep Colon at that point? $12 million a year was more than enough. Instead, the Angels signed him to a 4-year contract for $48 million and they could live to regret that deal. I don't think he earned his $12 million last season with a 5.01 ERA. :cool: Buehrle and his 3.89 ERA of last season is looking like a MUCH BETTER deal right now. :thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Jabroni:

If you want to get to or win the World Series you have to take risks. Playing it 'financial sound,' and being 'fiscally conservative' haven't gotten this franchise and their fans what again?

Colon won 18 games for Anaheim. I'll take that in a heartbeat from a pitcher.

Lip

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Jabroni:

If you want to get to or win the World Series you have to take risks. Playing it 'financial sound,' and being 'fiscally conservative' haven't gotten this franchise and their fans what again?

LipYeah, and he won 18 games because of Vlad and the gangs' offensive output, not because of the way he pitched. He was absolutely godawful in the first half of the season. Even with a strong second half, he in no way earned $12 million last season. Shawn Estes had 15 wins last season with a 5.84 ERA. Do you want him on the Sox? Wins are not the best stat to judge pitchers by. In fact, wins are probably the worst stat to judge pitchers by. I would hope that you would know that by now. Another example is Derek Lowe who had 14 wins last season with a 5.42 ERA. Most people here are saying how much Lowe sucks and that he would only be a 4th starter at best for us. He got most of his wins because of Boston's offense and defense, not because of the way he pitched.

Stop letting your hatred of the Sox management blind you. Colon is not worth $12 million a year. Freddy Garcia is making less money at $9 million a year and he's even a better pitcher.

FightingBillini
11-17-2004, 09:20 PM
I'd rather see the video of Steff taking that paper, rolling it up and inserting it in "awkward" places on Kenny's person.

Perhaps WSI could set up a live streaming feed of the action? :cool:
??? I must have missed this

FightingBillini
11-17-2004, 09:23 PM

Tell them to ****. The huge majority of them watched their team in the World Series. Very few video recordings exist from our last WS appearance.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Jabroni:

'Worth' is in the eyes of the beholder. The Angels thought Colon was 'worth' the risk. They paid the money. He won 18 games, the Angels won the division. What did the Sox win again?

Bottom line... if you play it safe you generally end up EXACTLY where the Sox are now 83 wins on average since the start of the 1998 season. Losing fans, media interest and market share in Chicago every season.

How bad does it have to get Jabroni before the dice is rolled? Why is it that the only folks coming out ahead right now are ownership, their partners and the folks in the front office making a good salary?

It's funny how all these armchair G.M.'s think basically nobody is worth the money yet as PHG so brilliantly put it in another thread, salaries have been going up for the past 15 years. Have you seen what Vizquel, Guzman and Percival got already? Obviously the majority of the other MLB teams think paying those salaries ARE worth it.

Who's going to play for the Sox for peanuts Jabroni besides leftovers, injury risks, castoffs and never have been's? You get those players and you get 83 wins...exactly what the Sox have had for the past seven seasons.

Time to step up to the plate Jabroni.

Lip

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Jabroni:

'Worth' is in the eyes of the beholder. The Angels thought Colon was 'worth' the risk. They paid the money. He won 18 games, the Angels won the division. What did the Sox win again?

Bottom line... if you play it safe you generally end up EXACTLY where the Sox are now 83 wins on average since the start of the 1998 season. Losing fans, media interest and market share in Chicago every season.

How bad does it have to get Jabroni before the dice is rolled? Why is it that the only folks coming out ahead right now are ownership, their partners and the folks in the front office making a good salary?

It's funny how all these armchair G.M.'s think basically nobody is worth the money yet as PHG so brilliantly put it in another thread, salaries have been going up for the past 15 years. Have you seen what Vizquel, Guzman and Percival got already? Obviously the majority of the other MLB teams think paying those salaries ARE worth it.

Who's going to play for the Sox for peanuts Jabroni besides leftovers, injury risks, castoffs and never have been's? You get those players and you get 83 wins...exactly what the Sox have had for the past seven seasons.

Time to step up to the plate Jabroni.

LipWould you rather have Colon at $12 million a year or Freddy Garcia at $9 million a year? Let me guess -- you want both?

You would be the same guy bashing KW and JR if they had signed Colon for $12 million and year and he wound up with a 5.01 ERA with us.

Flight #24
11-17-2004, 11:17 PM

Lip
2 points may be a line, but they don't determine a trend. I'd wait and see what happens with more than the first 3 guys to sign before saying where the overall market's going.

And FWIW - Percival actually got LESS than the expectations I saw. he made 8mil last year, and was expected to come in the 7-8 range on a short deal. Instead he came in the 6mil range on a short deal.

fquaye149
11-18-2004, 07:27 AM
is it impossible to admit that value is relative to a team... 5 million dollars is overpaying for a power hitting shortstop because we have no shortage of power hitters.

however even a tiny-market team like the twins wouldn't consider it overpaying for valentin due to their lack of power, perhaps.

if we were the twins, conversely 4 million a year might be overpaying for a light-hitting defensive shortstop like vizquel....

however we would be willing to pay that because of our perceived defensive issues...

meanwhile, just because the giants have little eye on the future they are willing to pay big bucks to a guy who might not be around in a couple years....

who knows...maybe JR is sitting on piles of money even though our market split (even if it were 50/50, which it doesn't seem to be) with the cubs is smaller than most major markets.

I just think it's a matter of spending money in th emost productive ways.

don't get me wrong though - i will accept no excuses if we don't sign one solid or middle of the rotation pitcher, one back end/bullpen pitcher and make a deal for one position player at catcher, 3b, 2b, ss, OR rf.

gosox41
11-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Jabroni:

Lip

Lip,

You know those numbers are skewed. Colon did not have a good year. If you're going to say that Colon had a great year because he had 18 wins and wins are all that matters and ignore Anaheim's high powered offense to support Colon's Garlandesque type year, then you must think RJ is really a crappy pitcher for only having 12 wins. I mean wins is all that matters. 18>12. So Colon is much better, right???

Bob

Flight #24
11-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Lip,

You know those numbers are skewed. Colon did not have a good year. If you're going to say that Colon had a great year because he had 18 wins and wins are all that matters and ignore Anaheim's high powered offense to support Colon's Garlandesque type year, then you must think RJ is really a crappy pitcher for only having 12 wins. I mean wins is all that matters. 18>12. So Colon is much better, right???

Bob
Heck - by that metric, Garland's 12 wins makes him a better pitcher than Wood or Prior. Get on the phone Kenny, make that trade happen!

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=Jabroni]Would you rather have Colon at $12 million a year or Freddy Garcia at $9 million a year? Let me guess -- you want both?
QUOTE]

YES, why not just get BOTH? Boston got Pedro Martinez and then ADDED
Curt Schilling. Boston didnt say, "lets dump Martinez to get Schilling."
the GOOD teams simply get AS MANY good pitchers as they can on their staffs.
Thats how you win in October. Chairman/Emporor Rein$dorf continues to think otherwise ........ no wonder he hasnt been in a world series. Were
not "lucky" enough to have a Commissioner committing questionable, if not conflict-of-interest centered behavior allowing Messiah-like players to fall
into our laps. So we need to go out and SIGN players like this, not
let them LEAVE to help the Anaheim Angels of the World .........

santo=dorf
11-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Lip,

Bob
Randy had 16 wins in 2004.

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
and by the way , YES, I got that Email from KW detailing how
he was gonna bring a Championship in 2005 to the south side, how they
were going after Beltran and Randy Johnson blah blah blah.
But then ..... there was a knock at the door. and 5 guys in dark
suits and sunglasses came in, and wanted to know where my computer
was, and did I ReSend that email to anyone, roughed me up,
ransacked my place, broke some furniture. So I dont have that email
anymore to say the least ....... :cool:

StillMissOzzie
11-19-2004, 01:19 PM
But then ..... there was a knock at the door. and 5 guys in dark suits and sunglasses came in, and wanted to know where my computer
was, and did I ReSend that email to anyone, roughed me up,
ransacked my place, broke some furniture. So I dont have that email
anymore to say the least ....... :cool:
Time to change the tin foil again, Hangar
:D:

SMO
:gulp:

gosox41
11-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Randy had 16 wins in 2004.
My bad. Colon still had 2 more so Colon>Jonhnson according to some.

Bob

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 02:03 PM
My bad. Colon still had 2 more so Colon>Jonhnson according to some.

Bob
Now you understand! :D:

Justafan
11-19-2004, 02:39 PM
The E-mail should have went like this.

Dear fellow Sox fans,

Thank you for the great support this past season. We anticipate 2005 to be another year of being cheap and fruitless. While other teams in town might spend 100M to field a world series caliber team, we feel that if we raise ticket prices and keep the payroll where it is, we can all look forward to JR and myself getting healthy bonuses.

As long as we strive to win 83 games a year, we should be considered winners, since, in actuality, it is a winning record. We feel we made a very bogus offer to Magglio and he read the hidden BS in the offer. He was just too smart and we must part ways. The injury he has just makes us save a little face.

We plan on going cheap in the bullpen again, since we have to give Shingo a little bump in money. Remember that all the amount of butt kissing you hear from Hawk and DJ on the air is of their own doing. They are not just trying to be puppets for Jerry.

Just remember, we will always be cheap. Hey, at least we are being honest with you.

Thank you all

KW.

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 02:50 PM
The E-mail should have went like this.

Dear fellow Sox fans,

Thank you for the great support this past season. We anticipate 2005 to be another year of being cheap and fruitless. While other teams in town might spend 100M to field a world series caliber team, we feel that if we raise ticket prices and keep the payroll where it is, we can all look forward to JR and myself getting healthy bonuses.

As long as we strive to win 83 games a year, we should be considered winners, since, in actuality, it is a winning record. We feel we made a very bogus offer to Magglio and he read the hidden BS in the offer. He was just too smart and we must part ways. The injury he has just makes us save a little face.

We plan on going cheap in the bullpen again, since we have to give Shingo a little bump in money. Remember that all the amount of butt kissing you hear from Hawk and DJ on the air is of their own doing. They are not just trying to be puppets for Jerry.

Just remember, we will always be cheap. Hey, at least we are being honest with you.

Thank you all

KW.
Dear Justafan,

In case you didn't realize this, the other team in the city ended up the same place where we were for the playoffs...watching them at home. I believe in getting quality players, but I will not pay unreasonable prices. I will do what I can to put a winning team on the field. It's a good thing you are not GM otherwise you might have wanted to pay LaTroy Hawkins big money to be the closer...a lot of good that did the cubs.

KW

Justafan
11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Dear Justafan,

In case you didn't realize this, the other team in the city ended up the same place where we were for the playoffs...watching them at home. I believe in getting quality players, but I will not pay unreasonable prices. I will do what I can to put a winning team on the field. It's a good thing you are not GM otherwise you might have wanted to pay LaTroy Hawkins big money to be the closer...a lot of good that did the cubs.

KWDear KW,

While the Cubs indeed were sitting on their duffs in October. It certainly was not because they were cheap. They may have been destroyed by injuries to nearly half of their team, but they certainly were not cheap. They got Nomar and what do you boneheads do? You go out and re-aquire stiffs like Alomar and Everett. That was a great move!

We were LUCKY they stayed home for the playoffs. Magglio and Frank were big losses, but who did you have to fall back on? NO ONE! Keep living in fantasy land and think that if you and JR continue your cheap ways that things will be just fine. They wont!

Also, should the Cubs win the series before the Sox do, I hope you guys have plenty of good moving trucks and have them pointed to a new city, as the Sox would NEVER recover from that.

Justafan.

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Dear Justafan,

KW

Your forgetting one thing ....... That team up north has an Issue they
will NEVER be able to resolve, involving a certain goat. they can spend
300 Million for a team .........

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Your forgetting one thing ....... That team up north has an Issue they
will NEVER be able to resolve, involving a certain goat. they can spend
300 Million for a team .........
Now hangar...you don't actually believe in curses, do you?

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Dear KW,

While the Cubs indeed were sitting on their duffs in October. It certainly was not because they were cheap. They may have been destroyed by injuries to nearly half of their team, but they certainly were not cheap. They got Nomar and what do you boneheads do? You go out and re-aquire stiffs like Alomar and Everett. That was a great move!

We were LUCKY they stayed home for the playoffs. Magglio and Frank were big losses, but who did you have to fall back on? NO ONE! Keep living in fantasy land and think that if you and JR continue your cheap ways that things will be just fine. They wont!

Also, should the Cubs win the series before the Sox do, I hope you guys have plenty of good moving trucks and have them pointed to a new city, as the Sox would NEVER recover from that.

Justafan.
Nice Comeback ............

Justafan
11-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Hangar, I was being serious.

Hangar18
11-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Hangar, I was being serious.
So was I :cool:

Palehose13
11-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I disagree with his assessment.

Lip Man 1
11-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Palehose:

And which Chicago team is the one losing market share and interest every season?

Hmmm.....

Lip