PDA

View Full Version : JR on the Mike North Show....

Mickster
11-17-2004, 08:45 AM
.......was on this morning. I caught the last 10 seconds and apparently he was taking calls. Anyone hear the interview?

DaveIsHere
11-17-2004, 08:47 AM
OH yeah I forgot about that, someone post the interview, please!!!! wait....nevermind he was probably talking about nothing important anyway.

Why is it I am looking to 2006???

southsideirish71
11-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Mike North said that Reinsdorf wants to win a world series and Reinsdorf agreed. Then he asked well how can you honestly say you want to win a world series with your payroll how it is. Reinsdorf said our payroll is not the issue, we have the highest payroll in the AL Central. We failed to make the playoffs was soley due to the lack of a 5th starter which they will remedy this offseason.

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Payroll is not an issue? :roflmao:

If we had a higher payroll, we woudlnt be worrying about the #5 starter for the past few years.

I wish I knew he was taking calls.

Justafan
11-17-2004, 09:02 AM
I'm glad he has the highest payroll in the weak AL central. Way to aim high, Jerry.

southsideirish71
11-17-2004, 09:13 AM
He was also taking exception to any press reports that had anything to do with the bulls or the whitesox. His constant comment is that story was someones figment of their imagination, that story was made up.

We also dont have a problem with Boras he said. We have Uribe who is represented by Scott Boras.

So this means that when Uribe becomes a solid player for the whole year, we wont be able to afford him because Scott the devil boras will want too much money for him.

White Sox baseball 2005 - We supply other teams with major league ready talent. Feeder baseball, through thick and thin.

11-17-2004, 09:24 AM
He wasn't going to give any names or indications of any players they were going to go after. But I didn't get a real good feel after the interview, they did they he wants a pitcher and a late reliever though. Well last year when we were winning we had a healthy Maggs and Frank, this year we won't have Maggs and Frank is a big ? GET JERMAINE DYE AT LEAST

mantis1212
11-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Mike North said that Reinsdorf wants to win a world series and Reinsdorf agreed. Then he asked well how can you honestly say you want to win a world series with your payroll how it is. Reinsdorf said our payroll is not the issue, we have the highest payroll in the AL Central. We failed to make the playoffs was soley due to the lack of a 5th starter which they will remedy this offseason.
I hate to admit it, but JR has a point about the payroll. If we were winning the AL Central every year and losing in the playoffs to $180MM and $120MM payroll teams, I would expect him to raise the payroll.

But we can't even win the AL Central with the highest payroll in the division. That needs to change.

Kilroy
11-17-2004, 10:07 AM
I hate to admit it, but JR has a point about the payroll. If we were winning the AL Central every year and losing in the playoffs to $180MM and $120MM payroll teams, I would expect him to raise the payroll.

But we can't even win the AL Central with the highest payroll in the division. That needs to change.
Careful. You're bordering on logical, and that just doesn't work around here because the Sox only problem is that JR is just too cheap!

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Careful. You're bordering on logical, and that just doesn't work around here because the Sox only problem is that JR is just too cheap!
JR being too cheap is not the only problem. The problem is that we are not getting the "right" players on this team. We have too many HR type hitters, our defense is kinda weak, we need another solid Starter, and some bullpen help.

To plug these holes they need to spend a bit more.

Just because he is the tallest midget in the division doesnt mean he shouldnt spend some more.

jabrch
11-17-2004, 10:14 AM
No Kilroy - that's half the problem...Half the problem is that JR is cheap. The other half is that KW is stupid.

Cheap and Stupid...

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 10:19 AM
No Kilroy - that's half the problem...Half the problem is that JR is cheap. The other half is that KW is stupid.

Cheap and Stupid...
:thumbsup:

It's not how much you spend, it's how you spend it. I'm sure glad the White Sox organization didn't decide to plunk down a ton of money on Guzman...because that move would have guaranteed the AL Central division title.

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Remember, JR promised us a fifth starter. I can't wait to see us sign Shawn Estes or Jeff Fassero! Or even better, we could sign Esteban Loaiza!

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Remember, JR promised us a fifth starter. I can't wait to see us sign Shawn Estes or Jeff Fassero! Or even better, we could sign Esteban Loaiza!
Better than the black hole we have now.

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Better than the black hole we have now.True. But there are so many better names out there...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?positionId=15

Viva Magglio
11-17-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm glad he has the highest payroll in the weak AL central. Way to aim high, Jerry.
Highest Payroll in AL Central = Valedictorian of Summer School

southsider17
11-17-2004, 10:49 AM

I'm not a JR supporter and I'm starting to have serious doubts about KW .... but that's a great post!

:(:

maurice
11-17-2004, 11:05 AM
JR repeatedly conceded that we missed the playoffs the last several years because we were short one .500+ starting pitcher. The reason we were short one .500+ starting pitcher is because JR refused to extend the budget enough to acquire said pitcher during the offseason, taking a fatal "wait-and-see" approach instead. He then claims the budget is not a problem, which North rightly refused to accept.

Other notes from the interview:
- JR blew another great PR opportunity by refusing to sign Steve Stone, since "we already have plenty of announcers"
- Baines is still the bench coach, despite his desire to be reassigned to a more active role, because now he'll be involved with "positioning the OFers"

:?:

:sellreinsy

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Just some perspective on the division payroll issue. A fan started a thread a few weeks ago, here at WSI (some of you may remember it) where the numbers were posted that as recently as 2002, the Sox did not have the division's highest payroll.

If they do now it is a very recent thing.

Lip

santo=dorf
11-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Just some perspective on the division payroll issue. A fan started a thread a few weeks ago, here at WSI (some of you may remember it) where the numbers were posted that as recently as 2002, the Sox did not have the division's highest payroll.

If they do now it is a very recent thing.

Lip
http://baseball-almanac.com/yearly/yr2004a.shtml

2001: Top payroll: Indians: $91,974,979, Sox: $62,363,000
2002: Top payroll: Indians: $78,909,448, Sox: $57,052,833
2003: Top Payroll: TWINS: $55,505,000, Sox: $51,010,000
2004: Top Payroll: Sox:$76,212,500 (That number seems way off.)

Iwritecode
11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
http://baseball-almanac.com/yearly/yr2004a.shtml

2001: Top payroll: Indians: $91,974,979, Sox: $62,363,000
2002: Top payroll: Indians: $78,909,448, Sox: $57,052,833
2003: Top Payroll: TWINS: $55,505,000, Sox: $51,010,000
2004: Top Payroll: Sox:$76,212,500 (That number seems way off.)

I'm not quite sure where they came up with that 2004 figure. According to this site (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2004) it was 65,212,500. The other years they list are pretty close to the numbers above.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm not quite sure where they came up with that 2004 figure. According to this site (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2004) it was 65,212,500. The other years they list are pretty close to the numbers above.
Just a shot in the dark...but maybe addition of salaries for players traded for?

Iwritecode
11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Just a shot in the dark...but maybe addition of salaries for players traded for?

I thought that at first but it's odd that it's exactly 11 million off.

How much are Garcia and Contreras making again?

Either way, JR wasn't lying. Currently the Sox do have the highest payroll in the AL central.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM

Either way, JR wasn't lying. Currently the Sox do have the highest payroll in the AL central.
Yikes...not sure. But there is also Everett and R. Alomar. Did they pick up Koch's salary (I imagine they did...)?

11 mil does seem high. Hmmmm...

Flight #24
11-17-2004, 03:33 PM

Start at 63 (IIRC), add in roughly 3mil (Everett), 7mil (Garcia), 6mil (Contreras), subtract 6mil (Koch- 500k savings), add 1mil (Alomar) = 77mil.

I'd guess that's what they're doing.

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Either way, JR wasn't lying. Currently the Sox do have the highest payroll in the AL central.Garcia has a 3 year, $27 million contract and Contreras is making around $12 million from us for the next 2 years with the Yankees picking up the rest of his contract.

Palehose13
11-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Start at 63 (IIRC), add in roughly 3mil (Everett), 7mil (Garcia), 6mil (Contreras), subtract 6mil (Koch- 500k savings), add 1mil (Alomar) = 77mil.

Yep...that looks right.

eshunn2001
11-17-2004, 03:51 PM

That is exactly what they are doing. And if payroll stays there, I will be very Happy. :D:

RedPinStripes
11-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Payroll isnt the problem. Player development and the draft is the problem. We get excited about prospects every year and they dont pan out. Not that i 'm all for this but, remember the Marlins? A World series can be brought to the South side if everything else was right.

santo=dorf
11-17-2004, 04:23 PM

We saved about 2 million with Koch, the Expos gave US cash for Everett (we paid him the minimum,) and we didn't add 6 million for Jose. You figure we paid him for half of the season at $3 million, and Loaiza had $2.25 million left on his deal, so we only added another $,75 million in payroll for Jose in 2004.

Flight #24
11-17-2004, 04:27 PM
We saved about 2 million with Koch, the Expos gave US cash for Everett (we paid him the minimum,) and we didn't add 6 million for Jose. You figure we paid him for half of the season at $3 million, and Loaiza had $2.25 million left on his deal, so we only added another $,75 million in payroll for Jose in 2004.
I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the calculation, just backing into how it as likely arrived at. I did forget the E-Lo $$$ tho, and I don't remember Carl coming with that much cash, but I'll take your word for it.

If you're accurate, then I'm back to :?: in terms of how they got their 76mil #.

white sox bill
11-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Did anyone ask him when he was going to trade his 6 Bulls rings for a Sox World Series winner?

Jjav829
11-18-2004, 07:50 AM
I didn't hear the interview, but I found this (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intid=38309176) funny.

On Wednesday morning, Jerry Reinsdorf told Mike North on the Score that his neighbor in Phoenix, Randy Johnson, brought his kids trick-or-treating to Reinsdorf's house.
Replied North: "I hope you dropped a pile of money in his bag.''
:roflmao:

Here (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox18.html) is a summary of some of JR's comments about dealing with Boras.

Also of note from that article:

Reinsdorf also told the station the Sox didn't go after shortstop Cristian Guzman because his offensive numbers outside of the Metrodome were ''pathetic,'' and the team thought offering a three-year deal to Omar Vizquel was too big of a risk.

SoxFanTillDeath
11-18-2004, 08:07 AM
I do have to say that I agree with both of those.

Wait, did I just agree with Jerry? Somebody put me out of my misery, please!

gosox41
11-18-2004, 08:08 AM

Excetp some of those salaries need to be pro-rated. Garcia made $7 mill last season and got him about half way through the season. The Sox only paid $3.5 mill or so. Same with Everett and Contreras except since they were aquired later the Sox paid them less then their current contracts.

Bob