PDA

View Full Version : Kris Benson's exorbitant counter-offer

Mohoney
11-17-2004, 02:08 AM
MLB.com's Hot Stove Report is confirming that the Mets have received a counter-offer from Kris Benson's camp. The counter-offer is 3 years, $25 million. The Mets' offer was 3 years, $20.25 million.

If the Mets are dumb enough to give this guy $8 million+ per season, I have a sinking feeling that the market for pitchers that are actually good will be way over what we can afford.

Please don't ruin the market, Omar.

jake27
11-17-2004, 09:18 AM
:whocares.

Brian26
11-17-2004, 09:51 AM
MLB.com's Hot Stove Report is confirming that the Mets have received a counter-offer from Kris Benson's camp. The counter-offer is 3 years, $25 million. The Mets' offer was 3 years, $20.25 million.

Where's that puking tag? This is sick.

MUsoxfan
11-17-2004, 11:34 AM
That wife of his is probably in his ear. This doesn't look like a low-maintanence woman at all. (http://www.annabenson.net)

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2004, 12:22 PM
That wife of his is probably in his ear. This doesn't look like a low-maintanence woman at all. (http://www.annabenson.net/)
:drool: :drool:

Brian26
11-17-2004, 12:27 PM
That wife of his is probably in his ear. This doesn't look like a low-maintanence woman at all. (http://www.annabenson.net)

I saw that site a few weeks ago and was impressed that she actually listed some of her favorite books and reading was one of her main hobbies. Kudos to her. Whether or not that bio was complete bs, though, is another story.

soltrain21
11-17-2004, 12:59 PM
:whocares.

Alot of us do. If Benson is going to get that much it will set the starting gate for what a pictcher like Pavano will get. I really wish that and a few other of our tags would go away.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 01:00 PM
It's only 'exhorbant' if someone doesn't pay it right? Kind of like baseball owners who 'extort' new stadiums.

Lip

Mohoney
11-17-2004, 01:39 PM
It's only 'exhorbant' if someone doesn't pay it right? Kind of like baseball owners who 'extort' new stadiums.

Lip
Good point, but we're not exactly talking about a perennial Cy Young candidate here that's bartering for the best deal he can get.

If Benson gets this deal, we can forget about Pavano, Radke, or any of the proven pitchers on the Free Agent market. It also gives arbitration-eligible starting pitchers yet another name that they can use in their argument.

SoxxoS
11-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Lip

Absolutely...nobody overpays is that is what the market value of a player is. You may think the Giants overvalued Vizquel...but they didn't overpay. They paid what they thought he was worth. Econ 101. Thanks ASU.

munchman33
11-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Lip
I assume you mean exorbitant. Here's the dictionary.com definition:

Exceeding all bounds, as of custom or fairness.

So no, just because some teams can afford to pay too much for players doesn't mean its not exorbitant.

34 Inch Stick
11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I think the Mets offer is a little high for Benson. Locking up Garcia is looking like a better move all the time.

GiveMeSox
11-17-2004, 02:39 PM

If the Mets are dumb enough to give this guy $8 million+ per season, I have a sinking feeling that the market for pitchers that are actually good will be way over what we can afford.

Please don't ruin the market, Omar.
That is one of the greediest things i have ever heard. Who does he think he is. He is Kris Freaking Benson. He is being offered 3 years @ 6.75 mil per year. Thats a heck of a lot for a guy who has never been an all star, never been a top of rotation guy, never posted a sub 3 era and 20 win season. And he has the nerve to demand 3 years @ 8.3 mil per year. All this over a freaking 1.5 mil difference. Who cares, although i must say 8.3 is a lot for a guy with the above mentioned non-accomplishments. But still why even quibble over 1.5 mil more per year give all that. Its just greed. He should be lucky he is getting that much from the mets to being with.

LAWSfan
11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
That is one of the greediest things i have ever heard. Who does he think he is. He is Kris Freaking Benson. He is being offered 3 years @ 6.75 mil per year. Thats a heck of a lot for a guy who has never been an all star, never been a top of rotation guy, never posted a sub 3 era and 20 win season. And he has the nerve to demand 3 years @ 8.3 mil per year. All this over a freaking 1.5 mil difference. Who cares, although i must say 8.3 is a lot for a guy with the above mentioned non-accomplishments. But still why even quibble over 1.5 mil more per year give all that. Its just greed. He should be lucky he is getting that much from the mets to being with.
Do you understand econ? When you go buy a car, do you pay the sticker price? If you do, I know car salesmen love you. If you're a carpenter or plumber, would you ask for below what you felt you were worth?

There is a big difference between asking and getting. Benson can ask for any amount of money he wants. But no owners have a gun to their heads forcing them to pay the asking price.

Jabroni
11-17-2004, 03:27 PM
I think the Mets offer is a little high for Benson. Locking up Garcia is looking like a better move all the time.Good point! :thumbsup:

CubKilla
11-17-2004, 04:30 PM
If Benson is going to get that much it will set the starting gate for what a pictcher like Pavano will get. I really wish that and a few other of our tags would go away.
Don't worry. The Sox aren't getting either of them.

Lip Man 1
11-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Mohoney says: "If Benson gets this deal, we can forget about Pavano, Radke, or any of the proven pitchers on the Free Agent market."

Mohoney the Sox weren't getting any of those guys anyway regardless of how Benson sets the market.

Lip

FarWestChicago
11-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Mohoney says: "If Benson gets this deal, we can forget about Pavano, Radke, or any of the proven pitchers on the Free Agent market."

Mohoney the Sox weren't getting any of those guys anyway regardless of how Benson sets the market.

Lip:cleo

First I got da Feds on my ass and now I got da Lip Mon, too!

Daver
11-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Lmao!