PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza blaming "tired shoulder"

Jjav829
11-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Well, technically his agent is the one saying it, so I shouldn't put words in his mouth. Nonetheless, the excuses are coming out that Loaiza sucked last year because of a fatigued shoulder. Loaiza's agent says he considered shutting it down around the all-star break, but was then traded.

LO-DOWN: It's unlikely that Esteban Loaiza will return to the Yankees next season, but the righty's agent, John Boggs, said yesterday his client wasn't 100% when he pitched in the Bronx this year. "His shoulder was so tired that he was thinking of shutting it down for a month around the All-Star break," Boggs said. "Then he got traded to the Yankees. Who would shut it down at that point? He wanted to pitch."
Loaiza ended up in the bullpen, and Boggs said the rest he received allowed him to regain his strength, which is why he pitched effectively in relief during the postseason.
Link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/253080p-216682c.html)

Flight #24
11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Sounds like a perfect $1mil long reliever to me:cool: Keep that shoulder rested E-lo!

Rocky Soprano
11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
So had he stayed with the Sox, he would of quit on us? And just because he became a Yankee he decided to keep it going?

What a bunch of crap! :angry:

NonetheLoaiza
11-16-2004, 05:17 PM
So had he stayed with the Sox, he would of quit on us? And just because he became a Yankee he decided to keep it going?

What a bunch of crap! :angry:well imagine the mess that would have ensued had he shut it down after going to the yanks. we would have a lesser version of sirotkagate.

There is our big free agent pitcher acquisition of the offseason (or reacquisition rather).

Brian26
11-16-2004, 05:24 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Loaiza back here as our 5th starter or long reliever out of the pen.

NonetheLoaiza
11-16-2004, 05:27 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Loaiza back here as our 5th starter or long reliever out of the pen.
neither would i. i would actually applaud the move. the worst that could happen is that he is put in the bullpen, and i dont think he is going to command a big salary. but lets hope that if we did take another chance on him that that was not kw's only big move this offseason.

Soxzilla
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM
How about not?

Why would we need another pitcher with an era above 5 on our team, don't we have enough of those?

I mean, E Lo will forever be in my heart for that season he gave us back in 2003. But I want to win a championship, and I don't think a rotation of Buehrle - Garcia - Contreras - Garland - E Lo has a significant chance of doing that. Especially when Cliff politte is in our pen ... and jon adkins ... and neal cotts.

Now maybe, just maybe, if we sign like, a high calibur free agent pitcher, that puts us into the 'contender' range ... then I'll think about bringing back the guy that bashed us for not giving him enough run support.

dickallen15
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Don Cooper mentioned several times that ELo had a tired shoulder. Really not news.

munchman33
11-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Why not give him the same deal we gave him two years ago. Little money this year, with a 4 million dollar option next year. If he'd go for it, I'd certainly bite. We've all seen his upside.

maurice
11-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I thought all his problems were due to lack of run support.

ELo's starting to sound like a whiny POS. Face it, bro . . . 2003 was a Brady-Anderson-esque fluke in an otherwise disappointng career.

NonetheLoaiza
11-17-2004, 11:43 AM
well cmon, for a cheap price he is a definite upgrade in the bullpen...that is if he doesnt go scott shoeneweis on us by moaning and complaining.

Randar68
11-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I believe it. Loaiza was actually pretty good early in the season. The longer the season went on, the lower his velocity dropped and the worse he was...

Mickster
11-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind having Esteban back as our 5th starter. He's still better than anyone we've thrown in there in the last 3 years. Gives us a chance to get at least 10 wins out of the 5th starter slot!

I would still prefer a top-of-the-rotation stater pushing Garland down to #5, though.....

spanishwhite
11-17-2004, 12:46 PM
How about not?

Why would we need another pitcher with an era above 5 on our team, don't we have enough of those?

I mean, E Lo will forever be in my heart for that season he gave us back in 2003. But I want to win a championship, and I don't think a rotation of Buehrle - Garcia - Contreras - Garland - E Lo has a significant chance of doing that. Especially when Cliff politte is in our pen ... and jon adkins ... and neal cotts.

Now maybe, just maybe, if we sign like, a high calibur free agent pitcher, that puts us into the 'contender' range ... then I'll think about bringing back the guy that bashed us for not giving him enough run support.
I definitely believe it.

Did you see him in the playoffs? His velocity was constantly b/t 91-94. I find it no coincidence that boston only scored one earned run and had only a couple of hits in six innings pitched in the postseason.

There is no harm in signing him to a 1 million dollar deal as an insurance policy to a bad offseason.

SOXSINCE'70
11-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Don Cooper mentioned several times that ELo had a tired shoulder. Really not news.
Agreed.:yup: What SP's shoulder isn't tired after the ASB??

Mohoney
11-17-2004, 02:47 PM
If we end up trading Garland, we're going to need 2 pitchers anyway.

We couple a free agent signing or Vazquez trade with a Loaiza signing, and we might be talking about a very good rotation here:

Garcia
Buehrle
Vazquez, Radke, Ortiz, Pavano, etc.
Loaiza
Contreras

Then add Troy Percival to the bullpen, and we're much better there as well.